All opponent shots from 25 to 30 yards go in

I've been playing for a week now, and regardless of formation or philosophy, my goalkeepers seem completely unable to deal with long shots. I don't mind losing our conceding goals, but every goalie I've tried just watches shots sail in from miles away. It is infuriating, getting a goal from that distance should not be that easy, and any keeper that is consistently beaten from that sort of range would never be selected for an amateur side, let alone get paid. It is really hurting my enjoyment of an otherwise great game from a franchise I've loved since 00/01

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, Vossenoren said:

I've been playing for a week now, and regardless of formation or philosophy, my goalkeepers seem completely unable to deal with long shots. I don't mind losing our conceding goals, but every goalie I've tried just watches shots sail in from miles away. It is infuriating, getting a goal from that distance should not be that easy, and any keeper that is consistently beaten from that sort of range would never be selected for an amateur side, let alone get paid. It is really hurting my enjoyment of an otherwise great game from a franchise I've loved since 00/01

Can I check which match engine you're using? - the 'original' (ie. non-enhanced one) is quite long in the tooth now (it was written around 2012) and has its 2d mapped on top of its internal event engine so isn't wholly accurate at all times, if you're using that then I'd recommend you switch to the enhanced one (the original match engine is best watched using the radio commentary imho as that is what it was originally designed for).

I am using the enhanced engine. It is really excellent in many ways, there are some things that my players do that drive me nuts, but that's managing lower leagues for you, it's just the long shots that break my soul

Edited by Vossenoren
Initially couldn't find info

• SI Staff
16 hours ago, Vossenoren said:

I am using the enhanced engine. It is really excellent in many ways, there are some things that my players do that drive me nuts, but that's managing lower leagues for you, it's just the long shots that break my soul

If you're conceding a lot from long-shots (especially in the lower leagues) then pressing more might help ensure the opposition don't get the time to look up and place shots ... the other common cause of this sort of issue is a keeper with poor concentration who might not have been paying attention so reacted late to the shot.

Thanks Mr Vaughan. 

I looked around the boards and it didn't seem like a widespread issue, so I adjusted my tactics to be more aggressive in front of my own goal by playing two ball winning midfielders and the problem had mostly ended, but I do maintain, given enough space, most serie c mids become zinedine Zidane :D

Edited by Vossenoren
Misspelled name

23 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

If you're conceding a lot from long-shots (especially in the lower leagues) then pressing more might help ensure the opposition don't get the time to look up and place shots ... the other common cause of this sort of issue is a keeper with poor concentration who might not have been paying attention so reacted late to the shot.

Case in point, blew a 3-0 lead after a player got sent off, all 4 goals from 25+ yards out. :mad: admittedly I should have sacrificed a striker to maintain my midfield shape, but 4 wonder strikes from a team that had previously not even seen my half of the field? Vis Pesaro v Fermana F.C. (26-9-2021 1041).pkm