11 Super Leagues Across Europe - European Competition won't work - VERY STUCK

legendof88

I am having some issues with my FM 2022 database. I have created a database that has replaced all the leagues in Europe with 11 super leagues.

All the super leagues work correctly, as do the cups. The only thing that does not work is the European Competitions.

The database consists of 12 files (one for each super league and one for the European competition) they have all been created using the same data and within the basic rules.

The European competitions when you first start the game work as they are structured too in terms of format, however the issue is that they do not pull the teams through correctly, they take them all from 1 league rather than 11. 

By the second season the competitions do not run at all.

So can anyone help to what the issue maybe and some potential fixes? Or what could be done in the advanced rules to fix this?

How have you set up the European competition?

Was it created from the same base file as the others, ie. are the superleagues present in the database used for the European competitions (with identical information and indentifiers to their own files)?

What are the nationalities of the teams involved? The standard continental qualifying system won't work for teams of the wrong nationality so eg. if you have a Scottish team in a British superleague based in England they'd be ineligible for European competition unless they're marked as being an English continental team. I'm not sure if that would be an issue or not if you use "Get best teams" in the competition teams section instead, I haven't ever tested it.

I will post a link to the edited file tomorrow as I am away from my computer today.

Yes, All the files used the same base file!

As I said there’s 11 super leagues, each with their own created nation, for example Anglo Celtic with all the home nations. But internationally Scotland, Ireland and England etc are still as before. So the new nations are not world governing members, therefore non playable, but in the European Competition rules all these new super nations are added so it should any be taking from 11 league structures. 

I will try the advanced rules, but still not sure the issue it might be because these are new nations!

Yeah, as I mentioned above all the teams have the wrong "Continental Cup Nation" set. Teams from a different nation are ineligible to qualify through that country's league. eg. for your Soviet Championship only teams with "Continental Cup Nation = U.S.S.R." could actually qualify from that league for continental competitions. It's the same as in the MLS, Canadian teams can't qualify for North American competitions via the MLS because their continental cup nation is set to Canada, they can only qualify from the Canadian Championship instead.

Secondly, there are probably conflicts with how you've set up qualification. As in you've set teams to qualify for multiple competitions, which I expect isn't possible (not 100% sure on that though). It should go from top to bottom order and any teams already qualified previously are ineligible from lower qualifications. So eg. your European Champions Cup winner qualifies for the European Super Cup, that means they're not able to qualify for the Champions Cup any more so that's 1 team missing already. You've then got the best team in each league to qualify for the European Champions Cup which with the exception of any continental champion teams will be the league winners. You've then set the league winners to qualify for the Europa Cup, but there are no league winners left, they've already been qualified for another competition. Lots of clashes throughout.

Any secondary cups should be in the "Other Cups" section instead. I believe that's the only way to get teams to play in multiple competitions. So your Super Cup, Europa Cup and Conference Cup should be in there and completely removed from your standard qualification system.

Clean up the clashes and change all the countries and it should work though.

5 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Yeah, as I mentioned above all the teams have the wrong "Continental Cup Nation" set. Teams from a different nation are ineligible to qualify through that country's league. eg. for your Soviet Championship only teams with "Continental Cup Nation = U.S.S.R." could actually qualify from that league for continental competitions. It's the same as in the MLS, Canadian teams can't qualify for North American competitions via the MLS because their continental cup nation is set to Canada, they can only qualify from the Canadian Championship instead.

Secondly, there are probably conflicts with how you've set up qualification. As in you've set teams to qualify for multiple competitions, which I expect isn't possible (not 100% sure on that though). It should go from top to bottom order and any teams already qualified previously are ineligible from lower qualifications. So eg. your European Champions Cup winner qualifies for the European Super Cup, that means they're not able to qualify for the Champions Cup any more so that's 1 team missing already. You've then got the best team in each league to qualify for the European Champions Cup which with the exception of any continental champion teams will be the league winners. You've then set the league winners to qualify for the Europa Cup, but there are no league winners left, they've already been qualified for another competition. Lots of clashes throughout.

Any secondary cups should be in the "Other Cups" section instead. I believe that's the only way to get teams to play in multiple competitions. So your Super Cup, Europa Cup and Conference Cup should be in there and completely removed from your standard qualification system.

Clean up the clashes and change all the countries and it should work though.

Fantastic, thanks for much for the information. Can't believe I missed the Continental Cup Nation, its been a few years since I have used the editor.

In terms of what competitions go in the other cups section, I know you have mentioned the 3 in your response. But generally how do you decide which go in 'Cups' and which go in 'Other Cups'?

I will give this all a shot and see where I get. W

5 hours ago, legendof88 said:

Fantastic, thanks for much for the information. Can't believe I missed the Continental Cup Nation, its been a few years since I have used the editor.

In terms of what competitions go in the other cups section, I know you have mentioned the 3 in your response. But generally how do you decide which go in 'Cups' and which go in 'Other Cups'?

I will give this all a shot and see where I get. W

It's up to you what goes where. Although generally teams can only qualify for 1 tournament through the standard qualifying system, so anything in addition to that would be Other Cups instead. Typically that means Super Cups go in the other section, since you want those teams to qualify for the regular competitions and it's just an extra one on top for a select few teams.

Hey, 

So took all the advice thanks for that and went into the advanced rules. Sort of half fixed the issues. 

The issues still presenting themselves are as follows

- 3 out of 5 the major European Competitions are not running and not qualifying teams

- Competitions that are running (Champions League and Cup Winners Cup) don't run in 2021 and only start in 2022

- If a team does the double (League and Cup) they seem to qualify for both tournaments.

- In the editor I have changed the name of the competitions such as UEFA Champions League to European Champions Cup but the old names still show. 

I have attached the files, but I am really new to the advanced rules so not sure where to start with fixing these issues so some advice would be very much appreciated. 

Super League - European Competitions.fmf

Since you're drawing directly, rather than using a qualifying system, and don't want teams in both just go to the Qualified Teams section in the lower competition and at the very top of the list add "Get Qualified Teams For Comp", choose the higher competition and then tick the ignore teams box. It should then ignore any teams already qualified for the higher one. Doing that though you'll also need to tick the "Use Runner-Up Team As Backup" box on any "Get Last Winner" qualifiers, otherwise you won't have a team. So eg. if a team wins the league and the cup they'll be in the Champions Cup due to winning the league, then since they're in that the Cup Winners Cup will ignore them and take the cup runners up instead.

Not running in the first year is probably due to having the wrong number of teams. Any competitions without a last winner obviously can't qualify a last winner. Get best teams from a league may also have an issue if there aren't any league stats for the last year (might not be an issue though). Plus the original qualified teams may still be an issue if you've converted the existing European competitions. Might be worth clicking the "Clear current list of qualified teams" box and also clearing the registered teams on the competitions database page too for that latter.

You've also got the competition set up dates set to 1st June. Not sure about your leagues, but the default leagues usually update around the 20th June, if the European competitions are trying to setup before the leagues have updated their winners etc. that may be an issue as well.

Also, I noticed you changed the teams nations. You didn't need to do that. That was only needed if you were using the standard qualifying system, you're not so that change wasn't necessary. The only difference there is cosmetic, a team will show the flag of its "Continental Cup Nation" so you can change that back if you want them to show their own national flags.

Changing the "Based Nation" wasn't required at all though and will just make them generate newgens for the super league nations rather than their own nations. You should change that back if you want them to have proper newgen creation.

27 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Since you're drawing directly, rather than using a qualifying system, and don't want teams in both just go to the Qualified Teams section in the lower competition and at the very top of the list add "Get Qualified Teams For Comp", choose the higher competition and then tick the ignore teams box. It should then ignore any teams already qualified for the higher one. Doing that though you'll also need to tick the "Use Runner-Up Team As Backup" box on any "Get Last Winner" qualifiers, otherwise you won't have a team. So eg. if a team wins the league and the cup they'll be in the Champions Cup due to winning the league, then since they're in that the Cup Winners Cup will ignore them and take the cup runners up instead.

Not running in the first year is probably due to having the wrong number of teams. Any competitions without a last winner obviously can't qualify a last winner. Get best teams from a league may also have an issue if there aren't any league stats for the last year (might not be an issue though). Plus the original qualified teams may still be an issue if you've converted the existing European competitions. Might be worth clicking the "Clear current list of qualified teams" box and also clearing the registered teams on the competitions database page too for that latter.

You've also got the competition set up dates set to 1st June. Not sure about your leagues, but the default leagues usually update around the 20th June, if the European competitions are trying to setup before the leagues have updated their winners etc. that may be an issue as well.

Also, I noticed you changed the teams nations. You didn't need to do that. That was only needed if you were using the standard qualifying system, you're not so that change wasn't necessary. The only difference there is cosmetic, a team will show the flag of its "Continental Cup Nation" so you can change that back if you want them to show their own national flags.

Changing the "Based Nation" wasn't required at all though and will just make them generate newgens for the super league nations rather than their own nations. You should change that back if you want them to have proper newgen creation.

Really appreciate the help, I will go through this and apply some changes and will let you know how I get on. Thanks so much :)