Playing FM on smaller screen and with U-series processors

Wasn't sure where to create this topic so apologies if it shouldn't be here and mods please move it if necessary. I asked in the "new laptop" thread but looks like it was overlooked/ignored.

Can anyone playing FM on 14 inch screen give a little bit of feedback on how comfy or not it is compared to 15.6?

I know it's subjective but I mean generally whether you have to play with less columns visible in squad view, reduced 2d pitch size, etc things like that. And if you found a way to fit more stuff by fiddling with the resolution does it cause more strain to the eyes? 

I only have my work 13.3 Dell laptop to compare which I can't use for FM but even without trying I know it would be too small for me.

Another question is to those who play FM on their laptops with U-series processors which are designed for efficiency and portability more than performance. Do you find any serious issues with processing speed, noise, cooling or does the battery life shortens significantly when out and about with FM running?

Any help and feedback much appreciated as I'm planning to replace my current laptop and need to balance my choice between performance/portability/usage comfort.

I've got an M1 Macbook Air (13.3 inch screen) and i find the size absolutely fine, you get used to it really quickly

As for the U processor it will be a problem but you can mitigate this by running less leagues and less players.  Unless of course this is a Ryzen U processor which are really rather good

Frankly though if you need portability the M1 Mac is an absolute beast and its faster in terms of processing than most big gaming laptops and I have to say the learning curve from windows to MacOs is a lot easier than I imagined.

Here's the proof of the performance

Edited by Brother Ben

I play on a 14" with an 8th gen U processor. It's fine, but if you're buying a new laptop primarily for FM I'd definitely go 15'6" minimum. The 14" does feel cramped, there's no denying it. 

Game speed isn't an issue for me. I don't load that many leagues anyway, usually Eng Ita Spa Fra Ger and that's it. Obviously mileage will vary. When it comes to fan noise and heat, yeah, the fan is constantly running and the laptop gets quite hot. I put it on a table and not in my lap, and it's fine. 

Edited by Footix

On 04/11/2021 at 10:45, right_winger said:

Wasn't sure where to create this topic so apologies if it shouldn't be here and mods please move it if necessary. I asked in the "new laptop" thread but looks like it was overlooked/ignored.

Can anyone playing FM on 14 inch screen give a little bit of feedback on how comfy or not it is compared to 15.6?

I know it's subjective but I mean generally whether you have to play with less columns visible in squad view, reduced 2d pitch size, etc things like that. And if you found a way to fit more stuff by fiddling with the resolution does it cause more strain to the eyes? 

I only have my work 13.3 Dell laptop to compare which I can't use for FM but even without trying I know it would be too small for me.

Another question is to those who play FM on their laptops with U-series processors which are designed for efficiency and portability more than performance. Do you find any serious issues with processing speed, noise, cooling or does the battery life shortens significantly when out and about with FM running?

Any help and feedback much appreciated as I'm planning to replace my current laptop and need to balance my choice between performance/portability/usage comfort.

Sorry you were overlooked - you had asked previous queries which were answered by @kevhamster

Feel free to tag us using the @ 

I wouldn't have been able to answer your query anyway, I don't buy U series processors or 13 inch laptops.

For me - too underpowered, and too small.

8 hours ago, Footix said:

I play on a 14" with an 8th gen U processor. It's fine, but if you're buying a new laptop primarily for FM I'd definitely go 15'6" minimum. The 14" does feel cramped, there's no denying it. 

Game speed isn't an issue for me. I don't load that many leagues anyway, usually Eng Ita Spa Fra Ger and that's it. Obviously mileage will vary. When it comes to fan noise and heat, yeah, the fan is constantly running and the laptop gets quite hot. I put it on a table and not in my lap, and it's fine. 

Valuable advice, cheers.

And thanks to everyone else for their input.

@right_winger My take is that if you are playing FM Xbox Edition (for PC) ie what is effectively FM Touch, 14” is fine. It’s what I’ve been doing for years. For the full game though, which I only dabble in, it just feels too small - even on 125% zoom.

Although the text size is the same (I think) the full game just has more info it wants to convey and it feels a bit hard to look at on such a small screen. I’m personally wondering to what extent it’s better on a 15.6” screen.