*Official* Football Manager 2022 Xbox Edition & Touch - UI Feedback

We've made a lot of improvements to our Console User Interface in FM22 Xbox and FM22 Touch on Switch which we hope will improve your experience and enjoyment of the game, so we'd love to hear from all of you about how you're finding it. We want to continue improving your experience moving forward, so any constructive feedback you have for us - positive or negative - would be greatly appreciated.

Those listening carefully while playing on Xbox or Switch may also hear that we've added sound effects to our User Interface (UI). Whether you're loving the addition of more aural feedback or you wanted to head to Preferences to turn them off straight away, we want to hear about it so we can improve the audio experience in the future.

Now for the ground rules. Read these and please play nice!

• Constructive feedback is helpful. Constructive doesn't necessarily mean positive, but at least give us your reasons. Help us to help you by giving details.
  • Respect other opinions. We don't expect you to always agree but read other's posts and respect their position.

It’s terrible. UI on FM21 was much much better.

Why can’t I select all players when controlling individual training? Why do I have to go one by one when I just want to set the same training intensity for all of them?

I just can’t use de R button when negotiating, no matter how hard I try. Why can’t I just use “+” and “-“ as did in FM21 or even write the number I want as before?

I na trying to adjust the interface to my screen, but the directional just don’t work. 

And there is a lot more issues like that. The FM21 Xbox interface was just fine. This was supposed to be a controller-friendly UI but is quite the opposite. Why change it? 

There's this weird bug in the Squad screen (i.e. list of your players) where the game constantly highlights one of your players.

It seems like the fact the player is highlighted quite often blocks any other inputs (LT, Options etc.).

This happens specificly when using the controller-as-mouse input method.

Actually, I generally feel like there's something off with the controls.

Last year, in the Inbox section you could be using controller-as-mouse input method but the d-pad still allowed you to go up/down in the message list.

This year - not possible.

Even on the club selection screen - the one which lists all the clubs, media prediction, facilities etc. - you cannot use the d-pad when using contoller-mouse.

Something's off for sure.

@yakoob86 Fully agree with you on both points - I'm playing on the Switch and have noticed the squad list bug, switching between the squad and the player profiles in your squad list can be frustrating as you are always returned to the top of the squad list, rather than being returned to the player you selected on the list.

The missing d-pad stuff is also present for me, i'm using controller-mouse too. 

seems to me that it's not going down so well especially with the ones used to play fmtouch on ipad.. i am trying to sort it out, but it's difficult and certainly not straight forward and I really doubt that when I will, I will enjoy as much as the others..why not release un update for the teams from fm21 and charge £20 for it? I would have done it and I guess you would have not lost customers

On Xbox, In an online career game with others, the continue button in top right is missing the flash from FM21 to let you know others are ready

Edited by Rb93
Clarifying Xbox version

• SI Staff
On 09/11/2021 at 02:57, Fabio Araujo said:

I just can’t use de R button when negotiating, no matter how hard I try. Why can’t I just use “+” and “-“ as did in FM21 or even write the number I want as before?

We're looking into this - apologies for the inconvenience. In the meantime, if you click the left stick to enable Focus Navigation you'll be able to use the right stick to increment if you focus on the widget.

On 09/11/2021 at 02:57, Fabio Araujo said:

And there is a lot more issues like that. The FM21 Xbox interface was just fine. This was supposed to be a controller-friendly UI but is quite the opposite. Why change it? 

Have you tried using Focus Navigation rather than Cursor Mode at all? It might take a bit of getting used to if you've previously always used cursor but with the improvements we've made to it this year we're really believe it's the easier way to control the game.

On 09/11/2021 at 13:32, yakoob86 said:

Actually, I generally feel like there's something off with the controls.

Last year, in the Inbox section you could be using controller-as-mouse input method but the d-pad still allowed you to go up/down in the message list.

This year - not possible.

Even on the club selection screen - the one which lists all the clubs, media prediction, facilities etc. - you cannot use the d-pad when using contoller-mouse.

Something's off for sure.

This is intentional - having both control options available at the same time (Focus Navigation and Cursor Mode) caused too many weird edge case issues so Focus Navigation is disabled when in Cursor Mode and vice versa.

2 horas atrás, Alex Pitt disse:

We're looking into this - apologies for the inconvenience. In the meantime, if you click the left stick to enable Focus Navigation you'll be able to use the right stick to increment if you focus on the widget.

Have you tried using Focus Navigation rather than Cursor Mode at all? It might take a bit of getting used to if you've previously always used cursor but with the improvements we've made to it this year we're really believe it's the easier way to control the game.

This is intentional - having both control options available at the same time (Focus Navigation and Cursor Mode) caused too many weird edge case issues so Focus Navigation is disabled when in Cursor Mode and vice versa.

Thank you for the feedback, Alex. 

I almost never used the Focus Navigation mode on FM21 because it was not really good. I tried it again just now and yes, there is some nice improvements. Using the focus navigation mode i could also adjust the interface to my screen, and that helped a kit! 

But I still think the cursor mode was working perfectly fine on FM21 except for some minor issues, and now it’s not working so great. That’s just my humble opinion. 

As I said, I could, for instance, use the cursor to select all the players I wanted on the individual training screen and then adjust the training intensity or tive some rest for all of them at the same time, now I have to do this one by one. On the same screen I could also see the recent training points for all of them, now I have to go one by one to know how they have been training lately. I don’t know with there is still time to change this.

And last but not least, is SI considering to increase the limit of nations that can be loaded on Xbox One? If it would only go up to 10 I would be more than happy. 

Oh no. FM22 Touch navigation is absolutely terrible compared to my last FM (FM19 Touch). It took me a while to figure out development center  was my youth team, the tactics screen looks like it belongs to an FM knockoff. The only saving graces for this one are the updated squads and the data hub. 

Cursor speed is still  too fast when using a controller. Last year it started off moving at a snails pace then with a patch went too far the other way. Why cant we have a slider in the preferences for sensitivity?  Asked last year if that would be possible before the change in speed, even like 3 different presets you can choose from would be better than what we have now.

Last night I was playing via the Android Gamepass app on my Fire HD10 Plus Tablet via the Cloud whilst laying in bed, the touch controls work quite well...except the on-screen icons Microsoft has put in the top left corner for the Guide Button etc makes things a bit tricky as they are too close/cover the touch area for things like the back button.

Hey.

Not sure if this an intentional design feature or an issue with the Gui, but whenever I switch the Match engine to 2d classic mode the players name do not appear around much in the same way they do on other camera angles. 

Also, when I attempt to move players position in specific formation at half time the position which they can be changed  to do not appear in the formation screen, hence I have to essentially guess were the game allows me to place their pre determined position i.e I cannot see were I can move the Striker to Amc, I just have to guess were the pre determine option is. 

After a while I managed to get to youth team...now I have been stuck for 30 min trying to refuse an offer for a young player.. it just won't let me do it as the yes or no response are close to the touch controllers options...finished the first season, giving up many thing I would have done because, honestly it's just painful without full touch control...most boring season ever and I won title and national cup but had no fun at all.. everything was so difficult and now I have to give up because it's driving me crazy..no way to proceed to refuse an offer...and please don't say do that or do this...it just doesn't work..I have refused other offers and I know the ( bad) way it works... very poor...been playing touch for 6 years...first time I get bored after 2 days of playing..the xbox edition streamed on ipad sucks big time.. poor controller options..very not intuitive .. takes ages to do simple things...makes you want to give up doing the things you would do because honestly it's painful..what  a shame...I don't even think it's because of the pandemic...SI probably gave the exclusive right to nintendo switch cause a good 50% of the xbox edition on ipad is touch ...are you seriously telling me it was not possible to make it 100%? 

and again why not giving the options to tablets players to buy an update from fm21 for the squad? would have been 100% better than this terrible alternative 

All News Items should be updated to include the main item the item is regarding be selectable using the standard controller navigation (not having to switch over to the cursor). Now for 99% of the inbox items this is the case but there are some inbox items that dont have this. While using the cursor is fine. The more things you can do without having to switch over to the cursor the better.

A few examples of inbox items i have found which require the cursor to select what the news item is regarding are

• Competition Odds
  • Improved Deal Requests (you have the buttons to negotiate or walk away but the only way to select the player it is the cursor)
  • Transfer/Loan Requests Received (you can view and negotiate offer, but it would be nice to have the player selectable directly from the items without cursor)

On 09/11/2021 at 13:38, DeepLyingForward said:

@yakoob86 Fully agree with you on both points - I'm playing on the Switch and have noticed the squad list bug, switching between the squad and the player profiles in your squad list can be frustrating as you are always returned to the top of the squad list, rather than being returned to the player you selected on the list.

The missing d-pad stuff is also present for me, i'm using controller-mouse too. 

Hello @Desmond Richardson - i have some general feedback on FM22 Touch for the Switch. Wasn't sure to place this message in the main feedback thread or this UI one, as the 'cons' are UI related I thought it would be best placed in there.

To summarise: I believe this version of FM touch for the Switch has surpassed last years edition (which was brilliant). I am very impressed with the game and have played one full season without any crashes/errors etc, the controls feel fluid and I note that the UI controls are much better with the controller...that being said, I can't help but use a cursor to play FM, old habits die hard! Some pros/cons below:

Pros

• Ability to load more nations - having 5 nations is great and although I'm only one season in i haven't noticed any performance/speed drain on the game processing.
  • Data hub - so pleased this made it into the touch version
  • No major issues/bugs that I can see 

Cons

• Largely UI based and I hope easy to fix -
    • Returning to lists, be it squad page, scouting lists etc you are always returned to the top of the list. When reviewing player searches for transfers this is very frustrating.
    • Inability to search attributes based on positions - i think this bug/issue was present in FM21 touch, a bit frustrating to see that i can't narrow down player searches based on key role attributes
    • Lack of +/- buttons for the cursor but can see that's been recognised as a bug
  • Lack of player position maps. I have marked this down as a con but it might be user error rather than lack of functionality. I can't for the life of me find position maps - in full fat FM22 you have the option of reviewing player position maps at half time during games. This functionality was also present in FMT 21. Any reason why this isn't freely available? 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Hi,

I am playing FM 22 Touch on my NIntendo Switch Lite and I must confess that the gaming experience is not pleasant because the font/text size is too small, which makes it difficult to read and analyse the content, especially when there is a lot of text on the screen. Certain icons are also too small, which leads to wrong selections.

I wish I'd had the opportunity to know in advance that gaming on the Switch Lite's screen looks so bad... So bad that I sometimes find myself preferring to play the mobile version of FM 22 on my Iphone 13 Pro (which is much more limited game) than the Touch version of FM 22 on the Switch Lite.

I hope youcan somehow optimize the game to the Lite screen in upcoming patches/updates...

Thanks and keep up the good work.

I'm unable to change the Mentality in the Tactics screen unless I toggle the Cursor Mode on and use that. What I was wanting to do was play only using the touch screen but when I press on the mentality and try to select a different one it just hides the menu without changing the selection. 

Also a really annoying glitch on the Squad Depth screen if using the touch screen is if you view a player profile, go back to the Squad Depth and drag your finger down to scroll back up to the forwards for example it will often go back to the player profile. Really annoying. Obviously it would also be better if the Squad Depth remembered your position on the screen so if you're looking at the forwards when open a player profile it wouldn't default to the goalkeeper / defence when you go back.

(Nintendo Switch)

Edited by Symon10
Didn't specify device.

Nintendo Switch, in my save with Southampton Tella is supposed to be a starter. However he doesn't show up as part of the starting 11, nor the subs list.

I've bounced all over the squads screens, and find nothing amiss. The right boxes checked, or unchecked. 

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. 

• 1 month later...

@Desmond RichardsonAfter playing around with the PC vs Xbox vs iCloud i got one question to make, is there any chance that you guys and Microsoft can give us the chance to opt out of the Xbox Skin for the controller? My main concer right now with the xCloud version is the inability to have the interface as is on PC. I think it's much more touch friendly that the controller interface by touch we have now.

Edited by João14

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have created an account specifically to raise this bug which makes the game unplayable and has done for many months. 

Playing the xbox edition on phone with game pass, the xbox menu appears in the top left all the time, covering important in-game buttons such as the back button. The only alternative is to use a controller. Why invest time making native touch controls work on phone to have it completely ruined by such a simple thing? 

I noticed this back in November and had to avoid the game as like I said, it's unplayable. Very surprised to see its still there over 3 months later. I want to play this game but with this bug, it's just impossible. 

Screenshot_20220308-092849_Game Pass.jpg

Screenshot_20220308-092613_Game Pass.jpg

Screenshot_20220308-092235_Game Pass.jpg

Edited by Silversurfer1991

hace 12 horas, Silversurfer1991 dijo:

I have created an account specifically to raise this bug which makes the game unplayable and has done for many months. 

Playing the xbox edition on phone with game pass, the xbox menu appears in the top left all the time, covering important in-game buttons such as the back button. The only alternative is to use a controller. Why invest time making native touch controls work on phone to have it completely ruined by such a simple thing? 

I noticed this back in November and had to avoid the game as like I said, it's unplayable. Very surprised to see its still there over 3 months later. I want to play this game but with this bug, it's just impossible. 

Screenshot_20220308-092849_Game Pass.jpg

Screenshot_20220308-092613_Game Pass.jpg

Screenshot_20220308-092235_Game Pass.jpg

Same problem for me. 

i thought it would be fixed soon but...

It completely ruins the experience because it's impossible to play with this issue.

Thank god I'm not the only one! 

A big deal was made out of the fact that the only way to get the FM touch experience on phones or tablets would be via the FM Xbox edition with an Xbox game pass streaming to the device. Which sounded great, and when I first played the xbox version on my phone I was ecstatic, especially when it had full touchscreen ability. 

I understand the root cause of the issue is with the xbox app, and I've seen people have this issue with other games too, but that's mostly an aesthetic thing, as it can block the UI. As far as I'm aware, FM is the only game where its a gamebreaking issue due to FMs unique touch controls on xcloud. I'm very surprised there's so little chat online about it, considering the attention that was put on using xcloud as an alternative to FM touch. I've been leaving feedback to xbox since November but thought SI would have a vested interest in coming to a solution too. Unless there's so little chat because there is a workaround (apart from using a Bluetooth xbox controller with the phone) that I'd love to know? 

• 3 weeks later...

Eventually got round to loading this up on Xbox via game pass and didn't last long, the colour scheme is too bright the "HDR luminescent" goes from hurting my eyes to dull and unusable very quickly and the mouse pointer is far too fast. 

Are there no other skin options available?

Ive looked but can't find anyway to adjust mouse sensitivity and by looks of this thread there doesn't seem to be one, I like the pointer, but the speed is far too fast.

Have I missed some setting somewhere?

• 1 month later...