4-3-3 DM Wide Defensive Problems

I don't really have time to give you an in depth analysis but right off the batt I'd be worried about the lack of penetration into the box. Your DLF drops deep and follows play into the box. Your IW(s) will attempt cut in and also follow play into the box. The Mezzalla will be attack a very similar area to your IW(s) but, again, won't be attacking the box. The IF(a) will attack the box but that's it.

I'm also unsure of the balance you've got in your spine. A HB and a BPD seems a little off to me. The HB drops in between the centre backs to dictate play but the BPD wants to bring the ball out of the back. Ahead of the HB and the BPD are an AP(s) and a MEZ(a) who will be moving away from them. There's a lot of emphasis on the WB's and the BPD to carry the ball.

As to your defensive woes... You're playing a high line so there's naturally space behind. You are playing WB(s) so they're ahead of the defensive line. The HB is vacating the midfield when your team has the ball and dropping between the centre backs. The AP & MEZ are getting forward which means that if you lose the ball you have zero midfield. The defenders will either need to drop very quickly or push up and engage. You've selected More Urgent pressing so I'm going to assume that your defenders leave their defensive shape to win the ball, leaving even more space behind you.

I don't know if I'd use a BPD AND a HB. I also wouldn't have the two midfielders ahead of him be creative players who roam. So, yeh, basically, when you lose the ball you have no midfield, your defenders are instructed to leave their shape and you're playing a higher line. You are definitely going to get attacked behind your defensive line.

If your problem is just balls over the top, lower your engagement lines one spot. And one of the 2 midfielders needs to be a little more defensive minded than an AP-Su or Mez-At.

You need an overhaul in the attacking phase also, but that's not your question.

Edited by Sharkn20

I don't really have time to give you an in depth analysis but right off the batt I'd be worried about the lack of penetration into the box. Your DLF drops deep and follows play into the box. Your IW(s) will attempt cut in and also follow play into the box. The Mezzalla will be attack a very similar area to your IW(s) but, again, won't be attacking the box. The IF(a) will attack the box but that's it.

I'm also unsure of the balance you've got in your spine. A HB and a BPD seems a little off to me. The HB drops in between the centre backs to dictate play but the BPD wants to bring the ball out of the back. Ahead of the HB and the BPD are an AP(s) and a MEZ(a) who will be moving away from them. There's a lot of emphasis on the WB's and the BPD to carry the ball.

As to your defensive woes... You're playing a high line so there's naturally space behind. You are playing WB(s) so they're ahead of the defensive line. The HB is vacating the midfield when your team has the ball and dropping between the centre backs. The AP & MEZ are getting forward which means that if you lose the ball you have zero midfield. The defenders will either need to drop very quickly or push up and engage. You've selected More Urgent pressing so I'm going to assume that your defenders leave their defensive shape to win the ball, leaving even more space behind you.

I don't know if I'd use a BPD AND a HB. I also wouldn't have the two midfielders ahead of him be creative players who roam. So, yeh, basically, when you lose the ball you have no midfield, your defenders are instructed to leave their shape and you're playing a higher line. You are definitely going to get attacked behind your defensive line.

So in your opinion i should go for 2 center back instead of using a BPD?

Switch the AP for a CM for example? but isnt it going to be less possession football based?

A MEZ isnt a good option here too?

If your problem is just balls over the top, lower your engagement lines one spot. And one of the 2 midfielders needs to be a little more defensive minded than an AP-Su or Mez-At.

You need an overhaul in the attacking phase also, but that's not your question.

Use a lower lines isnt less possession oriented?

About attacking phase if u have any advice i would be glad to hear, i want to learn.

45 minutes ago, patrick.jane said:

Use a lower lines isnt less possession oriented?

About attacking phase if u have any advice i would be glad to hear, i want to learn.

Not really, the teams in FM are classified in 2 groups, either pass the ball non stop in the back line trying to waste as much time as possible. Or attack your team and try to win the game.

So with teams that are setup low without attacking, then you have that high press to make them hoof the ball and regain possession.

But the other group of teams, you can still have standard lines of engagement as they are going to fall into them. And you can then press to get the ball back.

In the offensive side, I always like to have 4 ways of scoring every possession.

* Cross

* Run outside - inside 

* Through pass

* Long Shots

For that you need someone good at crossing from the byline (Winger)

Someone good at cutting in (IF-At)

Through passes (AP-At or equivalent + P-At / AF-At)

Long shots (Marauding midfielder at the edge of the box BBM - Su or equivalent)

They way you are setup, you are accumulating too many people in the middle with very little variety in how to get through a low block or defensive sound team.

Edited by Sharkn20