FM on Switch

Hello all,

With the devastating news of FM Touch’s death on tablet and PC, can anybody give me their reviews on the Switch version?

What are the differences/quirks in comparison to tablet and PC version of Touch?

hace 1 hora, RTHerringbone dijo:

Hopefully the 3 nation limit is addressed in the new version. This review of FM21 is generally favourable. Sounds like navigating menus is OK once you get used to it.

I have bought it a couple of years. It is not a bad version, but it is the most limited.

The limit of 3 nations is the big problem in my opinion...

Edited by Loren1983

I had FMT on the table but the older ones and then FMT on Switch. It is pretty much the same experience. 3 Nations limitations, graphics, the benefit of the switch you don't have different types of tablets and hardware to be afraid of if it will work. It just does. And you can play it via TV or on the Switch directly, of course.

16 hours ago, Br3nB said:

Doesn’t sound too bad then, looks like I’m getting a Switch!

Just don't expect it necessarily to be a long term home for FMT.

I imagine SI either have some agreement in place with Microsoft and Nintendo regarding FMT as "exclusive" platforms or they had sunk so much time developing FM22 for those devices that they were beyond the point of no return.

I still think FMT will be a goner across all platforms within 2 years.

5 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

I imagine SI either have some agreement in place with Microsoft and Nintendo regarding FMT as "exclusive" platforms or they had sunk so much time developing FM22 for those devices that they were beyond the point of no return.

I came to that conclusion a few years ago, but had little hope not to be true.

But seeing what happen now, I share your vision. FMT on Switch and XBox versions will be goners in 2 to 3 years. it will join FM Live, FM Stadia, FM Linux and FMT. Their focus was always FM and FM Mobile.

Edited by grade

On 06/10/2021 at 21:13, Br3nB said:

Hello all,

With the devastating news of FM Touch’s death on tablet and PC, can anybody give me their reviews on the Switch version?

What are the differences/quirks in comparison to tablet and PC version of Touch?

If you want to play FMT on a laptop with a 10 nation limit instead of just 3, the Xbox Edition may be an option? 

I got the switch last year just for FM. To be honest I didn't have time to play the full game and just wanted something I could fly through a season on.

Any time I got FM mobile I thought it was far to easy, I won the CL with Celtic on it last year.

FM touch on the switch was perfect, it felt as hard as the previous laptop version's, but just without the boring pre match interview and team talks. 

Training and backroom staff is very basic on it, but the game itself was very enjoyable.

On last year's game I'd definitely recommend, the only downside is the 3 nation rule, and in terms of graphics, I always play 2d anyway #oldschool

That sounds very good pal, I’m exactly the same, not bothered about 3D or having to talk with my players all the time.

To be honest I only ever had a laptop for FM Touch, so I can now save myself money and get a Switch instead as I don’t bother with Playstation anymore either!

25 minutes ago, Br3nB said:

That sounds very good pal, I’m exactly the same, not bothered about 3D or having to talk with my players all the time.

To be honest I only ever had a laptop for FM Touch, so I can now save myself money and get a Switch instead as I don’t bother with Playstation anymore either!

Yeah I got the PS4 the day it came out and haven't bought a game for it since 😂

Just hope Nintendo don't bring out a new console any time soon.

Any date on when the game is coming out?

I was one of the many stupid people to fall for FMT on the Switch last year....I've been a FMC/ FMT user for many years......the fact that that they didn't add a editor or any unlockables, and they limited it to 3 nations (which is the requirement for cross saving) but did not allow cross saving (there are a few games that you can save across to a steam game) overall FMT 21 Switch ran stupidly slow after 3 seasons, the match engine was buggy annnnnnd you didn't get the updates FMT android/PC got.

Overall, I'd say stay away. FM mobile would have been a better fit for the Switch. 

5 hours ago, FelixLeon said:

I was one of the many stupid people to fall for FMT on the Switch last year....I've been a FMC/ FMT user for many years......the fact that that they didn't add a editor or any unlockables, and they limited it to 3 nations (which is the requirement for cross saving) but did not allow cross saving (there are a few games that you can save across to a steam game) overall FMT 21 Switch ran stupidly slow after 3 seasons, the match engine was buggy annnnnnd you didn't get the updates FMT android/PC got.

Overall, I'd say stay away. FM mobile would have been a better fit for the Switch. 

I'm going to respectfully disagree with some of your points regarding the Switch version. FM 2021 on the switch was excellent, it had it's downfalls as you have pointed out - the 3 nation limitation is definitely one major con. It's interesting you stated it was due to cross save functionality as I've never heard that, and now hope that with no requirement for cross saving SI might allow for more nations to be loaded.

I can't say i noticed any vast slow down after 3 seasons (max nations/leagues loaded), the match engine I assume is the same across all versions of FM but i tend to play in 2D mode only so maybe i didn't see the bugs. As for the unlockables/editor stuff, that isn't my bag but can see why that's frustrating for some. 

I've brought FMT every year possible for the Switch. You could tell that they put some love into the release of FM2021 for consoles, the speed against previous versions was vastly improved and the UI had major work done to support controllers. If Fm 2022 allows for more nations and continues on the path of optimisation then I will be very happy. 

Oh I expect everyone or anyone to agree,I just found the Switch versions to be lackluster, when I meant the 3 nation limit, that is the FMT limit if you want to have cloud saving/cross saving etc, so it was weird how the Switch had the limit but no cross/cloud saving (it's easily done via steam log in as I played Divinity Sin 2 that had steam cloud saving). I will be curious if it'll be a standalone game or if the FMT22 Switch is compatible with any of the other versions.

Unfortunately I noticed it getting rather sluggish after my 3rd season, plus with a small database I was shocked....although the Switch isn't exactly a powerhouse unit. The match engine wise/bugs I think it's because the Switch didn't get the big updates, or seemed to miss out on 1 or 2.

The unlockables thing have just been a part 9f FMC/FMT for years, they were nice rewards to have for doing well, plus they sort of offset the fact there's never been an editor (you could say they were sweeteners lol)

Oh I'm not knocking them, they do improve on certain areas each year, n at times it's very noticeable I was just disappointed with last year's Switch version (in fact I played FMT 21 on my Samsung Tab7+ more than my Switch)

On 18/10/2021 at 13:46, DeepLyingForward said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree with some of your points regarding the Switch version. FM 2021 on the switch was excellent, it had it's downfalls as you have pointed out - the 3 nation limitation is definitely one major con. It's interesting you stated it was due to cross save functionality as I've never heard that, and now hope that with no requirement for cross saving SI might allow for more nations to be loaded.

I can't say i noticed any vast slow down after 3 seasons (max nations/leagues loaded), the match engine I assume is the same across all versions of FM but i tend to play in 2D mode only so maybe i didn't see the bugs. As for the unlockables/editor stuff, that isn't my bag but can see why that's frustrating for some. 

I've brought FMT every year possible for the Switch. You could tell that they put some love into the release of FM2021 for consoles, the speed against previous versions was vastly improved and the UI had major work done to support controllers. If Fm 2022 allows for more nations and continues on the path of optimisation then I will be very happy. 

100% agree! 

5 hours ago, CillianDyas said:

Anyone know when the game is out? I see the last few years it wasn't until December? Hardly going to have to wait that long are we?

I am going to guess it'll be circa 3 weeks from the full release of FM on the 9th November. I base this on past releases of FM. 

Purely a guess but I'd say switch release will be week commencing 29th November. 

On 12/10/2021 at 00:38, RTHerringbone said:

Yeah, with the news this season, I’m afraid of this being the case. FMT quickly became my favorite version on iOS iPad Pro. The Switch version has a much smaller screen when handheld. Switch’s touch screen also seems way less responsive compared to a tablet. 

I think using buttons is a novelty that some might enjoy. But it just felt like a lot of buttons to remember. I just wanted to tap on screen and it often was unresponsive on the Switch. seeing it on the TV so easily when dropped into the dock was nice. But as a toddler dad, my kids don’t usually want dad’s text based game on the TV. 

I really hope we’ll see FMT on tablet and PC/Mac again, but fear it didn’t do as well as I thought it was doing. Honestly, I had hoped it would merge with mobile. But now here we are with settling for a version on a handheld console only. And one I can’t have out during a meeting at work. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Curtneedsaride