Defensive Midfielders Ratings

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Rss94 said:

Is it only with me that the defensive midfielder position (regardless of the function) always has a ranting of 6?

They definitely don't 'always' get a six ... however some positions and roles may have slightly lower ratings than others during matches depending on your style of play and how a match goes.

For instance Goalkeepers at top clubs where they don't get to do a lot during most matches will generally score fairly lowly (this is true of goalkeepers in general tbh because of the nature of their position - they don't do much and then are called upon mainly for 'critical' instances so can be somewhat peaky, ironically it's easier to get a high rating as a keeper at a small club because you get to do more). 

Defensive midfield positions do a lot of work which supporters might not fully appreciate and so (as in real-life) their ratings might skew slightly lower than other roles because they don't make the last ditch tackles quite as often as a defender nor score goals as much as attacking players.

PS - Don't stress 'too' much about a players ratings so long as the team is performing, if he's looking dreadful and making mistakes then that is one thing, but if he seems to be playing well then stick with him - the game itself won't penalize players in low-rating positions/roles for getting lower ratings as that is taken into account (although an unloved position where they don't get good ratings is best taken up by a player with decent mental strength/personality so he doesn't feel affected if the media or fans moan about him - think about say 'Fred' at Man Utd, he gets a huge amount of stick but is actually a pretty decent player - he wouldn't be at such a large club otherwise).

My team is currently performing really bad but my players are getting good match ratings, it's a bit confusing. I can lose 3 - 0 but my defenders get a match rating of 7 or 8 seems a bit odd.

Are you aware of any player rating issues? 

Edited by Weller1980

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, Weller1980 said:

My team is currently performing really bad but my players are getting good match ratings, it's a bit confusing. I can lose 3 - 0 but my defenders get a match rating of 7 or 8 seems a bit odd.

Are you aware of any player rating issues? 

What ratings is your keeper getting and are you dominating games but failing to score ... then losing on the break?

If so then you might have a David James style keeper - great player but poor attention span, the ability to make several world class saves then switch off and let in a goal that he might be expected to save.

PS - Some people have reported a few oddities with ratings which we're continually looking into - 'kick back' somewhat too much when a goal comes in and a team gets back into a match, that sort of thing (basically the rating forgiving mistakes potentially a little too easily).

I have just saved a match whereby we were beat 3 - 0 and my defenders had ratings of 8, 7, 7 and a 4 we were easily beaten, another poor performance. I enjoy the challenge tho.

I'd like to upload the file for you to take a look but not sure how to do so. 

Edited by Weller1980

On 28/12/2021 at 12:36, Rss94 said:

Is it only with me that the defensive midfielder position (regardless of the function) always has a ranting of 6?

This is something else that needs looking into it. The DM players are almost nailed on a six unless they score a goal or make a mistake leading to a goal. It’s not realistic. Look at the likes of Rice, Phillips, Kante, Bissouma etc. Not convinced by an ‘they do a lot of unnoticed work’ These are consistently high performers in their teams. Fans, media and pundits know it too. 

I would say the problem exists in central midfield ratings too. Whilst not as brutal as the DM ratings, it seems like a major struggle to get a midfield player to score an average of 7+ over the course of a season. And I’m talking about world class players in a successful team here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive noticed this as well i wanting to ask about this but didn’t know where to till i found this forum, yes it definitely appears to be a poisoned chalice the DM position, also the CM is also a bit iffy, i had arguably the best team ive ever had on any FM Game on last years with Sevilla won the lot multiple times yet still that position was a big issue regardless who played there only with fedrico valverde there did any player get maybe half a season or more above a 6 rating. It has bugged me so much I don’t play with one generally in 22 game

• 1 month later...

Absolutely agree. 

I play 2 ball winning midfielders. Both 5* rating. I can win everything in a season and I really struggle to get the ratings over a season to be 7 or more.

You say this is factored in but it's not. If they rate less than 7 there star rating will drop. I have to have them taking penalties just to keep them up.

Another rating issue I raised a year ago still hasn't been rectified.

Why do player ratings after half time automatically drop / increase?

For example. I'm 3-0 up at half time. My players are all rating well with an average of 7.9. The opposition average 5.9. The second half kicks off and within seconds I average 7.1 and the opposition 6.7. It's total nonsense.

If the game finishes 3-0 my average rating and therefore my player ratings can be worse than the opposition.

It's got to the point where I'd rather score no goals in the first half and all of them in the second as it gives better ratings despite the result being the same.

About Defensive Midfielders rating low my conclusion is that they tend to not participate much (and not enough in fact) to the game. That explains ratings of 6 (not below).

-Offensively they won't do much because they usually stay right at their defensive position too much like an Anchor Man would, even if they're not set as an Anchor Man.

-Defensively they won't do much either, because when the opposition attackers find themselves facing the triangle formed by our two CDs + our DM, they will choose to move the ball to the wings 90% of the time. It's useful because their attack is usually gonna fizzle miserably on the wings, but the DM doesn't get to touch the ball, and his rating thus tends to stays neutral, at 6.

My solution is to always set DMs as a Roaming Playmaker. They will not neglect their defensive tasks because of it, at all. They're still aware they are a DM. But the added freedom of movement will allow them to move more smartly during our offensive phases, helping us dominate the game and that will often push their rating up (a bit).

Le 04/04/2022 à 13:40, TheLoon a dit :

Why do player ratings after half time automatically drop / increase?

As far as I get it, that's because the rating you see at the end of the game represents how good they were during the whole game, while the rating that you see *during* the game only represents how good they were in the last 15 mins or so.

It's good in a sense because a player, or the whole team, can be good during a certain phase and completely suck during another. The rating you see during the game would not reflect this if it was simply based on the totality. When your team is collapsing mentally in the 2nd half and begins to play godawful, you need the rating to warn you about it fast, even if they had a good 1st half.