[FM22] Athletic Club: Cantera-attacking our way to glory

dothestrand

Even for the start of the third season, I only had 8m and I've been selling off the bit-part players to build up the transfer kitty. Though I have added to it more through a huge gamble.

I sold Inaki Williams to PSG. They pursued him all Summer and unsettled him. His value was around the 25m mark, so I pushed them to 32.5m, but possibly could've squeezed them for more. Getting his wages off the payroll will help as well. He has been our best player overall over the last two seasons, so it's definitely risky. But he should hopefully fund some squad improvements (EDIT: Odriozola!!!). The good news is we have a replacement - his brother, Nico! He returned from a loan in Germany massively improved. Let's see if this works or was a mistake!

Edited by dothestrand

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, dothestrand said:

Even for the start of the third season, I only had 8m and I've been selling off the bit-part players to build up the transfer kitty. Though I have added to it more through a huge gamble.

I sold Inaki Williams to PSG. They pursued him all Summer and unsettled him. His value was around the 25m mark, so I pushed them to 32.5m, but possibly could've squeezed them for more. Getting his wages off the payroll will help as well. He has been our best player overall over the last two seasons, so it's definitely risky. But he should hopefully fund some squad improvements (EDIT: Odriozola!!!). The good news is we have a replacement - his brother, Nico! He returned from a loan in Germany massively improved. Let's see if this works or was a mistake!

I’m nearly at the end of my second season so I’ll let you know, but I expect my budget will be better than last year with the Champions League money. We reached the quarters so got an extra 15million gbp in prize money or something for playing only those two knockout rounds: la liga revenue is based off average position last five years too so it should improve every year for the first few seasons while you get rid of mid table finishes from that calculation

7 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

I’m nearly at the end of my second season so I’ll let you know, but I expect my budget will be better than last year with the Champions League money. We reached the quarters so got an extra 15million gbp in prize money or something for playing only those two knockout rounds: la liga revenue is based off average position last five years too so it should improve every year for the first few seasons while you get rid of mid table finishes from that calculation

I take it all back, budget of 6.5million...erm...?

2022/23 Season Review - So Close

Crazy final day! We were third going into the final day behind Real Madrid and Valencia both on tiebreaker. We were away at Celta Vigo, tactically a tricky one for us. Valencia were home against Betis and had been comfortably winning the league for a while, but had stumbled in the closing weeks, while Real Madrid were away at Getafe.

While we were in a tight battle with Celta, both Real Madrid and Valencia took early leads. Real Madrid then doubled their advantage shortly afterwards, as did Valencia. Meanwhile we went 2-0 down against Celta Vigo in the latter stages of the opening half despite having the better of the game overall, so when half time struck we were down in 4th behind Sevilla who were winning their game (but couldn't win the title) and of course Valencia and Real Madrid. Then the fun really started...

Within 15minutes of the second half starting Real had conceded twice against Getafe, meanwhile Valencia had given up a goal against Betis also. We then proceeded to pull two goals back against Celta to make it 2-2, and as our second went in Real conceded a third against Getafe!! We went into 2nd place in an instant and we were dominating against Celta, pushing for the winner.

5 minutes to go and we have a highlight, but at the same time I see it pop up that Valencia had conceded again... 2-2! We needed a late goal to snatch an unlikely title...as the highlight starts we have the ball, worked up nicely but a through ball doesn't find it's man. The highlight continues, they play it short, work it up the left hand side and a cross is blocked, giving them a corner. The corner comes in and against the run of play they take a 3-2 lead... heartbreak. The games finish as they were and we end up 4th behind Valencia, Real Madrid and Sevilla, with Valencia on 81 points, and everyone else on 80. Incredible end to the season.

spacer.png

A bit more of a mixed year this year but not drastically worse than last year - just a bit scruffy at times and with the distraction of Champions League of course there was a bit more rotation also. We ended up getting to the quarter finals of the Champions League, losing on penalties to Man United after a valiant second leg comeback. They were considerably better than us but we put up an epic fight... Liverpool eventually won it - they were in our group as well - they were the scariest team I've played so far by some distance.

spacer.png

The Williams brothers were both exceptional this year, with Nico making huge strides. Huge shoutout to Sancet chipping in with 16 goals from 33 starts also, and Karikkaburu leading the line with 21 in 32. Serrano also an excellent back up to Karikkaburu with 13 in 13 starts (and 11 sub appearances). 

Transfers and looking ahead to 23/24:

Out:
Villalibre, 10 million GBP. The beard himself left in January when I promoted Serrano from the B team. 
Dani Garcia, 2.4 million GBP. Left in January due to decline and desire to address our double pivot options long term.
Berengeur, 21 million GBP. Sold at the end of the season to generate some budget. He's been a valuable asset and excellent performer for us, but with Juan Artola deputising well on the right of midfield, and Jon Julen Guerrero getting promoted to contest for a slot as an AM this season we had a surplus, and Berengeur held the highest value. Despite our Champions League campaign and healthy bank balance of around 30 million at the season end, we were given basically no money to work with, so a sale was important.

In:
Turrientes, 1 million GBP. Defensive midfielder from Sociedad was brought in on a cut price deal in January. Looked decent at times coming down the stretch but his attributes didn't really improve as I hoped they might. With Vesga into the last year of his contract at 30, and Zarraga not really improving we needed another option in defensive midfield.
Moncayola, 17 million GBP. As much as I would have loved Mikel Merino, we just don't have anywhere near the funds required, so following the sale of Berengeur we swooped for Moncayola who wanted out at Osasuna. He will slot in alongside Vencedor as my starting DM this season. 

Goals for this season are simply to hold station in the top 4, and be in and around the title fight. We are an improving side, with lots of young players who will get better during the season, so I hope to challenge for the title again this year. 

Oh a final note on our youth intake... a golden generation this year led to a couple of superb prospects... a goalkeeper, left winger and right winger/striker all look potentially world class which is exciting. It'll be a few years until we see them in the team, but great to have some quality coming through. 

Hey there folks, how's it going?

Going to hijhack the thread and tell my experience with Athletic this year, gonna be a loooooong post since I did 3 seasons already so bear with me.

First, introductions and how I end up managing this club: I'm a long time player, since the cm days, so more than 20y on my belt. I allways run with my local team SL Benfica every year and do a long time save, investing in wonderkids and developing youth until I can win champions league while I dominate in Portugal and keep up doing good in europe. But it's allways the same, you allways pick the same wonderkids everyone else picks every year, sell the unwanted, replace with good free transfers, pick new regen wonderkid, etc, it kinda gets boring doing the same every time. From time to time I like to play with Liverpool and Torino too, first one is easy, second one is a bit more rough, but it allways end up the same way after some seasons. So last year I decided to try a new and hard challenge to shake things up. I've played with Athletic before but not so serious like last year. This year after doing 1y with Benfica I decided to check up things here again.

A thing I've been doing for some years now, is starting with the market closed, first reason is the squads are equals to reality so it adds realism, second one is it forces me to know the players, train them, adapt them to new positions, bet on the unprepared youth instead of looking at reports, selling the bad ones and bringing the same wonderkids again.

Gonna seize the opportunity before going on to say thanks to the OP for the team guide and transfer targets, as a guy who doesn't follow the club it really helps shedding some lights onto it before embarking on this journey.

So here goes my experience, hope you enjoy the reading  :)

First season I ended up in 6th. Lost supercopa and felt short on the second game of copa del rey.

Started with 3 on the back since Yuri and Capa start injured and we have 3 top DC and a good prospect. I did fine with some nice ball possession, but that isn't the tactic I want to stick to (a 4231 gengenpress) so I needed to start changing things and thinking on the long run. De Marcos and Lekue aren't that good (and neither is Balenziaga) so I retrained Yeray for RB and ended up with Berenguer on the left. Yeray proved to be a solid choice there, not that good at attacking as Capa but good enough to fight for a spot on the starting eleven, and in case of an emergency I can allways pull im back to the center. In the middle I tryed to give the most amount of playtime to Vencedor and Sancet to see how they develop paired with Dani Garcia. Inaki did good on the wing, Muniain not so much. In fact with Muniain I allways feel he underperforms every season in goals and assists either in the wing, at the 10 position or in the middle of the field.. with his stats he should do more, or I should be able to get more from him and I'm not doing it right. Both Raul and Villalibre did good upfront. Morcilo went out on loan since we wasn't getting much playtime in winter market. Developed youth recruit, trainers and facilities since it is mandatory for a save like this.

In the summer I decided to let De Marcos go for free, sold Lekue and Balenziaga retired, first cleanup of the house done. Renew contract with Yuri and Raul to see how long can they go. Got Kevin Rodrigues for free as a backup and Ander Herrera on a 2y loan and let Cordoba go for 5M since I wanted to bet on Nico and Nico (wrong move, i'll go there latter). Starting eleven was mostly this:

mg1TaNV.png

Vivian is developing good and Martinez is underperforming and declining so I go with the first. Capa was starting but got some injuries and Yeray kept filling in perfectly. I move Sancet up the field since I had Herrera/Vencedor/Dani/Vesga for the mid, Morcilo is retraining for AMC but to no good and he performs okish on the wings, but i didn't give him that much playtime (error #2) since i've tryed to give the 2 Nico's the most playtime I could. Raul still has good stats but the age is starting to kick in and he's a shadow of the first season so I alternate him with Vila, and Berenguer is just a filler playing wherever and whenever I need but rarely from the start.

End up in 5th.. copa del rey lost in the 4th match and in europa league ended in 3rd and fell to conference league due to a bug I already reported

Won first game there, out on the second. Not much more to tell here.

I didn't mention but i've been recruiting some young basque regens (basque only, I don't do the 16y old spanish loophole) and since i'm at it a question for you Athletic supporters out there: I know you've had foreign coaches and their teams, but how do you fare for stuff like physios, scouts, analists and young coaches? Are they Basque-only too? Only Spanish? Or you don't enforce the rule on that aspect? I might replicate it when I do a new save, thanks in advance.

On we go, third seasons start and I grab Aimar Oroz for 100k transfer listed. I spot Saborit listed for 1,5M and decide to grab him too to sell Yuri since he's starting to decline, but.. no one wanted him, no one wanted to pay is wages, no one wanted him on loan for free.. and I end up with 3 LB, perfect start ! Last day of the market Julen Guerrero is transfer listed for - you guess - 100k and I grab him too for the youth squad. Berenguer and Morcillo go out for 10M each and Dani for free, he was ending contract and Vesga was younger.. i couldn't decide which one to stick so.. i end up letting him go and staying with Vesga. Since I had 3 LB I decided to retrain Kevin as a winger because Saborit is better at defending, but - as you could guess by now - Kevin barelly played because I was betting on the Nico's, and this time I had Aimar too. Since i've been burning money on regens I had no money for Karrikaburu so here goes the oldest scoring striker of the history of the club (he beat the record) for my 3rd season but now on the bench.

I start with Yeray and alternate with Capa (who ends up as starter), Martinez Is clearly 3rd in hierarchy by now (Peru have been in the squad just as a filler for an injury/fatigue/suspension crisis since I can allways pull Yeray back, barely made any games), Herrera is underperforming either as a BWM or a BBM and Vesga who has worst stats give him a run for it and end up playing much more games than I expected. He declined very very fast but was still performing quite nice. Since Herrera ins't doing that good Sancet cames back to the midfield side by side with Vencedor and I start to swap the guys upfront so I can give playtime to everyone, pushing Muniain and Inaki to the mid so I can play the Nico's on the wings for example. Aimar had a long injury in christmas so I push Julen for first team and start to give him time, who ends up snatching the spot !

I was saving Yuri for last but i'll say it now: that man is a force of nature worth keeping. He's 34 and he holds starter spot EASILY. Allways with great performances and a lot of assists. Is pace is going down since 2nd season but he still performs superb here. So superb he ended up player of the year for the fans. That's how good he still is !

Since i'm individualizing now I need to mention the revelation of the season: Villalibre. I'll let the numbers speak for himself:

0kmfYRg.png

and to finish this, Sancet. Sancet develops monstrously. He got his first cap and is in the 23 for Euro2024:

2QCs4HK.png

Now to finish this season, I end up 3rd behind Real and Barça, lost copa del rey final against Real for 1-0 but.. if you noticed the number of continental games I played.. I did it ! I brought silverware home ! Uefa Europa League silverware ! Won the final against Roma for an astonishing 4-0 ! The day before the final Villalibre got injury in training and I had to infiltrate him to play the match and he even scored !

qw9BeF5.png

Here are some more pics of this europa league run:

yuPJAQM.png

It6mLx1.png

And that's it, 'game over'. I'll restart in the full version to see if I can do better/sooner and try different approach on certain players. Here is a recap on some of them:

Oscar De Marcos, Lekue and Balenziaga aren't good enough for the squad and you need to replace them soon/find a tactic where you don't need them. Dani Garcia is good for 2 seasons so you either stick with him until he leaves for free or cash in before that, same for Vesga, their attributes start to decline on/after second season so you'll need to find replacements for the mid fast. Nico Williams and Nico Serrano need to go out on loan on good teams and have 1st team playtime. I was playing Williams since 1st season and Serrano 2nd and they didn't developed much.. it might be better to stick with Cordoba/Morcillo or even Berenguer for those years and let them develop and come good and ready than betting in them from the bench and in some games. Raul is only good on the first season, let him and his wages go after that, the decline is big. Martinez has high wages to and declines on 2nd season, better to cash in while you can. On the other side, lowering wages and keeping Yuri seems worth to me.

Some thoughts of myself if I was going to keep this save/the stuff i'm gonna do on the new run : I probably need to stop spending money on regens on the initial seasons.. a lot of them have very high wages for youth and false promises of playtime just so I could steal them from our rivals. Finances are tanking a bit, if it wasn't for this good run it would be the 3rd year on the red. Plus I need the money for the likes of Moncayola and Karrikaburu release clauses (20 and 15M). It might be better in the long run, but now I look at my youth and I have a handfull or great prospects for every position but all to young, no one is capable of scratching the starters and filling in. Sub midfield and striker I'm kinda empty..  the only moves i'm seeing is putting Aitor Paredes as a defense filler, pushing Peru to the mid and betting on Nico's for Villalibre spot. Herrera signed for free after season ending since Vesga is leaving but he's just a backup now so I only have 2 starters for 2 positions, and while I can manage in the back Yuri and Capa won't last forever, Odriozola is listed and is an option but for the left i'm not seeing any upgrades..

Maybe if you hit champions league in first season and keep there, with that money you can bet on the regens so soon, but if not I think priorities are in order, and those are improving all the youth recruitment, training system and facilities first, so wonderkids keep on coming. After that get the replaces/upgrades we need so we can keep on going in the immediate. Then with the finances stable and the transitions to 3/4/5 year secured start to spend some bucks on the regens and go infinite, what are your opinions on this?

Well, sorry for the long post, hope you stayed till the end and enjoyed reading it as I've enjoyed writing it. Cheers.

"Whisper it quietly, but this coulbe a so-called "Golden Generation" with Juan Louis Alkorta the diamond among a very strong group of players."

Ah, what a perfect Youth Intake day, lots of good talent with Alkorta the diamond, a little concerned by his Fickle personality and 7/8 Finishing/Composure but looks like an excellent Number 10, hope we can get that strength up, any advice for sorting his personality traits? Straight in to the first team and in a Mentoring Group with Raul Garcia?

image.thumb.png.431ae4f99b2ecca77cf2593e2d6b81e0.png

Elsewhere there is a decent keeper and a couple if right backs, plenty of wingers an intersting two footed AM and a deeper playmaker with nice technical attributes but a limited physical capacity. 

As a rule I'm sticking to the Basque only policy and ignoring the loophole for all Spanish under 16s and only looking at other Basque youth set ups.

6 hours ago, JPKD said:

Ah, what a perfect Youth Intake day, lots of good talent with Alkorta the diamond, a little concerned by his Fickle personality and 7/8 Finishing/Composure but looks like an excellent Number 10, hope we can get that strength up, any advice for sorting his personality traits? Straight in to the first team and in a Mentoring Group with Raul Garcia?

image.thumb.png.431ae4f99b2ecca77cf2593e2d6b81e0.png

Elsewhere there is a decent keeper and a couple if right backs, plenty of wingers an intersting two footed AM and a deeper playmaker with nice technical attributes but a limited physical capacity. 

As a rule I'm sticking to the Basque only policy and ignoring the loophole for all Spanish under 16s and only looking at other Basque youth set ups.

Nice yeah I have always played that way as well.

oh also fickle personality isn’t necessarily bad - it just means their loyalty is poor and ambition is high. 

Yeah I've had some great regens with fickle personalities over the years, their other personality stats can still be surprisingly good. If he's a real star he'll maybe agitate for a move more than another player might, but if he's on a level with most of the rest of your first team he'll probably be happy to go the distance with you. Just stick him tutoring with someone the coaches say is loyal and he might lose the fickle over time, no big deal if he doesn't though. 

With stats like that I'd be inclined to use him as a target man for crosses into the box, if his strength can be beefed up he could be a good out ball for long ball hold up play too. 

Edited by Undy

Fantastic opening posts :thup:

I started a game with Bilbao on weekend and enjoyed it. Think I will start a new game with them tomorrow when then full version is out. 

I noticed, as I only loaded La Liga and Segunda, that the B team didn't play any fixtures, just friendlies. On the new save I will load up 3rd tier (which Bilbao B is in right?). Is it more beneficial to have those leagues loaded? So B players play regulary and I can potentially get them promoted into Segunda? 

Also what's the deal with moving players between First Team and B team? Is there rules around that? 

1 hour ago, skybluedave said:

I started a game with Bilbao on weekend and enjoyed it. Think I will start a new game with them tomorrow when then full version is out. 

I noticed, as I only loaded La Liga and Segunda, that the B team didn't play any fixtures, just friendlies. On the new save I will load up 3rd tier (which Bilbao B is in right?). Is it more beneficial to have those leagues loaded? So B players play regulary and I can potentially get them promoted into Segunda? 

Also what's the deal with moving players between First Team and B team? Is there rules around that? 

Essential to have the 3rd tier loaded IMO - I made the same mistake but have loaded it in for the second season. You want the kids playing properly simulated games for the best possible development. 

I'm not wholly clear on the rules yet, but I started the season with Dani Vivian in the B team and was able to move him up to the first team to play games in the December. Come the January window though when I registered him in the first team it said he would no longer be able to play for the B team if registered. 

6 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Players who are under 19 on 1st Jan of that season can be moved freely between teams. Anyone 19 or over is subject to registration rules, so can be moved during the transfer windows only

After keeping within touching distance of Barca and Real, we've suffered a form crash from mid-february onwards. Lost two and drawn three of the last five and only just holding onto third place. Nothing to brighten the mood like Youth Intake Day though! Sergio and Raul Urrutia (I'll just pretend they're brothers) are the pick of the bunch, but six classed as "top talents" too.

image.thumb.png.aa03e36b03debb61e6d75658763ed226.png

image.thumb.png.fc1039bb6a48712ac2af1072e9ef3d5b.png

29 minutes ago, Vega09 said:

I will be starting a new Athletic save soon, what role do you tend to get the best from Inaki Williams in? I'm thinking that I will likely line up in a 4231 with him as a W(A), but can see him as an AF as well

I'm currently using him at RM (in the W(A) role) as I rely on my wide players to put in a shift marking opposition full backs while we're defending so didn't want to place him too high up the pitch. He's been doing fairly well there. Less successful when I've played him up front, either in a one or a two striker formation. Keep in mind though you don't have great aerial threat up front so you'll want to avoid him flying down the wing and crossing to no one. I've also found players will give away the ball 9 times out of 10 when attempting a dribble so my tactic leans more on my wide midfielders getting played in on the underlap rather than driving at full backs - not sure if others are finding the same with this match engine? 

So I decided to start a new save in the full release game as said before, spent the first one and half hour checking and signing staff for first, youth and B team (getting staff for B teams is still a pain in the ... we'll never se a fix for this..) and on the FIRST friendly of the season, at the 5mins mark, Raul Garcia is out by injury.

Achiles tendon

5 months.

F my life?

5 hours ago, Marinho said:

@dothestrand

@bowieinspace

How is the Salary Cap Limit (for Squad Registration, not Wage Budget) developing after a couple seasons ? Had a quick sim ahead the other day with Valencia and it didn't change at all for season 2 ...

My wage cap has gone up a reasonable amount over the first couple of seasons, around 15% or so I think

2 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

My wage cap has gone up a reasonable amount over the first couple of seasons, around 15% or so I think

Cheers, that's good to know as this seemed an area quite susceptible to being bugged.

Likely going to keep on with my Leeds save for another couple weeks and then give Bilbao a goal. Never tried it before in prior FMs :)

1 hour ago, Marinho said:

Cheers, that's good to know as this seemed an area quite susceptible to being bugged.

Likely going to keep on with my Leeds save for another couple weeks and then give Bilbao a goal. Never tried it before in prior FMs :)

Its a very enjoyable save, albeit very different to your normal FM saves. I always tell people that if squad overhauls and recruitment is what gets you going then it's probably not the one for you. However if pursuing transfer targets for years with little success and youth development is what appeals to you, then go for it :D

3 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

Its a very enjoyable save, albeit very different to your normal FM saves. I always tell people that if squad overhauls and recruitment is what gets you going then it's probably not the one for you. However if pursuing transfer targets for years with little success and youth development is what appeals to you, then go for it :D

Actually it sound apealing as a change-of-pace save that focusses more on tactics/development (and stuff like position changes becoming more vital) and working with what's available than scouting/transfers and might be quicker going as the latter is a real time suck for me.

2 hours ago, Marinho said:

Actually it sound apealing as a change-of-pace save that focusses more on tactics/development (and stuff like position changes becoming more vital) and working with what's available than scouting/transfers and might be quicker going as the latter is a real time suck for me.

I tend to do two Athletic Club saves. The first is when I can buy any Basque player, whether an established name or a regen from another academy (Real Sociedad, Osasuna, Alaves, Eibar or a Basque who crops up elsewhere). Usually within a decade, you will have won titles and maybe European trophies. If you can hoover up the best Basque talents, you will have a good enough squad to do that.

The second will be a Lezama only save, where I cannot sign any players and can only develop who comes through the academy. This means you have to keep guys you would've otherwise got rid of. The latter is really good fun and much harder. Particularly as Athletic Club are a team where many of the key names won't be with you in five years.

Raul Garcia was on 9 goals - one off the 10 mark that would see him get a £300k bonus (to compensate for the vastly reduced wage I gave him). I was considering dropping him for the last 7 games of the season, but figured if he could get us a winner against Barca he'd be worth his bonus so I gave him a shot. He really wanted that bonus.

image.png.09ee0289bd349f6b09cfe292b6ad091a.png

2021/22 Review - A remarkable Run

A season bookended by home wins Vs Barcelona and Real Madrid saw us push both sides all the way in a remarkable title run that came down to the last day of the season. 

The season began with a 3-2 victory over Koeman's Barca with Dani Garcia of all people bagging a brace. This was the start of a run to Christmas containing just two defeats, 1-0 away at Celta and 3-2 at home to Villarreal with a last gasp Pajero strike. Inaki Williams was red hot leading the goalscoring for the league but Real Madrid were just as good, keeping us in second. A special mention to a 1-0 win away at Atletico with both sides xG under 0.3. A truly dire game. 

Christmas brought a tough run of games. The Basque Derby and Madrid away either side of the winter break before playing Barcelona twice in two weeks. 2021 ended with a dramatic Inaki Williams goal to seal the Derby 1-0 but at Madrid and Barca we were outclassed. 

This would be the start of a long run unbeaten for Barca who came from nowhere to make it a three horse race. Madrid always doing enough to stay ahead and Barca relentlessly closing the gap with us stuck in the middle.

After January's wobble the side returned to good form with Raul Garcia doing enough to earn a new contract. Williams was not as hot while Iker Muniain struggled to overcome the 4.5 million sale of Yuri to relegation threatened  Newcastle.

Bogey teams Celta Vigo and Villarreal again combined to thwart the run in. Before a late Gabriel own goal at the Mestella and a bizarre late winner Vs Levante kept us within touching distance of the title. Tied at 1-1 with minutes to a Levante defender, under no pressure, headed back towards goal where the ball ballooned off the post leaving Inaki to tap in to an empty net past a stranded keeper. 

With two games to go. Our brave boys lay 3rd. Behind Barca on head to head and trailling Madrid who needed just a point at San Names to take home the title. They were denied by an impressive 1-0 he win with Jon Morcillo, a late season star, nodding home a late winner. Meanwhile Barca lost away to Valencia to blow their chances at the title. This meant victory at Real Sociedad and a draw between Madrid and Valencia would clinch an unlikely title. 

It was the biggest Basque Derby for years with both sides guaranteed Champions League football and Athletic hunting the title. Billed as a showdown between League tops scorers Isak and Inaki. With nothing to lose we went on the attack but it was in vain. A 1-1 draw and a 4-2 victory for Real saw the title go to Madrid by 3 points. 

It was a great season with 6 defeats and 85 points. Inaki finished as the 3rd highest scorer behind Isak and Benzema. The two defeats Vs Celta Vigo will haunt me having steamrollered all other side's in mid table. But onwards to the Champions League next year in a condensed World Cup 2022 season with Unai Simon as Spain's number 1 an Inaki likely to represent the club.

Player turnover has been low as a result of string performance. Raul Garcia, Dani Garcia and Balenziaga all signed extensions to help overcome fixture pile up. Long serving Oscar De Marcos detparted for Club Brugge replaced by Martín Aguirregabiria on a Bosman. The Cantera has produced a Golden Generation with a number of talents among. 

But for now onwards to the Champions League and with the board only expecting a mid table League finish a chance to focus on reaching the knockouts. 

Oh and Yuri now plays for the richest club in the Championship. With no first window transfers Brendan Rodgers couldn't get a tune out of Bruce's old squad and Unai Emery is in charge of the rebuild. 

Edited by JPKD

14 hours ago, JPKD said:

2021/22 Review - A remarkable Run

A season bookended by home wins Vs Barcelona and Real Madrid saw us push both sides all the way in a remarkable title run that came down to the last day of the season. 

The season began with a 3-2 victory over Koeman's Barca with Dani Garcia of all people bagging a brace. This was the start of a run to Christmas containing just two defeats, 1-0 away at Celta and 3-2 at home to Villarreal with a last gasp Pajero strike. Inaki Williams was red hot leading the goalscoring for the league but Real Madrid were just as good, keeping us in second. A special mention to a 1-0 win away at Atletico with both sides xG under 0.3. A truly dire game. 

Christmas brought a tough run of games. The Basque Derby and Madrid away either side of the winter break before playing Barcelona twice in two weeks. 2021 ended with a dramatic Inaki Williams goal to seal the Derby 1-0 but at Madrid and Barca we were outclassed. 

This would be the start of a long run unbeaten for Barca who came from nowhere to make it a three horse race. Madrid always doing enough to stay ahead and Barca relentlessly closing the gap with us stuck in the middle.

After January's wobble the side returned to good form with Raul Garcia doing enough to earn a new contract. Williams was not as hot while Iker Muniain struggled to overcome the 4.5 million sale of Yuri to relegation threatened  Newcastle.

Bogey teams Celta Vigo and Villarreal again combined to thwart the run in. Before a late Gabriel own goal at the Mestella and a bizarre late winner Vs Levante kept us within touching distance of the title. Tied at 1-1 with minutes to a Levante defender, under no pressure, headed back towards goal where the ball ballooned off the post leaving Inaki to tap in to an empty net past a stranded keeper. 

With two games to go. Our brave boys lay 3rd. Behind Barca on head to head and trailling Madrid who needed just a point at San Names to take home the title. They were denied by an impressive 1-0 he win with Jon Morcillo, a late season star, nodding home a late winner. Meanwhile Barca lost away to Valencia to blow their chances at the title. This meant victory at Real Sociedad and a draw between Madrid and Valencia would clinch an unlikely title. 

It was the biggest Basque Derby for years with both sides guaranteed Champions League football and Athletic hunting the title. Billed as a showdown between League tops scorers Isak and Inaki. With nothing to lose we went on the attack but it was in vain. A 1-1 draw and a 4-2 victory for Real saw the title go to Madrid by 3 points. 

It was a great season with 6 defeats and 85 points. Inaki finished as the 3rd highest scorer behind Isak and Benzema. The two defeats Vs Celta Vigo will haunt me having steamrollered all other side's in mid table. But onwards to the Champions League next year in a condensed World Cup 2022 season with Unai Simon as Spain's number 1 an Inaki likely to represent the club.

Player turnover has been low as a result of string performance. Raul Garcia, Dani Garcia and Balenziaga all signed extensions to help overcome fixture pile up. Long serving Oscar De Marcos detparted for Club Brugge replaced by Martín Aguirregabiria on a Bosman. The Cantera has produced a Golden Generation with a number of talents among. 

But for now onwards to the Champions League and with the board only expecting a mid table League finish a chance to focus on reaching the knockouts. 

Oh and Yuri now plays for the richest club in the Championship. With no first window transfers Brendan Rodgers couldn't get a tune out of Bruce's old squad and Unai Emery is in charge of the rebuild. 

Great season summary and unlucky with the last day drama! Interesting that Isak was one of the top scorers from you - he's currently two goals off being top scorer in my save too so the match engine clearly favours Sociedad's tactics and his play style. Interested to see how Raul Garcia gets on in your second season - a large part of the reason I gave him a contract extension was to use him as a mentor, but so far I'm seeing almost zero impact from mentoring. Annoying because so many of my top prospects that aren't newgens have awful determination stats and fairly underwhelming personalities in general. If there's no real mentoring improvement by the end of the season I'll be as well punting them out on loan for game time next season.

I have three games left to go in the league, and just gave out possibly one of the biggest muggings in my entire FM history;

image.png.e01ef4bd09893fb0fd890e4c7c590b3a.png

Play was fairly even up to the sending off with both teams around 0.5xG at that point - us with the bulk of the play but them more incisive in possession. After the red it was keep-ball, low risk, low pace play before Inaki won it with the last kick of the ball. Unai Simon got a 9.4 rating - 11 saves including the penalty, 2 interceptions (playing as SK(A)), and 51/55 passes completed.

1 hour ago, Undy said:

Great season summary and unlucky with the last day drama! Interesting that Isak was one of the top scorers from you - he's currently two goals off being top scorer in my save too so the match engine clearly favours Sociedad's tactics and his play style. Interested to see how Raul Garcia gets on in your second season - a large part of the reason I gave him a contract extension was to use him as a mentor, but so far I'm seeing almost zero impact from mentoring. Annoying because so many of my top prospects that aren't newgens have awful determination stats and fairly underwhelming personalities in general. If there's no real mentoring improvement by the end of the season I'll be as well punting them out on loan for game time next season.

I have three games left to go in the league, and just gave out possibly one of the biggest muggings in my entire FM history;

image.png.e01ef4bd09893fb0fd890e4c7c590b3a.png

Play was fairly even up to the sending off with both teams around 0.5xG at that point - us with the bulk of the play but them more incisive in possession. After the red it was keep-ball, low risk, low pace play before Inaki won it with the last kick of the ball. Unai Simon got a 9.4 rating - 11 saves including the penalty, 2 interceptions (playing as SK(A)), and 51/55 passes completed.

Determination is less important than you'd think. Not to say it's not valuable, but as a solo attribute the impact on development specifically is far less important than most think. Professionalism trumps all for development. 

I also got nothing from mentoring this year, had Raul Garcia mentoring Karikkaburu (alongside I think Inaki to make the group function), because my Karikkaburu had 5 determination. A whole season of mentoring and his determination went from 5-6, with no other obvious personality changes that I was advised of. His development and performances have still been great though despite the low determination stat.

Reached winter break 1st season and sitting 3rd. Beat Real Madrid and Barca but lost some silly games. I don't think I've been that good, few lucky wins. So not sure how 2nd half of season will go.

Like everyone else I signed Karikkabura, who has been good. 10 goals far. 

Signed Raul Garcia, Yuri and Capa to extentions. Balenziaga and Dani Garcia will leave on frees (Imanol replacing the former). De Marcos leaving in Jan. 

Artola and Serrano are doing great for my table topping B team. So will leave them be for now. 

Yeray has been revelation for me at right back. Allowed Nunez and Vivian to get plenty of game time too. What do people do with Inigo Martinez? Wont sign a contract with me. I'm tempted to cash in and try for Odriozola and move Yeray to centre back. 

7 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Reached winter break 1st season and sitting 3rd. Beat Real Madrid and Barca but lost some silly games. I don't think I've been that good, few lucky wins. So not sure how 2nd half of season will go.

Like everyone else I signed Karikkabura, who has been good. 10 goals far. 

Signed Raul Garcia, Yuri and Capa to extentions. Balenziaga and Dani Garcia will leave on frees (Imanol replacing the former). De Marcos leaving in Jan. 

Artola and Serrano are doing great for my table topping B team. So will leave them be for now. 

Yeray has been revelation for me at right back. Allowed Nunez and Vivian to get plenty of game time too. What do people do with Inigo Martinez? Wont sign a contract with me. I'm tempted to cash in and try for Odriozola and move Yeray to centre back. 

I ended up promising Martinez in January that I'd sell him if anyone offered £16m. No one did through the winter but I'll see what the summer brings. As others have said though, I wonder whether he justifies his mammoth salary. He's been a poor man's Yeray for me. 

8 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

Determination is less important than you'd think. Not to say it's not valuable, but as a solo attribute the impact on development specifically is far less important than most think. Professionalism trumps all for development. 

I also got nothing from mentoring this year, had Raul Garcia mentoring Karikkaburu (alongside I think Inaki to make the group function), because my Karikkaburu had 5 determination. A whole season of mentoring and his determination went from 5-6, with no other obvious personality changes that I was advised of. His development and performances have still been great though despite the low determination stat.

I tend to view determination as one of those percentage-gains attributes. I don't really have any data to back this up, but I've always assumed a player with high determination is more likely to make that last run into the box or that last covering tackle to turn a loss or a draw into a draw or a win, and more likely to respond well to being challenged over loss of form, or a "demand more" or "fire up" shout in-game. I certainly wouldn't discount a player because of low determination, but given so many of my good prospects are low in it I would be concerned about having too many of them on the pitch when we're up against it. 

8 hours ago, Undy said:

I ended up promising Martinez in January that I'd sell him if anyone offered £16m. No one did through the winter but I'll see what the summer brings. As others have said though, I wonder whether he justifies his mammoth salary. He's been a poor man's Yeray for me. 

I tend to view determination as one of those percentage-gains attributes. I don't really have any data to back this up, but I've always assumed a player with high determination is more likely to make that last run into the box or that last covering tackle to turn a loss or a draw into a draw or a win, and more likely to respond well to being challenged over loss of form, or a "demand more" or "fire up" shout in-game. I certainly wouldn't discount a player because of low determination, but given so many of my good prospects are low in it I would be concerned about having too many of them on the pitch when we're up against it. 

I find improving the mentals or physicals far harder than the technical stats. Maybe that's realistic, but when your regens join you as complete weaklings and a season of endurance/strength training achieves nothing, you do wonder whether it's worth it. And sometimes these guys are getting regular football at a decent level, even if game time is the determining factor for building that up.

11 hours ago, Undy said:

Yeah that’s fair! It’s always hard to know what impact an individual atttribute is making in match, but certainly in terms of development it’s not a huge red flag. I always used to think it was but I’m more relaxed about it now.

last year I lost Martinez fairly early on to his release clause and couldn’t really replace him, so this year I have made sure to keep him around. In season 3 now and he’s physically declining slightly but I still like him. Playing 3 cb’s he’s a bit more important but if playing 2 cb’s it’s not the worst idea to shift his salary off the books if you have an opportunity, given the huge wage he holds. Vivian is really good this year too which makes that decision easier

15 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

Yeah that’s fair! It’s always hard to know what impact an individual atttribute is making in match, but certainly in terms of development it’s not a huge red flag. I always used to think it was but I’m more relaxed about it now.

last year I lost Martinez fairly early on to his release clause and couldn’t really replace him, so this year I have made sure to keep him around. In season 3 now and he’s physically declining slightly but I still like him. Playing 3 cb’s he’s a bit more important but if playing 2 cb’s it’s not the worst idea to shift his salary off the books if you have an opportunity, given the huge wage he holds. Vivian is really good this year too which makes that decision easier

Paredes is pretty decent in my game. Good in the air and 16s for both tackling/positioning by the third season. I don't think I'll have room for him, but want to hang onto him for the B side. Bustinza does a decent job for a few years as a backup. Martinez was a real disappointment for me and shipping him out was an easy decision, given the money he's on. Vivian is superb and real captain material (especially as I'm not sure Muniain is that good in the role, at least in terms of dealing with player unhappiness).

14 hours ago, dothestrand said:

Paredes is pretty decent in my game. Good in the air and 16s for both tackling/positioning by the third season. I don't think I'll have room for him, but want to hang onto him for the B side. Bustinza does a decent job for a few years as a backup. Martinez was a real disappointment for me and shipping him out was an easy decision, given the money he's on. Vivian is superb and real captain material (especially as I'm not sure Muniain is that good in the role, at least in terms of dealing with player unhappiness).

Paredes is in my first team squad also, back up but very capable. I think I’m gonna release Martinez at the end of this season cause he’s declining anyway and it’ll give me financial flexibility 

Well, my first season is now over. After an inconsistent start defined by endless tinkering by the manager, we finally found tactical consistency with a 3-2-2-1-2 formation with two DMs and two wide midfielders. Having looked a decent outside bet for the title until mid-February, hanging just two to three points behind Barca and Real, a form crash and three points from a possible fifteen to the end of March ended any title hope. In the end Atleti caught us and we finished the season in a "comfortable" fourth place - four behind Atleti and three ahead of Valencia after fielding a team of kids in the final game - a 2-2 draw away to Celtic Vigo. Nine points behind eventual champions Barcelona, which points to how competitive a league it was overall.

Perhaps due to the tactical inconsistency, it was a season defined by the team rather than any standout individuals - the ageless Raul Garcia finished the season on 13 goals; a tally matched by Villalibre mostly in the second half of the season, having done enough in cameo appearances in the early part of the season to force his way into the starting lineup. Another who forced a change of heart from the manager was Alex Berenguer who eventually established himself as first choice on the left of midfield and earned himself a new contract as well. No real breakout stars this season. Nico Williams earned himself 26 appearances but only 8 starts and, with his brother the undisputed first choice on the right of midfield, will probably do well to find himself a loan for 2022/23 to get some more minutes under his belt.

In terms of player turnover, there was little of substance at first-team level. Julen Jon Guerrero was signed from Real Madrid for £1.9m (potentially rising to £2.2m) in the summer, while Jon Karrikaburu's hefty £15.5m release clause was triggered in January to lure him from the enemy. Neither particularly broke ground in the first team this season though, nor were they intended to. Karrikaburu managed 4 goals from 12 appearances (6 starts), while Julen managed a paltry one goal from three substitute appearances. Their time will come though. Moving into the new season, Manex Gibelalde has just signed on with us after his contract at Sociedad expired. My coaches rate him less highly than my scouts did, but for a free transfer and only £2k/week wages there's a decent shout he could become a longer-term partner for Unai Vencedor in the DM roles since Vesga and Dani Garcia aren't getting any younger. Both old hands were handed contract extensions after solid performances through the season anyway.

As far as outgoings go, Oscar de Marcos was quietly moved on to FK Partizan in January for £275k after a mere six appearances through the first half of the season, Balenziaga moved on to Girona for a nominal £245k. On the last day of the transfer window, Yuri was moved out to Porto on loan for the rest of the season, with a mandatory purchase fee of a whopping £15m at the end of the season - daylight robbery for a 32 year old who had managed only six appearances (four starts) with us in the first half of the season, and hardly set the world alight in the eight appearances he made for Porto after that. Martinez complained, naturally, but he can shut the hell up as he's coming into the last year of his contract, wants sold, but nobody wants him due to his insane wage demands. I'm holding out for the £16m we agreed, but I'm at the mercy of Real Madrid getting desperate and making a move. If we keep him for the rest of the season it's no great disaster - he performs well enough, though no better than his defensive partners Yeray and Unai Nunez, but I'd really rather the money.

Onwards to season 2022/23 and, with the manager correcting his oversight of not loading in the third division, some more attention will be paid to B team as a vessel for developing some of our young talents, especially the golden generation who have come through from the academy. Many B & C team players have already been shifted for small sums or released at the end of their contracts to make way for the new generation coming through led by the Urrutia "brothers", and exciting times are ahead.

Just finished the 2nd season with release, here is the recap:

Starting with market close, as usual.

Season one was messy, with alot of ups and downs, tactic wasn't working and I shifted it quite alot, same for the players. Finish 7th in last game of the season because Valencia f it up and draw last game. If it wasn't for that i'd be out of european football.. was kinda lucky securing it tbh, didn't deserved that spot.

In winter I sold De Marcos for 700k, Martinez for 40M, Yuri for 20M and Lekue for 800k. Season wasn't going good as I said and I decided to try a diferent approach this time, cashing in on these guys to renew the team. I instantly buy out Aihen Munoz for 20M, Karrikaburu for 18M, and Aguirregabiria for 475k and secure Kevin Rodrigues for free for the end of the season.

In the summer market the revolution continues, Ivan Martin joins for 2y loan with a 9,5M optional buy and Sangalli (joined Leeds and was unhapy) came in the same terms with a 5,25M option. Aimar Oroz joins for 475k for the B team. Out goes Dani Garcia for 2.5M, Zarraga for 1.3 and Nico Williams on loan to Vitesse to gain that much needed playtime.

Meanwhile youth recruitment, junior coaching, training and youth facilities are all upgraded to the max thanks to the money flowing in. I've had two 'golden generations' and one of my regens appeared at 23rd in the '50 best wonderkids list' so the future is bright.

Season doesn't start that good with us droping mid table, but then the magic starts to happen and we end up fighting for the title.. and we lost..

MAa9KPq.png

I think this is a first for me, i've never lost a championship by results between teams. Real was allways upfront all the season and with 4 games to go they lose an away game, making us tie in points. We both win all our games until the end and they kept 1st place.

Before last game of the season I manage to snatch european silverware in Conference League against PSV with a dramatic goal in a match I dominated at 90+3.. and a more dramatic VAR-no-goal at 90+4 that was going to push us for extra time. First silverware of the save!

DN9RztS.png

fAwvp7W.png

Lets see what 3rd seasons brings us, Nico Williams is now squad material so someone is going out, plus we have champions league money to bring one or two reinforcements and secure our loans either now or by the end of the season :)

2023/24 Season Review - We Are Ridiculous

This was probably one of the most insane seasons I've ever had on FM. I've had good seasons before, but this was just ridiculous due to the level of players we have. We obviously have good players, but nothing that should allow us to achieve the type of performances that we did. Tactically, I am doing something that is causing the match engine some issues, but is not ultimately infallible. 

League

spacer.png

103 points, nearly 100 goals scored, best defensive record. One loss all season, to Osasuna in a game that we dominated. Karikkaburu and Serrano scored 43 goals between them alternating our lone forward role. 

We also won the Copa Del Rey and the Europa League, beating Barca in both finals. In the Champions League we didn't quite make the knockouts - we were seeded 4th for the draw, and got a pretty decent one - Man United, Benfica and Zagreb. Unfortunately we lost to United at home 2-1 after being 1-0 up with 10 to go, we then lost away to Benfica 4-2 in a game we should have won based on chances. We then beat Benfica at home and overturned the head to head, but Benfica beat Man United to overtake us on the final match day. 

Transfers

In - Hugo Guillamon - Ok so a decision was made during the beta period, I'm not sure if this was fixed for the main release. Guillamon was born in San Sebastian and Athletic were interested in signing him (Alkorta confirmed it), but in game his place of birth is wrong and he has no Basque nationality. I decided during the beta that he is a player I was keen to sign, so I scouted him and checked what price I could negotiate. I then waited for the main release to activate this transfer by using the in game editor. I paid the fee I would have paid had I been able to sign him at the moment I could, all the budgets and finances were amended correctly etc so it was a legitimate transfer, and I did it a week before the transfer window so the impacted team could find a replacement. He's been good so far, rotating in central midfield.

Out - Vesga, Zarraga, Nolaskoain for moderate fees, in the 1-4mil range.

I've had another good youth intake, but more exceptional left wingers which is basically all I've had. Not sure entirely what I'm going to do with them all haha.

5 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

2023/24 Season Review - We Are Ridiculous

This was probably one of the most insane seasons I've ever had on FM. I've had good seasons before, but this was just ridiculous due to the level of players we have. We obviously have good players, but nothing that should allow us to achieve the type of performances that we did. Tactically, I am doing something that is causing the match engine some issues, but is not ultimately infallible. 

League

spacer.png

103 points, nearly 100 goals scored, best defensive record. One loss all season, to Osasuna in a game that we dominated. Karikkaburu and Serrano scored 43 goals between them alternating our lone forward role. 

We also won the Copa Del Rey and the Europa League, beating Barca in both finals. In the Champions League we didn't quite make the knockouts - we were seeded 4th for the draw, and got a pretty decent one - Man United, Benfica and Zagreb. Unfortunately we lost to United at home 2-1 after being 1-0 up with 10 to go, we then lost away to Benfica 4-2 in a game we should have won based on chances. We then beat Benfica at home and overturned the head to head, but Benfica beat Man United to overtake us on the final match day. 

Transfers

In - Hugo Guillamon - Ok so a decision was made during the beta period, I'm not sure if this was fixed for the main release. Guillamon was born in San Sebastian and Athletic were interested in signing him (Alkorta confirmed it), but in game his place of birth is wrong and he has no Basque nationality. I decided during the beta that he is a player I was keen to sign, so I scouted him and checked what price I could negotiate. I then waited for the main release to activate this transfer by using the in game editor. I paid the fee I would have paid had I been able to sign him at the moment I could, all the budgets and finances were amended correctly etc so it was a legitimate transfer, and I did it a week before the transfer window so the impacted team could find a replacement. He's been good so far, rotating in central midfield.

Out - Vesga, Zarraga, Nolaskoain for moderate fees, in the 1-4mil range.

I've had another good youth intake, but more exceptional left wingers which is basically all I've had. Not sure entirely what I'm going to do with them all haha.

Congrats, smashing 100 points is always a great milestone! What sort of tactical instructions are you using to get goals out of the lone striker? I tried a similar formation in my tinkering phase with very little success, and in general I can never get lone strikers to be productive. 

My tactical is a through ball fest. Some of the football is beautiful. I'm certainly not having the cross heavy/aerial goals style some are:

spacer.png

PIs:

CBs - Close down less, the outside centre backs are set to stay wider. I found that combo rather than the wide centre back role itself was better.
HB/DLP - Close down more/mark tighter
WMs - Run wide with the ball, sit narrower. Mark AML/R (or MR/L)
AMs - Roam, stay wider
AMa - Close down more, stay wider

Originally I had the defence to force opposition inside, but I wanted the 3 cbs to stay somewhat narrow, with the defensive midfielders and wide midfielders being the ones to close down the flanks if we were becoming stretched. I had issues maintaining that structure with force opposition inside as the centre backs would run wide to close down when I didn't want them to. 

Attacking wise the major adjustment I made was to pass into space, play wider and play at a higher tempo. I want to expose the space behind defensive lines with the AF and AMa acting a bit like a shadow striker. We defend in a 5-2-3 or 3-4-3 depending on phase, and attack in a 3-2-1-4 a lot of the time. Counter press works really well because we have a solid first line of defence with a fair few players pushing against their defence, and I've found high pressing in this game to be a bit awkward, so higher line of engagement and prevent short gk distribution work well for what we want to do. We distribute short to draw the opposition onto us, with the 3-2 formation, wide midfielders sitting narrow and the AM's offering an out ball we play through basically any press. 

Only teams that have really out played us in the last two seasons in a big way are United and Liverpool. 

48 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

My tactical is a through ball fest. Some of the football is beautiful. I'm certainly not having the cross heavy/aerial goals style some are:

spacer.png

PIs:

CBs - Close down less, the outside centre backs are set to stay wider. I found that combo rather than the wide centre back role itself was better.
HB/DLP - Close down more/mark tighter
WMs - Run wide with the ball, sit narrower. Mark AML/R (or MR/L)
AMs - Roam, stay wider
AMa - Close down more, stay wider

Originally I had the defence to force opposition inside, but I wanted the 3 cbs to stay somewhat narrow, with the defensive midfielders and wide midfielders being the ones to close down the flanks if we were becoming stretched. I had issues maintaining that structure with force opposition inside as the centre backs would run wide to close down when I didn't want them to. 

Attacking wise the major adjustment I made was to pass into space, play wider and play at a higher tempo. I want to expose the space behind defensive lines with the AF and AMa acting a bit like a shadow striker. We defend in a 5-2-3 or 3-4-3 depending on phase, and attack in a 3-2-1-4 a lot of the time. Counter press works really well because we have a solid first line of defence with a fair few players pushing against their defence, and I've found high pressing in this game to be a bit awkward, so higher line of engagement and prevent short gk distribution work well for what we want to do. We distribute short to draw the opposition onto us, with the 3-2 formation, wide midfielders sitting narrow and the AM's offering an out ball we play through basically any press. 

Only teams that have really out played us in the last two seasons in a big way are United and Liverpool. 

I'm quite surprised to see Karrika in the AF role as that's one I've especially had no luck with as a lone forward (I'd typically go PF). I guess the two AMs will mean he has far more opportunities to get on the ball though. Do you have any issues getting through deep defences (I'm guessing not by the massive goal difference)? I started off with a higher line of engagement then eventually dropped it lower to draw deep defences out otherwise my runners had no space to break into, and through balls were either straight to the keeper or out of play. 

First Season done. Good finish. CL Football next year. 

20211113202709_1.thumb.jpg.72f8703d7b598fe0c8e9f577ef23e6ab.jpg

Here's my player stats and first team formation

20211113202457_1.thumb.jpg.45959254f88c7b1274ff4db8616b7889.jpgInitia20211113202648_1.thumb.jpg.ef2917ad9b021be9dc2cd531df9583a8.jpg

Initially I started season with Inaki Winger on the right and Berenguer IW on left. But I didn't like starting 2 right footers on wing and having 2 left foot wingers on the bench. So changed to the above and I was much better. Also a much easier route into the side for Serrano. He can replace Morcillo down the line but will spend next year in B Team again. 

Karrikaburu was amazing. Nico Williams came in 2nd half of season and was also amazing. Though it does get a bit confusing trying to work out which Williams is which at times :D

Struggling to improve the side this summer. Ivan Martin and the Alaves right back came in. Not sure they improve my starting line up but do the squad. Was hoping for some stand out youngsters, below the 2 best. I've upgraded Youth and training facilities, and got a new head of youth in so hopefully next year will get some better ones.. Iriate looks like he could be great. Chus has odd stats for a left back. Maybe train as a centre back?20211113202928_1.thumb.jpg.0a82e2e2d044b50378eb2e14157a25cf.jpg20211113202934_1.thumb.jpg.235435f2d5f893130d8e76c8b8b51eaa.jpg

Every edition of the game, I always get a surplus of AMLs. Already in FM22, having just got the third intake, I must have around 4-5 potential first teamers who are natural AMLs. If they look versatile, I retrain them but it's like the game is hardwired to produce them. 

7 hours ago, Undy said:

I'm quite surprised to see Karrika in the AF role as that's one I've especially had no luck with as a lone forward (I'd typically go PF). I guess the two AMs will mean he has far more opportunities to get on the ball though. Do you have any issues getting through deep defences (I'm guessing not by the massive goal difference)? I started off with a higher line of engagement then eventually dropped it lower to draw deep defences out otherwise my runners had no space to break into, and through balls were either straight to the keeper or out of play. 

Nah I’ve not had too much trouble breaking anyone down to be honest. I think the key to getting a lone forward to work is to either have them as a drop off/support type, or if you want them to score, present the opposition with so many threats that the AF can find space. With this tactic both am’s and the wm’s can put pressure on the defensive line, so if my AF gets marked up there’s normally a free man to exploit the space. I’ve effectively got 3 players centrally or in the channels plus the wm’s playing against the full backs. As you can see from the attached photo, most of our goals come from central play/through balls.

In terms of dropping the d line I don’t think that draws teams out very effectively. Ultimately if a team wants to regroup in transition and sit deep it’ll be very difficult to ever catch them on the counter regardless of d line. If that’s a route you want to go down id just reduce line of engagement and pressing intensity for specific players, then try to encourage a trap when the ball gets advanced to a particular player/area. Then I’d make sure tempo is high and we are set to counter, with multiple runners to stretch the opposition. 

D14A4827-F447-403D-9C6A-BF1D76F0E9FE.jpeg

4 hours ago, dothestrand said:

Every edition of the game, I always get a surplus of AMLs. Already in FM22, having just got the third intake, I must have around 4-5 potential first teamers who are natural AMLs. If they look versatile, I retrain them but it's like the game is hardwired to produce them. 

Yeah I’ve had it last two versions of fm for some reason haha.

at the moment I’ve got Nico Williams, Morcillo, and then two potentially world class left footed left wingers, and a right footed left winger coming through. I’m likely gonna have a surplus even if I retrain as I have a good striker coming too. I may need to utilise one as a am

I've just come to the end of the transfer window at the start of season 2. We've made a flying start, with five wins and a draw from 6 matches (the ageless Raul Garcia has scored five in five and his stats are actually improving, and with three in six Muniain has already bettered his 2 in 36 from last season!) - level on points with Real Madrid who have picked up Mbappe on a free and are hammering sides for fun. They wanted Inaki but I told them to sod off and he wasn't interested anyway. No significant departures - Ander Capa left for £6m but he wasn't anywhere near the team anyway, and nobody wanted Inigo Martinez so he's now in a huff and wanting to consider his options once his contract's expired. I want him off the books so I can give Unai Simon an extension. A fair few signings picked up though, all newgens;

image.png.88704c16ee7602e0590b8d6ec8606226.png

The top three were the pick of the scout's recommendations and, assuming they develop and stay with me should mean I don't need to sign a midfielder for the next ten years! The rest were hoovered up from smaller Basque teams to fill the youth squad - none much above a 3 star potential but all good personalities so hopefully they drag the general team personality up and if one or two become squad players it's a bonus.

Edited by Undy