Achadh Lon – a Football Manager 2021 Tactic

It has been a few months since the last piece was written on here, so felt compelled to release something new for you guys. The Achadh Lon tactic is named after my grandfathers birthplace, and is a tribute to a man who is very much missed.

A tactic which in theory shouldn’t work but it does! There is no attackers and no Shadow Strikers and this has been very much a thinking outside the box tactic, which has seen me take Burnley to dizzying success in recent seasons (documented on Twitter).

I have tested the tactic with Burnley (obvs), PSG and Leverkusen with a great deal of success. I now feel after a few tweaks we are at a level to see a release.

Achadh Lon – Playing Style

We will be looking to exact a pass and move style of play. We will by design be taking a high-risk approach by proactively looking to penetrate space in the half-space when in possession. Restricting space when out of possession, we will be using the counter-press approach to apply more pressure on the opposition, with the aim of forcing mistakes.

We will develop attacks carefully by cycling possession. Creating pockets of space by pulling opposition players out of position. We will be making use of a shorter passing game, in particular in the more defensive-minded areas with a view to becoming more penetrative in the attacking areas.

The key attributes for this tactic are First Touch, Passing, Technique, Anticipation, Composure and Decisions.

Very much a thinking mans tactic the DNA is based on the above and requires intelligent players for the system to work.

The Achadh Lon – Formation

I decided that a flat four at the back by playing with width down the left and more narrow on the right hand side did exactly what I wanted. This enabled us to keep defensively solid with the IWB filling in to make a back three when the FB pushes higher up the pitch.

There are a variety of individual player instructions which I won’t list below due to a combination of time constraints and also the fact you’ll see them when you’ve downloaded it.

achadhlon.png?resize=640%2C600&ssl=1

In Possession Instructions

IP.png?resize=640%2C411&ssl=1

In Transition Instructions

IT.png?resize=640%2C406&ssl=1

This tactic is producing some incredible victories, including a 10-0 thrashing of Ajax in the Champions League. Michael Olise has been an absolute fantastic signing for us and this tactic really turns him into a wrecking machine. He has fired us to League, FA Cup & Champions League success with a string of impressive performances.

• olise.png?resize=640%2C384&ssl=1
  • genperf.png?resize=640%2C410&ssl=1
  • psg1-2.png?resize=640%2C391&ssl=1
  • bayer04.png?resize=640%2C410&ssl=1
  • burno.png?resize=640%2C450&ssl=1
  • esr.png?resize=640%2C343&ssl=1
  • burnley5.png?resize=640%2C373&ssl=1
  • burnley4.png?resize=640%2C336&ssl=1
  • burnley3.png?resize=640%2C347&ssl=1

Summary

Another strikerless tactic which really goes against the theory of needing at least a Shadow Striker to do well on the game. This tactic makes use of the balanced philosophy to make sure it is both effective in defence but also clinical in attack.

Shout out to @RDFTactics as used an idea from one of his recent tactic videos in getting the AML to man-mark the RB which I found to be quite effective so props on that!

If you find you are struggling to get goals against teams you should be beating consider ratcheting up the mentality to Positive.

>> Download Link <<

1 hour ago, Jimbo1975 said:

How was your team? Managers has teams full of wonderkids in 2026:D

Decent but shouldn't be winning all those trophies. I've got Bright Arrey-Mbi, Felipe Soares, Dwight McNeill, Olimpiu Morutan, Michael Olise, Emile Smith Rowe, Axel Tuanzebe, Cameron Carter-Vickers amongst a few others & regens coming through.