Make it possible for 4 at the back to become 3 at the back with defensive full backs.

_mxrky

Many managers defend with a 4 at the back, but in possession use 3 at the back. Now in fm the only proper way to achieve it is to have a half back, but it cannot be achieved with the full backs as fb(d) and iwb (d) even on sit narrower stay to wide to build up in a back 3. 

On 14/09/2021 at 15:57, MasterKano said:

Surely playing two "advanced" wingbacks on automatic or attack with 3 centerbacks is a solution to the problem or am I misinterpreting the situation?

Yes. Because I want to defend in a 4 and not a 5 at the back

21 hours ago, _mxrky said:

Yes. Because I want to defend in a 4 and not a 5 at the back

If you leave the wings open then the two advanced wingbacks act as wingers when on attack duty.

It fully depends on the roles you use. If you've got one fullback on attack and the other on defend, depending on your dominant side, then you'll effectively be playing 3 defenders when out of possession because the fullback on attacking duty will get forward more often.

2 hours ago, MasterKano said:

If you leave the wings open then the two advanced wingbacks act as wingers when on attack duty.

It fully depends on the roles you use. If you've got one fullback on attack and the other on defend, depending on your dominant side, then you'll effectively be playing 3 defenders when out of possession because the fullback on attacking duty will get forward more often.

Yes and that’s what I’m doing currently, but the 3rd full back doesn’t act as a cb in possession like I am looking for. Especially when I am looking to build up play from the back the defensive full back is not narrow enough to form a back 3. Only sometimes when the attack is already very developed are they narrow 

6 hours ago, _mxrky said:

Yes and that’s what I’m doing currently, but the 3rd full back doesn’t act as a cb in possession like I am looking for. Especially when I am looking to build up play from the back the defensive full back is not narrow enough to form a back 3. Only sometimes when the attack is already very developed are they narrow 

Ah I see, you want an option for the non-attacking duty fullback to shuttle across and act as a half-centerhalf whilst you have the ball and then shuttle back across when the opposition has the ball and return back to the fullback on defending duty with the rest of the defenders to fall back into their original positions.

So you want dynamic defending with regards to position, very similar to how Arsenal do it when Tierney goes forward and fails to recover and then leaves the left-sided centerhalf under pressure.

9 hours ago, MasterKano said:

Ah I see, you want an option for the non-attacking duty fullback to shuttle across and act as a half-centerhalf whilst you have the ball and then shuttle back across when the opposition has the ball and return back to the fullback on defending duty with the rest of the defenders to fall back into their original positions.

So you want dynamic defending with regards to position, very similar to how Arsenal do it when Tierney goes forward and fails to recover and then leaves the left-sided centerhalf under pressure.

Exactly that

• 2 months later...
  • SI Staff

We appreciate you taking already been flagged as a request within the community, so has already been documented and is part of our internal database of features for consideration. Like all features raised to us, it could end up rejected, or could after extensive design and development become a part of a future FM.