Player tutoring in FM22

Honestly I've given up with it since they changed it. I used to farm people for personalities, give them 1k a week with 425k a week after 5 games (and of course they would play exactly 0 games for me) which whilst gamey was very satisfying. Now it's "realistic" and it's anyone's guess how mentoring might go. All of a sudden players with bad personalities become leaders in the dynamics section and then their personalities become endemic throughout the team. Determination can change through squad level determination or random events and suddenly a perfect mentor can become a candidate for the transfer list.

Mentoring is a lottery.

Edited by HotPizza87

2 minutes ago, HotPizza87 said:

Honestly I've given up with it since they changed it. I used to farm people for personalities, give them 1k a week with 425k a week after 5 games (and of course they would play exactly 0 games for me) which whilst gamey was very satisfying. Now it's "realistic" and it's anyone's guess how mentoring might go. All of a sudden players with bad personalities become leaders in the dynamics section and then their personalities become endemic throughout the team. Determination can change through squad level determination or random events and suddenly a perfect mentor can become 

Mentoring is a lottery.

It's not so bad. Most of the players who end up high in influence are the ones with high ability, or the ones you select as Captain and Vice Captain. Just need to ensure they have a decent personality before joining, and be aware that some personality types do have certain potential hidden pitfalls. Often those pitfalls can be seen through scouting, through their media handling skills. Outspoken, volatile, short tempered, and confrontational are things a manager typically wants to steer clear of, particularly in a Captain.

Once pulled a "Resolute" CD from the free agents pool, whilst in a lower league. Great leadership, and also used to play for the club. Great skills. Perfect fit, so I thought. Why did they get rid of him? Select him as a Captain. First game of the season arrives, and I tell the boys to go win us the game. Not long into the match, I notice the players becoming unusually anxious. Captain is "frustrated". Not long after, the opposition scores a goal and the Captain becomes "enraged", then everyone starts freaking out. People were fluctuating emotions like crazy. Anxious, nervous, and some I can't even remember. Pretty sure "desperate" was in the mix in some fashion, though I've never seen it since. It was kind of intense, and I was a little shocked. Next few months to the transfer window was entirely team talks on how there were no expectations on them, that they should go out and have fun and pick flowers if they want to. Anything to keep this nutter from going berserk again. Ended up not getting rid of him, though. Turns out, all the nice happy talk and reduced expectations must have increased his temperament and pressure, because he became more or less normal.. and eventually a great captain for the team.

So, yeah.. learned my lesson there. Need to check media handling. And also learned that what you say to your players can influence their personality. This can go for staff as well. You might like that "Fairly Professional" Head of Youth Development, but just wait until he starts popping out lunatics because he has a temperament of 2. I don't think that in particular can be solved by kittens in the boardroom, though.

Determination is obviously the easy one to spot, and potentially the easiest to resolve. While important, I'm not sure losing a point here or there in mentoring is a serious issue. You can always schedule a friendly, play everyone in the wrong spot, then fine them for poor performance to raise either determination or work rate (or both) by one. Too cheesy for me, but I bet you can probably schedule 20 friendlies (getting some good money in doing so), fining players 2 weeks wages a go.. end up not paying them for almost an entire season and have a squad of 20 determination 20 work rate guys.

3 hours ago, HotPizza87 said:

Honestly I've given up with it since they changed it. I used to farm people for personalities, give them 1k a week with 425k a week after 5 games (and of course they would play exactly 0 games for me) which whilst gamey was very satisfying. Now it's "realistic" and it's anyone's guess how mentoring might go. All of a sudden players with bad personalities become leaders in the dynamics section and then their personalities become endemic throughout the team. Determination can change through squad level determination or random events and suddenly a perfect mentor can become 

Mentoring is a lottery.

This thread from FM20 shows that it is possible to utilise mentoring and acheive desirable results. Obviously it's not as easy to game personality changes as it used to be with tutoring, but I personally didn't like that you could just sign a bunch of guys who would never play to just churn out a bunch of model professionals. I do also think the system has changed slightly since FM20, but it should still work in principle.