[FM22] Newcastle United F.C - Richest club in the world

Ncfc_king

So things are going well on the pitch, 10 wins and 1 loss in 11 PL games so far. The only loss coming away at Man City to a Fernandinho 35 yard banana/wonder strike, disappointing having dominated the game.

Off the pitch however there might be an issue. Currently on track to pass the PL FFP, but apparently currently projected to miss CL FFP by £52m :eek:

PSG have just made a bid of £31.5m for Callum Wilson which should help, just hoping the PL finishing money will clear the remaining deficit. If not hopefully the board will inject some cash.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Spike said:

So things are going well on the pitch, 10 wins and 1 loss in 11 PL games so far. The only loss coming away at Man City to a Fernandinho 35 yard banana/wonder strike, disappointing having dominated the game.

Off the pitch however there might be an issue. Currently on track to pass the PL FFP, but apparently currently projected to miss CL FFP by £52m :eek:

PSG have just made a bid of £31.5m for Callum Wilson which should help, just hoping the PL finishing money will clear the remaining deficit. If not hopefully the board will inject some cash.

Panic over :cool:

KZmRDP.jpg

I see many choose to spend big right away. I tried to keep it a bit simple. I lucked myself to the last europe league spot in the very last match of the season.

My best buys were Jonas Wind (12M) and Bruno Petkovic (7,25M), who both shared the DLF(attack) role alongside Wilson with a Advanced Forward. They worked so well in this role, scoring alot of headers and providing assists. 

Gianluca Mancini (19M) was another good piece of business. Livakovic everyone knows about and is a must. Then I needed a playmaker and bought Aouar for too much money, thus ruining my modest strategy (but he was good and injury free all season).

Start of second season I've bought Sesko (17M) and Tomas Soucek (34M on transfer list) who i'm very exited about to take us to the next level. Waldemar Anton (4,9M) seems like a steal too.

Edited by V3ntricity

My team is consistently inconsistent, however, we are still inside the top half and a European spot isn’t out of the question just yet. 5 points from 7 games against the bottom 6 teams has been a huge frustration seeing as we have defeated the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Leicester. 

I aimed to bolster our fragile back line in January, bringing in James Tarkowski and Lloyd Kelly for a combined total of 21.5m. Julian Alvarez also arrived from River Plate for 16.25m and he looks like a very exciting player to finally give Callum Wilson some real competition. The other signing was Dutch U19 internationalist Xavi Simons from PSG for 350K. He goes into the U23 squad for now.

Federico Fernandez, Emil Krafth, Jonjo Shelvey, Jeff Hendrick, Joelinton, Martin Dubravka and Ciaran Clark all leave either permanently or on loan having failed to impress me over the first half of the campaign. 

Bottom of the table Burnley up next. I think it’s time to finally beat a team that is in the relegation battle. 

10CBD1BB-CC14-498F-8004-8C625AE25CF2.jpeg

ADECE4FD-C160-4E63-9172-B5B6464D6547.jpeg

Half way point reached in the league and going way better than expected. The highlight being the last game of the first half of the season, a 3-2 win away at Anfield to open up a 7 point gap (courtesy of an 89th minute Neres winner despite being down to 10 men).

NZ4zJ8.jpg

Despite so many new signings the squad seemed to gel straight away and hasn't really slowed down, the only 2 defeats coming in Manchester.

wjQhjz.jpg

Hopefully the second half of the season is just as good.

11 hours ago, Spike said:

Negotiate it! I I managed to sell him for 40+million in a 1 x 12-month instalment.

Newcastle United: Season 1 (21/22)

I did what I usually do and I started unemployed, skipped through to December and played through until March when Newcastle United approached me. There wasn't many sackings in the Premier League, just Norwich City (which I didn't fancy) and Aston Villa (which I did a big save with a few years ago), so next up was the Geordie's, everyone else seems to be having fun with them so thought why not - good club to start my save at!

Anyway, I had signings turned off at the start of the game, but I was very surprised to see they've not bought or sold anyone in January, they were struggling too. They eventually sacked their manager and I took charge in mid-March. There was no expectations on me, so I was able to play through the remainder of the season with no pressure, looking for a suitable tactic. They were 15th when I took over, and we finished the season in 11th. I've settled on a 3-5-2 as my primary tactic, so I'm now spending the summer recruiting for that system.

1151681741_Screenshot2021-11-16at14_10_11.png.38d0f626c92fe516d3a85acaf7baf2a7.png

They squad is poor, so it's going to be a complete overhaul with the £190m budget they've given me.

304986599_Screenshot2021-11-15at19_52_32.thumb.png.7885bd0614c37e32f4350a1cb79aa88e.png

They have a couple of promising youngsters; Elliot Anderson looks a talent and a few weeks after I took over I got two elite talents through the intake; right-sided midfielder Matt Swift and centre-back James Gayle :D 

I started a Newcastle save and I'm looking for a DM. My plan is to use both 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 deep and I'm looking for a player able to play as dlp or hb. 

Someone which has good defensive stats to play as pivot but also passing and vision to be my playmaker. More a Busquets than a Jorginho for example....

Any advice? Declan Rice could be a choice but in my opinion his playmaker stats are too low. Yes he can be trained as DLP but how much room for improvement?.....Ruben Neves? Any other....?

The ideal player would be Kimmich,  but obviously he isn't interested in Newcastle.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Ivan787 said:

I started a Newcastle save and I'm looking for a DM. My plan is to use both 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 deep and I'm looking for a player able to play as dlp or hb. 

Someone which has good defensive stats to play as pivot but also passing and vision to be my playmaker. More a Busquets than a Jorginho for example....

Any advice? Declan Rice could be a choice but in my opinion his playmaker stats are too low. Yes he can be trained as DLP but how much room for improvement?.....Ruben Neves? Any other....?

The ideal player would be Kimmich,  but obviously he isn't interested in Newcastle.

Thanks

I signed Julian Weigl from Benfica and he plays well in either of those two roles although I prefer to use a half back.

Newcastle United: Season 2 (22/23)

After starting unemployed and taking the job in March 2022, this summer was prime for a clear out and that's exactly what I've done, only Callum Wilson, Martin Dubravka, Jamaal Lascelles, Joe Willock, Allan Saint-Maximin, Freddie Woodman and Elliot Anderson returning from his season long loan, survived the cull.

I had a major staff turnover too, bringing in Roy Keane as my number two, Nicky Butt as Head of Youth Development, Luís Campos as Director of Football, Javier Ribalta as Technical Director and Martyn Glover as Chief Scout, as the highest profile appointments. The coaching is now at 4-5 star in all areas and the scouting set-up and been completely overhauled too. 

This is how my window went, split over the two screenshots as I bought some players as soon as the season ended:

54774854_Screenshot2021-11-17at15_19_19.thumb.png.6238090044277a7c902cf42306e6c54d.png

1870895877_Screenshot2021-11-17at15_19_27.thumb.png.e0f4c2617896df95dd8b358c973beaa0.png

I had a clear plan to build a 3-5-2 around strong, physical players, helping us dominate at set pieces too all with stronger, better personalities compared to their previous players and we now have a determined squad personality. Buzzing with the signings all in, window is still open so could be tempted on deadline day for a loan deal for a striker as Youssoufa Moukoko doesn't arrive until next Summer.

196245153_Screenshot2021-11-17at15_22_07.png.cf8d0669ba683a65fcc2f23172e3f73f.png

The boards expectation is just mid-table and a decent showing in the domestic cups so I think this season will be a breeze.

Edited by stevemc

Heading into the last month of the campaign and my target of a top half finish and a cup semi final looks like it’s going to be achieved. I’m happy with that. 

A strong 8 match unbeaten run after my last update has the team still in the hunt for a guaranteed European spot. The FA Cup run has been great, defeating Lincoln City, West Ham United, Leicester City, Sheffield United and Brentford on route to the final. Man City await at Wembley. 

January signings Tarkowski, Kelly and Alvarez have all improved the team. The squad has been shaping up nicely without a huge makeover and I will only be adding 3/4 new faces in the summer window with Dwight Gayle, Miguel Almiron, Fabian Schar and Isaac Hayden being the ones who are likely to leave. I don’t want to win the league with a squad of superstars in just a year or two, but noticeable progress each year will be required as we push towards being a regular Champions League side. 

B2364B16-05F2-4EF6-A488-079466B6332A.jpeg

2D883FF7-355F-41ED-B769-1E67541E80F4.jpeg

I'm in september of my 2nd season at Newcastle. I surprisingly won the Premier League last season.

image.thumb.png.a5449f213c8a6a26b41c345825c5f542.png

Transfers in Summer Season 1:

1.png

Transfers in Winter Season 1:

What I could afford to get some more depth

image.png.6335e5f6534a4ae2b6f9f941f5fc21d4.png

Transfers out Summer/Winter Season 1:

I got rid of most of the deadwood, which was a lot. throughout the season I kept Darlow, Lascelles, Manquillo and Lewis as back-ups for my back line. Hayden filled in where needed in midfield. Saint-Allan covered as a backup for the flanks and Wilson was my only other front option until the winter transfer window.

Huge TIP: To get rid of players like Joelinton, Hendrick, Murphy, ... try to send em out on loan with a mandatory fee (or a fee after 5 games) of their value. That sometimes works. If you still can't get rid of them it's because teams don't have the wage budget to pay for their loan, multiply their weekly wage by 4 and ask for a used/unused fee of that equivalent. Chances are that teams have the transfer budget to get them in instead. At least this way you don't pay their salary until someone gets interested enough to buy them. 

Squad and tactic Season 1:

image.png.2c15fdabfabc6e365c6585b55dc5daea.png

GK: Dubravka did  a great job in goal for me

image.thumb.png.d2e1a38f9a30c92f3cb2c2023cfdfc53.png

DC: Gvardiol /Nianzou were my duo in the back for most of the season

image.thumb.png.62f105021e649a79fbff2fde3190d1bf.pngimage.thumb.png.b10e319b265db5549c7135bf4fb6dce5.png

WB: Theo Hernandez on the left/Alphonso Davies on the right after a few weeks of retraining. These wingbacks were an unstoppable force thanks to their speed

image.thumb.png.e59cad7ddd6d97ca4693b9c82b0b2fe7.pngimage.thumb.png.795f9630f99040fca8cfae815f8069e3.png

MC: My midfield trio Declan, Bellingham, and Willock. Declan in any protective role, struggled to get his rating up, Bellingham as a BBM role was great, and Willock as an AP did a good job too.

image.thumb.png.cfcc4dae2dc365e19a6135c2b4bc1e93.pngimage.thumb.png.5ebbc20ba4d6e5c069447ed74a4ff88d.pngimage.thumb.png.9ec9606d1445ecd7fe2854c9ff01fbc3.png

IW: Musiala did ok on the left and proved to be a goalscoring threat, but I expected a bit more of him. Saint-Maximin's performances were actually even better, but the link with Hernandez made him my first choice. Kulusevski on the right was of a similar mould as Musiala.

image.thumb.png.66c8d41d5129445711b4cbeddd309079.pngimage.thumb.png.2d18010dcdffac79d1c70019a2df4070.png

ST: Calvert-Lewin didn't lose his spot to Wilson, unless he was injured. Ronaldo became the top goalscorer with 33 goals... No way he could've caught up with him.

image.thumb.png.7fbb6a277d2a1a58fcbc36880e3d6186.png

What I could afford to get some more depth.

Transfers in Summer Season 2:

I got 178m and a 3M+ wage budget to spend just after I got a CL spot, and as I always do when doing transfers for the big targets I pay up about 20-30mil up front and the rest in installments and bonusses. The good thing about a Sugar Daddy is that they fill up the hole you dig... luckily. So take a seat and enjoy the show! Keep in mind that to get world class players that seem uninterested to join at first, you just have to boost your teams reputation by getting other players in that do want to join and do exactly that.

image.png.d0175c3aee49e808f1dce8f127ddf3dc.pngimage.png.312c97ee51b2b947599203793372567d.png

As you can see, my team became pretty unbeatable in just one season's time. Pay attention that you can only get 6 foreign U21 players from abroad per season. I still have Moukoko, Angelo and Luka Romero coming in in January 2023 so I went easy on the other 3 young toptalents for this season being Pedri, Fati and Camavinga. Madueke is an english player abroad and Reyna is actually english as well so he doesn't count. Khvicha and Mamardashvili were 21 years already when I got them in.

As I don't have any players trained by the club anymore (I'm hoping Dane and Devine can become those for me in the future) I was only able to add 21 players to my CL list. I had some tough decisions to make, but only Nianzou complained a bit. So all good.

As you can see I'm building for the future with wonderkids or world class talents for all positions. I try to get in tutors as well in the likes of Belotti, Coates, Daniel Silva and Ademi, to get the determination (so their attributes go up faster) of players up if I can spare it. Another way of getting determination up is when after a game a player has a rating of 6.5 or below you can discipline him with a 1/2 week's wage fine. Sometimes their Work Rate and/or Determination go up with 1 if they agree.

Squad and tactic Season 2:

image.png.4cfdafd8baec3aaa5e43c09cc84cd8f7.png

I'm currently lying in 2nd position. We lost our home game against Liverpool with 0-1 thanks to a red card for Gvardiol and managed a draw against Leicester City, but I'm confident we'll come out on top again this season. 2 out of 2 wins in the CL campaign as well so far.

image.png.310ce4b14f9b5ff9b4b208814fe5a60d.png

Our team cohesion obviously needs a bit of work still

image.thumb.png.ed50a2b864b745d001d7f553cc27370a.png

Finances are still "Okay", I love you Sugar Daddy! Although failing the FFP I'm sure he'll help me out on that too.

image.thumb.png.9ba432d5fdc72dd752388e84faed007c.png

image.png

Edited by phugalu

Finished the first season in 8th resulting in no European football again but I’m quite happy with that because it’s means no busy schedule whilst we aim to move into the top 6. 

Man City defeated us 2-0 in the FA Cup final. I’m pretty disappointed we didn’t put up more of a fight but it’s a lesson learnt. Another solid cup run is now expected.

I’ve brought in 4 new players for the 22/23 campaign. Gianluca Mancini and Leonardo Spinazzola are both signed from Roma for a combined fee of £60m. They will be key players moving forward. I’m hoping that Spinazzola pace and ability to cut inside from the left wing back role will provide us with a different attacking dimension.

Chris Wood arrives from the relegated Burnley for £13.5m. He scored 16 league goals last year and gives us a plan B up front. Callum Wilson bagged 25 league goals but we lacked that option from the bench.

The last addition is Billy Gilmour on loan from Chelsea with the option to buy for £23m. He will compete with John McGinn, Patrick Berg, Sean Longstaff and Joe Willock for a starting place in the midfield. 

Isaac Hayden, Miguel Almiron, Jeff Hendrick, Fabian Schar, Mark Gillespie, Matty Longstaff, Dwight Gayle and Joelinton are notable players who have left the club permanently.

First up Arsenal at home.  

Edited by CKMK32

On 19/11/2021 at 17:52, phugalu said:

I'm in september of my 2nd season at Newcastle. I surprisingly won the Premier League last season.

1.png

I got rid of most of the deadwood, which was a lot. throughout the season I kept Darlow, Lascelles, Manquillo and Lewis as back-ups for my back line. Hayden filled in where needed in midfield. Saint-Allan covered as a backup for the flanks and Wilson was my only other front option until the winter transfer window.

Huge TIP: To get rid of players like Joelinton, Hendrick, Murphy, ... try to send em out on loan with a mandatory fee (or a fee after 5 games) of their value. That sometimes works. If you still can't get rid of them it's because teams don't have the wage budget to pay for their loan, multiply their weekly wage by 4 and ask for a used/unused fee of that equivalent. Chances are that teams have the transfer budget to get them in instead. At least this way you don't pay their salary until someone gets interested enough to buy them. 

image.thumb.png.62f105021e649a79fbff2fde3190d1bf.pngimage.thumb.png.b10e319b265db5549c7135bf4fb6dce5.png

WB: Theo Hernandez on the left/Alphonso Davies on the right after a few weeks of retraining. These wingbacks were an unstoppable force thanks to their speed

image.thumb.png.e59cad7ddd6d97ca4693b9c82b0b2fe7.pngimage.thumb.png.795f9630f99040fca8cfae815f8069e3.png

MC: My midfield trio Declan, Bellingham, and Willock. Declan in any protective role, struggled to get his rating up, Bellingham as a BBM role was great, and Willock as an AP did a good job too.

image.thumb.png.cfcc4dae2dc365e19a6135c2b4bc1e93.pngimage.thumb.png.5ebbc20ba4d6e5c069447ed74a4ff88d.pngimage.thumb.png.9ec9606d1445ecd7fe2854c9ff01fbc3.png

IW: Musiala did ok on the left and proved to be a goalscoring threat, but I expected a bit more of him. Saint-Maximin's performances were actually even better, but the link with Hernandez made him my first choice. Kulusevski on the right was of a similar mould as Musiala.

image.thumb.png.66c8d41d5129445711b4cbeddd309079.pngimage.thumb.png.2d18010dcdffac79d1c70019a2df4070.png

ST: Calvert-Lewin didn't lose his spot to Wilson, unless he was injured. Ronaldo became the top goalscorer with 33 goals... No way he could've caught up with him.

I got 178m and a 3M+ wage budget to spend just after I got a CL spot, and as I always do when doing transfers for the big targets I pay up about 20-30mil up front and the rest in installments and bonusses. The good thing about a Sugar Daddy is that they fill up the hole you dig... luckily. So take a seat and enjoy the show! Keep in mind that to get world class players that seem uninterested to join at first, you just have to boost your teams reputation by getting other players in that do want to join and do exactly that.

image.png.d0175c3aee49e808f1dce8f127ddf3dc.pngimage.png.312c97ee51b2b947599203793372567d.png

As you can see, my team became pretty unbeatable in just one season's time. Pay attention that you can only get 6 foreign U21 players from abroad per season. I still have Moukoko, Angelo and Luka Romero coming in in January 2023 so I went easy on the other 3 young toptalents for this season being Pedri, Fati and Camavinga. Madueke is an english player abroad and Reyna is actually english as well so he doesn't count. Khvicha and Mamardashvili were 21 years already when I got them in.

As I don't have any players trained by the club anymore (I'm hoping Dane and Devine can become those for me in the future) I was only able to add 21 players to my CL list. I had some tough decisions to make, but only Nianzou complained a bit. So all good.

As you can see I'm building for the future with wonderkids or world class talents for all positions. I try to get in tutors as well in the likes of Belotti, Coates, Daniel Silva and Ademi, to get the determination (so their attributes go up faster) of players up if I can spare it. Another way of getting determination up is when after a game a player has a rating of 6.5 or below you can discipline him with a 1/2 week's wage fine. Sometimes their Work Rate and/or Determination go up with 1 if they agree.

I'm currently lying in 2nd position. We lost our home game against Liverpool with 0-1 thanks to a red card for Gvardiol and managed a draw against Leicester City, but I'm confident we'll come out on top again this season. 2 out of 2 wins in the CL campaign as well so far.

Finances are still "Okay", I love you Sugar Daddy! Although failing the FFP I'm sure he'll help me out on that too.

image.png

I really cant bring myself to play this way, and i like to build a team over a few years and make it as realistic as possible. 

Looks like a solid team though 

Il 19/11/2021 in 18:52 , phugalu ha scritto:

1.png

image.png

Roughly 700M the first summer transfer outcome. How is it possible?

30 minutes ago, Ivan787 said:

Roughly 700M the first summer transfer outcome. How is it possible?

Installment payments, I think if you do 12 monthly and say over 3 months you'd only pay the first installment out of the current seasons budget. So what would be a £60mil transfer is £20mil in current year.

4 hours ago, wwffan2 said:

Recently just started this save, I believe this the worst run of fixtures I have ever seen.

please let me know your thoughts

image.png.c812539f4cc8a9494539b569eb9b07bd.png

Can I include CL/Cup matches?

1138128441_NewcastleUnited_Fixtures.thumb.png.5601fb7bed9f5017d0e806ef8a1d3e88.png

The weak start I had and that little run of matches above killed my top 4 hopes this year. Came really close at the end, and ended up at 6. place though. 2 points behind Arsenal and Man Utd, Arsenal getting the fourth CL spot on goal difference. All in all should be happy with that.

Did REALLY well in the champions league, managing to win it at my first attempt. That means another season with CL football and lots to build on for next season. After the harsh run posted above, we got right back on tracked and finished the season almost perfectly, the tie against Leicester being the one result we can look back with regret on as it cost us a top 4 position.

661913585_NewcastleUnited_Fixtures-2.png.1728b9e3c896171699634aa71ca9373a.png

Really happy with how I turned the season around though and looking forward for next season where I'll be aiming for a top 3 position. Won't make as many signings now, but will try to tie down the players I already have. Switching over to a quality over quantity mindset, would like one world-class CM and RB and I'd be happy. Would of course also need to replace any players potentially getting snapped up.

Current team and performances this season, Esposito has been the one player to really smash all expectations. What a striker! Livakovic also came right in and made a real difference.

1151305845_NewcastleUnited_Players-2.thumb.png.3ac19f81623ccfc78851c312d5c94f3e.png

Edited by Tullekunstner

2 hours ago, james_wilko said:

Installment payments, I think if you do 12 monthly and say over 3 months you'd only pay the first installment out of the current seasons budget. So what would be a £60mil transfer is £20mil in current year.

Yup, what James said. If a player costs 80mil and you pay 20mil up front, and the other 60mil on 3 installments every 12 months and/or bonusses, only the 20mil would come off your current transfer budget. A normal club would go into administration after a year or two if you keep this up with every player you get in, but since you have the richest owners they'll fill the gap for you. Keep in mind that no matter how good you peform, if your finances are bad (like mine) it won't be easy to get extra coaches, scouts, affiliate clubs, improvements on facilities etc. You'll have to wait until they filled that gap for you and are financially fine (nothing in the red). But if you wanna create a top team on the short term with Newcastle United, this is the way to go. Not everyone will enjoy this playstyle of course, that's up to you to decide.

Edited by phugalu

Dominik Livakovic is a player I cannot recommended enough for anyone looking to sign a new goalkeeper. He just keeps getting better and better. 7.40 average rating at the moment after 12 league games, 2nd season. Update to follow.

I also started a save but went a different route,the owners wanted big names but i went for talent.

Season 1 transfers:

GK - still need to buy but thinking of Bazunu

DR - Gusto           DC - Nianzou and Badiashile         DL - Hackett

DM - Skipp

MC - Devine - Patino  and Puig (only had to pay 2M for Puig )

AMR - Elliott

ST -  Scarlett - Sesko

Was a bit in trouble with FFP ,not a lot because i also buy players with 3 year instalments and manage to pay them without the help from board.

Sold a few players but still need to get rid of a few more ,but it's difficult.

The 2 DC and Devine and Sesko are performing top class already ,played 12 matches so far,strange enough none of the top teams.

I'm in second position but expect to drop a bit after to top games .

Strange that i'm on top and the board are still upset i didn't buy big names.

So the first season is finished and what a season it was.

First the transfers. A complete squad overhaul was undertaken with the view that the first season would be a period of transition without too much pressure to finish in the European places;

IN - SUMMER (£227.2m)

Alexander Isak (Real San Sebastian) @ £38m

Renan Lodi (Atletico) @ £24m

David Neres (Ajax) @ £22m

Andrea Belotti (Torino) @ £20m

Kingsley Coman (Bayern) @ £19m

Gianluca Mancini (Roma) @ £18m

Andre Onana (Ajax) @ £18m (£20.5m)

Joe Gelhardt (Leeds Utd) @ £16.5m (£19.5m)

Tanguy Nianzou (Bayern) @ £12.5m

Kevin Mbabu (Wolfsburg) @ £8.5m

Denis Zakaria (Monchengladbach) @ £8m

Moussa Niakhite (Mainz) @ £7.5m (£8.5m)

Dani Ceballos (Madrid) @ £7m

Julian Alvarez (River) @ £4.7m

Elye Wahi (Montpellier) @ £3.5m (£5.25m)

OUT - SUMMER (£46m)

Ryan Fraser (Villa) @ £10m

Miguel Almiron (West Ham) @ £9m

Isaac Hayden (Leeds Utd) @ £7m

Matt Ritchie (Burnley) @ £4.6m

Joelinton (Dinamo Moscow) @ £4.4m

Jonjo Shelvey (Spezia) @ £4.3m

Emil Krafth (Villa) @ £3.8m

Dwight Gayle (Notts Forest) @ £1.9m

Mark Gillespie (NCYFC) @ £1m

IN – JANUARY (£11m)

Khellven (Paranaense) @ £9m

Santiago Munoz (Snatos Laguna) @ £2m

OUT – JANUARY (£41.05m)

Callum Wilson (PSG) @ £31.5m

Martin Dubravka (Al-Ain) @ £6.25m

Javi Manquillo (Krasnodar) @ £1.8m

Jacob Murphy (Watford) @ £1.5m

TOTAL NET SPEND 2021-2022 @ £151.15m 

Despite the number of changes, the squad gelled instantly, scoring 6 goals in each of the first two games and going on to smash all kinds of records in the process (most points, most goals scored, most wins to name a few).

HS1fUM.jpg

There was considerable rotation over the course of the season to ensure everyone got plenty of game time and virtually every player performed exceptionally. Isak & Belotti in particular formed a lethal partnership up front, while Julian Alvarez and Nianzou were the bargains of the season.

jzgwKD.jpg

The summer transfer window ahead of season 2 has been more of a case of adding quality over quantity this time around, with all positions now having starting quality cover;

IN (£251.75m)

Jude Bellingham (Dortmund) @ £85m (£90m)

Fran Kessie (Milan) @ £80m

Eric Garcia (Barcelona) @ £40m (£46m)

Sergino Dest (Barcelona) @ £32m

Yusuf Demir (SK Rapid Vienna) @ £7.75m

Andreas Schjelderup (FC Nordsjaelland) @ £7m

OUT (£56.6m)

Jamal Lewis (Aston Villa) @ £14.5m

Denis Zakaria (Lyon) @ £11.5m

Sean Longstaff (Fulham) @ £11.25m

Jamaal Lascelles (Brighton) @ £7.75m

Karl Darlow (West Ham) @ £5m

Jeff Hendrick (Shakhtar) @ £4m

Federico Fernandez (River) @ £1.4m

Ciaran Clark (PAOK) @ £1.2m

TOTAL NET SPEND 2022-2023 @ £195.15m

This leaves the squad in good shape for an assault both domestically and in Europe, with my starting XI and rotational XI as follows;

wrdNUc.jpgCYpPJ1.jpg

Newcastle United: Season 2 (22/23)

After starting unemployed and taking the job in March 2022, it only took me 13 months to lead Newcastle United to the title plus the Carabao Cup.

PREMIER LEAGUE:

We managed to overachieve our way to the title, with Manchester United bottling it away at Arsenal on the final day, allowing us to sneak in and win the title on goal difference :D  We did beat Manchester United at Old Trafford earlier in the season so I think it was deserved.

Dušan Vlahović was absolutely disgusting, claiming the top goalscorer in the league with 38 goals in 34 games, and ended the full season with 46 goals.

1873530853_finalday.png.93dfc4a81daa8b494ac4856ced980834.png

1951209372_Screenshot2021-11-24at20_42_29.thumb.png.47a5f713153baa7e4f74390039b724a2.png

league1.thumb.png.6a19061028b15790a080672e7d0defcc.png

LEAGUE CUP:

Turned over Arsenal in the final, to be honest they were never really in the game, completely dominated  running out 2-0 winners:

efl-cup.thumb.png.4f04df12f20e58746fe71118850f98ef.png

cup.thumb.png.0de0be7925dd9ffff803ee1be69077ce.png

FA CUP:

FA Cup was rough as we drew Liverpool away and ended up losing 1-0:

864125541_Screenshot2021-11-24at21_11_00.thumb.png.1ccafd9ffbac74fc87d5c75567034f17.png

My overall team for the season looked like this below, with some great set piece takers in Lucas Digne supplying assist-after-assist from corner for the massive centre-backs, and Vladimir Coufal on long flat bullet throws too :D 

2038701288_Screenshot2021-11-24at21_12_45.thumb.png.907b36d275f7fe61c75e682f603bf5fa.png

This summer I've added James Ward-Prowse and Jude Bellingham so far but I only really have the FA Cup left to win in England as this is a glory hunter save, so I will be moving around, Manchester City have just offered me the job so I'm thinking about it as they are in the Europa League and that would be an easy pick up with their squad before moving abroad...

Edited by stevemc

I’m in the middle of Jan in the second season, sitting top of the league.

Southampton offered £17m for Dubravka (aged 33) but I had to reject because I don’t want to replace him mid-season and even with my £42m transfer budget there aren’t any great replacements!

On 12/11/2021 at 20:46, Ivan787 said:

Just a stupid question: if I disable the first transfer window, I will have the full budget in January?

If it's not been answered (not gone through the thread yet) you will have the full budget. I found a better way for me at least to make it interesting is start the season on 17th Jan 22 using the Swedish league's early pre-season start date and take over the club then. 

Jones is still in charge and usually Newcastle are either top 8 with current squad or better still sat 19th and 4/5 points from safety. Makes it harder to sign all the big names and all the expiring contracts aren't interested but it does add some realism to it. Feels like a rebuild and I imagine it as the club have been waiting for the right manager but are stuck in the relegation zone so hire a cheaper option due to the threat of relegation. 

Just finished my second season with the toon. Disabled the first transfer to try to keep it more realistic. Won the league on the last day, beating City 2-1 away. Isak and Vlahovic have got 66 goals between them and I’ve got Galatasary in the Euro League 2 final and then United in the FA cup final. 

I find it hilarious that Liverpool went unbeaten and still finished 2nd 😂.

Squad at the end of the second season is:

Sweeper Keeper (S) - Dubravka/Woodman
Wing Back (Auto) - Menino/Esteves
CB - Tarkowski/Lascelles
CB - Inacio/Morato
Wing Back (Auto) - Lodi/Lewis
Deep Lying Playmaker (D) - de Paula/Gagliarini
Mezzala (A) - Willock/Gallagher
Advanced Playmaker (S) - Oscar/Gavi
Inside Forward (A)- Adeyami/Demir/Isak
Inside Forward (A) - Saint-Maximin/Ontiveros/Isak
Advanced Forward (A) - Isak/Vlahovic

I always try and sign players to fit my system, rather than sign superstars. Obviously wonder kids become superstars but Oscar, for example, cost 7.25m from Sevilla and he’s got 33 assists from CM in 18 months. He’s been immense! 

Tarkowski wants to leave (wants more game time and has started 42 games 👀) and I want to get rid of Lascelles so 2 new right sided Centre Backs and maybe a new starting keeper. 

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the save! 

812E3BDF-9AB5-431A-BA47-589332B720AB.jpeg

Just about finishing off my first transfer window with NUFC just as a fun little save over the holiday period... man am i happy with my signings and outgoings... 

My goal was to get Gareth Bale through the door, which seemed impossible at the start of the save, but after some high rep signings, he was finally open to discussing a move.. i'm paying him an extortionate amount in wages but stuff it... he's my favourite player ... going to have some fun with him while he has a few years left..

I won't bore you with the whole transfer saga .. but here is my first team... more than enough to see me to a top half finish or more i think...

gDYLs7b.png

4 hours ago, Welshace said:

Just about finishing off my first transfer window with NUFC just as a fun little save over the holiday period... man am i happy with my signings and outgoings... 

My goal was to get Gareth Bale through the door, which seemed impossible at the start of the save, but after some high rep signings, he was finally open to discussing a move.. i'm paying him an extortionate amount in wages but stuff it... he's my favourite player ... going to have some fun with him while he has a few years left..

I won't bore you with the whole transfer saga .. but here is my first team... more than enough to see me to a top half finish or more i think...

gDYLs7b.png

That is one hell of a squad there mate. How did you manage to get all of them in even with a £200m budget.

10 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

That is one hell of a squad there mate. How did you manage to get all of them in even with a £200m budget.

Sold 82 odd million of the existing squad and paid a lot over installments

Spent 380 million on players in i think

On 16/11/2021 at 04:46, V3ntricity said:

I see many choose to spend big right away. I tried to keep it a bit simple. I lucked myself to the last europe league spot in the very last match of the season.

My best buys were Jonas Wind (12M) and Bruno Petkovic (7,25M), who both shared the DLF(attack) role alongside Wilson with a Advanced Forward. They worked so well in this role, scoring alot of headers and providing assists. 

Gianluca Mancini (19M) was another good piece of business. Livakovic everyone knows about and is a must. Then I needed a playmaker and bought Aouar for too much money, thus ruining my modest strategy (but he was good and injury free all season).

Start of second season I've bought Sesko (17M) and Tomas Soucek (34M on transfer list) who i'm very exited about to take us to the next level. Waldemar Anton (4,9M) seems like a steal too.

Mancini is a must buy for any save, has been unreal for me. Only thing that annoyed me was the release clause in his contract he demanded, but still worth it. 

13 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I was amazed you got £82m for the whole of the existing squad lol.

Haha, I've noticed it can be hit an miss if you can sell a player in the first window with a lot of the players at newcastle...  the likes of Joelinton, Fraser, Almiron, Lascelles and Shelvey are sellable, but it's important how you go about it without scaring off any suitors. .. once those are gone, it's just a few mil here and there to make up the deficit

• 1 month later...

I know I'm a bit late to the party but here goes, I started my Newcastle save with no badges and Sunday league reputation as well as disabling the first transfer window, couldn't play the way I normally like to play (short, controlled passing) as we just didn't have the players capable, ended up playing a direct counter attacking style which served my quite well, we were sitting in midtable until January and I did nothing spectacular in the cups, things improved with a change from a 4 - 3 -3 DM Wide to a 4 - 2 - 4 formation and the addition of Barbosa for £17.25 million in January, I also brought in Trippier for £13.5 million, Phil Jones ( I know😂) and Alberto Moreno for back up,  Trevor Chalobah on loan who was brilliant, outgoing I sold Gayle for £1.1 million and Ritchie for £3.4 million. Ended up 7th in the league and snuck into the European Conference League, Kept Wilson fit and he banged in 27 in 40 and Barbosa notched 15 in 20, honourable mentions for ASM for 8 in 34 with 18 assists and Ryan Frasers 3 in 31 with 13 assists, enjoyable save up to now.

• 1 month later...

Started a Newcastle save, for the opportunity to do the polar opposite of what I like to do on FM (slow, steady changes over time to a side) and go on a wild shopping spree. Why not. Never ripped an entire team up and started from scratch, so I've no idea how long this will take to gel...

Core principles of the squad building were to play a 4-3-3 with an uncomplicated defensive function, a midfield three built on ball carriers and energy, wide men with pace to whip low crosses in and a mobile striker - the attacking unit being built to hit sides on the break. I wanted a few English players in there (to retain the core eight homegrown without difficulty), investment in talented youth who we could build around for the future and leaders who could help dig us out during the more challenging periods of the season.

Stretched most of the deals over a few seasons, to make the £200m go further. Plan (barring injury crises) is to make no further transfers this year and then to limit to 2 additions per season at most.

The ins were as follows:

GK - Urgucan Cakir (£18m)
DR: Kieran Tripper (£20m)
DR/MC: Jamie Shackleton (bizaare swap deal, where Leeds offered him for the unwanted Karl Darlow)
DC: Matias Ginter (£16m)
DC: Ben Mee (£16m)
DC: Andrea Carboni (£7m)
DL: Renan Lodi (£26m)
DM/MC: Declan Rice (£85m)
DM/MC: Niclas Seiwald (£11m)
DM/MC: Samuele Ricci (£15m)
AMR/AML: David Neres (£24m)
ST: Gabriel Barbosa (£45m)
ST: Benjamin Sesko (£18m - arriving at end of Austrian season)

Total = £301m

With the addition of ASM on the right wing, that's the first choice 11 (with Carboni on the bench). 

A few minor outs, mainly to trim the squad and prevent clutter: Gayle, Shelvey, Dummett, Hendrick, Clark, Krafth (plus Darlow, in the swap deal)

Pre season going well, but not started any league games yet.

Board refusing any development to the youth setup, youth recruitment or training facilities, so god knows what my brand new Head of Youth Development can do. 

Edited by g.j.oughton

• 4 weeks later...

I started unemployed as Nuno Gomes this save and landed the Newcastle job on the 22nd of November 2021.

Eddie Howe signed Dominic Calver-Lewin (Everton), Diego Carlos (Sevilla) and Henrik Mkhytarian (AS Roma) in Summer '21 before being sacked. There currently 16th with 11 points (just in front of Arsenal and Chelsea, lol) and are already kicked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd Round by Arsenal.

I'm curious where I can bring them..first job: getting the staff sorted!

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2022 at 23:36, BadAss88 said:

I started unemployed as Nuno Gomes this save and landed the Newcastle job on the 22nd of November 2021.

Eddie Howe signed Dominic Calver-Lewin (Everton), Diego Carlos (Sevilla) and Henrik Mkhytarian (AS Roma) in Summer '21 before being sacked. There currently 16th with 11 points (just in front of Arsenal and Chelsea, lol) and are already kicked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd Round by Arsenal.

I'm curious where I can bring them..first job: getting the staff sorted!

Well 5 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses further and we're already in 10th place at Newyear. Now during january I'm gonna analyse the whole team and cut off a lot of deadwood that doesn't have a future here and invest in some needed reinforcements. 

Introduction – Welcome to St James Park

There must be a temptation for anyone - not affixed to the lower leagues – to try their hand at Newcastle United in Football Manager 2022. After years of plodding through seasons, unambitiously upheld by Mike Ashley with no greater aim than to stay in the top division, they’ve just been taken over by the Saudi Public Investment Fund. Morally, what you make of this is entirely up to you. The cold reality is that they’re here to stay, and they’ve brought money. Lots and lots and lots and lots of money.

The challenge, I think, is a really tantalising one. It is to build the squad up, almost from scratch to the standards that a newly mega-loaded football club will expect. The closest thing to it is probably Manchester City in FM 2009, just after the UAE buy-out and prior to them wielding that newfound wealth, give or take the odd Robinho. In other words, the Magpies are a sandbox. Construct a good team, hopefully oversee the club’s rise to prominence, and get them to improve the facilities to match that widened outlook.

But it is not without issues. The squad, pre-Saudi money, is largely terrible, basically a Championship side with a few good players grafted on. Even the handful of ballers added in the intervening period are just that – a few, not the wholesale change that needs to happen. For the most part, it simply isn’t good enough and will struggle to survive, let alone hit the top ten spots. FFP limitations and the good – though not endless – budget of £130 million, combined with the small resale value of players you want to sell, place further restrictions on what you can achieve in the first window.

It’s a case of working out the neediest areas for development, making do elsewhere, praying to whatever deity you worship for a bare minimum of injuries, and working through it. My feeling is that the top half should be attainable, indeed a spot in one of the European competitions isn’t out of the question, though challenging for the title would look, to me, to be out of the question with a brand new set of players coming up against established great squads.

There’s a contrast between what the board expects and what I think is achievable:

nu0721expectations.jpg.964360f5886be42754c0fd4a1d5d7586.jpg

And that seems sensible, especially with a squad that isn’t likely to look settled for several months into the campaign, coupled with that gradual whittling down of those we no longer want. We should be able to flat-track bully our way beyond most comers, but the really good English teams – Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Chelsea – ought to have far too much to out-gun us. For now, at least.

The Squad

A really intriguing factor with Newcastle is what you do with the players you inherit. In some ways, the task has been made a little bit easier with the data update. Earlier saves would have had you enjoying a bigger transfer budget, but with more deadwood to replace, whereas now you already have Trippier, Targett, Guimaraes and Wood in the squad. All four are at least good enough to remain in the short-term.

Otherwise, it’s a case of diving into the transfer market quickly, decisively and, in some areas of the team, with a mind to changing all personnel before the season’s start. It may be worth drawing up lists of the players you want to keep and sell before starting anything, because unless you’re the sort of Rafa style enthusiast for drawing diamonds from turds, you will be looking to add new faces in short order. My list looks like this:

nu0721squad.jpg.2bf358b479d186b7f9f65b03e1283edf.jpg

That’s nine to hold on to, ten to lose, and nine maybes. For me, the left and right columns are pretty straightforward. There are some decent players here, one who’s really good (ASM) and several who can become so over time. Sorry Magpies, I just don’t fancy your centre-backs very much. Clark is transfer-listed from the start, so I am happy to encourage other teams to place their bids. The only real concern among this lot is Lascelles, who just happens to be captain and a team leader. Selling him could cause problems with other players in the group, but as far as I’m concerned, his elevated status is a sign that we have been only too happy to reward mediocrity in the past. If we are to progress, then Lascelles needs to go. And fast.

The middle group take a little more explaining. Here’s my notes:

• Dubravka – decent enough long-term keeper, but injured at the start of the game and we are likely to have a replacement in by the time he returns. By that stage, his starting spot will most likely be lost.
  • Darlow – a fair enough back-up, but that’s about it. Once Freddie Woodman is back from loan at Mansfield (no better in fairness, but an Academy product), I am likely to make him surplus to requirements.
  • Dummett – homegrown and a reasonable back-up choice, having been on the books for years. He’ll probably retain his place thanks to…
  • Lewis – the better long-term squad member, but in my view not yet ready for Premier League football. I want to keep him, but he’s likely to go out on loan this season and get in those game hours.
  • Burn – signed rather expensively after the new regime took control, but to me he doesn’t look very good, and at 29 is unlikely to improve very much. Still, his status as a new arrival might make him difficult to move on in the first instance.
  • Hayden – English and okay as a back-up DM, but little more than that.
  • Joelinton – has improved since being moved into central midfield, all the same an expensive albatross who is most likely to be rotated if he can accept those terms.
  • Longstaff – like his younger brother, I think he has a good future with us, but the key word is ‘future’ and, as with Matty, my temptation is to try and find a loan move for him. Both are homegrown, therefore valuable.
  • Shelvey – I’m quite the fan, ever since he was rated as a vastly improvable hot prospect in FM editions gone by. All that development has taken place now and ‘Jonj’ is, at best, a lower mid-table midfielder, but his time on the books, combined with his favoured place along the fans, has made him something of a cult figure. He’s one of Newcastle’s two team leaders, which adds value because only a fool would dick with the hierarchy. But he’s on borrowed time, definitely.

I’m not going to go into the merits – or lack thereof – of each player beyond the grid above, which more or less illustrates where I am with this team. The summer indicates one thing, which is a change in personnel, carried out en masse.

2 hours ago, warlock said:

@Tee2 Good to see you back in the game :thup:. And good luck with the rebuild.

Thanks warlock. I’ve been dancing around several scenarios for a few months, and this one just stuck out as the most fun. Daily postings for a few days to come, but moving much faster than my usual updates. There’s not that much need to go into intricate detail with a team like this one - in the end, it’s about the buying and selling, and (hopefully!) improving the team.