Viewable training natches

Platinum

Training matches that are scheduled in the training calendar should be able to be viewed with the Match Engine. Failing this intra squad friendlies should be able to be scheduled at any point during the season.

The reason for this is that I want to be able to see how my tactics work in training before I try out the tactic in a match. In real life a manager would always be looking at and tweaking a tactic during training before trying it in a match. I also want to see how different players perform in different roles and positions. In FM I am forced to try out a tactic in a match without having any  idea of how it will work on the pitch beforehand, potentially with disastrous results.

Coaching is the bread and butter of the modern day manager and making training matches viewable will add more importance to the training part of the game. Rather than it essentially being the "tick boxing" spreasheet exercise that it currently is (where we just choose a very broad training exercise in a training slot and that's it).

Also I just want to note that I realise the massive strides training has made in recent years, and they are appreciated :)

Edited by Platinum

On 19/09/2021 at 16:55, Platinum said:

In real life a manager would always be looking at and tweaking a tactic during training before trying it in a match

The thing is that training IRL is different from training in football manager. IRL training is partly for the players to learn and perfect the system and partly individual training to improve weakness of the players that doesn't fit the system. 

In football manager, training is only to improve the the attributes of your players and I know there is tactical familiarity but you can ignore that and still have success it's not like IRL where you can shout at a player to tell him where you want him in different phases of the game.

While I understand your point of view I just think it's pointless and you have friendlies at the beginning of the season to try out tactic. you've also got draft mode where you can buy the exact players for your team and play against the AI

47 minutos atrás, DarJ disse:

While I understand your point of view I just think it's pointless and you have friendlies at the beginning of the season to try out tactic. you've also got draft mode where you can buy the exact players for your team and play against the AI

The problem is that teams perform very differently in friendlies than in real matches. I did try tactics which were excellent in friendlies and a complete disaster when the championship started, because no teams played really serious at pre-season. I read about some players which set up a new tactic, create a copy of the savegame, advance some matches and when the tactic is really good, they come back to the original point and do the right changes (something I don´t consider very fair, but ok). Another ones have a different save (sometimes in FM Touch) with a very similar team to the main one that they are managing, or with an excellent team instead, and use that parallel save to test tactics before using them at the main one. All this movements would not be necessary if we could opt to see some training matches with the Match Engine - this option could be "on" and "off", we don´t need to see all training but some would be really helpful.

2 hours ago, DarJ said:

The thing is that training IRL is different from training in football manager. IRL training is partly for the players to learn and perfect the system and partly individual training to improve weakness of the players that doesn't fit the system. 

In football manager, training is only to improve the the attributes of your players and I know there is tactical familiarity but you can ignore that and still have success it's not like IRL where you can shout at a player to tell him where you want him in different phases of the game.

Thats why the point of this feature suggestion is to give more focus on the 'playing as a team' and tweaking your tactics part. 

In response to your points in the last sentence:

1. I, and all managers in real life, make tactical changes throughout the season, they are constantly evolving. You don't try a tactic in preseason and use it for the whole season with no changes. Opponents change their tactics in response to your success, which means you need to change your tactics.

2. I'm not going to start playing a whole new game mode just so that I can test tactics.

Edited by Platinum

• 2 months later...
  • SI Staff

Thanks for taking the time to raise this here. This is something which has already been flagged as a request within the community, so has already been documented and is part of our internal database of features for consideration. Like all features raised to us, it could end up rejected, or could after extensive design and development become a part of a future FM