(FM22) UD Las Palmas - Tourist Destination to World Beaters

vDraycottv

Introduction

Welcome all to what hopefully is the start of a long hard journey to the promised land, aka the Champions League!

As an avid reader of the SI forums but not someone who posts, the release of the FM22 seemed like the ideal time to start and share a save with my beloved adopted Spanish side.

Why Las Palmas you might ask? As a regular visitor to the sunny Canary Islands somewhere in the region of a dozen occasions, I finally got the opportunity to go and watch a game, and what a game I chose.  UD Las Palmas vs Espanyol during the season that they exited the first division. A thrill 2-2 draw in which they were appalling, before pulling out two goals in the final 10 minutes and Jonathan Viera missing a last minute penalty to win it! The Spanish crowd was hostile towards absolutely everything throughout and I instantly loved it. I've unfortunately not been back since due to visiting during the non football season, but I've tracked their progress from afar and hopefully this is the season where they return to the top flight.

UD Las Palmas - A History

Badge.PNG.bae9890075002e617e101127e170597c.PNG

Unión Deportiva Las Palmas, S.A.D. is a Spanish Football Team based in Las Palmas, on the island of Gran Canaria in the autonomous community of the Canary Islands. Founded on 22 August 1949, it plays in the Segunda Division, holding home games at the Estadio Gran Canaria with a capacity of 32,400 seats. The club traditionally play in yellow shirts with blue shorts and socks. 

The club remains the only one in Spanish football to achieve back-to-back promotions to La Liga in its first two seasons. It had a 19-year run in the competition, ending in 1982-1983. They have been promoted to La Liga on three additional occasions since that time (a total of eight additional seasons), most recently from 2015 to 2018 

Its main rivals are Tenerife from said neighbouring island. Las Palmas and Tenerife contest the Canary Island Derby. The two clubs are among the most isolated professional football clubs in Europe, since they play their away games on the distant Spanish mainland. 

So all in all they don't have the most decorated history ever, but the appeal of playing as an island team with the limited crowds and resources that has makes for an even more attractive prospect. 

The Goals

The Champions league. There's a lot to consider before that step, and in my saves I like to have multiple short, medium and long term aims which I'll list below.

The goals I've set allow for me to not rush not rush in the first few seasons, leaning into a steady approach with lots of development and foundation laying. 

Short Term (First Season):

Contest the playoffs.

Develop a style of play that imposes ourselves on opposition, utilising a half back to form a back 3 in possession.

Assign staff to all team from a variety of backgrounds all with highly positive personalities - Arguably more important than coaching rating.

Clear out players that are surplus to requirements, loan out promising youth, tie down important players to longer contracts. 

Medium Term (2 to 3 Seasons)

Gain Promotion to the first division.

Yo-yo club if required.

Set up a scouting network that discovers both players that have ability now for low cost, and young players that will add value long term.

Create a competitive B team squad when finances allow. 

Blood young players in the team when games are suitable. 

Youth Players called up to national squads.

Medium Long Term (4 to 6 Seasons)

Become a club that challenges for places in the Continental Competitions. 

See youth players in the first team on a regular basis and holding down places. 

Have facilities upgraded to the maximum. 

Staff across all areas to a high standard.

Youth players to be considered for National First Team.

Long Term (7 Seasons Plus)

Win the Champions League.

Break the 3 way dominance in the league.

Youth players to be mainstays in the National First Team.

B team to be top of the second division on a regular basis.

Self Imposed Rules and Restrictions 

Formerly I've never ever set myself limitations in my saves, but for my debut SI career I felt this would be appropriate. However these rules will be more like guidelines really, and if a wonderkid from Peru pops up for 500k when I don' need them, I'm not going to say no to free money making!

1. NO RELOADING - I've been guilty before, but never again!

2. NO INSTANT GAME SKIN - I want to watch games and develop the team and tactics myself. 

3. Two or three young players to be brought through from the youth teams each season.

4. If there's a choice between a Spanish player and other nationality to buy, go Spanish. 

5. Avoid big spends - Young, cheap, hungry players are the aim. 

There may be some I've missed along the way, but I'll add as I go along.

Edited by vDraycottv

Squad Analysis - The Back Line

Goalkeepers

GK.thumb.PNG.ab29365e60ee56f98f59ac91e3e80a49.PNG

The options between the sticks to start us off are very solid. Raul Fernandez offers experience and knowhow with 2 years remaining on his contract, with Valles a capable backup / cup keeper. This is complimented by a number of young keepers within the B team and U19's that could also do a job if called upon.  

Alex Dominguez is a plyer I'll be keeping an eye on whilst he's developing over at Ibiza to see if he can challenge for the number 1 spot next season. Overall no action required in this department

Right Back

RB.thumb.PNG.56498329ab2697b498af2644cd6a3f60.PNG

So this table is a little bit misleading. Suarez & Curbelo, are CBs that can play as right backs, and as such I'll ignore them here. Regardless of them, RB is a position that looks in safe hands. Both Ae Diez and Alvaro Lemos are good options at this level, with Diaz having a little bit more room for growth. Due to the nature of how I'd like my tactic to be built and utilise full backs attacking, Lemos is likely to feature most of the time due to his more offensive intents. Again, no issues here as both will provide good competition for places. Vicente will provide a bench option if required with Isi and Ait Said to be in the B team.

Left Back

LBs.thumb.PNG.bb2a646311213fc3f49f2fbb4d682fb3.PNG

Undoubtedly the area with the team may struggle. Our only natural Left Back is Cardona who realistically isn't up to the required standard, and Benito isn't ideal. However due to wanting the full backs involved, Benito will likely get the starting spot due to not being good enough to get in further forward. We'll look to bring in someone with some quality for this role during the first transfer window, and if that's not possible we'll have this as a January priority. 

Center Half

cb.thumb.PNG.a16b629c6fc5c8ddec3832abf6c5af89.PNG

Our other slightly problematic area. Devoid of much quality, Ferigra is the only one with any defensive nouse about him besides Raul Navas who's getting on a bit and lacking some pace. Eric Curbelo will likely provide the main backup option behind these two due to being slightly the best of the rest, with Suarez coming in when needed. The rest will provide options for our B team. If we're able to secure a loan or permanent deal here for a pacey center half well try and do so. 

Squad Analysis - The Engine Room

Defensive Midfield

CDM.thumb.PNG.bb1b21559d186abccc2d03ea1b80b4f8.PNG

The bottom of the midfield is where we begin to find a few more options. Nuke Mfulu is a player who's comfortable playing as a half back and a role I'm looking to use, with Fabio being a player who can play deep and dictate play. Both Mesa and Kirain aren't players I'm looking to playing in this role, however the offer decent cover there so may be utilised at some point. Guti offers a good youth option, with everyone else plying their trade in the B team.

Central Midfield

cms.thumb.PNG.685cb65b85a009172a240e3dff0d31ac.PNG

My only problem with the center of midfield is who to pick! A nice dilemma to have it's got to be said. Enzo Loiodice is the stand out option here, with the Frenchman my first choice in there. Clemente is another who we can expect to see get a lot of game time, however one who perhaps won't will be loanee Sergio Ruiz. For a loan player he's not that much better than what we currently have to want to play him over our own, hampering their progress and match time. Alberto Moleiro is an exciting prospect capable of playing CM, LW or ST, so he'll be rotating as fit where game time allows and is needed. Mesa and Kirian will provide depth as good all rounders. 

Squad Analysis - The Forward Areas

Left Winger

lw.thumb.PNG.eaa723fb0c7381bb972c08b46d01e8cc.PNG

An area where we're extremely strong for our level. Jonathan Viera represents our best play by a long shot, will captain the team, take set pieces, and generally just be the main man. One player we all should recognise is former Real Madrid and Stoke player Jese. He's able to play across the front line so won't feature on the left. Pinichi and young Alberto will likely be the players the share the time this side of the pitch in the absence of Viera who's out for around 3 months at the start of the save. Laon man Penaranda is more suited to the strikers position so will be in that section. Ale Garcia represents an option for the future but will spend most time playing youth or B team football along with the rest of the players on this list.

Right Winger

rw.thumb.PNG.e3e685076d69475e102d13900f0eae5a.PNG

Not as blessed as it's left side counterpart, but it's not too shabby at all. Jese and Penjino will probably share duties here, with only Pinichi the only real cover option. This is an area where if we can raise a few funds then we can treat ourselves to an out and out winger. 

Strikers

st.thumb.PNG.b2756c96648b49dba95587a873313f41.PNG

The area that will win us games and get us out goals, and at a solid point for our level. We're likely to start off with Sadiku as a lone striker due to our bias against loan players, however Penaranda will get plenty of gametime alone with Mujica who still has some room for development. Clau Mendes provides cover and some youth, whilst the others will spend the season training with the B team or U19 squad. 

Squad Analysis - Thoughts

We can't be too upset with our squad, a little bit of work at the back required but going forward we're in a  good place. Priority if allowed will be a Left Back and another Central defender, preferably both with a bit of youth on their side as it's generally an aging defence. There's plenty of players that I'd consider expendable, and every player is up for sale at the right price if replacements are available, I won't be discounting loans, transfers or frees at this point. Next up - Form the tactics!

Edited by vDraycottv