Rolling Tactics

I have always struggled on FM and im sure it because i just use plug and play tactics. 

I build my own diamond formation with Inter. That worked well.

I then found teams played a 352 against me. So i used a 4222 against that.

My question. Do you play a shape, against certain formations? Ive found success below - 

433 - play a 4312

352 - play a 424

4231 - play diamond

3 hours ago, Triggerusa39 said:

I have always struggled on FM and im sure it because i just use plug and play tactics. 

My question. Do you play a shape, against certain formations? Ive found success below - 

433 - play a 4312

352 - play a 424

4231 - play diamond

Generally no, but im some circumstances I will.

I like to go with a back three if im facing a formation with a two centre forwards, or two centre forwards with an AM behind them.

Its more a case of tweaking the existing formation with instructions and roles though in my case.

Itll also be very team dependent and what my players can do. If my primary goal is stopping the opposition because most weeks the opposition is better than me, thats different to being favourite to win 80% of the time and having to be wary of their threat even though im dominating the game.

3 hours ago, Lesterfan_Cambiasso said:

I like to go with a back three if im facing a formation with a two centre forwards, or two centre forwards with an AM behind them.

Its more a case of tweaking the existing formation with instructions and roles though in my case.

Itll also be very team dependent and what my players can do. If my primary goal is stopping the opposition because most weeks the opposition is better than me, thats different to being favourite to win 80% of the time and having to be wary of their threat even though im dominating the game.

Ok, thanks, ill tinker with a back 3

Lately, I have had a flat 4-3-3 with wingers as a base. If the opposition plays with an AMC, I will drop the middle CM to the DMC slot and play a 4-3-3 DM Wide. However, if the opposition doesn't have an AMC, I will move my middle CM up to AMC and, effectively, play a 4-2-3-1. 

On 03/12/2021 at 15:23, Lesterfan_Cambiasso said:

On 03/12/2021 at 15:23, Lesterfan_Cambiasso said:

Would a back 4, 2 centre backs with a half back in front be considered? 

On 03/12/2021 at 19:20, Triggerusa39 said:

433 - play a 4312

352 - play a 424

4231 - play diamond

You don't need to change tactics to combat certain shapes. You should be able to play your same tactic in most cases and then just account for the challenges the other tactic poses by making changes to roles and duties and your team instructions.