Captain selection

lblanc

A small one here and not sure if it has already been requested.

In terms of Captain selection, a few clubs and international teams sometimes use a system where the players get a say in who is named captain.

I know the selection of the captain already affects dynamics but this could be another element, maybe even during the discussion with the current captain about removing them as captain you could ask their opinion on who could succeed them.

Or in the team meeting at start/end of the season it could be a topic for discussion with the team.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

The system you're referring to often refers to clubs with a lack of stability at the managerial front, or when picking 'stand in' captains.

The discussion suggestion just isn't something I could see happening. To announce to the team - with the current captain present - that you're replacing him and you'd like to chat about who would be best fit would be close to humiliating for the player! To my knowledge, that doesn't ever happen when a new manager takes the reigns, so it isn't something we'd be looking to implement I'm afraid.