Promotion to the Premier League 2-3 seasons early.

Truth is, I would have liked to have hung out in the Championship for a couple of seasons to work on developing some of my young players, to improve the club infrastructure and the staff team however luck would have it we actually won the league. It wasn't comfortable but it certainly was unexpected. 

1.thumb.png.df6529bb017aac432307540158b69027.png

Especially when you consider our owners had a tight fist wrapped around the wage budget compared to the other teams in our league.

2.thumb.png.3d03c6463155dd2d5f9816ef22463787.png

We grouped together though, played a real team/unit and won promotion. Our 4th in 4 seasons.

Tactically, we have played consistently with a 4-2-3-1 with one simple aim: don't overplay, wait for the right moment and hit on the counter.

3.thumb.png.5e1393e13ba5bfd6c55c64196585abcd.png

And I'll be honest -- it worked really, really well. My striker Paul Mullin in particular enjoyed running onto balls played over the top. 156 goals in 190 apps but more offside decisions against than Timo Werner.

4.png.d29d585fbdbd8de5d9396bfed1b03523.png

Anyway, we go into our first season in the Premier League vastly unprepared. We have tried to do some good business in the transfer window (£30m spends) but the truth is, next season is going to be a dogfight. You only have to look at this comparison screen to see how bad my midfield is compared to the rest of the league.

5.thumb.png.7fc4370af4e47fb01d60dc99f423a687.png

Anyway, we can only try. I don't want to move too far away from the style that's been so successful for us up to now.

However I do appreciate that starting with a 4-2-3-1 could be a huge error so I've moved to a 5-3-2 which I think will suit us better as underdogs (And also because I hate how nerfed the IF role is)

6.thumb.png.553b3708ab728e72795a1027697d8789.png

We've scrapped the 'Higher Line of Engagement' in favour of 'Higher Defensive Line' simply because our defenders have decent Pace, Anticipation and Positioning.

And our attacking players do not really have great work rate and decisions at this level so I think it is the right play.

Everything else stays the same.

But I want to try and enjoy this season. I do not want to lose every away game 5-0 and wondered if any of you, who have overachieved, has any tips playing in a league where you simply do not belong?

I have yet to play a game -- I just wanted to gather opinions, hints, tips and feedback before I do.

Edited by ashlfcowen

The performance of my team continues to surprise me.

7.thumb.png.18451ede96ae463e56d8a6e9ced1517e.png

I mean, there have been a handful of games where I thought we could have done ... better but c'mon a 2-1 win away at the Bridge? Coorrrr.

The tactic hasn't evolved much since the first update. 

9.thumb.png.41b2e6833afec519e81030b9008d0b34.png

Notable changes:

I removed the 'narrow' shout and asked my players to overlap because I felt with 3 CMs, asking the team to bunch up even more was stifling our wing play.

I wanted my team to re-group when we lost possession simply because I think that's a better idea when we are playing against teams who are just simply way better than us...

I removed the high-line because we were getting punished with balls over the top.

There's still a few things I'm trying to work on here. This is my team as it's full strength and as you can see...the only output I'm really getting is from Ethyan and Cirjan from both goals and assists.

The focus now is trying to get more out of my Wing Backs and almost from my BBM.

Is the key to better average ratings simply trying to be more positive with my approach against teams I think I can beat?!

10.thumb.png.7eca825741a2263c2a7a9639dc16554d.png

• 3 weeks later...

Great save!

Seems like you don't need advice but if you do get into a relegation battle, I'd focus on getting max points vs the bottom of the table and getting the occasional draw vs the better teams.  Usually, 35+ will keep you up.

Don't know your players, but to me, the GK is most important when playing superior opposition because he can singlehandedly make the difference between 1-point or losing 2-1 or 1-0 to a mid-table team.  Next most important:  CB and DM. 

I've had success cross training a 4-2-3-1 into a 4-2-3-1 2DM.  Makes the transition game difficult but so much more solid in back.

I know that it sometimes fails and most players hate it but:  in your circumstance, I like to train a defensive, possession tactic:  low-block, congested, pressing or mid-block, stay-on-feet, passive tactic to try to hold draws against far superior teams, usually employed at 80+ when my team tires.  Also, have set piece routines, attack and defend, which are safer.  Yes, opponents will sometimes pile on the pressure and score.