(FM21) 442 Help Please

Hello, I've been trying to get a 442 to work in Scottish League Two (managing Stranraer) but need help please.  I'm stuck in mid table, despite having a team that's above average (but not outstanding) for the league, predicted third (out of ten) and with the board wanting the playoffs (which means top four).  So I'm underachieving by all measurements.  I'm in season 2, with 8 wins, 4 defeats and 10 draws after 22 games, fewest goals conceded but only about half way for goals scored.  I clearly need to convert some of the draws into wins, but can't work out what changes to make without being too gung ho and turning the draws into defeats instead.  Results are inconsistent, as I have similar records against the top and bottom teams.   According to the team comparison, my team has the best vision, but the lowest jumping.  Nothing else is particularly good or bad, although I'm a bit above average in most attributes.

My aim is to play more direct to mirror lower league teams, and to play an attacking game in the opposition half and to win the ball back quickly.  I know the tactic is risky defensively, but I hope to win by outscoring the opposition.  My setup is

DLF(s)  AF(a)

W(a) CM(d)  CM(s)  W(a)

FB(s)   CD(d)  CD(d)  FB(s)

SK(d)

In posession: Positive/More direct passing/Low crosses (my attackers are very small)/Higher tempo

In transition: Distribute to full backs and centre backs (because my keeper was hoofing it upfield where my two small attackers were outjumped by opposition centre backs and the ball was coming straight back)/Counter/Counter press

Out of Posession: Higher DL/LOE/More urgent pressing/Force outside

The only PI is on the CM(d) to take more risks because he has the passing/vision/decisions/etc.  He should perhaps be a DLP.

Any advice is welcome.