Why do my players not use the set pieces I specify ??

I'm moving up in the leagues and its getting more difficult against these bigger teams so I feel set pieces could be an advantage with a couple of my giants.

I've been really digging into my teams play and have started setting up the set pieces in the hopes I can gain a goal or two or defend them to limit opposition chances.

Here is how i'm setting up to defend against the opponents Direct chances. I'm wanting my big players to make the wall.

1643527381_FrDRD.png.d239240f6cf1dc3385d11dbe3b13b467.png

495069922_FrDLD.png.5d9b8982046e7c5ddfb6ab24cebd1995.png

Here is whats happening in the match when the opposition have a direct freekick- No player creating a wall !!! 

The opposition Free kick taker (8) unleashed a shot right at goal and hit the post.

427758598_Frnowall.png.5b40cce1d094a497cc7822eec3e268c9.png

Any ideas whats causing this?

I'm also experiencing it when attacking, trying to get my long throw into the box to my big DCL who I set to attack near post yet hes back towards our own half and no anywhere near his specified position. He will only go up front when I set him as go forward.

Its so frustrating, should I just set everything on auto?  

Edited by hehehemann

Set pieces are the biggest improvement needed for FM22, imho.  I've faced a lot of instances where my players don't follow basic instructions.

Btw, I would advise not putting your biggest players on the wall.  Your opponents will be sending their tallest, best jumping/heading players towards goal and you'll want your best aerial players there to combat them.

1 hour ago, glengarry224 said:

Set pieces are the biggest improvement needed for FM22, imho.  I've faced a lot of instances where my players don't follow basic instructions.

Btw, I would advise not putting your biggest players on the wall.  Your opponents will be sending their tallest, best jumping/heading players towards goal and you'll want your best aerial players there to combat them.

My thinking was to put the biggest in the wall when its a direct freekick, as they do IRL. For the other set pieces I have my biggest man marking.

I gave up with the set pieces and just went back to default. The players just didnt do as specified so I feel its a waste of time delving into that side of the game.