Who plays one single long save?

I often do one long save, sometimes 2, although I do play quite slowly.  This year I've done a journeyman save but normally I stay at one club for the entire game.

I don't get bored as I normally go to a lower league team in Eastern Europe meaning the journey to the top is a long one, ensuring there's always something new to aim for.

I have just one save in FM 2021. Which lasted just 2 seasons haha.

I've played one match per day. With Werder Bremen. On some days I didn't even play a single game so it took months for me to complete two season save.

I won Champions League and the treble in second season already and I lost interest
PaFwBuq.png.9bb2b38bf8624bdce54e9bfef6a1ff44.png

I always wanted to do a journeyman or try another club...but i play only Hertha 99,99% since FM15 or something.
It`s just my favourite club and my other like Liverpool are already too strong, so its not fun. Big Clubs are not interesting for me.

But on FM22..i HOPEFULLY do it finally and train random clubs. :3

Nothing against that, but I usually start a new save after 10 seasons or so (3 months IRL). Yet, the idea of playing a single save for the whole year is intriguing. It's just that I don't enjoy the game as much after 20 seasons, because all players become artificial and the whole experience starts feeling a bit too abstract to my liking. Back to the future...

Edited by phd_angel

I purchased FM19 in a Steam sale in February 2019. Fired it up, started unemployed. 2.5 real years, 13 FM seasons and 3,500 Steam hours later (I play full highlights, so takes a while), my career has taken me from Albion Rovers in Scottish League 2 to Barnet in League 2 to current team Sheffield Wednesday for 8 seasons. 

I've never had an FM save that has held my interest for so long, and this longevity is the sole reason I havent felt the need to invest in FM20 or FM21. I still have ambitions for a new challenge in Germany or Italy at the end of my current season, so will be touch & go if I get to play FM22!

I thought I'd lose interest once real players started to be replaced with regens, but its kind of been the opposite. It's been great bringing youngsters through the ranks into the first team, as well as building relationships with players and continuing their careers as my coaches/ scouts once they retire. It's also been fun following the careers of players I've let go or missed out on. One ex-loanee I opted against signing on a free a couple seasons ago is now worth 100m, for example!

Am keen to have a similar experience with FM22 (would need a new laptop most likely too, though),  but will see how the next couple months FM19 gameplay go...

Edited by AlexJames

I generally do long term saves of 30+ years but I do manage a few saves each release like that as last few years I’ve had a lot of down time with the death of a parent and then COVID lockdowns and the like.

Last time I had just a one save release was FM18 I think when I had a really enjoyable journeyman.

Started out at Hearts I believe, could have been Aberdeen. Took them to the title and Champions League football and then left for Watford after around 7/8 years. Had a few years with them before a great 4 years at Sampdoria winning two quadruples of Serie A, Italian Cup, Italian Community Shield and Europa League before moving on to a frustrating time at the Yellow Submarine, Villarreal. Around a decade there where I could not break the duopoly of Real and Barca before going back to Scotland to take over League 1 Airdrie who I took all the way up into Europe over roughly 20 years. All in all it was 39 years, remember that clearly as I was torn to reach 40 or start the next BETA.

This year I’ll probably have a BETA save and then going to try for one save with proper release doing a slightly watered down Pentagon Challenge. It won’t be heavily focused on achieving the challenge but more force me to go round the world as I want to avoid the big five leagues and really play all those countries and leagues most people don’t run towards…except America. Coz f*** that player contract bull**** :idiot::lol:

On 30/09/2021 at 04:40, AlexJames said:

I purchased FM19 in a Steam sale in February 2019. Fired it up, started unemployed. 2.5 real years, 13 FM seasons and 3,500 Steam hours later (I play full highlights, so takes a while), my career has taken me from Albion Rovers in Scottish League 2 to Barnet in League 2 to current team Sheffield Wednesday for 8 seasons. 

I've never had an FM save that has held my interest for so long, and this longevity is the sole reason I havent felt the need to invest in FM20 or FM21. I still have ambitions for a new challenge in Germany or Italy at the end of my current season, so will be touch & go if I get to play FM22!

I thought I'd lose interest once real players started to be replaced with regens, but its kind of been the opposite. It's been great bringing youngsters through the ranks into the first team, as well as building relationships with players and continuing their careers as my coaches/ scouts once they retire. It's also been fun following the careers of players I've let go or missed out on. One ex-loanee I opted against signing on a free a couple seasons ago is now worth 100m, for example!

Am keen to have a similar experience with FM22 (would need a new laptop most likely too, though),  but will see how the next couple months FM19 gameplay go...

When you say full highlights do you mean full match?

I’ve tried playing as one team and then restarting a new save when I become bored but simply don’t enjoy playing like this. For the last couple of iterations of the game I’ve been a journeyman for the whole of my save until the game slows too much for me and then I start a totally new save for the last couple of months before the next version. I probably have too many leagues loaded because if I played with far fewer leagues the game would probably not slow down enough to stop me playing.

I usually play one long journeyman save, Starting in the Conference North/ South, I run 50+ leagues so there's plenty of career options available. My FM21 save lasted from Beta until the end of winter. I started with Chester and ending up at Sunderland, via Bohemians and Greenock Morton. I just ran out of steam in the end. I think I'd overdone it with FM 20 during lockdown - so didn't really enjoy FM 21 as much as I should have.

Stepping away from the game over the summer has done me a world of good. I'm looking forward to the new release with my batteries recharged and ready for another long term save (patches permitting).

This is the first time I've done it and it's been a 10 season one with Braga. I've really enjoyed it as it feels like the world has developed quite a lot with new stars etc and my Braga team are right up there now. 

To be honest I don't keep up to date with football that much so I would probably have kept 21' and started a new game somewhere like Wales, but I think I will get '22 as the start of the season in '21 is annoying due to covid. Plus I am intrigued by the new changes. 

I do a single save per version exclusively.

FM16: I took a created team from the Vanarama North/South to the Prem over about 10 seasons. 

FM19: I played 3-4 seasons as my beloved Greenbay Packers in a custom USA database that created a pyramid out of all the US sports franchises.

FM21: Currently in 2031 in a totally unmodded database as a journeyman coach. Currently challenging in the Champions League with Vigo after completely dominating Asian football with Beijing for like 3-4 seasons and an unremarkable stint with IK Sirius in Sweden. 

I've thoroughly enjoyed all the saves. The Journeyman save in particular has been surprisingly satisfying. I didn't think I was going to get as into it without a single club to dedicate myself to, but it's been very fun.

Next save, which may be FM22, I am going to do another journeyman save but with the "realism" database and start at the bottom of the bottom of football and see how I fare in that challenge. Looking forward to it.