[Discussion] Separate formations for Defending-Attacking.

NicklasBlack

I realize that this is probably a common request but I would like to add my voice to it and express how important I believe this to be. It is becoming more and more common amongst modern managers to completely alter their formation when transitioning from the defending phase to the attacking one. Prevalent examples are Nagelsmann's Leipzig and Pep's City. Both of them frequently use a flat 4-4-2(or 4-4-1-1) in defence which turns into a 3-4-3 in attack.  I know that there are some ways in the game to achieve some of this. For example you can use a Half-Back to go from 4-3-3 in defence to a 3-4-3 in attack. Or you can use an asymmetric system. Unfortunately, the first way I described is very limited and the second restricts you to asymmetry.

To provide an example of what I'd love to see in the game I've uploaded a GIF .

As you can see in the gif, in this setup the Left-Back and Right-Mid perform different duties in defence, but the exact same in attack. Same goes for the Left-Mid with the Right-Striker, as well as, the Left-CB with the Right-Back.

One way to do this would be to introduce various more roles such as a Full-Back that tucks in and becomes part of a 3 (not an Inverted WB-D because that role performs like a DM).
While this is definitely something worth considering, I wouldn't say it is optimal, because it still limits you to the roles provided by the game.

The best way IMO would be a big rework which would separate the two phases and allow you to have the exact formations you want in defence and attack. I understand that this is a huge undertaking and includes all sorts of considerations (like for example ME exploitability and the creation of unbeatable/unrealistic tactics).

In any case, I would like to hear peoples' takes on this and If you have any additional suggestions it would be even better.

Ps: This video is also a brilliant showcase of Pep's Bayern defending in a 4-1-4-1 and attacking in a 3-4-3 with a diamond midfield. As far as I'm aware it is impossible to replicate faithfully in the current version of the game.

Edited by NicklasBlack
typos, addition of PS.

• 1 month later...
  • SI Staff

Thanks for taking the time to raise this here. This is something which has already been flagged as a request within the community, so has already been documented and is part of our internal database of features for consideration. Like all features raised to us, it could end up rejected, or could after extensive design and development become a part of a future FM.