FM22: The English Football League thread

warlock

Barnsley First Matches (21/22)

Played my first 5 matches of the season, and I can say that I´m really happy with how the squad has been playing, altough I´m curently sitting in 9th place, and I,m happy about it, the squad has been playing really good in offense, Woodrow being my key player up-front has been outstanding so far, other player that is being key for me in defense is Michal Helik, the polish has been mantaining the form he had last season and being the back-bone from my defense, but I´m yet convinced that the other 2 CB from my tactic are pulling him down a little bit.

1937043872_SkyBetChampionship_Fases.png.87fbdde80308297ce8a833898d9e8e39.png

Tactic

Currently I´m playing a 5-2-3 or a 3-4-3, altough it is my favourite tactic, I´m looking to change it to a 5-3-2, having a young squad is impacting in my midfield duo Styles-Palmer (I didn´t brought anyone because I turned of the first transfer window), them being in their early 20 doesn´t make them have a good experience in defense by far right now, conceding in every match almost from the midle with them not going back is what makes me wonder if having another more defensive minded midfielder would work out. Upfront my main trio is Oduor-Woodrow-Freiser, Oduor is playing as a Winger rn because Freiser doesn´t seems to adapt well to play that role altough he is a rigt-footed RW, so he is one on my list to sell in January, also lacking on wingers and having an overflow of strikers is my main point to change tactics.

Feel free to give any tip on the tactic :) 

1501613839_Barnsley_Overview.png.2fbee1fa97a7425ac6ea8e4742f77a4c.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Alejandro1202 said:

Played my first 5 matches of the season, and I can say that I´m really happy with how the squad has been playing, altough I´m curently sitting in 9th place, and I,m happy about it, the squad has been playing really good in offense, Woodrow being my key player up-front has been outstanding so far, other player that is being key for me in defense is Michal Helik, the polish has been mantaining the form he had last season and being the back-bone from my defense, but I´m yet convinced that the other 2 CB from my tactic are pulling him down a little bit.

1937043872_SkyBetChampionship_Fases.png.87fbdde80308297ce8a833898d9e8e39.png

Tactic

Currently I´m playing a 5-2-3 or a 3-4-3, altough it is my favourite tactic, I´m looking to change it to a 5-3-2, having a young squad is impacting in my midfield duo Styles-Palmer (I didn´t brought anyone because I turned of the first transfer window), them being in their early 20 doesn´t make them have a good experience in defense by far right now, conceding in every match almost from the midle with them not going back is what makes me wonder if having another more defensive minded midfielder would work out. Upfront my main trio is Oduor-Woodrow-Freiser, Oduor is playing as a Winger rn because Freiser doesn´t seems to adapt well to play that role altough he is a rigt-footed RW, so he is one on my list to sell in January, also lacking on wingers and having an overflow of strikers is my main point to change tactics.

1501613839_Barnsley_Overview.png.2fbee1fa97a7425ac6ea8e4742f77a4c.png

A great start with Barnsley. I only think a couple of tweaks are worth considering. You don’t have much penetration or support in the centre and you have wide centre backs who will drift wide leaving you open.

You could try having a traditional cd-defend in your back 3 and only one wide centre back.

You could also try inverting your left wing back so he can help out centrally. Your wide left centre back can then have more space to run wide.

Your wingbacks have players ahead of them meaning they may not get into more advanced positions. Consider using two inside forwards or inverted wingers or even pushing them up as pressing forwards alongside Woodrow. This will give you more through the centre and work with your club philosophy and tactical style. 

With a back 3 - you probably don’t need a defend duty for your deep lying playmaker. He can be on support as he will still hold position but will press and support higher up the field.

Finally, I suggest that if you keep one forward you should change it to ‘pressing forward’ attack. He will harass more and defend from the front but still be the focal point for the attack.

14 hours ago, warlock said:

Ooh, steady on old boy :kriss:

It's probably my one unachieved ambition in FM, an unbeaten season. Closest I've ever managed was one game short with Man Utd a couple of FMs ago - lost to Liverpool in the last 4 games of the season, if I remember correctly. But I think you're right - this FGR team should be close. Challenge accepted, anyway :cool:

On further thought... I think I managed an unbeaten season with Durham AFC last year but at that level I doubt it counts - the AI just can't compete for recruitment and squad management. And I have other unachieved ambitions in FM, not least taking a lower league club to the top of the PL and Europe. It's always that pesky first season in the Premiership... as I know you know :lol:

Aim high my friend! Yes, the PL season for a club taken up the ladder is 'a struggle' at best :kriss:

9 hours ago, Alejandro1202 said:

Tactic

Welcome, and good luck with Barnsley. A very nice start so far, for a team expected to struggle.

So, post takeover, lots of things happened. Finishing top half of the League was better than expected.

Omar Bogle came second in the league top scorer, his 20 goals being a big part of our rise up the division.

First up, the scouts went out to look for players we could get cheaply, as I didn't want to go overboard and wreck any sort of financial future by spending too much of the Chairmans money straight away. Also, despite the large amount of money that had been thrown into club coffers, we couldn't go out and buy the best out there.

We were in need of players on both sides of the back 4, as well as new creative wide players. The centre of midfield would also need attention, with several players being released who were on the fringes of the squad, as well as loan players. I'd probably have one or two loanees, but, they would need to be something very special at this level, and make a difference. 

The first new signings, ones we paid fees for, arrived on 9th June.

A young goalkeeper, who already had first team action in Scotland was my first free signing. Arriving on a 3 year deal from Falkirk, 17 year old Joe Baxter would potentially play first team football next season, at least in cup matches.

Another signing from the Scottish League, saw Scotland U21 attacking midfielder Roddy Macgregor arrive for £200k from Inverness Caledonian Thistle. He'd been a big part of their successful promotion campaign from the Championship, and moves south of the border, looking to push on and hopefully get an international call up. He has over 100 career appearances, which, for a 21 year old, is a big positive.

The third signing from Scotland, also from the Championship, saw U21 international Jamie Hamilton arrive for £500k. Comfortable with the ball at his feet, and good in the air, he is exactly the sort of defender I want, and someone who will develop massively in the future.

Next up, was to strengthen the left back position. The way we were playing needed mobile full backs, and whilst pace wasn't the be all and end all, being comfortable on the ball was just as important. A fee of £800k to Brentford for Dominic Thompson was more than enough for this, and having played in League One at Wigan, was more than familiar with the work needed.

The right back position was next, once more, looking North of the Border, where plying his trade at Ayr, former Rangers trainee Jordan Houston was found. A player with great potential, as well as having some traits that matched our style, for £100k, he was another low risk option, although, at 23 years old, we have to turn round any investment on him quickly.

A trip to Norway was required for our next signing, specifically the Western coast and Kristiansund. Noah Solskjaer has English nationality (having been born in Manchester), so wouldn't require a work permit. The defensive minded midfielder arriving for £325k, and despite his former club wanting to keep him to the end of their season in November, he wanted to get to work in Yorkshire straight away.

Given our 'first choice' goalkeeper last season, Louis Jones, had been replaced by loanee Kristoffer Klaesson, who had strengthened the defence massively, we needed to look for a replacement keeper. Jones didn't want to play for the club anymore, and, I wasn't going to stop him, however, Klaesson wasn't interested in another season in South Yorkshire, believing he could move closer to recognition at Leeds. Again, the priority was finding someone who didn't require a work permit, and could stand up to the necessities of our philosophy of being a high paced ball playing side. 

The first signing in goal, was Ryan Schofield , making the short move across from Huddersfield, for whom he made 46 appearances in League One the previous season. A great shot stopping option, who would improve with the right training behind him, he arrives for £400k, he would be backup for the next signing.

This signing is one that needed some work, as it would mean going over the wage cap in terms of what I wanted to spend on a player. However, given the nature of player, signing a current international with nearly 50 caps was a big plus. Therefore, for £350k, Bailey Peacock-Farrell arrives from Burnley. He'd spent a season at Sheffield Wednesday a the season before last, but, hadn't played a game since. At 26 years old, he is outside the parameters of the player I want to sign (U23s), however, he will be the most important cog in the team for the next 3 seasons as we look to push on for promotion and further.

Of course, as well as the paid signings, there were plenty of free transfers arriving, with a split of those who would go into the development setup (U18s and 23s), and those who would go into the First Team setup.

First to come into the setup, 22 year old forward, Ryan Longman . Having spent several seasons on loan at AFC Wimbledon, he left Brighton, and, although needing work on his technical skills, he'll be a very good player at this level.

Into the centre of midfield, Matthew Smith arrives from Arsenal. The 22 year old having spent a season at The Keepmoat in 21/22.

Arriving as a backup to previous signing, Jordan Houston, is Demeaco Duhaney. The 24 year old coming from Blackpool, where he had made few appearances. The former Manchester City youngster has the traits that we like from our full backs. :D

One player coming in that had been setup before the new chairmans arrival, was midfielder, Ben Rienstra. He had been playing at Fortuna Sittard in the Eredivisie, and at 33, would be leaving the club at the end of the season. With Tommy Rowe retiring, we would be looking for a veteran player who could support the younger team around him, and still be technically proficient enough to be a threat in League One.

2 hours ago, robterrace said:

the scouts went out to look for players we could get cheaply

A great account of your transfer business - and a few targets I might add to my own shortlist :D  Interesting choice in Rienstra, but I often overlook the importance of a bit of experience in a young squad.

1 hour ago, warlock said:

A great account of your transfer business - and a few targets I might add to my own shortlist :D  Interesting choice in Rienstra, but I often overlook the importance of a bit of experience in a young squad.

Indeed. He won't play every week, its not what I want from him, but, if I'm leading with 20 minutes left, he can come on and help shut down. Its something I've noticed a lot more this time round, if you've got an older head, the younger players don't 'panic' as much.

Its also something that the Red Bull teams use in their recruitment, plenty of young players, but never underestimate the importance of experience.

Of course, the other side of the coin is looking to develop my youth players, and that was something that I pushed on with, in terms of staff recruitment, when I took over.

Director of Football - Bradley Wright-Phillips . Perhaps the perfect personality. He is also a pretty decent DoF, and his knowledge of the US may pay dividends in the future.

Assistant Manager - Nedum Onuoha , whilst he isn't the greatest assistant, its his personality I want to make use of. 

Head of Youth Dev - Bradley Johnson , Perfectionist, with a formation and style that fits in with how I'm trying to develop the team. 

U18s Manager - Arjen Robben - Another perfectionist, who uses wing backs. Whilst he isn't great with the younger players, thats for the coaches in his setup to do, he is there for his personality.

U18s Coach - Alan Bennett - Model Citizen, something which will take effect with a few of the players that will come through.

I need to keep an eye on this, but there aren't any negative personalities in the U18s coaches.

Hopefully, the last signing of the window. Striker Callum Hendry joins on a free after leaving Stoke. The Scottish forward will be a backup to Bogle, and with decent strength and aggression and workrate, should offer something different in terms of making himself useful.

Also, a loan signing just prior to the first game, as young attacking midfielder Ben Knight joins from Manchester City. Technically, he is strong, and he is quick across the ground, so I'm expecting him (initially) to be the backup to Jon Taylor on the right wing.

On 22/11/2021 at 11:41, warlock said:

Agreed - I did about 20 games with them in beta and I'd say your thoughts are bang on - including the lack of firepower up front, although there's a couple of AMs who can double-up as strikers.

Don't forget Brandon Fleming (lurking in the u23s) who can do a good job as backup at LB.

Keane Lewis-Potter is immense.. Simply build a side around him. I've got him and training him to be AM. Fingers crossed as I've managed to turn down several bids from likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal of £40m. It helps that I have established myself in Prem League (Derby county)

A collapse around new years saw us lose momentum as tiredness set in. But we rallied in the end, and managed to make succesfull changes to the formation, ditching the 532 and moving to a 424 in the final couple of games.

IenLZKW.png

5 hours ago, Mr_Demus said:

we rallied in the end

QPR back in the top flight! Well played :thup:

1 hour ago, Spedding said:

finished top 

That's a very good season. Simpson obviously grabbing the headlines, but looks like Mayo and Magloire played their part.

Hartlepool United, 1st January 2023

The new year opens with us battling for automatic promotion from League 1. 

531607522_Screenshot2021-12-12at17_35_08.thumb.png.69af59fa5e09326423eeb5cc3e435c3c.png

January Window - Transfers
I'll begin with outgoings, and expected outgoings;

• 2nd choice Goalkeeper Jonathan Mitchell leaves for Tottenham (£10k). Similar to real life, Mitchell hasn't been able to usurp Ben Killip despite coming in with a lofty reputation. Several Football League clubs came in for him, but oddly Spurs did aswell. 
  • Jack Barmby is currently under bid from several lower league American clubs. All bids rising to £6.25k. Was a very capable backup in League 2, but hasn't quite been able to make the same impact in League 1.
  • Midfielder Gavan Holohan is currently in contract negotiations with Irish club, Dundalk. I am trying to offer him out to English clubs for a fee. Holohan was one of our starting midfielders in League 2, but has seen limited game time this year due to several signings in his position. 
  • Mark Shelton is also being moved on. Similar reasons to Holohan.
  • Luke Hendrie has been an important player for us this year, but he started the save listed as a 'Star Player' when he's been in regular rotation with our other defender.

Then incomings; 

I've not made permanent signings at this stage, as I need time to prepare what could possibly be a Championship squad next season.

• I now have an affiliation with Arsenal, and have taken advantage of this to sign Goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo, and Striker Nikolaj Moller. Okonkwo is on a rolling month-to-month loan, and will serve as Mitchell's replacement as back-up to Killip. Moller is an interesting target man option, who gives me a little more depth up top. 
  • Centre-Half Luke Mbete joins on loan from Man City. Isn't the fastest, but brings arial presence and a two-footed passing from the back. He'll serve as Hendrie's replacement, and will likely compete with Josh Pask at the heart of my back three. 
  • I've been linked with Middlesbrough Striker Josh Coburn since the start of the game. He's never managed to get out of Middlesbrough's U23 squad despite their relegation to League 1. He looks an excellent Football League striker.

Long Term Planning

• Vice-Captain Gary Liddle has announced his intention to retire at the end of the season. I've agreed a deal for him to join my coaching staff as his attributes are quite impressive for this level. 
  • I will also likely look to move Club Captain Nicky Featherstone on at the end of the year. Similar to Shelton and Holohan, he's not been able to get into my midfield considerations this year. 
  • Both of the above will leave a leadership void in the time. My first thought is to pursue two season loanee Matty Daly on an end-of-contract. While lacking captaincy attributes, he's managed to get to the top of the hierarchy with Liddle and Featherstone. Early feeling is that Richie Smallwood will take the armband next season.

I had also applied for the England job following the World Cup (because why not? :D) , but it was instead given to the man I knocked out of the Carabao Cup - Sheff Utd Manager Slavisa Jokanovic. 

Edited by Spiegel

Barnsley Mid-Season Transfers (21/22)

I finally arrived to the january transfer window, making me able to close a couple of signings and sales between the matches, but I´ll talk about them later, we have been doing pretty well since the first five matches, jumping to the 4th place in the table, altough we mantained most of the season on 2nd place, being not so consistent, make us pay the price.

275760111_SkyBetChampionship_Stages.png.50c9538cde86ec343e8a8c47ddab98fb.png

Transfers In:

• Franco Ibarra joined us a little bit after the summer transfer window closed in a free transfer after being released by Atlanta United, he was a rushed signing because Benson and Styles started suffering injuries, the 20 y/o Argentinian, he isn´t the tallest, but his short height is just a compliment for his growing technical and physical abilities, he is used as a super-sub or an starter when Styles isn´t available.
  • Claudio Osorio was signed by being scouted after a few months, he costed only 200k up-front, with 500k between installments, he isn´t the best but being 19 y/o gives him a big room for improvment, he is joining us at the end of the season.
  • Gavin Kilkenny is also a bargain signing, costing only 550k, he was transfer listed by Bournemouth and aiming at a midfield trio he will be fighting with Ibarra the third spot, with good mental and physical attributes, he could be a really good help for the defense, he was sent back to Bournemouth in loan.
  • Facundo Colidio was my star signing this window, paying 600k up-front, making it in total a price of 1M with installments, the Italian was transfer listed at Inter Milan, and in need of a good bargain he could be a good pair with Woodrow, he was send back to Inter by the rest of the season while I clean the rest of the not needed strikers.
Spoiler

1490926024_FrancoIbarra_Profile.png.44c282969521d5533f0a416700c382bb.png

Spoiler

137048872_ClaudioOsorio_Profile.png.3c3912b2a76175adb760ae34553df87e.png

Spoiler

1044405961_GavinKilkenny_Profile.png.d01747f230dc2acf3019de0ed0406b6e.png

Spoiler

683812578_FacundoColidio_Profile.png.6e1134a89063dc935431622ca3e27111.png

Transfers Out:

• Aapo Halme was sent to Swansea by a fee of 1.5M, he wasn´t playing really well and started to demand a new contract after being injured for almost 2 months, sending him out was a really good thing for the atmosphere.
  • Dominik Freiser the polish winger was sold by a fee of 275k to Cardiff, he started really well the season, but he started to decline after a few injuries, losing his place to Brittain up-front and with the change of tactics, he wasn´t required anymore.
  • On loan Jasper Moon left to Rotherham, Aiden Marsh left to Maidstone Utd, Ben Williams left to Crewe, Victor Abodeyejo to Charlton and William Hondermarck left to Bristol Rovers, all of them looking for play time.

Couple of signings for my Doncaster side prior to the closing of the transfer window.

First to come in, on loan from Benfica, attacking midfielder, Miguel Constantinescu. The 18 year old Portuguese age group international comes in really highly rated and able to play anywhere across the attacking midfield 3, and as such, provides a different option when needed.

Secondly, as a result of having a Brazilian U23 manager, this guy appeared on an analyst recommendation. He appeared in the Brazilian U20s in 2022, and appeared at Chapocoence and America FC in his home nation. For £3m, and probably seeing the end of Tom Anderson in a Doncaster shirt (due to the latters lack of pace), Tiago Coser arrives. 

6 hours ago, robterrace said:

Couple of signings for my Doncaster side prior to the closing of the transfer window.

First to come in, on loan from Benfica, attacking midfielder, Miguel Constantinescu. The 18 year old Portuguese age group international comes in really highly rated and able to play anywhere across the attacking midfield 3, and as such, provides a different option when needed.

Secondly, as a result of having a Brazilian U23 manager, this guy appeared on an analyst recommendation. He appeared in the Brazilian U20s in 2022, and appeared at Chapocoence and America FC in his home nation. For £3m, and probably seeing the end of Tom Anderson in a Doncaster shirt (due to the latters lack of pace), Tiago Coser arrives. 

Last signing of the window came on Deadline Day, with former Liverpool and Oxford central midfielder Cameron Brannagan arriving on a free transfer. He adds a bit of bite to the centre of midfield, alongside the creativity of Smith or Macgregor.

Lastly, a few Deadline day departures.

First, 17 year old midfielder Josh Riley (a newgen) departs to Leicester for a £250k fee, with an added 50% sell on clause, we got him from Boston last season.

Next, 17 year old Chakib Messaoudi (a English/Algerian newgen) also heads to the East Midlands and Nottingham Forest. This time for £100k and a 50% sell on.

The last departure of the window, is Ghanaian Eric Ayiah . The 23 year old made 6 appearances after signing last January from Monaco, and heads off to Hearts of Oak for £60k

Forest Green Rovers, December 2021

After a 100% record in August, we suffered our first wobble in the opening game of September, struggling to a 3-3 draw away to Exeter, but we followed that with three good wins - including the previously-reported shock win against West Ham in the Carabao Cup. We closed the month with another draw at home to Tranmere.

image.png.07463b06e9863d2bbfacedf7f1bc4164.png

October proceeded in similar vein - mostly wins with a couple of draws thrown in to keep things interesting. The nil-nil against Swindon was an early marker for their season - they've dogged us all the way in second place. The second draw was a close-run affair against Leyton Orient where we relied on a late, late equaliser from Taylor Allen for a share of the points. Allen is a natural winger re-training as a mezzala, and doing very well at it. We also sneaked past MK Dons on penalties to continue a money-making cup run.

image.png.e880eff7052559821487c477bbfcb731.png

November saw us suffer our first defeat of the season, happily in a competition I care nothing about - a dead-rubber against Northampton in the Pizza Pot, for which we had already qualified for the knockout stages. We also qualified for the second round of the FA Cup with a handy 3-0 win over L1 Oxford.

image.png.6e88c5689a05547d018376cc36febcab.png

So we head into a brutal month of December - 9 games in little more than 4 weeks - still alive in three cup competitions and unbeaten in the league. We sit comfortably atop the table and are beginning to open up a gap from Swindon:

image.png.441e88b599c183fbd15b9715b329cf10.png

Among this month's fixtures are the FACR2 tie away at Wycombe, and the quarter-final of the Carabao Cup away to Brentford. I'm quietly confident about the Chairboys, but a win against the Bees would be a miracle. TV money and a share of the gate receipts will certainly compensate :lol:

Edited by warlock

2 hours ago, warlock said:

Forest Green Rovers, December 2021

Among this month's fixtures are the FACR2 tie away at Wycombe, and the quarter-final of the Carabao Cup away to Brentford. I'm quietly confident about the Chairboys, but a win against the Bees would be a miracle. TV money and a share of the gate receipts will certainly compensate :lol:

We played Brentford in the Carabao and lost to a 90th minute winner. They didn't feel particularly impressive tbh. 

While Norwich played us last season and we couldn't get near them!

10 minutes ago, Spiegel said:

We played Brentford in the Carabao and lost to a 90th minute winner

Irritating :rolleyes: :)

Just lost the Wycombe match. They scored with their only shot on goal in the first half. We equalised, then they bagged a winner. I'd honestly argue we were the better side, but my strikers are struggling at the moment. I also need a GK upgrade. Conceding to just about every SoT is becoming a common theme - not a problem when we're scoring 2 or 3 per game, but... :onmehead:

Forest Green Rovers, February 2022

Well, I thought the schedule in December might be a problem, and so it proved:

image.png.9c81b1de6a7df38c0e6e5c7695eb1244.png

Multiple defeats in multiple competitions. I don't know whether it was down to a struggle for fitness, or if cup losses hit our confidence in the following league games but we lost our undefeated league record immediately after the loss at Wycombe, and then having recovered some form, repeated the pattern with a league loss at Newport immediately after a spanking at the hands of Brentford.

image.png.5bb1c57b3e271f980c0c5e2ed6ced76e.png

January started better, ironically including a measure of revenge against Wycombe in the EFL Trophy, but we suffered a galling loss against Northampton - after taking the lead with the fastest goal in L1 this season when Flynn Clarke scored after 15 seconds, we simply switched off and allowed them to put two past us.

The transfer window saw some activity, not all of it welcome. Fourth-choice CB Jordan Moore-Taylor complained about playing time but never played particularly well, so was offered out and eventually went to Wycombe for £13k. It was a similar story with backup GK Luke McGee, who departed for Luton for £25k. A couple of others who didn't feature in my plans were also allowed to leave on free transfers. The unwelcome deal involved one of my best players, Ebou Adams. Despite multiple attempts since the start of the season he refused to sign a new deal and was snapped up by Hibs on a free that will see him head north of the border in June.

Two loans were agreed to cover some of the losses. Teddy Sharman-Lowe, an 18-year-old GK, came in from Chelsea to replace McGee. And to replace Moore-Taylor in defence I turned to a long-standing personal favourite, Mark McGuiness from Cardiff. I try not to sign the same players again and again but I make an exception for the former Arsenal youngster, who I rate as one of the best CBs in lower league football.

Despite suffering 3 losses in short order, we have managed to increase our lead at the top of the table, where the only real change has seen Swindon fall away, to be replaced by Salford, but we now enjoy a 13pt margin. With 51 goals scored we lead the league in attack, but Jake Young remains our top scorer with just 10 league goals from 21 starts, while Jamille Matt has just 7 from the same number of games. Neither is in danger of setting any records, but when they don't play we struggle.

image.png.550159f49894f1b8b749656fa7ed8ba2.png

swindon season 5

slight improvement on the last season finished 13th. on goal difference.

7c0bade93543dcec6152495d880975d9.png
https://gyazo.com/7c0bade93543dcec6152495d880975d9

a tale of two halves upto february it looked like possibility relegation battle.

dda9872a4e08a8666c29501d8a071d1a.png

e6e11cbb2e2f430e3b18bd4aaffca33d.png

then 1 loss in 17 meant we ended comfortably away from relegation

1a6687753cbdd3165ddc9e7d6f7bfdb5.png

9d1f2c242ee191d6c2914cbd7e3bdff7.png

ipswitch got in a huff about simpson not being played as a target forward and recalled simpson in january.

Quick Update on Transfer Window

The Winter Transfer Window is closed and I only made 3 more signings, 2 for the next season and a loan to replace Moon, also the day after the transfer window closed, I sold Carlton Morris to Nott. Forest for 3.2M straight, so 1 less Striker to worry about for next season.

Spoiler

1710744656_MarcosVinicios_Profile.png.947810214d6a137c6aa88f79ed49f152.png

Spoiler

1921861589_RadekVtek_Profile.png.541a7e7993f49ff504043eaa390b7081.png

Liverpool have just recalled Jake Cain because he's not playing as an advanced playmaker. I've made another loan offer and they've accepted. 

This means he misses our Pizza Cup Quarter Final against Wigan. 

Nice one Jurgen.

Edited by Spiegel

Just finished the season!

EDIT: Chairman Raj Singh has just retired and we've been taken over by a regen - Paul Grundy. The news was suggesting that he'd replace me as manager, but he hasn't done so yet. 
Singh gave me a transfer budget of £1mill for the Championship, but this guy's increased it to £3.5mill - happy days!

Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 18.41.39.png

Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 18.41.46.png

Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 18.41.54.png

Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 18.42.00.png

Edited by Spiegel

Forest Green Rovers, May 2022

After an invincible start to the season, our form went off the rails a little in December but we recovered well, with just a single defeat in January. I was hoping we could carry that better form in February, and we did:

image.png.ba012e51f18b99c35b46db5a6cce5b9b.png

Undefeated in five league games and, even better, three clean sheets and just two goals conceded. It looked as though our mid-winter wobble was firmly behind us. But then...

image.png.d2dc54db04c164a17123d0fc3f39cd9f.png

A terrible month of March, with our form all over the place. The loss to Salford was excusable - they were the form team in 2nd spot, and an away game was always going to be tough. But putting 4 past Bradford before conceding 3 unanswered against Orient was simply baffling. To end the month with two away draws felt like a major achievement. Which led to April and the end-of-season run...

image.png.8e30d47414b9148ee438ad807914f10f.png

Rather too many draws - including a ridiculous 4-4 against a relegation-battling Harrogate that required a 92nd minute equaliser to grab a point - but it was enough to secure not just automatic promotion but, eventually, the title.

image.png.f9c06a6ab5e933722a2666bfa2de9dc1.png

The final player stats are an accurate reflection of our season - Jake Young remained top scorer for us throughout, never prolific but reliable. Otherwise, we spread the goals throughout the squad. Cadden was the outstanding player all year and if he doesn't win a league award I'll be calling for a stewards' inquiry. I'm far from happy with our red card record - I can't remember 3 dismissals for my players for many a year in FM.

Ahead of the transfer window I have a generous £1.6m transfer budget, which I might need to spend quickly because I expect the board to snaffle most of that by the official end of the season. And we need quite a few players - several contracts are expiring and won't be renewed and as noted earlier, my best CM Adams is joining Hibs on a free transfer. I'm happy to give an ageing Jamille Matt another year, and for Young to continue his development, but we'll definitely need two new strikers to provide cover and competition. My most pressing need is for a first-choice GK - Luke Thomas has been hot and cold all season and can't be relied upon. In better news, Cadden and Edwards have renewed their contracts, and CB McGuinness will be with us for another season on loan. So there's quality throughout the First 11, but as things stand we're looking at a senior squad of just 13 or 14 players. Bring on the reinforcements!

56 minutes ago, warlock said:

And a most excellent season, too :applause:

Thanks man! 

Just started my Championship season. Squad is tiny compared to my League 1 squad as I'm having real issues attracting players - even loans!
Can't even get the guys I had on loan last year as their clubs want them to play with better players. :(

30 minutes ago, warlock said:

The final player stats are an accurate reflection of our season - Jake Young remained top scorer for us throughout, never prolific but reliable. Otherwise, we spread the goals throughout the squad. Cadden was the outstanding player all year and if he doesn't win a league award I'll be calling for a stewards' inquiry. I'm far from happy with our red card record - I can't remember 3 dismissals for my players for many a year in FM.

Ahead of the transfer window I have a generous £1.6m transfer budget, which I might need to spend quickly because I expect the board to snaffle most of that by the official end of the season. And we need quite a few players - several contracts are expiring and won't be renewed and as noted earlier, my best CM Adams is joining Hibs on a free transfer. I'm happy to give an ageing Jamille Matt another year, and for Young to continue his development, but we'll definitely need two new strikers to provide cover and competition. My most pressing need is for a first-choice GK - Luke Thomas has been hot and cold all season and can't be relied upon. In better news, Cadden and Edwards have renewed their contracts, and CB McGuinness will be with us for another season on loan. So there's quality throughout the First 11, but as things stand we're looking at a senior squad of just 13 or 14 players. Bring on the reinforcements!

You've had a cracking season there. If you're doing that well in League 2, you'll be fine in League 1. AI Forest Green finished 8th in League 1 on my save with most of the original squad. 

I'm trying to poach Cadden, but he doesn't think we're strong enough! Did get McGuiness on loan last year, and will likely move for him again this year - solid backup!

Great update @warlockit will be great to see what you can do with FGR in League 1. A few positions to upgrade but £1.6 million is a very generous transfer budget. You will be able to pick up good quality free agents assuming club reputation is reasonable, it won't cost much to add in players who can cope with that level. How is Udoka? I've got him on the radar for Plymouth, but his value puts him way out of my budget for season 1.

@SpiegelVery impressive to do that with Hartlepool, well done. It's not going to be easy to constantly upgrade your players, but a season of consolidation would be a fine achievement in itself

1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

How is Udoka?

He's a gem. Very reliable, great passing. If he has a weakness it's his heading - not the best jumping reach. But he's equally good at RB or CB, and looks like a natural WCB if you play with a back-3. There's been quite a few offers for him from the likes of Portsmouth but he's always happy to stay :thup:

Hartlepool United - September 2023, Championship

Not half bad, this Championship stuff. :D

1078083839_Screenshot2021-12-20at19_12_28.thumb.png.0d0c3a1260c0cb39cf4e6b0331fbb286.png

I don't expect this for the full season, but the quicker we can get to the golden 50 point mark, the better!

We were unlucky against Wolves aswell tbf. They're running a very decent team with Neves, Cellabos, Isco and Traore the standouts. It was silly errors that cost us the game rather than them dominating.

Transfers

Several changes to the squad. Outgoings first. 

Captain Nicky Featherstone leaves as a free agent. Still a decent VNL/League 2 player, but the improvements in the squad meant he was a backup at best. 
Vice Captain Gary Liddle retires and joins the backroom staff. Was a key player for me in League 2, but only made a handful of appearances in League 1 due to improvements in the squad. He'd a really promising coach so joins the backroom staff.
While David Ferguson had a solid season for me last year (averaging 7.16 in League 1) It was a clear decline from his League 2 Player of the Year run, however and I wasn't convinced whether he'd be able to establish himself in the Championship. Wanted silly wages to renew his contract, so I made the call to let him go. He joins Morecambe in League 2. 
League 2 talisman Mike Fondop couldn't make the step up to League 1. He also leaves on a free.

Richie Smallwood and Jamie Sterry take the Captain and Vice Captain roles, respectively.

Then incomings. 

A new affiliate deal with City was put in place with the hope of re-signing last season's star defender Luke Mbete. It unfortunately wasn't to be as they want him to play with better players. Instead, I've come away with left back Juan Larios and goalkeeper Mike van Sas. Both are 'okay' backup players for positions I needed. 

Striker Liam Cullen joins from Swansea for £180k. A full Wales international with a good all round game, he'll compete with Richards to start with Ladipo up top. 

One former loanee I did manage to pick up was Matty Daly from Huddersfield for £300k. My starting Mezzala for the last two seasons, made sense to bring him back.

Oliver Rathbone is an interesting little player (literally! 5ft 5!). Tough Tackling, with tremendous work-rate and stamina. He'll compete with Smallwood as the Box to Box player in my three. £235k to bring him in from Rotherham. 

Mark McGuinness returns on loan from Cardiff. He'll likely keep his role from last year as Josh Pask's backup. 

Defender Dan Happe joins from relegated Leyton Orient. A left footed defender who is capable on the ball. He serves as Luke Mbete's replacement and will compete with Kenlock as the left centre back. £135k

I'm hoping to pull of a last minute deal to get Nicky Cadden - Forest Green have accepted a £400k offer. View will be that he takes Ferguson's LWB spot.

EDIT: Managed to sign Cadden, playing like a prime Roberto Carlos on his debut!

1583785405_Screenshot2021-12-20at20_01_24.thumb.png.7d1235194d1e2b735907056ab0798587.png

Edited by Spiegel

Barnsley: End of the Season (21/22)

So the season finally ended in a hig note for us, reaching the Play-Off semifinal when the expectetion was just only to be a mid-table team, altough we could had an automatic promotion, the last few matches of the season were a rough patch of losses and ties, leaving us at the end on the 5th place of the table, making us to face Bournemouth on the play-offs.

1389215431_Barnsley_Matches.png.90bab83729b8252ae0c053cb7646b103.png1045418673_Barnsley_Matches-2.png.31e65eef6d3ab7e0b77d17fa1e16151a.png

League Table:

645587595_SkyBetChampionship_Stages.png.942c66ae171ce970e3150c814566a45f.png

188629199_SkyBetChampionship_Stages-2.png.9d7efd70c8e9f00a2dfa23661fd30d75.png

Final Players stats:

Michal Helik and Clarke Oduor were the best players we had this season, Helik was superb mostly all of the season, but the last matches he hit a rough patch and lost his starter spot, but with a 7,34 AVG rating made him top 3 on AVG rating of all the league and Oduor was our top scorer with 12 goals, making me dissapointed on my pure strikers, Oduor played as a Winger all the season, so surpassing all my strikers gives me flags about my tactic and what to change, also my only capable striker was Woodrow so I´m hoping to get rid off Oulare and Leya Iseka this next transfer window, altough they played well, most of the season they were Injured or playing very poorly, so if I can win any money with them, it would be a very good deal.

859775343_AlejandroAguilar_Home.png.aaef8e33bff7e20da365369426fe9b8a.png

Plans for next season:

The board gave me the next season goals, they want me to get a top-half finish this time, so this gives me a good amount of time to work with my squad, not forcing me to enter the play-offs directly, they gave me a MAGNIFICENT AND SUPERB transfer budget of only 5 MILLION!!, but it is mostly 4 million now, because I used 1 million on the buy clause of Remy Vita from Bayern to stay here, so I´m aiming to sell some unwanted players to raise funds and use that little money to bring quality players onto the club.

List of players who are going to be transfered:

• Obbi Oulare: He had 2 long injuries in a go, so he played very poorly some of the matches, but he managed to get 7 goals when he came back and started to play very well, unfortunately he didn´t seem to get along with Woodrow on a 2 striker formation and I wasn´t very happy on how he played so I´m aiming on he leaving this transfer window.
  • Aaron Leya Iseka: Altough he wasn´t injured, he played very poorly the first half of the season, however when he started to play due injuries he did it decent, but started to complain about playing time and wanting a new enourmous contract so that was the moment I told him he was going to be sent to the 5th division of Belarus.
  • Devant Cole: He just sucked the time I played him, did decent a copule of matches as an IF but he really played very bad the rest of the time, so if I get a penny for him it would be a win-win situation.

These players are being scouted by top flight teams of Germany, Spain, England and USA:

• Callum Styles
  • Michal Helik
  • Clarke Oduor
  • Brad Collins
  • Romal Palmer
  • Toby Sibbick

So for this new season I´m aiming to change my tactic, still playing 5 at the back as it is my philosophy on all my teams, so I will be spending my money on bringing a new CB and RW, so if you have any good and cheap reccomendation I´´ll accept them very gladly.

9 hours ago, Alejandro1202 said:

the season finally ended in a high note for us

The playoffs is a good achievement, but you have to wonder about the 'might-have-been' if not for March and April. But plenty of reasons to be confident going into season 2 (provided, of course, you can hang on to your star players). Good luck :thup:

hace 6 horas, warlock dijo:

The playoffs is a good achievement, but you have to wonder about the 'might-have-been' if not for March and April. But plenty of reasons to be confident going into season 2 (provided, of course, you can hang on to your star players). Good luck :thup:

Yeah, that poor run of form ended all our possibilities of an automatic promotion, now headed to the next season I hope i can hang onto my key players, is going to be difficult but I´m hoping on keeping them.

Hartlepool United - October 2023, Championship

Not as good a month this time, but we still find ourselves 4th in the Championship.

678179565_Screenshot2021-12-21at22_47_24.thumb.png.7fa7023a89b49003f42125ec7d5e5661.png

Games against Stoke, Reading, Derby, Norwich and Portsmouth coming thick and fast and it's not quite giving us time to recover. Promising we're getting on the scoresheet in most games though.

Squad currently looking like this; 

1245367333_Screenshot2021-12-21at22_50_59.thumb.png.d04443bfcd79b7c88f7026986e0dab42.png

23 hours ago, warlock said:

He's something special, isn't he?

Cadden's been tremendous. 4 assists in five games now, and is comfortably my best player ratings wise. I do feel I need to manage his game time a bit as he's knackering himself every game bombing up and down that flank.

Richards and Ladipo are continuing to score at his level, which is a great sign. Cullen hasn't quite caught on the way I thought he would, but he's getting assists in has generally good link up play. 

Keen to see Dan Happe return, as he arrived with a broken toe. He'll ease the load on Cadden as it'll allow me to rotate Kenlock as a LWB option. 

I've upset Man City a bit as I've not been using their loanees. Agreed to send van Sas back in January so I'll need to find someone else to compete with Killip. 

Edited by Spiegel