(FM'22 Mobile) The Revival of the Minstermen

neilhoskins77

After 75 consecutive years in the Football League, the last almost 20 years have been fairly miserable for York City. In 2004/05, their run as a Football League club was ended, and while they made a return seven years later, they would drop back out of the League four years later, and continue falling through to tier six and the Vanarama National League North.

Now it's the start of the 2021/22 season, and as the UK and the rest of the World start to emerge from a pandemic that at times has brought everything to a standstill, City are hoping to turn the corner and start the climb back towards the Football League. They have left their Bootham Crescent home, and at the start of the year moved into the brand new 8,400 seat York Community Stadium. They also have a new Manager......me.

This will be my first ever Management job, and with my reputation set to 'Unknown', I've immediately thrown myself into the deep end. Sean Newton has played over 500 career games, and is about to go into his sixth season at the club, while new arrival and veteran striker Clayton Donaldson is only a trio of goals away from 200 for his career. Neither is even remotely impressed that the club has hired an unknown and inexperienced Manager, and have publicly voiced their concerns at the turn of events.

This wouldn't normally be a problem, but these two players are both in a social team leader group of three, and they hold a fairly sizeable influence over other members of a pretty small First Team Squad. This is a tough starting problem to deal with, and there are several options to deal with it. I may have a short time to prove to them that I can out perform my reputation both on and off the park, or there is the option to move one or both of them out of the door before their opinion filters through the Squad, and deal with the issue that way. Talk about a baptism of fire!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone, Happy New Year to you all!
For as long as I can remember, I've been promising a faster paced story. But I always get sidetracked and bogged down with the detail.
Well, this is my latest plan to keep the detail brief. Use the faster paced and less detailed Mobile version of the game.
Less detail in the game, less detail in the story.

This is my first attempt at using this version, and it would appear that good performances in the game could mean unlockable features coming up. These will be dealt with as and when they occur, but no unlockables will be 'purchased' by me, they will only appear if they are earned.

30 years is the maximum career allowed in this version.

All available Leagues in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales & Republic of Ireland are loaded.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

York City FC
Season 2021/22
Vanarama National League, North Division

Stadium :-
York Community Stadium
Capacity :- 8,512

Facilities :-
Training Facilities :-
3/5
Youth Facilities :- 1.5/5

Finances :-
Financial State :-
Okay
Wage Budget :- £12,000 per week
Current Wage Total :- £12,750 per week
Maximum Wage :- £850 per week
Current Highest Wage :- £1,500 per week

Transfer Budget :- £4,000
Affiliate Clubs :- None

Senior Squad

Goalkeepers :-

Peter Jameson (Goalkeeper)
28 years old. English. Value - £14,000. Wage - £650 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 282. Career Goals :- 0.
Former Clubs :- Consett, Sunderland Ryhope, Darlington, Blyth Spartans.
Joined York City :- 2019/20, Free Transfer.
The man in possession of the number one jersey at the club, but I'm really not sure about him, and his tendency to be somewhat erratic.

Ryan Whitley (Goalkeeper)
21 years old. English. Value - £3,000. Wage - £350 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 17. Career Goals :- 0.
Former Clubs :- Whitby Town (Loan), South Shields (Loan), Scarborough Athletic (Loan).
Joined York City :- 2016/17, Youth Intake.
The potential heir apparent. Currently out on loan to Scarborough, who have taken him back after he played eight games there last season. He could be recalled if Jameson doesn't start well.

------------------------------

Defenders :-

Michael Duckworth (Right Back/Wing Back)
29 years old. English. Value - £7,000. Wage - £750 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 246. Career Goals :- 9.
Former Clubs :- York City, Harrogate Railway, Bradford Park Avenue, Hartlepool United, Fleetwood Town, Morecambe (Loan), FC Halifax.
Joined York City :- 2008/09, Youth Intake. Rejoined in 2020/21 from FC Halifax.
The only Senior right back at the club, but while he looks fairly solid, he is probably overpaid and we should look to bring in someone to compete for his spot at the very least.

Scott Barrow (Left Back/Wing Back)
32 years old. Welsh. Value - £6,000. Wage - £750 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 376. Career Goals :- 34.
Former Clubs :- Port Talbot Town, Tamworth, Newport County, Merthyr Town, Gateshead.
Joined York City :- 2020/21 from Gateshead.
An almost identical situation to Duckworth's, the difference being the hugely experienced Welshman is probably a bit out of his depth at this level.

Sean Newton (Centre Back, Left Back)
32 years old. English. Value - £20,000. Wage - £800 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 507. Career Goals :- 60.
Former Clubs :- Droylsden, Barrow, AFC Telford United, Stockport County, Lincoln City, Notts County (Loan), Wrexham.
Joined York City :- 2016/17 from Wrexham.
One of the clubs best, most experienced, and highest paid players. He can also cover left back if needed. But he's currently pretty annoyed the Board have brought in an inexperienced Manager, and his future could here could be in doubt.

Matty Brown (Centre Back)
31 years old. English. Value - £8,000. Wage - £700 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 191. Career Goals :- 11.
Former Clubs :- Northwich Victoria, Marine, Chesterfield, Southport, Chester, FC Halifax Town.
Joined York City :- 2020/21 from FC Halifax Town.
About to start his second season with the club. A big huge and physical centre back.....who has the turning circle of a cruise liner. The jury is out on whether he could play at a higher level.

Joshua King (Centre Back)
20 years old. English. Value - £1,000. Wage - £300 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 9. Career Goals :- 1.
Former Clubs :- Chester-le-Street.
Joined York City :- 2019/20 from Chester-le-Street.
A promising but very inexperienced centre back, who has plenty of room for improvement, and is considerably cheaper than his more experienced peers.

Midfielders/Wingers :-

Sam Fielding (Defensive Midfielder, Centre Back)
22 years old. English. Value - £8,000. Wage - £300 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 1. Career Goals :- 0.
Former Clubs :- York City, Barnsley, Salford City.
Joined York City :- 2015/16 from Youth Intake. Rejoined in 2021/22 from Salford City.
A talented deep lying midfielder who came through the club, before leaving to try his luck at a higher level. It didn't work out for him, and now he's back at the club where he started.

Akil Wright (Defensive Midfielder, Centre Midfielder)
25 years old. English. Value - £10,000. Wage - £600 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 167. Career Goals :- 12.
Former Clubs :- Fleetwood Town, AFC Fylde (Loan), Barrow (Loan), Wrexham.
Joined York City :- 2020/21 from Wrexham.
Our other and more Senior defensive midfielder, but Akil is an out and out ball winner. We need a player like him of course, but do we need to pay a player like him that much?

Harrison Hopper (Centre Midfielder, Right Midfielder)
20 years old. English. Value - £5,000. Wage - £350 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 5. Career Goals :- 0.
Former Clubs :- Rochdale, Colne (Loan).
Joined York City :- 2021/22 from Rochdale.
A new arrival from Rochdale, very much a get what it says on the tin centre midfielder. I'm not convinced we needed him, and I'm sure the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Michael Woods (Centre Midfielder)
31 years old. English. Value - £22,000. Wage - £750 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 249. Career Goals :- 37.
Former Clubs :- Leeds United, Chelsea, Notts County (Loan), Yeovil Town, Doncaster Rovers, Harrogate Town, Hartlepool United, Harrogate Town, Dover Athletic.
Joined York City :- 2020/21 from Dover Athletic.
The experienced former Leeds and Chelsea youngster had a disrupted, but nonetheless impressive first season at the club last year. He's another influential member of the Squad, and he's prepared to give his new Manager a chance, possibly because he isn't a big fan of Newton.

Mackenzie Heaney (Left Winger, Attacking Midfielder, Right Winger, Centre Midfielder)
22 years old. English. Value - £22,000. Wage - £500 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 9. Career Goals :- 0.
Former Clubs :- Newcastle United, Newcastle Benfield, West Auckland Town, Whitby Town.
Joined York City :- 2021/22 from Whitby Town.
A former Newcastle United youngster who has been moving around the North East in search of regular football. His versatility could mean he finds a home here at City.

Olly Dyson (Right Winger, Attacking Midfielder, Left Winger, Centre Midfielder)
21 years old. English. Value - £16,000. Wage - £600 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 48. Career Goals :- 10.
Former Clubs :- Huddersfield Town, Liversedge (Loan), Barrow (Loan).
Joined York City :- 2020/21 from Huddersfield Town.
Joined the club last season from Huddersfield, where he spent several years but only ever played when he went out on loan. Played some football for the club last season, but will need to prove he is worth a place in the squad going forward.

Strikers :- 

Clayton Donaldson (Striker, Attacking Midfielder)
37 years old. Jamaican/English (10 caps/2 goals). Value - £6,000. Wage - £1,500 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 613. Career Goals :- 197.
Former Clubs :- Hull City, Harrogate Town (Loan), York City, Hibernian, Crewe Alexandra, Brentford, Birmingham City, Sheffield United, Bolton Wanderers, Bradford City.
Joined York City :- 2021/22 from Bradford City.
Veteran, prolific goalscorer, team leader. And a new arrival who is deadset against me being the Manager at the club. The well travelled striker needs to be convinced I'm up to the job, or one us is probably going to be heading out of the door....

Jason Gilchrist (Striker)
26 years old. English. Value - £9,000. Wage - £750 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 156. Career Goals :- 62.
Former Clubs :- Manchester City, Burnley, Droylsden (Loan), Accrington Stanley (Loan), Chester City (Loan), FC United of Manchester, Southport, Stockport County (Loan), South Shields, York City (Loan).
Joined York City :- 2021/22 from South Shields.
Gilchrist has spent years switching from club to club in the North of England. He spent last season here on loan, but didn't really play, appearing just once. So why such a large salary?

Mark Beck (Striker)
27 years old. Scottish. Value - £10,000. Wage - £950 per week. Contract - Loan until 3/1/2022.
Career Appearances :- 267. Career Goals :- 59.
Former Clubs :- Carlisle United, Workington (Loan), Falkirk (Loan), Yeovil Town, Wrexham (Loan), Darlington, Harrogate Town.
Joined York City :- 2021/22 on loan from Harrogate Town.
The Scottish striker is here on loan from Harrogate of League Two until the New Year. He has a goal or two in him, but his parent club do retain the option to recall him at any time. His wages are also a bit steep.

Kurt Willoughby (Striker)
24 year old. English. Value - £12,000. Wage - £650 per week. Contract - 1 year.
Career Appearances :- 112. Career Goals :- 49.
Former Clubs :- Fleetwood Town, Radcliffe (Loan), Padiham, AFC Blackpool, Clitheroe, FC United of Manchester, AFC Fylde, York City (Loan).
Joined York City :- 2021/22 from AFC Fylde.
A striker who is still living off the memory of two great seasons at Clitheroe and FC United. He has failed to replicate that form since, including on a loan spell here. But it didn't stop them from allowing him to join permanently this summer.

Other Young Players :- 

Maison Campbell (Goalkeeper) - 17 years old - English - 1 year
Michael Hogan (Goalkeeper) - 15 years old - English - 2 years
Tom Pickles (Right Back) - 16 years old - English - 2 years
Jacob McLoughlin (Right Back) - 16 years old - English - 2 years
Lewis Cunningham (Left Back) - 18 years old - English - 1 year
Jonny Haase (Left Back) - 17 years old - English - 1 year
Craig Magwere (Left Back) - 16 years old - English - 2 years
Ben Dale (Centre Back) - 17 years old - English - 1 year
Elliot Owen (Centre Back) - 17 years old - English - 1 year
Nathan Heaton (Centre Back) - 16 years old - English - 2 years
Tom Algar (Defensive Midfielder/Centre Midfielder) - 16 years old - English - 2 years
Archie Whitfield (Defensive Midfielder/Centre Midfielder) - 19 years old - English - 1 year (on loan at Ossett United)
Kieran Clayton (Centre Midfielder, Left Winger) - 16 years old - English - 2 years
Max Ezard (Centre Midfielder/Attacking Midfielder) - 16 years old - English - 2 years
Billy Gordon (Centre Midfielder) - 16 years old - English - 2 years
Jack Degruchy (Centre Midfielder/Attacking Midfielder/Winger) - 17 years old - English - 1 year
Kyle Lancaster (Right Winger) - 17 years old - English - 1 year
Josh Knowles (Striker, Winger) - 17 years old - English - 1 year
Jonny Shepherd (Striker, Attacking Midfielder) - 17 years old - English - 1 year
Reon Potts (Striker, Attacking Midfielder) - 20 years old - English - 1 year (on loan at Ossett United)
Luke Jones (Striker) - 18 years old - English - 1 year

Staff :-

Neil Hoskins (Manager) - 43 years old - Welsh - Unknown Reputation - Tolerated by the Squad
Micky Cummins (Assistant Manager) - 43 years old - Irish - Bronze Badge
Dan Wilson (First Team Coach) - 34 years old - English - Bronze Badge
Andy Collett (Coach) - 47 years old - English - Bronze Badge
Leyla Iqbal (Physiotherapist) - 21 years old - English - Bronze Badge
Lewis Bulmer (Physiotherapist) - 28 years old - English - Bronze Badge

Friday 16th July 2021
A squad report from my assistant Micky Cummins states that strengthening is needed if the club is to achieve it's objectives this season. Those objectives have been set out by the Board as mounting a serious challenge to win the Vanarama North Title. They state they have appointed me despite my inexperience, as they believe there is a raw ability that can achieve this aim. 

My first act to help the club with this aim, is to remove Sean Newton as the Club Captain. He is one of two players that don't think I am up to the job, but also there are several players in the squad who don't get on with him. So Matty Brown is promoted to Club Captain, and into the Vice-Captain role comes Clayton Donaldson, the other player who isn't sure about my appointment, but one we need firing on all cylinders if we are to get ourselves into Title contention. This is act one of placating the Jamaican International veteran striker. The move is unanimously well received in the dressing room, including by Donaldson. That aspect sorted, I go ahead and have adverts placed to try and get some Scouts into the club, as we currently have none employed.

Saturday 17th July

Pre-Season Friendly
Rodney Parade, Newport
Newport County v York City

Our opening pre-season fixture is a return very close to home for me, as we are away to League Two side Newport. Both sides pick very strong lineups, as we go with a 4-3-1-2 narrow formation, Clayton Donaldson selected in the attacking midfield role.

A deflected blast by Alex Fisher midway through the first half gave the Football League side an advantage that they would never lose. While there were plenty of positives for us, as we had the lions share of possession and matched County in many areas of the park, we struggled to create chances, and after Courtney Senior had hit the bar with a header in the latter stages, Jermaine Hylton finally wrapped up a 2-0 home win after Michael Duckworth blew a marking assignment. As run out's go though, this one was a high level test for us that could stand us in good stead.

Newport County (1) 2 - Alex Fisher (23), Jermaine Hylton (89)
York City (0) 0
Peter Jameson; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow, Sean Newton, Matty Brown ©; Sam Fielding, Harrison Hopper, Michael Woods; Clayton Donaldson; Jason Gilchrist, Mark Beck
Attendance :- 3,414

Sunday 18th July
We have received several interested applicants for the Scouting roles at the club, but with the club operating under a restricted staff budget, I'm unable to bring new staff in. Players will still need to be moved out though, and the process begins of working out who is expendable right now.

Wednesday 21st July
25 year old defensive midfielder Akil Wright is the first to be transfer listed, and subsequently moved out of the club. He is sold to Irish club Dundalk for a fee of £9,000.

Saturday 24th July

Pre-Season Friendly
AESSEAL New York Stadium, Rotherham
Rotherham United v York City

It's another step up in quality, as we make the relatively short trip to face Rotherham, relegated from the Sky Bet Championship last season, and hoping to bounce right back up out of League One this campaign. The midfield four is changed into a diamond this time around to try and give us a better link from the back four into the centre of the park.

Two goals in each half from the League One outfit gave this one a scoreline that was quite lopsided, but did portray the way the chances fell. Will Grigg took two first half chances, and when we switched to a more conventional 4-4-2 wide formation at the break, chances became more regular for Rotherham. It was quite late on by the time they added to the scoreline however, with substitutes Freddie Ladapo and Ben Miles both netting with shots from distance.

Rotherham United (2) 4 - Will Grigg (19,43), Freddie Ladapo (86), Ben Miles (90+3)
York City (0) 0
Peter Jameson; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow, Sean Newton, Matty Brown © (Joshua King 77); Sam Fielding (Mackenzie Heaney 45); Harrison Hopper, Michael Woods; Clayton Donaldson; Jason Gilchrist (Kurt Willoughby 45), Mark Beck (Olly Dyson 45).
Attendance :- 6,867.

Thursday 29th July
With a failure to move any more players out of the club this week, and no money in the Staff Budget to bring in a Scout to find us some new talent, we still have the same threadbare and low on quality squad to go into another very tough Friendly fixture. Our steady ascendency up the Football League of opponents quality continues tonight, with a visit from Sky Bet Championship side Peterborough United.

Pre-Season Friendly
York Community Stadium, York
York City v Peterborough United

Kurt Willoughby replaces Mark Beck in the one personnel change to the starting lineup, though there are more wholesale changes to the tactical side. With the level of opposition quality in these Friendlies clearly too high for us to compete with, we are now sacrificing our control of the ball as we look to go into a faster and more direct counter attacking outlook.

A bad tempered game saw striker Jack Marriott give the visiting Peterborough side a two goal advantage with strikes just before the half hour and just after the hour mark, they also amassed three bookings in the first half. We stuck to our task, and Michael Duckworth hit the cross bar with a free kick as we kept our foot in the game. But when the players started to tire, and changes were made, we started to get overun, Jonson Clarke-Harris found the net twice in the last ten minutes or so, though one was chalked off for offside, and again we're beaten without a reply.

York City (0) 0
Peterborough United (1) 3 -
Jack Marriott (28,62), Jonson Clarke-Harris (79)
Peter Jameson; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow, Sean Newton (Joshua King 80), Matty Brown ©; Sam Fielding; Harrison Hopper (Mackenzie Heaney 80), Michael Woods (Olly Dyson 80); Clayton Donaldson; Jason Gilchrist (Mark Beck 80), Kyle Willoughby.
Attendance :- 2,006

Saturday 31st July
The month comes to a close, and with no Scouting staff on board still and the prospect of that looking low, and no further players leaving the club, we are starting to run out of options to be able to bring in new bodies. An approach to the Board to acquire an Affiliate club has been shot down right away. Sometimes, playing the game on a LLM basis can make life difficult.....

• 3 months later...

Tuesday 3rd August 2021
Little problems continue to raise their heads. The latest one being goalkeeper Peter Jameson being picked out by the backroom staff as a disruptive influence during training. He does at least respond well to the formal warning that I send his way. I can't do much more than that as we are unable to bring in anyone else at this point.

Thursday 5th August 
A whole host of young players are sent out on loan from the club as we attempt to trim the clubs outgoings still further. This move finally puts the club in a position to be able to hire some Scouts, and Lee Adams and James Beaumont are immediately brought into the club, both guys that have previously been identified as possibles for the jobs after applying for positions with the club. Now they need to find us some squad depth, with Free Agents and Loan Signings our first markets to hit.

Saturday 7th August

Pre-Season Friendly
York City v Chesterfield

No changes to the lineup or system this time as the level of quality drops much closer to ours for this final Friendly of the pre-season schedule with a visit from Chesterfield of the Vanarama National League.

It would be wrong to call the first half even, as Chesterfield pinned us in for long periods and dominated the possession. But we defended very stoutly, and kept ourselves organised to remain all square at the half time. Desperate to show our fans something of a vaguely attacking nature in front of 2,000 plus fans, I made tactical changes and utilised my bench that was only four strong following all the loan departures. I removed both the defensive and attacking midfielder roles in favour of wingers, and watched on as we paid a quick and heavy price. Both Kabongo Tshimanga and Jack Clarke buried chances that came their way in a five minute spell, and I had to change again to stem the bleeding. We did finally create some low end quality chances of our own, but the damage had already been done for us.

York City (0) 0
Chesterfield (0) 2 -
Kabongo Tshimanga (53), Jack Clarke (58)
Peter Jameson; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow, Sean Newton (Joshua King 66), Matty Brown ©; Sam Fielding (Mackenzie Heaney 45); Harrison Hopper, Michael Woods; Clayton Donaldson; Jason Gilchrist (Olly Dyson 45), Kury Willoughby (Mark Beck 66).
Attendance :- 2,084

Sunday 8th August
This time next week we'll have opened our League campaign with a home game against Kidderminster, and after a four game pre-season where we failed to find the net, and shipped eleven goals at the other end, I should be full of trepidation. But I'm not, and it's not just because the level of pre-season opposition was considerably higher than ours on the whole. Our new Scouting team have been hard at work over the last couple of days. They have produced a list of players that would be able to join us quickly, and be able to improve our squad and options immensely. Five players from the list receive offers from us, three on loan, and two get contract offers. One name in particular would be a big deal for us.

Monday 9th August
It's a huge Monday morning from the club, and I might have just done something that could turn the fans and even some of the players who keep throwing around the inexperienced tag, back in my favour.

Ross McCormack has been the subject of Transfer Fees totalling almost £25 million during his career. Now 34, and unable to find a club to take a chance on him with his recent injury history, the 13 times capped former Scottish International forward has landed in our laps. So the man who has previously played for Rangers, Motherwell, Cardiff City, Leeds United, Fulham, Aston Villa and Melbourne City, will now play Vanarama North football this season for £425 per week. His new estimated transfer market value is £4,000. The mood in the dressing room immediately shifts, though McCormack takes just one training session to admit that he isn't particularly motivated by playing sixth tier football.

Joining him at the same time with us is a fellow Scot, and a man in his age group too. The 32 year old midfielder, though probably more accurately described as the hated 'utility player' term, is Jack Steele. If McCormack lacks motivation, then Steele has buckets of it, as he moves into arguably the biggest club he's ever played for, no disrespect to Queen of the South, Annan Athletic, and more latterly, Dalbeattie Star.

Tuesday 10th August
The Squad improvements continue today, with three loan arrivals. None of them will claim any wages from us, with their parent clubs all paying their wages in full, and all are on loan for the entire season. The trio are Nottinhgam Forest's 21 year old defensive midfield and centre midfielder Tyrese Fornah, the 24 year old Welsh attacking midfielder and striker Jamie Thomas from Preston North End, and Blackburn Rovers 21 year old eighteen times capped Gibraltar International centre back Louie Annesley, who can also cover the centre midfield position.

We did fail with one other player we tried to bring in, Nigerian born 25 year old forward Nathan Oduwa, a speedster who's wage demands we couldn't meet, and he instead moved into the Scottish second tier with Hamilton Academical.

Wednesday 11th August
Young goalkeeper Ryan Whitley has been recalled from his loan at Scarborough, and moved right into the First Team pool, where he will now contest for starts with Peter Jameson. There is a school of thought that suggests the younger goalkeeper is already the better of the two.

Thursday 12th August
With our new incomings, we are now being made slight favourites for our home opener this weekend against Kidderminster Harriers as we kick off our Vanarama North Division campaign. We're told that the signing of McCormack could add numbers we weren't expecting to the gate at the York Community Stadium.

Saturday 14th August

Vanarama League North Division
York City v Kidderminster Harriers

All five of our new arrivals start this game as we select a 4-3-1-2 narrow formation, with Ross McCormack partnering Clayton Donaldson up front, and Jamie Thomas supporting them in front of a three man midfield.

After an even opening third of the game where the battle was contained mainly in the middle of the park, we cut loose in the latter stages of the first half. First Ross McCormack cut in from the left and found a deep lying Clayton Donaldson twenty five yards out, and he fired a shot into the top corner, before McCormack was brought down in the penalty box himself after receiving the ball from a short throw in before the break. The Harriers players thought he'd dived, but not the ref, and McCormack rolled home a debut goal from the spot. On the hour mark, a deflected Caleb Richards free kick found it's way past a flat footed Peter Jameson, who had dealt with everything pretty comfortably up to that point. But it wouldn't matter today, as Donaldson flicked on a long ball in the 72nd minute to find McCormack, and he deftly finished that one for his second of the afternoon. He was given a standing ovation in the 87th minute when he came off with Jamie Thomas after taking a kick and we moved into a far more defensive setup to see out the remaining minutes and open with a win.

York City (2) 3 - Clayton Donaldson (31), Ross McCormack (42 pen, 72)
Kidderminster Harriers (0) 1 - Caleb Richards (60)
Peter Jameson; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow, Sean Newton, Louie Annesley; Jack Steele, Tyrese Fornah, Michael Woods; Jamie Thomas (Matty Brown 87); Clayton Donaldson ©, Ross McCormack (Harrison Hopper 87).
Attendance :- 1,918

Maybe that will motivate Ross McCormack a little bit. Or maybe too much? Long after the players have left the stadium, and we're conducting the post match review, the staff air their worries that the veteran Scottish forward has become over-confident in a flash after that outing. It's noted that he has immediately jumped into the core group socially in the Squad, and is certainly an influential presence. It's considered that it won't be long before he joins the group of team leaders, which is fine while he's scoring goals etc. But he was also heard to say that he believes the club can win the League easily this season, and if that over confidence spills into the group, then it won't be long before we start tripping over our attitude and dropping points.

• 1 month later...

Monday 16th August 2021
The building potential of Ross McCormack's over-confidence has another layer added to it when the veteran forward is the only York City player named in the Vanarama League North's Team of the Week after the opening weekend of the new season.

Thursday 19th August
We'll be the favourites again this weekend when we go on our travels for the first time in a competitive game for this new campaign. We're heading down the motorway to visit one of the southern most teams in this North Division, as we make our way to play Gloucester City. They were involved in a 3-1 scoreline of their own on the opening day, losing away to Southport.

Saturday 21st August

Meadow Park, Gloucester
Gloucester City v York City

Gloucester absolutely dominated the early stages of this match, earning half a dozen corners in the opening quarter of an hour, but seeing them all cleared to safety mainly due to poor deliveries. The game transitioned into a scrappy stage, and referee Gareth Rhodes booked home centre back Ben Nugent, then declined to book him again moments later following a blatant shirt pull, instead booking our right back Michael Duckworth for complaining that Nugent wasn't sent off. We would get sloppy, and were punished twice in just over five minutes by Gloucester's on loan from Sunderland striker Luke Chapman before the break. Centre back Sean Newton was replaced at half time for Matty Brown which seemed to stiffen up our back four, but we would lose Ross McCormack to injury in the early stages of the second half. Mark Beck replaced him, but it was strike partner Clayton Donaldson who pulled us back within one with a deflected 20 yard shot midway through the half. Try as we might, we couldn't force the equaliser though, despite spending much of the last ten minutes camped in the hosts half of the park.

Gloucester City (2) 2 - Luke Chapman (32,38)
York City (0) 1 - Clayton Donaldson (66)
Peter Jameson; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow, Sean Newton (Matty Brown 45), Louie Annesley; Jack Steele, Tyrese Fornah, Michael Woods; Jamie Thomas; Clayton Donaldson ©; Ross McCormack (inj - Mark Beck 52).
Attendance :- 874

Anyone who had the impression that we were walking to the Title after just that small sample size of one home game will have just been brought back down to earth with a bump. Not as big as the bump that Ross McCormack suffered early in the second half however, and the Scottish forward is out for around ten days, meaning he will miss our final games of August, a home game with Brackley Town, followed by a Bank Holiday Monday trip to Spennymoor Town.

Monday 23rd August
With Mark Beck considered a fairly big drop down in quality up front, I start looking to bring in some depth in that area. A Russian striker who played in Scotland last season is very keen to sign for us, but will need a work permit that he is very unlikely to be granted. Sky Bet League One side Sheffield Wednesday have made 25 year old Dutch forward Sylla Sow available for loan, however it wasn't until we sat down at the table with them that they also mentioned they would like his £3,500 per week wages covered in full. That'll be a no then.

Tuesday 24th August
Bridges seem to be being built between myself and centre back Sean Newton after I honoured my word and offered a new contract to the 32 year old former Captain. And why wouldn't I, he is taking a wage cut of £150 per week in return for adding an extra year to his deal, meaning we have a few more quid into the wage budget pot, something always appreciated at Boardroom Level.

There isn't any space needed to try and bring in my latest forward target, who would be another loan signing should we be able to get this one across the line.

Wednesday 25th August
'If you can't beat them, join them!' That's a legit saying, and we have followed it to the letter. We couldn't beat Gloucester City, so we have joined them in taking a Sunderland forward on loan. 21 year old Swedish prospect Benjamin Kimpioka will be at the York Community Stadium on loan for the remainder of the 2021/22 season. He has made eight appearances in the First Team for the Black Cats, scoring once, and spent last season on loan at Vanarama National outfit Torquay United, where he appeared in another seven games. He brings a blend of strength and pace to our front line, and can also play out wide on either wing or behind the strikers. He has been capped nine times by Sweden at Under-21 Level, scoring twice.

Thursday 26th August
Despite defeat last time out, and the prospect of being without Ross McCormack, the bookies believe home advantage will help us take three points from the opening game of our Bank Holiday Weekend double header against Brackley Town. They sit a point ahead of us after a win and a draw from their opening pair of fixtures.

Friday 27th August
Two of our loan signings have been called up for International Duty in the forthcoming Window. Gibraltar have selected Louie Annesley while Sweden Under-21's have called up our latest arrival Benjamin Kimpioka.

Ross McCormack is back at training today, albeit light work only. Our marquee signing definitely won't be involved tomorrow afternoon against Brackley, and will be a late decision to play at Spennymoor on Monday depending on how he gets on over the weekend. We won't take too many risks with him at this early stage of the season.

Predictably, our attempt to bring in 31 year old Russian free agent forward Islam Kadyrov has been thwarted by the Government with the player refused a work permit. Then, around an hour after we were given the news, a particularly shady character turned up at the ground, asking to speak to the Chairman or myself. He got both, as much out of curiosity as anything. He explained that for the sum of £10,000, he could get us through the paperwork that would get Kadyrov into the country with a valid work permit. As you can imagine, instead of leaving with a stack of notes, he was led out by a side door as quickly as he had arrived. Maybe that's how the Scottish team got him into their club last season.

Saturday 28th August

York City v Brackley Town

Some tinkering with the setup see's Jamie Thomas moved up into a closer role behind the front two as a shadow striker today, with one of those front two being Mark Beck, as he is selected to take Ross McCormack's place, new arrival Benjamin Kimpioka brought into the squad to sit on the bench. Full backs Michael Duckworth and Scott Barrow are being asked to press into the wing back role to provide us with more width further up the park and get more balls into the box. In goal, Ryan Whitley replaces Peter Jameson and gets his opportunity to stake his claim.

Brackley may have come into the game unbeaten and above us in the League, but they were certainly unambitious coming into our place today. Their counter attack efforts were easily dealt with, and when we stepped it up a gear they couldn't cope with our strength up front, Clayton Donaldson knocking the ball down for Jamie Thomas who rounded the last defender and shot across goal to open the scoring just before the half hour. We were playing to our strengths, and Michael Woods dropped in a free kick in first half injury time and Mark Beck headed home his first goal of the campaign. With no real threat coming back from our visitors in the second half, I made some changes and tried something out for future reference, replacing the attacking midfielder with a third centre back in a live trial for what I plan to use for some away games.

York City (2) 2 - Jamie Thomas (29), Mark Beck (45+3)
Brackley Town (0) 0
Ryan Whitley; Sean Newton ©, Louie Annesley; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow; Jack Steele, Tyrese Fornah, Michael Woods (Harrison Hopper 74); Jamie Thomas; Mark Beck (Matty Brown 74), Clayton Donaldson (Benjamin Kimpioka 74).
Attendance :- 1,778

Okay, that was a nice pleasant and straightforward afternoon for us. We're starting to find something that works for us, and if we can play this nicely at home, and start picking up points regularly from our away games, a top seven finish to secure a Playoff place at least is well within our capability's. Onwards to Monday afternoon, where we will take a trip to Spennymoor.

Monday 30th August

Brewery Field, Spennymoor
Spennymoor Town v York City

Just 48 hours after our last outing, this is the kind of game where I need to rotate the team. Unfortunately, with very little squad depth, I don't have that luxury right now. Club Captain Matty Brown comes in to make a trio of centre backs with Jamie Thomas rested for this one.

I had unintentionally mirrored Spennymoor's tactics today, and that made for a close game with individual mistakes or moments of skill the way to settle it. Unfortunately for us, it would be the former. Sean Newton blew his marking assignment from a free kick and the ball found it's way to striker Frank Mulhern who would bury the chance to give Town the advantage. Slowly during the second half I had my players easing into a more attacking mode, and after Town had scored from the only shot on target they would get, we would need to do the same. Mission failed however, as Michael Woods drove the only shot on target we had at goal from the edge of the box, but it was easily dealt with. That wasn't our best chance though, that would come from a set piece that saw the ball sent to the far post, where Mark Beck ghosted in unmarked, but put his header into the side netting. Once again, no points on the road for us.

Spennymoor Town (1) 1 - Frank Mulhern (19)
York City (0) 0
Ryan Whitley; Sean Newton (Jamie Thomas 68), Matty Brown ©, Louie Annesley; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow; Jack Steele, Tyrese Fornah (Harrison Hopper 72), Michael Woods; Clayton Donaldson (Benjamin Kimpioka 68), Mark Beck.
Attendance :- 961

It was noticed by the fans at the game today that we played a different formation, and they weren't happy with what they saw. The lack of attempts on goal was a point I agreed with them on, and something that I tried to address in the second half, but once more we come away from a road trip with no points, and we end August in 9th place. We certainly need to be better, and I think we will be once we get everyone match fit and firing on all cylinders.

I live in York and was at the quarter final and final games of the Conference play offs at the LNER. York are a massive club they should easily by a football league team. Definitely following this.

On 27/05/2022 at 14:16, bigmattb28 said:

I live in York and was at the quarter final and final games of the Conference play offs at the LNER. York are a massive club they should easily by a football league team. Definitely following this.

No pressure then haha. Cheers Matt, hope you enjoy the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Wednesday 1st September 2021
On loan centre back Louie Annesley plays the full ninety minutes of Gibraltar's 2-0 home defeat against Montenegro in the World Cup Qualifying game this evening.

Thursday 2nd September
We're home this weekend against Farsley Celtic, who have the exact same record as us, two wins and two defeats from four games. Where there is a difference between the clubs is that Celtic have a far more leaky defence, averaging two goals against in each game so far, and combined with home advantage is predicted to give us the win.

Friday 3rd September
With some new Scouting reports landing on my desk this week, there is an opportunity to improve our strength at the club, and I'm quick to make my move. 31 year old attacking midfielder Bobby Grant immediately steps into the 'Influential Player Hirearchy' group at the club. A former Liverpool youngster, it's actually Accrington Stanley and Fleetwood Town that have had the best of his career so far. He spent last season on loan with Oldham Athletic from Wrexham. He's signed for this season and next on a £450 per week deal.

He is available for tomorrow's League game with Farsley Celtic, as is veteran forward Ross McCormack who returns to training today following his thigh injury.

Saturday 4th September

York City v Farsley Celtic

I continue to tinker a bit with the formation as we try to find the way that suits us best. Today it's a 4-4-2 with a diamond in the centre of the park, with the full backs asked to play as wing backs and supply the width we're looking for further up the park. With Louie Annesley away on International Duty with Gibraltar, there is a start for Sam Fielding at the base of the four, while Jack Steele is rested to allow Bobby Grant to debut at the attacking point of the diamond. Ross McCormack is amongst the substitutes.

One full back embraced the role more than the other, and not the one I was expecting. Michael Duckworth is very comfortable in the wing back role, but Scott Barrow strode forward inside ten minutes and whipped over a cross to the far post that Clayton Donaldson headed home to put us in front. I felt that had we not got that goal, the game could have gone very much the other way, as Celtic applied plenty of pressure throughout, especially from corners where they tested our defending in set piece situations. But inside the last five minutes the matter was settled when Fielding found Grant, and the debutant rounded off his day with a deflected shot that found it's way in to secure the points and move us back up into sixth place.

York City (1) 2 - Clayton Donaldson (8), Bobby Grant (86)
Farsely Celtic (0) 0
Ryan Whitley; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow, Sean Newton, Matty Brown ©; Sam Fielding; Tyrese Fornah (Jack Steele 86), Michael Woods; Bobby Grant (Jamie Thomas 86); Clayton Donaldson, Mark Beck (Ross McCormack 45).
Attendance :- 1,729

We are at least continuing our perfect home record, though that will be tested next time out when we host Hereford United, one of the pre-season fancied sides, next weekend. Of course our home form will count for little if we can't start picking up points on our travels as well.

Chalk up another ninety minutes of International Football for Louie Annesley, though I doubt he enjoyed it. Gibraltar are thumped 5-0 by Turkey, though it won't be the first time our on loan defensive midfielder has been part of such a scoreline playing for his country though unfortunately.

Tuesday 7th September
It's the final day of the International Window, and a huge pick up for Louie today. Okay, Gibraltar didn't get a result in their World Cup Qualifier against Holland, but to only lose 2-1 against one of the genuine football heavyweights of the World game, never mind Europe, but they must be proud of doing so well tonight.

Thursday 9th September
Despite Hereford being a side that many fancy to do well this season, their start hasn't been overly encouraging with them currently down in 9th place, and we are once again the favourites to win this weekend at the Community Stadium.

York City v Hereford United

Louie Annesley returns from a hectic International Window and comes right back into the side replacing Sam Fielding in the defensive midfield role, while Mark Beck is dropped from the matchday squad altogether with Ross McCormack starting and on loan forward Benjamin Kimpioka brought in for bench duties.

This was pegged as our stiffest test of the campaign so far, and it shaped up that way throughout the majority of the first half, with us slightly edging it for my money, though unable to find our way through with a series of corners that didn't find the mark. Into the second half and the edgy nature continued, with the added bonus of the visitors getting frustrated and feeling the wrath of the ref, four of them ended up seeing yellow. In amongst that midway through the second, Michael Duckworth found Tyrese Fornah outside the box, and he found the bottom corner to give us a very nice victory that would nudge us up into fourth place.

York City (0) 1 - Tyrese Fornah (67)
Hereford United (0) 0
Ryan Whitley; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow, Sean Newton, Matty Brown ©; Louie Annesley; Tyrese Fornah, Michael Woods; Bobby Grant (Jamie Thomas 83); Clayton Donaldson (Benjamin Kimpioka 83), Ross McCormack (Jack Steele 72).
Attendance :- 1,982

Tuesday 21st September
We will start our FA Cup journey in a fortnight's time as we enter at the Third Qualifying Round stage. We are drawn at home to play Stourbridge.

Thursday 23rd September
Before then though we have a gut check, as we make the short trip to 5th placed Darlington who are just one point and one spot behind us in the Vanarama North. We have failed to pick up a single point away from home so far this season, but we are the narrow favourites after a pair of home wins this month.

Saturday 25th September

Blackwell Meadows, Darlington
Darlington v York City

I tried to keep the adjustment from a home game setup to an away day approach as minimal as possible, moving Louie Annesley back from the base of the diamond into a third centre back, and pushing Michael Duckworth and Scott Barrow forward into attacking wing backs.

Darlington were the team in control for much of the first half, and headed into the break with a single goal advantage after Alex Purvers drove home his fourth goal of the season from 12 yards out after a good passing move cut us open. Now I don't know if opposition manager Alun Armstrong was trying to match up with us, but each time I made adjustments, Darlington always seemed to be playing the same way. That was to firstly put us back into our 4-4-2 diamond, and then go increasingly attacking when we went looking for options in the final quarter. That move saw Ross McCormack curl home an equaliser from a free kick, and the same player nearly won us the game in injury time when a loose ball in the box fell to him and while his shot beat the keeper, it was headed off the line by a defender to deny us all three points.

Darlington (1) 1 - Alex Purvers (19)
York City (0) 1 - Ross McCormack (72)
Ryan Whitley; Sean Newton, Louie Annesley (Benjamin Kimpioka 66), Matty Brown ©; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow; Tyrese Fornah, Michael Woods (Jack Steele 66); Bobby Grant (Jamie Thomas 66); Clayton Donaldson, Ross McCormack.
Attendance :- 1,003

Despite coming out second best in possession, scoring chances and corners, all by quite some way, we so nearly earned our first win on our travels today. Ross McCormack is certainly taking this season seriously too. The veteran forward was dismayed at failing to convert that late chance. Nonetheless, he did score a lovely free kick to earn us our first point away from home and move us up to third place as we finish September.

However, our fans are still not happy with how we setup on the road. I get it, but I'm trying what I can to squeeze some of our home form into our away games, and I'm sure a few wins would change their tune. We'll get there I'm sure, York wasn't built in day after all!

Monday 27th September
McCormack's spirits are quickly improved when he is named in the Vanarama North Team of the Week. Personal accolades certainly seem important to the Scotsman. That's absolutely fine, as long as he is playing the team game and continuing his good early season form.

Tuesday 28th September
On loan midfielder Tyrese Fornah is out for around a week after suffering a sprained wrist during a heavy fall in training today. He'll miss this weekends FA Cup game at home to Stourbridge.

Wednesday 29th September
Clayton Donaldson's superb early season form has earned the veteran striker a call up to the Jamaica squad for the next International Window. The 37 year old currently has ten caps to his name for the Reggae Boyz.

• 6 months later...

Friday 1st October 2021
Tomorrow sees us enter the FA Cup at the Third Qualifying Round stage, as we entertain Stourbridge of the Southern League Premier Central Division. We're the red hot favourites to progress, but not much is known about our opposition despite having them scouted. If you want a tennuous link between the clubs, Stourbridge have their own Gibraltar International amongst their squad too, 32 year old eighteen times capped striker Reece Styche. He could find himself up against our on loan 21 year old Louie Annesley.

One of our other on loan International assets has once again been called up by his nation. Swedish forward Benjamin Kimpioka is once again called up into their Under-21 Squad. Also called up is Annesley who will look to add to his 21 Senior caps for Gibraltar during the upcoming International Window.

Early pace setters Boston United have swept the board in the September Awards for the Vanarama North. Veteran midfielder Paul Green is Player of the Month, with team mates Jake Wright and Danny Elliott rounding out the top three. Their manager Craig Elliott wins the Manager of the Month gong, beating competition from Tommy Miller of Spennymoor and Paul Cox of Kettering.

My own Board are giving nothing away in my monthly appraisal. They continue to roll with the same line that they presented when I got the job, though they have said they consider the signing of Bobby Grant to be an excellent piece of business for the club.

Saturday 2nd October

FA Cup Third Qualifying Round
York City v Stourbridge

We are starting to settle into a nice routine for our system with home games, and then a variation for our away games. Today we switch back to the flat back four and diamond in midfield for this FA Cup tie, the injured Tyrese Fornah replaced in the lineup by Jamie Thomas who plays behind the strikers, with Louie Annesley in the defensive midfielder role.

While we held a level of control from the outset here, Stourbridge were doing a pretty good job of limiting our chances, with only Jamie Thomas forcing keeper Kayden Potts into a save in the opening quarter, though he was offside anyway. Unfortunately Potts wasn't so good with his feet, and when he tried to play sweeper keeper in the 23rd minute it went badly wrong, Clayton Donaldson dispossessing him and then firing home the opener. With control of the scoreboard established, our grip of the game tightened, and Michael Woods rounded off a good team passing move early in the second half to allow us a level of comfort where I could replace some tiring legs of players not having such a good game today without any fear, as Stourbridge failed to register a shot on target.

York City (1) 2 - Clayton Donaldson (23), Michael Woods (51)
Stourbridge (0) 0
Ryan Whitley; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow, Sean Newton, Matty Brown ©; Louie Annesley (Sam Fielding 71); Michael Woods, Bobby Grant; Jamie Thomas (Benjamin Kimpioka 71); Clayton Donaldson, Ross McCormack (Mark Beck 71).
Attendance :- 1,653

That was a very professional performance, and Southern League side Stourbridge are dispatched without too much fuss. The draw for the next round takes place on Monday evening. There were plenty of upsets today with clubs from further down the pyramid taking out Vanarama North and South sides, so we'll consider this an avoided banana skin.

Sunday 3rd October
Not ideal timing, but in a gentle session today experienced centre back Sean Newton has suffered a minor head injury. It's possible that it will keep him out of next weekend's home League fixture with Southport at least.

Monday 4th October
The draw is made for the Fourth and final Qualifying Round of the FA Cup this evening. We are drawn away from home to face either Whitby Town or Kidderminster Harriers. These two drew 4-4 on Saturday in one of the outstanding games of the day, and the Northern League Premier Division side were unlucky not to eliminate the team who we already hold a League win over this season after defeating them at our place on the opening day of the Vanarama North season.

Wednesday 6th October
At Aggborough this evening, Kidderminster Harriers made hard work of finally putting way Whitby Town and advancing into the next round of the FA Cup. Two goals down inside half an hour, the Midlands team were level before the break, but would require a pair of goals in the space of a minute in the first period of Extra Time to finally get the job done. We will now make the trip to Aggborough ourselves in ten days time.

Friday 8th October
Tomorrow we entertain Southport at the Community Stadium in League action. Our visitors started the campaign poorly, losing the next three after an opening day victory. But they have recovered since then, unbeaten in their last four in all competitions and now up to 9th in the Vanarama North. We're the bookies favourites, but this isn't expected to be an easy game.

Saturday 9th October

York City v Southport

International call-up's and injury forces our hand here, and my matchday squad picks itself with our depth stretched to the absolute limit. Sam Fielding replaces Sean Newton at centre back, while fit again Tyrese Fornah takes over at the base of the diamond with Louie Annesley on International Duty. Also missing due to that reason is Clayton Donaldson, his spot goes to Mark Beck, while Benjamin Kimpioka is also absent, meaning a place on the bench for Olly Dyson.

The game was very fragmented and stop start, largely due to referee Peter Gibbons, who was very over-fussy and card happy. Mark Beck was carded for a handball deemed deliberate, and Bobby Grant quickly followed when he broke up a counter attack with a foul. It was evened back up slightly before the break, but the tightness of the game meant that chances were  tough to create. Beck was substituted at the break, Jack Steele brought on and Grant pushed up front, a role later occupied by Jamie Thomas as Grant got closer to the edge himself. Our squad versatility was getting us through the game as both Sean Newton and Olly Dyson came off the bench later on with more switching around necessary. As for chances, they were very few and far between, an out of sorts Ross McCormack missing the target with a late free kick as neither side created a clear cut scoring opportunity and the game petered out into a goalless draw.

York City (0) 0
Southport (0) 0

Ryan Whitley; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow, Sam Fielding, Matty Brown ©; Tyrese Fornah (Sean Newton 80); Michael Woods, Bobby Grant (Olly Dyson 80); Jamie Thomas; Mark Beck (Jack Steele 45), Ross McCormack.
Attendance :- 1,993

That was a tense watch, and without the versatility that we have we could have easily dropped all three points today. Bringing in loan players is great for us, but losing them to International duty isn't going to help us get the most out of the players or maximise our own benefit. Something we need to be mindful of in our future Transfer Market dealings.

The result sees us drop into fourth, leapfrogged by Darlington as the fans air their frustration that we weren't able to find a way through in a tight and defensive game. It highlighted how much we rely on Clayton Donaldson, with Jamie Thomas not able to replicate his ability to hold up the ball in the final third or unlock a defence. Nearly two months into the season however our progress is good, and I've seen enough to remain convinced we can hold a place in the higher reaches of the Vanarama North table.

• 2 months later...

Wednesday 13th October 2021
Experienced centre back Sean Newton has returned to training today following his minor head injury.

Thursday 14th October
We have been made narrow favourites by the bookies ahead of this weekends visit down to Kidderminster Harriers in the Fourth Qualifying Round of the FA Cup. Victory in this round, against a team we already hold a win against this season, could hopefully see us land a plum money spinning tie in the First Round Proper.

It has been a tough International Window for our on loan defensive midfielder Louie Annesley. It usually is, as a Gibraltar International it usually ends in defeat for the 21 year old, who plays 90 minutes in both of his nations games, as they lose both of their World Cup Qualifiers, 4-0 to Norway and 1-0 to Latvia. He has now moved up to 23 Senior Caps.

Saturday 16th October

FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round
Aggborough Stadium, Kidderminster
Kidderminster Harriers v York City

Bobby Grant drops back into the centre of the park, where he replaces Tyrese Fornah in the midfield, and Jamie Thomas starts in the attacking midfield role.

In the tenth minute, Forest Green Rovers on loan midfielder Harvey Bunker picked up a yellow card, which was already overdue as that was his third foul. Ross McCormack touched the set piece sideways and Matty Brown struck a shot that took a huge deflection to leave keeper Luke Simpson absolutely stranded and put us in front. 18 year old Bunker doubled down in the 15th minute in a show of immaturity, and got himself sent off and left his team in real trouble. That left Harriers boss Russ Penn trying to find a way to first stabilise his side, and then come back into it while a man down. That job became twice as hard when on half time, McCormack used Woods as a decoy before curling in a 25 yard free kick of his own to double our lead! Those would be the only two shots we would get on target all afternoon, but it didn't matter as it was two more than Harriers would manage. When our two midfielders fell foul of the referee, I took no risks to complete the job, and we saw out a comfortable victory to move into the First Round Proper.

Kidderminster Harriers (0) 0
York City (2) 2 -
Matty Brown (10), Ross McCormack (45)
Ryan Whitley; Sean Newton, Louie Annesley, Matty Brown ©; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow; Bobby Grant (Tyrese Fornah 62), Michael Woods (Jack Steele 62); Jamie Thomas (Benjamin Kimpioka 84); Clayton Donaldson, Ross McCormack.
Attendance :- 830

Monday 18th October
This evening sees the draw made for the First Round Proper of the FA Cup, where we were hoping for a money spinning tie. That is still a possibility, with our Community Stadium ground capable of holding more than 8,000 fans. It would be nice to get up somewhere near that number on Saturday 6th November, when we host Port Vale of Sky Bet League Two. Our away League game against Gateshead that was scheduled for that date has now been brought forward to earlier in that week.

Speaking of the FA Cup, our next Vanarama North opponents are on a five game winless streak, and for Leamington that includes a defeat in their replayed FA Cup Third Qualifying Round tie against their league rivals, Alfreton Town. That run has somewhat spoilt a promising start to the season for tomorrow nights hosts, though a two goal win in this fixture would see them move back above us, as we go into the game sat in 5th place, dropping one spot following AFC Fylde's victory at home to Gloucester this evening.

Tuesday 19th October

New Windmill Ground, Leamington
Leamington v York City

Benjamin Kimpioka replaces Jamie Thomas behind the strikers in the only change from the weekends FA Cup win in Kidderminster.

I doubt even the most optimistic of fans has ever arrived at this ground and expected to see a game quite like this! On loan Swedish forward Benjamin Kimpioka has shown glimpses of promise already this season, and he rounded off some superb interplay between himself, Clayton Donaldson and Ross McCormack to give us the lead before the break, two home players were booked for their protests as they claimed offside. Truthfully, we were cruising, enough so to bring off a tiring McCormack and push Kimpioka up front and and bring Jamie Thomas on. Then things went badly wrong. Michael Duckworth brought down Dan Turner as he raced into the box, booked for his trouble, and then shown a straight red for foul and abusive language! After a delay while I reorganised, including the removal of my other wing back, Joe Parker dispatched the spot kick by sending Ryan Whitley the wrong way, and less than ten minutes later Parker's shot across goal was turned into his own net by Louie Annesley. With nothing left to lose, and Donaldson having run himself to a standstill, I reorganised us into three lines of three. And with mere seconds left in the allotted injury time, a direct long ball up the park from Matty Brown was flicked on by Thomas, releasing Kimpioka through the offside trap and he rounded Jake Weaver and slotted home the latest of equalisers to earn us a point!

Leamington (0) 2 - Joe Parker (70 pen), Louie Annesley (79 og)
York City (1) 2 - Benjamin Kimpioka (39,90+3)
Ryan Whitley; Sean Newton, Louie Annesley, Matty Brown ©; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow (Jack Steele 70); Bobby Grant, Michael Woods; Benjamin Kimpioka; Clayton Donaldson (Jamie Thomas 82), Ross McCormack (Tyrese Fornah 62).
Attendance :- 1,443

Our fans were outraged that we only managed a point from that game, where to be honest, I was delighted we had salvaged anything at all from what looked like a dead cert for a defeat with ten minutes to play. It would certainly appear that certain quarters of the club still believe we are some kind of Football League outfit, and shouldn't be struggling to win games at this level. A reality check would do them the world of good.

Michael Duckworth was actually shown a straight red card just seconds after being booked for the nature of his language to the referee, and has been fined a weeks wages for his poor judgement. He is said to be very annoyed at being fined, but will also now sit out a one game ban, which will be served for this weekends upcoming home game against Chester, a side struggling in the bottom three of the table and managerless, while the point we salvaged sees us move back up into fourth, four points behind leaders Spennymoor Town.

• 1 month later...

Thursday 21st October 2021
We will host Chester this coming weekend in the Vanarama North as we start to move towards the end of October. Our guests find themselves in poor form, without a manager, and sat inside the bottom three of the current league table. Their only win in their last five came at home to Northern League Premier Division side Warrington Town, who they needed Extra Time to dispatch in the Third Qualifying Round of the FA Cup. To add to their problems, their Fourth Round tie has also gone to a replay, and they are hosting Kettering Town tonight in that game before travelling to us on Saturday. A 2-1 win over Kettering does improve their form a bit ahead of the weekend, but will do nothing for their fitness levels coming into the York Community Stadium.

Saturday 23rd October

York City v Chester

With Michael Duckworth suspended, there is a Senior Career debut at right back for 17 year old Tom Pickles, who is summoned from the Reserve team to move right up into the First Team today. Tyrese Fornah returns to the midfield pairing in place of Bobby Grant.

We have already had some issues with referees this season, and Peter Gibbons being a very fussy and harsh one is something we have already encountered, in our last home game actually. Today with just eight minutes on the clock he shows midfielder Michael Woods a straight red card for what he deemed to be a late tackle that equates to violent conduct. That forced me to bring Bobby Grant on for Benjamin Kimpioka early, as Chester dominated proceedings and finally took the lead in the 28th minute when George Waring found some room and sidefooted into the bottom corner. We would find a reply before the break however, and from a reliable source. Clayton Donaldson was dragged to the floor and Ross McCormack would find the net direct from the resulting free kick. Both sides would have a chance to win it in the second half, Donaldson fired ours well over, before a remarkable period of play late on saw Simon Grand's header saved by Ryan Whitley, before Waring fired the loose ball off the bar and George Glendon saw his hooked effort then headed off the line by Louie Annesley! The spoils would be shared, and both sides had reason to be both happy and annoyed with that outcome.

York City (1) 1 - Ross McCormack (42)
Chester (1) 1 - George Waring (28)
Ryan Whitley; Tom Pickles, Scott Barrow, Sean Newton, Matty Brown ©; Louie Annesley; Tyrese Fornah, Michael Woods; Benjamin Kimpioka (Bobby Grant 8 (Jack Steele 76)); Clayton Donaldson (Jamie Thomas 64), Ross McCormack.
Attendance :- 1,816

Another frustrating afternoon, and just a point from a game we would have expected all three from. The result, and others around us mean we have now dropped into 7th spot and are clinging on to the Playoff spots by our fingernails. Eight games unbeaten in all competitions makes for good reading on the surface, but two of those games were Cup matches, and in our latest six League games we have won only two and drawn the remaining four. We'll end the month with Tuesday and Saturday games against teams that are in or around the Playoff spots.

Tom Pickles actually played pretty well in his Senior Debut, managing to help the back four keep Chester down to a single goal in a match where an early sending off meant we were under pressure for large spells. Right back is a position we have been aware is a problem area for us, and Chester have a right back that can step up from a lower end team into a side with higher ambitions. We have been aware of him for a while, and now we are making our move. It's going to cost us though!

Like Michael Duckworth before him, Michael Woods is fined a weeks wages for his red card misdemeanour, and he will also sit out this midweek trip to third placed Boston United, the highest scoring club in the Vanarama North at this stage of the season.

Monday 25th October
A deal is done, and 26 year old right back James Horsfield makes the move from Chester to York City. We have paid £12,000 for him, the entirety of our Transfer Budget, as well as also sending promising 16 year old goalkeeper Michael Hogan in the opposite direction to sweeten the deal. A former youngster on the books of Manchester City, our new arrival made his Senior Debut for NAC Breda in Holland while on loan for two seasons from the Premier Legaue club. After eventually being released from the club, he spent time with Scunthorpe United and Wrexham before landing in Chester over the summer. After getting him for nothing, they were happy to take the profit on the player who will wear the number thirty six jersey for us, and at £850 per week becomes the second highest earner that we actually pay the wages for. That is twice the weekly wage that Ross McCormack takes home.

He's eligible to make his debut tomorrow night away to Boston United, now sitting fourth ahead of this game after a Sunday afternoon win for our next opponents Blyth Spartans takes them up to third and leaves us outside the Playoffs in eighth position ahead of the midweek fixture. With Michael Duckworth still out and Michael Woods also now suspended, we will need to reorganise, and the bookies believe our unbeaten run will come to an end tomorrow night, and we will go into the weekend outside of the top seven.

Tuesday 26th October

Jakemans Community Stadium, Boston
Boston United v York City

James Horsfield is drafted right into the team as the right wing back as we switch back to three centre backs as normal for away day games. Jack Steele replaces the suspended Michael Woods in midfield with Olly Dyson brought into the matchday squad as a substitute.

A common theme in our games is the low number of clear cut chances created, and that's for both sides. Even the most prolific club in the League struggled to create quality opportunities against us, though they were without doubt the better side in the first half. And they thought they had the lead in first half injury time, Alex Kiwomya received the ball back after his corner was cleared, and his cross found opposite winger Danny Elliott who found the net, but was judged offside as he did so. With veteran prescence in our forward line comes the issue of dealing with their fatigue. Ross McCormack was the first to depart before the hour mark, and it was his replacement Bobby Grant who found the winner with around a quarter of an hour remaining, Benjamin Kimpioka skipped away from a challenge and cut the ball back across goal to find Grant and he fired home his low shot. It was game management from there, and a big nod to Louie Annesley who was excellent as part of the back three and frustrated United time and time again.

Boston United (0) 0
York City (0) 1 -
Bobby Grant (76)
Ryan Whitley; Sean Newton, Louie Annesley, Matty Brown ©; James Horsfield, Scott Barrow; Tyrese Fornah, Jack Steele (Olly Dyson 90+2); Benjamin Kimpioka; Clayton Donaldson (Jamie Thomas 78), Ross McCormack (Bobby Grant 58).
Attendance :- 968

That win bounces us right back up into fourth spot, and with other results now rolling in our favour, we are just two points behind the early pacesetters Spennymoor in a top half of the Vanarama North that sees the top eleven clubs covered by just five points. Consistency is key I guess, and maybe those single points from the games will be seen as more positive than negative come the end of the season, at least that's what I'm hoping. We are the only team in the Division still in single figures for goals conceded, and the only club conceding an average of less than a goal per game. We just need to find the net a bit more regularly ourselves.

Thursday 28th October
According to the bookies, this weekends opponents are punching above their weight with their lofty early season league position, and they have us as firm favourites ahead of our third v fourth clash at home to Blyth Spartans.

Saturday 30th October

York City v Blyth Spartans

Michael Duckworth returns at right back, while fatigue necessary rotation provides Sam Fielding with a rare opportunity at the base of the midfield diamond. Bobby Grant starts in the midfield, while Jamie Thomas starts up front. That means places on the bench for James Horsfield, Louie Annesley, Jack Steele, the returning from suspension Michael Woods, and Clayton Donaldson. I opt to go without a goalie on our bench.

The midfield battle would be all important here, and Sam Fielding really put his hand up for future duties, breaking up play often and providing a platform for counter attacks. A 12th minute counter attack led to a free kick on the left, and Ross McCormack swung in a cross that made its way by everyone until it reached Benjamin Kimpioka at the far post, who applied the finishing touch. On the half time mark, the pair combined again, McCormack drifting out wide and dragging a marker with him, and then picking out Kimpioka at the near post to flick home his second! That would be McCormack's last act, as he was replaced by Clayton Donaldson at the break as the pairs fitness levels were managed. We missed the Scots creativity in the second half, but it wouldn't be a day that would cost us, as Blyth failed to unpick our increasingly sturdy defence, despite the chances often coming the way of the usually reliable veteran Robbie Dale.

York City (2) 2 - Benjamin Kimpioka (12,45)
Blyth Spartans (0) 0
Ryan Whitley; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow (James Horsfield 88), Matty Brown ©, Sean Newton; Sam Fielding; Bobby Grant, Tyrese Fornah; Benjamin Kimpioka (Louie Annesley 90); Jamie Thomas, Ross McCormack (Clayton Donaldson 45).
Attendance :- 1,977

We are starting to find our footing, and a system that works for us. We are now also starting to acquire players suitable for roles, but interchangeable to give our squad a higher level of depth than appears at first glance. We will have to manage our older players such as McCormack and Donaldson as we did today, and if we can do that effectively we will surely have a crack at a Playoff spot at the very minimum.

2021/22 Vanarama League North Division (Top Half), Up To & Including Saturday 30th October 2021

| Pos   | Inf   | Team                   |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   |

| 1st   |       | Darlington             |       | 12    | 6     | 4     | 2     | 22    | 13    | +9    | 22    |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2nd   |       | York City              |       | 12    | 6     | 4     | 2     | 16    | 8     | +8    | 22    |
| 3rd   |       | Spennymoor Town        |       | 11    | 6     | 3     | 2     | 20    | 13    | +7    | 21    |
| 4th   |       | Kettering Town         |       | 11    | 6     | 2     | 3     | 22    | 11    | +11   | 20    |
| 5th   |       | Blyth Spartans         |       | 12    | 6     | 1     | 5     | 18    | 13    | +5    | 19    |
| 6th   |       | AFC Fylde              |       | 12    | 6     | 1     | 5     | 23    | 24    | -1    | 19    |
| 7th   |       | Boston United          |       | 12    | 5     | 2     | 5     | 24    | 17    | +7    | 17    |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 8th   |       | Gloucester City        |       | 12    | 5     | 2     | 5     | 23    | 17    | +7    | 17    |
| 9th   |       | Chorley                |       | 11    | 5     | 2     | 4     | 19    | 17    | +2    | 17    |
| 10th  |       | Curzon Ashton          |       | 11    | 4     | 5     | 2     | 16    | 15    | +1    | 17    |
| 11th  |       | Kidderminster Harriers |       | 11    | 5     | 2     | 4     | 12    | 12    |  0    | 17    |
| 12th  |       | Alfreton Town          |       | 11    | 5     | 2     | 4     | 14    | 17    | -3    | 17    |

• 1 month later...

Sunday 31st October 2021
The local newspaper interviewed me today, and while most of it was the usual boring and tedious questions, I was asked if I thought York would be in the race for the Title considering our current improved form. I told the hack that it's a long season, and that I wouldn't want our fans to get ahead of themselves or over-excited. By the time the interview hit the press, it has been repackaged as 'unambitious Manager writes off City Title challenge'. Just what I need!

Monday 1st November
It was our current form that would have us as the Even money favourites for tomorrow evenings trip North to face Gateshead. In poor form themselves largely, and down in 17th place, this is the game that was supposed to be played this coming weekend, but has been moved forward due to our success in reaching the First Round of the FA Cup.

The Board have focused their monthly appraisal largely on our signing of full back James Horsfield from Chester, which they are delighted with, declaring the arrival of the 26 year old defender and excellent piece of business.

Tuesday 2nd November
Wrexham of the National League have lodged a £12,000 offer for 21 year old Utility player Olly Dyson. With keeping our fairly fragile squad depth in mind, I was of the opinion initially that we should reject the offer. But upon learning the knowledge that Dyson earns £600 a week and up to now has played in only two competitive games this season, I decided to negotiate with a Wrexham club that are well reported to have plenty of cash to throw around. I asked for £30,000 and saw their offer increased to £16,000. I reduced my demand to £24,000 and we then agreed to meet in the middle at £20,000. It would now be down to the North Wales club to agree personal terms with Olly.

While that was taking place, our on loan striker Mark Beck suffered a pulled hamstring in training, and will be out for around a month.

Gateshead International Stadium, Gateshead
Gateshead v York City

I was very tempted to keep to our home tactic and match up with Gateshead's 4-4-2. Our improved form however led me to keep to our away tactic, Sam Fielding keeping his spot and pushing into the back three that also included Louie Annesley, Sean Newton moving out to left wing back to allow Scott Barrow to be rested, James Horsfield replacing Michael Duckworth on the right, while Tyrese Fornah stepped into the midfield.

Gateshead would dominate possession for much of the first half on a rainy early November night in the North East in front of a very impressive attendance, but the best chance of the opening 45 minutes would fall our way, and to the man in form as Ross McCormack played Benjamin Kimpioka into space, the youngster going for power and missing the top corner he was aiming for. Jack Steele replaced Bobby Grant at half time, and we saw more possession come our way after the break. But we also saw more attention from over fussy ref Gareth Rhodes who made a rod for his own back when he handed out a fairly soft yellow card, and then kept on giving them out. Sean Newton was one of the recipients, and that played a factor in him being replaced by Scott Barrow as Jamie Thomas also came off for Clayton Donaldson as we tried to find a winner. But it wouldn't come, and while the unbeaten run continues, we drop more points on the road.

Gateshead (0) 0
York City (0) 0

Ryan Whitley; Matty Brown ©, Louie Annesley, Sam Fielding; James Horsfield, Sean Newton (Scott Barrow 65); Bobby Grant (Jack Steele 45), Tyrese Fornah; Benjamin Kimpioka; Jamie Thomas (Clayton Donaldson 65), Ross McCormack.
Attendance :- 4,648

So not an ideal result but far from a disaster either, and with a whole host of clubs not playing till the weekend, the point earned on the road sends us to the top of the table, for the time being at least. It's interesting to note that goalkeeper Ryan Whitley has now become one of the stars of the squad alongside Ross McCormack.

Wednesday 3rd November
Louie Annesley is once again included in the Gibraltar Senior Squad for the upcoming International Window, as is another of our loan stars. Annesley will be hoping to be involved against Holland at home and then Monetenegro away, and should he be involved in both games he will reach 25 International Caps. Forward Benjamin Kimpioka could move into double figures for Sweden Under-21 Caps as they have an away double header of Friendlies against Norway and Turkey. Frankly, I'd rather have both available for the away League game against Curzon Ashton a week on Saturday.

Thursday 4th November
Olly Dyson has completed his £20,000 move to Wrexham of the National League, and he joins the Hollywood owned club and their crusade to return to the Football League after a long absence. 

With money in the bank again, but already overspending on wages even with Dyson's departure, I hit the Scouts up for some players that would be happy to play here and not for a ridiculous amount of money. Some names quickly come my way, and some offers are sent to clubs. Word has obviously got around that we have some cash to spend following a deal with Wrexham, and some clubs play hardball with us unsurprisingly.

Saturday 6th November
Clayton Donaldson is a late addition to the Jamaica Squad for their upcoming double header of World Cup Qualifying fixtures in the CONCACAF Zone as they prepare to face Canada and the United States of America at home next week. The Jamaicans are currently in a very strong position right now, but these fixtures will obviously be tough tests.

We have negotiations open with a trio of players after agreeing deals with their clubs. It's not just the clubs playing us for some extra cash too, as the players sense our desperation to improve our Squad options for a promotion push and proceed to attempt some shake downs of their own. None will be at the club ahead of today's FA Cup tie with Port Vale though, a game we are considered as fairly heavy underdogs for despite our home advantage with Vale in the Promotion Playoff spots in Sky Bet League Two. Their talented midfielder Tom Conlon and on loan striker George Lloyd will both need to be kept quiet if we are to cause an upset.

FA Cup First Round
York City v Port Vale

We were very aware that Port Vale were going to show up here with a formation very similar to the one we use on away days. There just didn't seem any point in trying to match up with them, as they would surely dismantle us with their quality, so I stuck to my guns with our 4-4-2 with diamond midfield. Michael Duckworth replaces James Horsfield at right back while Scott Barrow is back on the left side of the defence. Up front, Clayton Donaldson replaces Jamie Thomas as we go with our strongest lineup to try and create a giant killing act.

After getting through the opening ten minutes and approaching the 15 minute mark with no problems of any note, we were suddenly opened up by our Football League visitors and Mal Benning swept home a shot from ten yards out. Once more we settled back into the game, but a corner around ten minutes from the break was met by George Lloyd and he thumped home a header to double Vale's lead. We weren't quite out of it yet though, as before the break Clayton Donaldson was fouled and Ross McCormack found the net from 30 yards out with a free kick. Keen to capitalise on the good feeling that goal right before the break gave us and the fans in the ground, I decided to press us into a more attacking version of the 4-4-2 at the break, taking off Sean Newton, bring defensive midfielder Louie Annesley into the back four, and bringing on Jack Steele to give us more playmaking from midfield. It failed miserably though, a loose pass gave Vale a counter attacking opportunity that debutant on loan Romanian winger Dennis Politic buried just five minutes after the restart. That was a bitter blow for us, and further attempts to create attacking options and platforms failed as Lloyd netted his second inside the final ten minutes to finish us and our FA Cup run off.

York City (1) 1 - Ross McCormack (44)
Port Vale (2) 4 - Mal Benning (14), George Lloyd (34,84), Dennis Politic (50)
Ryan Whitley; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow, Matty Brown ©, Sean Newton (Jack Steele 45); Louie Annesley; Bobby Grant, Tyrese Fornah (Michael Woods 68); Benjamin Kimpioka; Clayton Donaldson (Jamie Thomas 72), Ross McCormack.
Attendance :- 1,969

So we are out of the Cup, and thanks to Darlington's goalless draw away to Kettering Town while we were being blown away by the League Two outfit, we are also off the top of the Vanarama North as well now, though only down to 2nd place as other results largely went our way.

Monday 8th November
Port Vale's reward for their job at the York Community Stadium on the weekend in a trip to Sky Bet League Two rivals Swindon Town in the Second Round.

We were involved in a draw ourselves earlier today, as we are paired at home with Curzon Ashton of our own Vanarama North Division in the Second Round of the FA Trophy. That match will take place in just over a fortnight's time, but we will get a good look at our opposition this coming weekend when we travel to face them in an important League game.

Wednesday 10th November
Three players all arrive at the club today to give our squad some much needed depth and versatility. All of the trio bring a wealth of experience with them, which tells you that none of them are youngsters.

35 year old French forward Gregory Tadé is the first of the three. What he has lost in pace over the years he has now built up in strength, and is able to play in the role behind the striker or strikers, making him a very useful option for us. His earlier years of his career were largely spent in Scotland, before he went globe trotting and spent time in Romania, Qatar and Israel before returning to Scotland this season with Clyde where he has scored five goals and added a pair of assists so far. We have paid £2,000 for his signature on a contract through to the end of next season paying him £750 per week. Gregory is closing in on 350 career appearances and the one hundred goals mark.

Also heading to us from Scotland is slightly younger striker and attacking midfielder Kevin Smith. A former youngster with Leeds United and Sunderland, he didn't manage any First Team football with either and went on loan to Wrexham and Dundee where he found some limited game time. Dundee must have suited him, as he then signed for Dundee United who sent him out on loan where he had a breakthrough season at last. A second loan spell at Starks Park saw less football for Smith, and he then bounced around clubs such as Notts County, Queen of the South and Dumbarton. He would find his home at last in 2013/14 with East Fife who we have just signed him from on a Free Transfer, and he also has a contract through to the end of 2022/23 with a wage of £400 per week. He is closing in on 300 appearances in his career. Smith can play up front, on the wings, or behind the strikers as well as slightly deeper in a midfield role.

The final of the trio is the spring chicken of our new signings at a mere 30 years old. James McShane can also play as a striker, attacking midfielder or out on the wings, and signs a £550 per week deal through to the end of next season, joining us for a fee of £1,500 from Dorking Wanderers of the Vanarama South League. After spending his formative years of his career with Molesey who he never appeared for, he left for Dorking and has made all of his near 200 First Team appearances for the club he joined in 2016/17. His production had tailed off quite significantly, until this season where he has so far bagged nine goals and two assists, a level of performance that convinced us to bring him up to City.

As a result of that signing spree, we are now almost £2,000 per week over spent on our weekly wage budget, and it's only down to that figure as I gave back the unspent money we got for Olly Dyson from Wrexham to go back against the salary pot. It will be worth it if we get promoted in my opinion, though I'm not sure if the Board will agree with that assessment.

• 2 months later...

Thursday 11th November 2021
With new signings in place, we prepare for our return to Vanarama North action following the FA Cup mauling at home to Port Vale. We'll visit Curzon Ashton this coming weekend, a team outperforming the pre-season expectations and currently sat in a Playoff place just two points behind us in 5th spot. Despite that and their current five match unbeaten run, we are considered by the bookies to be the favourites for this one. This will be the first of two meetings with them in the space of a fortnight, as we have drawn them at home in the Second Round of the FA Trophy as well in what will be our final game of November and a tricky end to the month as we also host fourth placed Kettering in between those two games.

Saturday 13th November

Tameside Stadium, Ashton-Under-Lyne
Curzon Ashton v York City

Changes were forced upon me here with Clayton Donaldson, Benjamin Kimpioka and Louie Annesley all away on International Duty. That meant debuts for Gregory Tadé up front and Kevin Smith behind him, with James McShane included on the bench, and Scott Fielding stepping in to the back three as we revert to our away day tactic for this trip. Starting Tadé is the biggest risk, as he is on his way back from an injury and out of practice and sharpness.

What should have been a close game turned out to be anything but, and I'd like to tell you it had gone our way, but I'd be telling you lies. It started badly when Matty Brown tried to walk the ball out of his own box in the 6th minute, lost possession and Marcus Poscha did the rest. Twenty minutes later we got counter attacked and Craig Mahon added a second. Things went from bad to worse when Dominic Knowles sidefooted in a third. We badly needed half time, and at least when we got there we had pulled one back, Ross McCormack proving once more he is deadly from a dead ball situation with another free kick. I made a pair of changes, replacing Tadé who had a very below average first half, and switching us to our home tactic. But when we coughed up the ball deep in our own half once again and Knowles scored his second, we were done with any form of hope for the afternoon. What a disaster!

Curzon Ashton (3) 4 - Marcus Poscha (6), Craig Mahon (26), Dominic Knowles (33,51)
York City (1) 1 - Ross McCormack (45)
Ryan Whitley; Matty Brown ©, Sam Fielding, Sean Newton; Michael Duckworth (James Horsfield 62), Scott Barrow; (Y)Tyrese Fornah, Bobby Grant (Michael Woods 45); Kevin Smith; Gregory Tadé (James McShane 45), Ross McCormack.
Attendance :- 1,287

That was damn awful! Has the Port Vale massacre in the Cup demolished the confidence we took so long to build? Are we far too dependant on McCormack and the players on International Duty? Or are a side that are guessed to be overachievers just way better than us? I'd imagine we'll find out over the next two weeks when we host another Playoff placed side, and then go against Curzon Ashton once again.

That big defeat sends us from second down to fifth spot, and we get it both barrels from the fans and media too. I don't blame them, we have to make it up to them after that outing.

Wednesday 17th November
Louie Annesley returns from International Duty, and I feel terrible for the lad. Once more he has gone away with Gibraltar and twice played ninety minutes as his side gets battered, firstly 4-0 at home to Holland, and then last night 5-0 away to Montenegro. That was his 25th cap, and at the age of 21 he must be wondering why he puts himself through it.

After being taken off at half time of his debut on the weekend, Gregory Tadé has trained properly for the first time since arriving here today. The 35 year old striker will certainly be hoping to erase the memory of that nightmare debut over the coming weeks.

Thursday 18th November
We return home this weekend, and will face Kettering Town who also lost last weekend and as a result have dropped out of the Playoff places for now. Despite our awful performance last weekend, reputation and home advantage once more convinces the bookies to make us the short price favourites for three points on Saturday afternoon.

Friday 19th November
On the eve of a big game that we really need a win to reignite our season, we lose our key man. Scottish veteran forward Ross McCormack suffered a head injury in training today, thankfully minor, but enough to mean he is out for tomorrow's game, and possibly next weekends FA Trophy game as well. Timing isn't ideal here.

Saturday 20th November

York City v Kettering Town

Losing Ross McCormack is a huge blow, and fellow Scottish forward Kevin Smith steps up into his role. Clayton Donaldson is back from International Duty, as are Benjamin Kimpioka and Louie Annesley. Sean Newton has stated how unhappy he is with the team's form, blaming my management. I agree with him, and with an average rating of 6.23 he is dropped today, Sam Fielding keeping the spot, while James Horsfield is in today at right back. Gregory Tadé is on the bench.

Kevin Smith slotted nicely into McCormacks spot, and his early play with Donaldson and Kimpioka was promising, claiming an assist when he set up the latter for the opening goal in the 18th minute. But then we had a wobble that looked every bit liked the team of last weekend, first Scott Barrow giving away possession cheaply which allowed Kyle Perry in to equalise, and then Matty Brown wasn't brave enough when trying to block another shot from Perry and the deflection instead left Ryan Whitley flat footed and Kettering ahead. But we didn't give up and battled back into contention when Kimpioka netted his second of the afternoon to draw us level midway through the second half. Quickly after that I made a triple change to try and get us a winner, and it nearly worked too, a late passing play getting Tadé into a great position, but he ballooned his shot well over the bar and we'd have to settle for a draw.

York City (1) 2 - Benjamin Kimpioka (19,68)
Kettering Town (2) 2 - Kyle Perry (28.39)
Ryan Whitley; James Horsfield (Michael Duckworth 73), Scott Barrow, Matty Brown ©, Sam Fielding; Louie Annesley; Tyrese Fornah, Bobby Grant (Gregory Tadé 73); Benjamin Kimpioka; Clayton Donaldson (James McShane 73), Kevin Smith.
Attendance :- 1,620

It wasn't the win we really needed, but it was a positive result at least to start getting things going back in the right direction, and where we were slated last week, this week we got some real positivity for our second half performance in particular. We'll finish the month 5th in the League, five points from the top but well in amongst the Playoff pack.

Monday 22nd November
After his double on the weekend to earn us a point, Benjamin Kimpioka is today named as our only representative in the weekly Vanarama North Team selection.

Thursday 25th November
£200 is moved off the weekly wage bill as 19 year old striker Luke Jones completes a £2,500 transfer to Braintree Town of the Vanarama South Division.

Despite our horror show in Ashton-Under-Lyne almost a fortnight a go where we were thrashed by our hosts in League action, the bookies have made us the favourites once again tomorrow when he host Curzon Ashton in the 2nd Round of the FA Trophy at the York Community Stadium.

Saturday 27th November

FA Trophy Second Round
York City v Curzon Ashton

With Ross McCormack failing a medical and remaining unavailable for this one, there is only one change to last weeks' team, Michael Duckworth returning in place of James Horsfield, who has become the latest member of a group now numbering three that are starting to lose faith in me as Manager at City. The tactics are changed up today, three at the back and both full backs are pushed up into defensive winger roles to give better support to the midfield and try to get more crosses into the box.

The changes had the immediate impact of seeing Tyrese Fornah and Bobby Grant have far more of the ball in midfield. In the 15th minute Grant spread it wide to Michael Duckworth on the right, and he sent in an early cross that Bejamin Kimpioka applied the finish to as he continued his sparkling goalscoring form. Goalkeeper Ryan Whitley, another member of the unhappy group, had been told to keep his distribution short. But in the 34th minute he launched the ball down the park aided by a wind at his back. The defence didn't read the conditions, but Kimpioka did, chasing the ball down and while keeper Chris Renshaw got a big piece of the shot, he couldn't keep it out! Our near total control was challenged twenty minutes from time in near freak circumstances. Craig Hobson's attempted free kick struck the wall and pinballed it's way to Bilel Hinchiri, and the French midfielder finished accurately. I responded by funnelling us back slightly, and bringing on Jack Steele to replace Kevin Smith. And with ten minutes to go Steele caught the visitors too far forward and he split their defence open with a through ball that put Kimpioka in the clear again, this time Renshaw getting nowhere near his shot and he completed his hatrick, before being brought off late in injury time to take the plaudits of the home supporters. We're safely into Round Three.

York City (2) 3 - Benjamin Kimpioka (15,34,80)
Curzon Ashton (0) 1 - Bilel Hinchiri (70)
Ryan Whitley; Matty Brown ©, Louie Annesley, Sam Fielding; Michael Duckworth, Tyrese Fornah, Bobby Grant, Scott Barrow; Benjamin Kimpioka (James McShane 90+3); Clayton Donaldson, Kevin Smith (Jack Steele 73).
Attendance :- 1,716

That's more like it. The extra width further up the park certainly made a huge difference to the number of chances we were able to create, and helped us retain possession more in the centre of the pitch too. Certainly another string to our bow that can be utilised in sets of circumstances where we feel we can outscore our opponents and afford to be a little less protected at the back.

Monday 29th November
Great news, with Ross McCormack fit to resume training today. The Scottish veteran has missed the last two games, and seen Benjamin Kimpioka score five times in those games to take over his place at the top of the clubs scoring charts.

The draw is made for Round Three of the FA Trophy this evening, and it hasn't been particularly kind to us as we are drawn away from home to face Stockport County of the Vanarama National League on December 18th. Not only are they a Division above us, but they are also the current league leaders at that level, so will be providing us with a fairly large barrier to any further progress in that competition.

2021/22 Vanarama League North Division (Top Half), Up To & Including Tuesday 30th November 2021

| Pos   | Team                      | Pld  |Won|Drn|Lst| For | Ag | G.D | Pts |

| 1st   | Darlington                |  15  | 8 | 5 | 2 |  26 | 14 | +12 |  29 |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2nd   | Chorley                   |  15  | 8 | 3 | 4 |  26 | 21 | +5  |  27 |
| 3rd   | Spennymoor Town           |  15  | 7 | 4 | 4 |  23 | 18 | +5  |  25 |
| 4th   | Curzon Ashton             |  15  | 6 | 6 | 3 |  24 | 18 | +6  |  24 |
| 5th   | York City                 |  15  | 6 | 6 | 3 |  19 | 14 | +5  |  24 |
| 6th   | Blyth Spartans            |  15  | 7 | 2 | 6 |  22 | 16 | +6  |  23 |
| 7th   | AFC Fylde                 |  15  | 7 | 2 | 6 |  25 | 26 | -1  |  23 |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 8th   | Kidderminster Harriers    |  15  | 7 | 2 | 6 |  18 | 20 | -2  |  23 |
| 9th   | Kettering Town            |  15  | 6 | 4 | 5 |  28 | 20 | +8  |  22 |
| 10th  | Guiseley                  |  15  | 7 | 1 | 7 |  15 | 16 | -1  |  22 |
| 11th  | Alfreton Town             |  15  | 6 | 3 | 6 |  21 | 24 | -3  |  21 |
| 12th  | AFC Telford United        |  15  | 6 | 3 | 6 |  21 | 28 | -7  |  21 |

• 2 months later...

Wednesday 1st December 2021
Despite our form remaining very much hot and cold, the Board remain reasonably satisfied with how things are going this season, though with one notable exception. Our continued overspending on the wage budget.

Thursday 2nd December
Tenth placed Guiseley provide our next opposition, as we make the relatively short trip to the club considered by many to be overachieving with a top half spot. They're difficult to break down, though they don't score too many goals either. They actually are not too dis-similar to ourselves with that description.

Saturday 4th December

Nethermoor, Guiseley
Guiseley v York City

The wingers from last time out turn into wing backs for this trip, as we are nowhere near brave enough to believe we can out play a team like this right now. Ross McCormack is once more fit again, but the veteran is selected only for the bench at the expense of James McShane.

The home team dominated possession early on, and loanee Chris Conn-Clarke whipped in an eighth minute corner that Kaine Felix got above everyone to beat to and glance the ball into the far corner to leave us behind early on. After such a good start, they then took the bizarre decision to sit back, a mistake it would prove. Ryan Whitley's long punt down the park on the half hour was flicked on by Benjamin Kimpioka, and then nudged by Kevin Smith into the path of Clayton Donaldson who showed off his usual accuracy in front of goal to square things up. A little more than five minutes later we had turned the game around completely, Donaldson turning provider this time as with his back to goal and the defence keen to make sure he couldn't shoot again, he found the form man in space, and Kimpioka found the net again to continue his rich vein of goalscoring form! The second half saw us close ranks ourselves after Smith missed a chance to improve our lead further, and a valuable three points would accompany us back to York.

Guiseley (1) 1 - Kaine Felix (8)
York City (2) 2 - Clayton Donaldson (30), Benjamin Kimpioka (36)
Ryan Whitley; Matty Brown ©, Louie Annesley, Sam Fielding; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow; Bobby Grant (James Horsfield 72), Tyrese Fornah; Benjamin Kimpioka; Clayton Donaldson (Jack Steele 83), Kevin Smith (Ross McCormack 72).
Attendance :- 2,250

That excellent away day victory nudges us up into fourth spot as we head towards both Christmas and the halfway point of the League campaign, with only five points separating the top seven and a big game at home to second placed Chorley ahead of us next weekend.

Monday 6th December
That performance from Clayton Donaldson was enough to earn him a spot in the Vanarama North Team of the Week. With a goal and an assist on the weekend, the veteran Jamaican International striker seems to be enjoying his football right now.

Thursday 9th December
Chorley visit us on Saturday, fresh from holding leaders Darlington to a 2-2 draw at home last weekend. In fact, Chorley's second spot comes from a run of form that hasn't seen them lose in the League since a late October defeat away to the Guiseley side we have just been successful against ourselves. The bookies reach the conclusion that we are the favourites, but anyone who has been watching us this season knows full well we are more than capable of imploding at any given moment.

Saturday 11th December

York City v Chorley

I was almost very brave, knowing that Chorley would match up against us I felt the urge to push my wing backs forward as wingers to pin theirs back and try to stifle their production by forcing them to defend. But I didn't. Tactically I stayed as we were, though Kevin Smith was dropped, Ross McCormack brought back in to play behind the front two with Benjamin Kimpioka pushed up front and James McShane brought back onto the bench.

Referee for this one Richie Watkins absolutely infuriated me right from the start, refusing point blank to consider the prospect of showing a Chorley player a card despite their obvious tactic of fouling early to spoil our attempts to launch speedy attacks, midfielder Mason Goodridge the main culprit. He was only to happy to book Tyrese Fornah for the same thing though to the annoyance of the home crowd. Goodridge it would be who would send over the corner that saw us go behind right on half time, once more we are caught out on defending a set piece as Harry Cardwell found the net. At half time I made the change I should have made before the game, Michael Duckworth and Scott Barrow came off, James McShane and Gregory Tadé came on to play right wing and behind the strikers, while Ross McCormack moved to the left. We looked a completely different team, causing Chorley no end of problems and finally breaking them down midway through the half when Donaldson played in McShane on the corner of the box, and he squared it for Fornah to find the top corner from 25 yards out! There was only one winner from there, but try as we might we couldn't prise them open again, and the spoils would be shared.

York City (0) 1 - Tyrese Fornah (67)
Chorley (1) 1 - Harry Cardwell (45)
Ryan Whitley; Matty Brown ©, Louie Annesley, Sam Fielding; Michael Duckworth (James McShane 45), Scott Barrow (Gregory Tadé 45); Bobby Grant (James Horsfield 90+1), Tyrese Fornah; Ross McCormack; Clayton Donaldson, Benjamin Kimpioka.
Attendance :- 1,961

We take another step up the table into third courtesy of Curzon Ashton's away defeat to lowly Hereford. Meanwhile Darlington stretch their lead a little at the top with a home win over AFC Fylde. We don't play in the League again now until Boxing Day in the first of two games in forty eight hours over the festive period. Before that, it's the small matter of a trip to face the now second placed side in the Vanarama National, as we meet Stockport County in the FA Trophy next weekend.

• 2 months later...

Monday 13th December 2021
Twenty eight year old goalkeeper Peter Jameson has played just twice this season after seeing younger man Ryan Whitley take his spot and keep it while ascending into an influential player at the club, and one of the star players at the club (assigned by the game). So it's little wonder that Jameson is slightly non-plussed about the prospect of mentoring Whitely, a suggestion from the coaching staff with the view that it could help Whitely's agility. Ironically, the younger is keeper is quite excited by the prospect of the buddying up.

Tuesday 14th December
Despite being one of a trio of players that are dealing with concerns at the club, Ryan Whitely has today agreed a new two and a half year deal to remain at the York Community Stadium. A modest increase in wage of £25 per week taking him through to the summer of 2024 has apparently removed any issues he had, and that trio of players is now reduced to only a pair, Sean Newton and recent arrival James Horsfield.

AFC Fylde have beaten second place Chorley 3-1 away from home tonight, leapfrogging above us into third place, though we do now hold a game in hand over both clubs.

Thursday 16th December
At 7/2, the bookies are not giving us too much of a chance away to Stockport County this weekend in the Third Round of the FA Trophy. They're not in the best of form, having lost their lead at the top of the Vanarama National since the draw was made, but they are formidable at their Edgeley Park home. They have lost just twice there all season, and one of those was against Rotherham United of Sky Bet League One in the FA Cup.

Saturday 18th December

FA Trophy Third Round
Edgeley Park, Stockport
Stockport County v York City

With the knowledge from Scouting that Stockport would line up in a 5-3-2, I left us setup as we were at home to Chorley last time out, hoping that advanced wing backs would help us be able to push their dangerous wingers backwards while still being deep enough to be effective defensively.

That hope was blown away inside three minutes when we were busted open down our right, and a cross picked out the prolific Paddy Madden who opened the scoring. We did briefly threaten to make a bit of a fight of it, Ross McCormack equalising directly from a free kick in the tenth minute. But all that gave us was a hope that was entirely false. Madden was on hand to reinstate County's lead in the 16th minute after Whitley had made the first stop, and Tyreece Onyeka would extend that lead moments later with a shot from range that beat our keepers dive and found the net off the inside of the post. I withdrew us back into a modified 5-3-2 to stem the tide, which it did until half time. But then Onyeka struck once more shortly after the break to put the tie beyond doubt, while substitute Scott Quigley added to their total with a close range finish fifteen minutes from time. The gulf in quality was there for all to see.

Stockport County (3) 5 - Paddy Madden (3,16), Tyreece Onyeka (18,49), Scott Quigley (75)
York City (1) 1 - Ross McCormack (10)
Ryan Whitley; Matty Brown ©, Louie Annesley, Sam Fielding; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow; Bobby Grant, Tyrese Fornah (Jack Steele 68); Ross McCormack (James McShane 86); Clayton Donaldson, Benjamin Kimpioka (Gregory Tadé 68).
Attendance :- 3,237

We managed a goal from our only shot on target of the game. Unfortunately, we only had one other shot off target, showing the complete lack of ability to break down Stockport, who had sixteen efforts in total, half of them on target, and five of them finding the net. There's no point saying we weren't good enough, this is a game of levels, and we're not on Stockports level at this point in time.

That is it for us for Cup football this season, and now the focus is solely on earning a Playoff spot at minimum in the Vanarama North this season. We have some opportunities to recover form, with a trip to rock bottom Bradford Park Avenue on Boxing Day, before then facing bottom half Alfreton Town at home two days later in our final game of the calendar year. We'll then host Bradford Park Avenue and their League worst defence in a quick return for our opening game of the New Year.

Monday 20th December
Stockport County's reward for ending our FA Trophy participation is a long trip south to face Vanarama National rivals Yeovil Town, who had a very comfortable passage into the next round with a 5-0 away win over Hastings United of the Isthmian League South East Division. Our reward for getting thumped at Stockport is not have to go all the way down to Somerset!

Friday 24th December
Bottom of the table side Bradford Park Avenue are seven points adrift at the bottom of the Vanarama North, and haven't recorded a win in any competition since their home 3-1 win over Gateshead in mid-October. Since then their only positive result has been a high scoring draw away to Alfreton Town who we face in the final game of the year for us and at the York Community Stadium. Despite our inconsistency, the bookies have us as heavy favourites to record a Boxing Day win.

Saturday 25th December
For Christmas this year, my gift was veteran forward Ross McCormack extending his contract with the club for a further year. Despite being 35 years old now, the Scotsman has shown he is more than capable of continuing to play at this level. He does get a pay increase from £425 a week up to £600, and the news delights the fans who had been keenly aware that time was ticking down on the forwards existing deal.

Sunday 26th December

Horsfall Stadium, Bradford
Bradford Park Avenue v York City

For a third game in a row I keep the same system and lineup, aware that while today offers us a fabulous opportunity to get back into winning ways, it's also a huge banana skin of a game that really leaves us in a no win situation.

We opened nicely, keeping the ball on the deck despite the difficult playing surface, but as is often the way with us there was little cutting edge and we offered no real issues to home goalkeeper Johnny Saltmer. Instead we started to become the architect of our own problems, and were given a warning shot when Callum Gribbin's shot from distance and Ryan Whitley had to tip it onto his own crossbar. When Gribbin tried again just after the half hour mark, his shot took a huge deflection off Louie Annesley that left Whitley helpless as the ball rolled by him and into the net to the delight of the home fans. I immediately pushed my wing backs further forward, eventually subbing them out at half time as part of a three change plan that saw us move into attack mode with Benjamin Kimpioka on the right and Ross McCormack on the left. There will seldom have been a game anywhere this season where a team has dominated more than we did in that second half, but it would take us nearly half hour to level things up, Bobby Grant collecting a pass from McCormack and guiding his shot low into the bottom corner. There was only one winner from here you'd think. But despite earning seven corners in the last five minutes alone, we couldn't find a way through to net the winner, Kimpioka sending a shot wide when put through one on one in injury time.

Bradford Park Avenue (1) 1 - Louie Annesley (31 og)
York City (0) 1 - Bobby Grant (71)
Ryan Whitley; Matty Brown ©, Louie Annesley, Sam Fielding; Michael Duckworth (James McShane 45), Scott Barrow (Gregory Tadé 45); Bobby Grant, Tyrese Fornah (Jack Steele 45); Ross McCormack; Clayton Donaldson, Benjamin Kimpioka.
Attendance :- 1,844

While it could have been worse, and looked like it would be for quite some time, that result is the kind of outcome that can get a manager sacked at this level. While that doesn't look like it will be the case, the frustration of the fans will be noted at Boardroom level, and we simply have to find a way to be more ruthless rather than toothless against teams we should be easily dispatching with all due respect. We slip down into fifth spot with results elsewhere going largely against us, and our next two games, both at home, are now crucial to us getting back into our grove and maintaining pace with those clubs around us.

Monday 27th December
Bobby Grant is the only representative of the club in this weeks Vanarama North Team of the Week.

Tuesday 28th December
Right back to it then with the final game of 2021. Alfreton Town have drawn their last two League games, but are winless in six in all competitions. However we have also drawn our last two League matches, and are winless in three and have actually won only two of our last nine in all competitions, one of those wins coming in a Cup game. I need a win badly here.....

York City v Alfreton Town

Two games in forty eight hours is too much of an ask for a few of the veterans in my squad, and changes are very much needed today. Sean Newton replaces Louie Annesley at centre back, Jack Steele and James Horsfield comes into midfield for the suspended Tyrese Fornah and Bobby Grant, while Kevin Smith starts behind the front pair as Ross McCormack is amongst the substitutes. Clayton Donaldson and Benjamin Kimpioka could both also do with a rest, but both start to spread the load so to speak.

There was an element of control about our play in the opening stages, and while we failed to create much to concern Alfreton, we were making sure they were unable to cause us too many issues at the same time, largely due to our ability to keep the ball for spells at a time. As the half hour mark approached, we would manage to hit the target, Benjamin Kimpioka pulling away from a marker from a throw in, and passing inside to find Kevin Smith, the Scot scoring his first goal for the club with a beautifully placed finish. I wouldn't know it at the time, but that would be our only shot on target today. As Alfreton pushed for an equaliser as we moved past the hour mark, we switched into a counter attacking mindset, and I emptied the bench to bring fresher legs on. That included Ross McCormack, who uncharacteristically missed the target with a free kick. And for the second game in a row, Kimpioka missed a one on one late on, failing to hit the target with a chance he surely would have buried earlier in the season. With seconds left in injury time, Ryan Whitley saved the points for us, making a huge save to tip over a shot from Elliott Reeves as he broke our offside trap.

York City (1) 1 - Kevin Smith (27)
Alfreton Town (0) 0
Ryan Whitley; Matty Brown ©, Sean Newton, Sam Fielding; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow; Jack Steele (Bobby Grant 62), James Horsfield (Ross McCormack 62); Kevin Smith; Clayton Donaldson (Gregory Tadé 62), Benjamin Kimpioka.
Attendance :- 1,856

We'll have impressed likely nobody at all with that win, but forgive me for not caring, and I doubt the fans will too much either. We desperately needed that win, which moves us back up into fourth place as we head into 2022, and with a game in hand on the team ahead of us. We looked far better in defence, but just one single shot on target against a struggling team isn't a good look, and we will undoubtedly have to do better to ensure this is a successful season.

On a personal note, I have earned my Silver coaching certificate now which is pleasing. At least if I do get the sack, I could still legitimately apply for other jobs! My position with York doesn't actually seem to be under the pressure I was expecting at this point, still listed as 'secure' under the job centre section. I have at least made it into the new year, and let us see what '22 holds for the club and myself. We're almost at the half way mark of my debut season, and I've it into the New Year at least....

2021/22 Vanarama League North Division (Top Half), Up to & Including Friday 31st December 2021

| Pos   | Team                      | Pld  | Won |Drn|Lst| For | Ag | G.D | Pts |

| 1st   | Darlington                |  19  |  11 | 6 | 2 |  37 | 20 | +17 |  39 |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2nd   | Curzon Ashton             |  19  |  9  | 6 | 4 |  33 | 24 | +9  |  33 |
| 3rd   | AFC Fylde                 |  20  |  10 | 3 | 7 |  37 | 32 | +5  |  33 |
| 4th   | York City                 |  19  |  8  | 8 | 3 |  24 | 17 | +7  |  32 |
| 5th   | Gateshead                 |  19  |  9  | 3 | 7 |  27 | 31 | -4  |  30 |
| 6th   | Spennymoor Town           |  19  |  8  | 5 | 6 |  27 | 23 | +4  |  29 |
| 7th   | Chorley                   |  20  |  8  | 5 | 7 |  32 | 34 | -2  |  29 |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 8th   | Farsley Celtic            |  19  |  9  | 2 | 8 |  26 | 31 | -5  |  29 |
| 9th   | Kidderminster Harriers    |  19  |  8  | 4 | 7 |  23 | 25 | -2  |  28 |
| 10th  | Gloucester City           |  19  |  7  | 5 | 7 |  36 | 26 | +10 |  26 |
| 11th  | Kettering Town            |  19  |  7  | 5 | 7 |  32 | 26 | +6  |  26 |
| 12th  | Chester                   |  19  |  7  | 5 | 7 |  26 | 34 | -8  |  26 |

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Navelgazer said:

I am really enjoying reading this as a FMM player 

Appreciate the kind comment, and glad you're enjoying the story.

Hey, you're in the hunt. I see you lead the league in draws. Not too long ago I managed a club in the lower leagues, and we had more draws then wins, lol. But it kept us up. I'm enjoying following along. Your game descriptions make me feel like I'm there. 

• 3 months later...

Saturday 1st January 2022
So we're into the New Year, and we will start it with a home game against rock bottom Bradford Park Avenue tomorrow afternoon. Adrift by eight points at the foot of the Vanarama North as we approach the halfway stage of the campaign, don't be fooled by thinking this is a dead cert of an easy win for us, despite the bookies offering 10/1 on an away victory. We struggled badly against the same opposition going back as recently as Boxing Day. We have been making a habit of making things difficult for ourselves for some time now.

Sunday 2nd January

York City v Bradford Park Avenue

More squad rotation is implemented today as we continue to deal with the last stage of this hectic festive and New Year period. Louis Annesley returns to the back four today, with Sam Fielding pushing up into midfield to join Tyerese Fornah who returns from suspension, Jack Steele left out of the matchday selection while James Horsfield is on the bench. Also left out for today is Clayton Donaldson, the veteran forward rested as Jamie Thomas gets a rare start playing behind the strikers and Kevin Smith moves forward to join Benjamin Kimpioka up front after scoring his first goal for the club to earn us the win last time out. Michael Duckworth and Scott Barrow are moved into wing back roles rather than the winger duties they performed against Alfreton.

Our early domination provided a fairly rare early breakthrough today, nice passing down the left saw Benjamin Kimpioka leave his marker in his wake, and with the penalty box full he instead picked out the fast arriving Sam Fielding who guided a twenty yard shot through the crowd and beyond the dive of Johnny Saltmer to hand us a third minute lead. We continued to take charge of a frustratingly stop start affair, more so with Park Avenue's constant niggly fouls not forcibly punished, but our first foul of note saw Sean Newton cautioned. It wouldn't stop us doubling our lead before the half time break, Kimpioka once again credited with an assist as the cheekiest of flick on's found Kevin Smith who found the net for the second game in a row, the Scot really settling into life in Yorkshire. Kimpioka blew a chance to quickly make it three, Smith attempting to return the favour by playing him in but his partner blew his shot wide, the third game in a row he has messed up a one on one. The chances continued as Saltmer was relieved to grasp the loose ball after Louie Annesley nearly broke the cross bar with a header that crashed back off the goal frame. This was one of our more comfortable afternoons for quite some time though, a trio of changes allowing fresh legs while not making any real impact on the flow of the game either way. A late burst of activity from our foot of the table visitors yielded nothing for them, our second clean sheet in a row and only one goal allowed in our three games since Stockport battered us in the FA Trophy in mid-December.

York City (2) 2 - Sam Fielding (3), Kevin Smith (35)
Bradford Park Avenue (0) 0
Ryan Whitley; Matty Brown ©, Sean Newton (James Horsfield 70), Louis Annesley; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow; Tyrese Fornah, Sam Fielding; Jamie Thomas (James McShane 70); Kevin Smith, Benjamin Kimpioka (Ross McCormack 70).
Attendance :- 1,987

With Curzon Ashton losing away to lowly Southport and AFC Fylde not active today, we ascend into the lofty heights of second place, five points behind leaders Darlington, with a big trip to face Fylde coming up next. It doesn't appear that our fans currently have too many delusions of granduer, as they are said to be delighted with the efficiency of our performance today, and again I find myself thankful that we have managed to grind out a result without looking in anyway spectacular whatsoever. Despite missing a one on one at goal for what I believe is the third game running, Benjamin Kimpioka added a pair of assists from todays outing and now has fourteen goal involvements in all competitions this season.

Tuesday 4th January
28 year old goalkeeper Peter Jameson hasn't publicly said a great deal about being ousted from his number one slot by Ryan Whitley. His actions have spoken for him today though, as he signs a deal to leave the club and join Irish side Finn Harps when his contract expires this coming summer. Taking his £650 weekly wage off our books won't be a bad thing.

Thursday 6th January
The recent poor form of AFC Fylde means that the bookies have only made us slight underdogs for our trip there this weekend. I'm sure there is a compliment in there somewhere if I cared enough to search for it. It's a big game for the Playoff picture and either clubs ambitions of hunting down Darlington for the sole automatic promotion spot.

Friday 7th January
This might be a huge coup for the club, or we might have signed an absolute dud. 21 year old Teddy Campbell is an English attacking midfielder who has spent his entire footballing career in Spain, currently with Cartagena in the second tier though he is actually out on loan to a very under staffed Atletico Madrid side who he has appeared for just once so far. His contract is up this summer, and he would like a return to England. That return will be with us at York City, as we nip ahead of a group of Football League suitors and agree a three year deal to bring in a player we don't know a huge amount about, but is the top recommendation of my Scout and if he were put in front of us for a prospective loan we would have jumped at the chance to have. As I say, it could be a really impressive pick up.

Saturday 8th January

Mill Farm, Fylde
AFC Fylde v York City

My cautious side was on full show today as without changing the core mindset of our play, I pulled both Michael Duckworth and Scott Barrow further back again to effectively make it a five at the back today. The only change in personnel sees Clayton Donaldson return to the lineup at the expense of Jamie Thomas, taking his spot behind the strikers as I resist the urge to reinstate Ross McCormack to the starting eleven and leave him once more as an impact option from the bench.

Once more we are lumbered with referee Gibbons, who set out his own intent for this match early by booking Tyrese Fornah within four minutes. However just two minutes later we were in front, Sam Fielding cutting the home defence open down the left to play in Benjamin Kimpioka behind them, and he rounded on loan keeper Matthew Turner and slotted home his finish, the ref getting out his card again to book home captain Luke Burke for his protests that our forward was offside. Our good start continued as we dominated the ball possession and pressed for a second goal, Fielding, Michael Duckworth and Scott Barrow all missing the target with efforts from range. As the fussy ref continued to book players, and having resisted the urge to bring off Fornah at half time after he had luckily escaped a second booking for a blatant shirt pull, I made the switch for James Horsfield early in the second half. The sub them floated over a free kick that saw Burke hold down Barrow for long enough that the ref spotted it, and after some hesitation pointed to the spot, though he also decided against showing Burke a second yellow too. Kevin Smith stepped up, though he saw Turner fling himself to his right keep out his penalty kick, the Scot winning the race to the rebound but blasted it high and wide of the target! That saw the momentum and tide of the game start to switch, Ross McCormack quickly getting booked after coming on for Smith. Before I could make a fundamental change, sub Nathan Shaw picked out striker Jack Sampson with a 78th minute cross and the latter sent a powerful header home to level the score. My immediate response was to have what we held, changing us into a counter attacking set up that would see us through to a point on the road today.

AFC Fylde (0) 1 - Jack Sampson (78)
York City (1) 1 - Benjamin Kimpioka (6)
Ryan Whitley; Michael Duckworth, Matty Brown ©, Sean Newton, Louis Annesley, Scott Barrow; Tyrese Fornah (James Horsfield 54), Sam Fielding; Clayton Donaldson (Bobby Grant 85); Kevin Smith (Ross McCormack 74), Benjamin Kimpioka.
Attendance :- 885

We're supposed to be a 'big club' in this league, but I had no qualms at all about making sure we escape from Fylde with a point in our pockets. We remain second, though now only on goal difference after home wins this weekend for Curzon Ashton and Gateshead. That missed penalty may prove vital later down the line, though in fairness to Kevin Smith it was a very good save as opposed to a poorly struck spot kick.

We have three games left in January, and they are all big ones. Each of our upcoming opponents are in or around the Playoff picture as we prepare for visits from AFC Telford United and Gateshead, with a trip to Kidderminster Harriers sandwiched in between coming up in the next update. We're unbeaten in the League since mid-November now, but in the seven League games since that defeat at Curzon Ashton, four have finished in draws.

On 14/02/2024 at 10:26, dtown1414 said:

Hey, you're in the hunt. I see you lead the league in draws. Not too long ago I managed a club in the lower leagues, and we had more draws then wins, lol. But it kept us up. I'm enjoying following along. Your game descriptions make me feel like I'm there. 

Thanks for following along, I'm glad you're enjoying the story. We're certainly keeping ourselves in the hunt at the sharp end, time will tell if the draws will cost us at the end of the season I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

Thursday 13th January 2022
I think it has been a while since we have been made favourites for a game, but that's the position we find ourselves in going into the weekend and our home game with fellow Playoff contenders AFC Telford United. They currently sit eighth, one spot and two points behind Kettering who occupy the final Playoff berth right now, though Telford do also have a game in hand. We're the short price favourites, but this is one of a trio of tough games to finish off January.

Saturday 15th January 2022

York City v AFC Telford United

With the Fourth Round of the FA Trophy taking centre stage today, this is one of only four League games taking place. That gives us an opportunity to move away from some of the clubs behind us, though leaders Darlington are also in action. Ross McCormack joins Benjamin Kimpioka up front in place of Kevin Smith in the only change in personnel. There is a slight tactical reversal as Michael Duckworth and Scott Barrow move back up the park into their wing back roles.

Ross McCormack buried a chance into the side netting with less than thirty seconds on the clock as we started fast. Really fast, as a minute later Benjamin Kimpioka was also played in, and he lashed an effort into the top corner to give us the early lead. The game settled after that frenetic start, and Michael Duckworth was lucky to avoid a booking when he took one for the team midway through the half and grabbed a handful of jersey to break up a counter attack, eventually being booked on the half hour when he did the same again after losing possession on halfway. But shortly after that a free kick into the visitors penalty box resulted in an almighty goalmouth scramble, Kimpioka and McCormack both having close range efforts blocked before the ball span to Clayton Donaldson, and there was only a partial block this time that wasn't enough to prevent our second goal! United had failed to have a shot at goal of any kind in that first half as we dominated possession, but when Scott Barrow received an early second half booking, having both wing backs on cautions made me feel pretty uneasy. As I was planning to do something about that, Scott Fielding got himself booked as well, and my double change became a triple substitution and a setup I wasn't all too confident with but had little choice. As it was the tactic of blocking the centre of the park and allowing United to throw the ball from the wings into the middle where we held a numerical advantage worked absolutely fine until two minutes into injury time when Adam Coomer picked up a clearance and drilled it through the crowd and into the bottom corner. Too little too late for Telford today though.

York City (2) 2 - Benjamin Kimpioka (2), Clayton Donaldson (34)
AFC Telford United (0) 1 - Adam Coomer (90+2)
Ryan Whitley; Matty Brown ©, Sean Newton, Louis Annesley; Michael Duckworth (James Horsfield 65), Scott Barrow (Bobby Grant 65); Tyrese Fornah, Sam Fielding (Kevin Smith 65); Clayton Donaldson; Ross McCormack, Benjamin Kimpioka.
Attendance :- 1,944

That 92nd minute shot on goal was the only effort that Telford managed all day, regardless of being on target or not. That's a very impressive defensive effort from a unit that has improved that area of the game hugely over recent weeks. They'll face a tough test next time out though, as we travel to face Kidderminster Harriers who have today thumped leaders Darlington 4-0 away from home with all four goals in a twelve minute spell in the first half to propel themselves up the table and level on points with a cluster of clubs in and around the lower Playoff spots.

For our part, we remain second, now only two points behind the league leaders on a day where Benjamin Kimpioka got himself another goal and assist in a man of the match performance from the on loan forward who now has twelve goals and five assists in all competitions. The unfortunate part is that we simply are not going to be in a position to make his loan from Sunderland permanent I'm afraid.

Tuesday 18th January
Unsurprisingly forward Kimpioka is included in the Vanarama North Team of the Week selection this time around. More of a surprise is that there is only one Kidderminster player included.

Thursday 20th January
The bookies have very much covered themselves going into this game in the Midlands, making us favourites at 5/4 at Aggborough but still very aware of what Kiddeminster can do after their weekend demolition job on Darlington. We are of course very aware that they are going to be brimming with confidence after that win, but it is their only win in five games and we have already beaten them twice this season, including a 2-0 win at Aggborough in the FA Trophy.

Saturday 22nd January

Aggborough, Kidderminster
Kidderminster Harriers v York City

I elect not to change a winning side for this trip down into the Midlands, though I do once more reverse the change of formation I made last time out, moving my wing backs back into the full back roles and making a back five that we are led to believe will match up with our hosts.

The first half was largely short of action, with the main talking point being the leniency of todays referee Ben Atkinson, who took well over half an hour to finally book Geraldo Bajrami despite the Kidderminster players repeated attempts to get a yellow card far earlier than that. The official didn't continue that way after the break as Matty Brown and Tyrese Fornah for ourselves and Mark Carrington of the Harriers all quickly had their names taken after the restart. While there were yellow cards aplenty, shots at goal were very much at a premium, but when one came along in the 66th minute it would find the net, Josh Hinds breaking our offside trap and sliding his shot beyond Ryan Whitley to give the home team the advantage. I pushed my full backs up into a more advanced position as we attempted to be more attacking, but Whitley's attempt to play sweeper keeper with the clock almost at ninety was almost disastrous as he lost the ball outside his box, Ollie Hulbert's effort missing the open goal however. We failed to register a single shot on target ourselves, and suffer defeat in the League for the first time since mid November.

Kidderminster Harriers (0) 1 - Josh Hinds (66)
York City (0) 0
Ryan Whitley; Michael Duckworth, Matty Brown ©, Sean Newton, Louis Annesley, Scott Barrow; Tyrese Fornah, Sam Fielding; Clayton Donaldson; Ross McCormack, Benjamin Kimpioka.
Attendance :- 861

That was disappointing, and I may have to concede that I was overly cautious in that one with my concern that Kidderminster might do to us what they had done to Darlington a week ago. Every day is a school day as they say. The defeat has damaged morale in the dressing room though, as well as damage to our position in the National North League table as both AFC Fylde and Curzon Ashton move above us as we slip to fourth.

Thursday 27th January
And our schedule doesn't get any easier either, as we complete January with the visit of a Gateshead side that are level on points with us and only one spot below in fifth. We have met once this season, a goalless draw at the International Stadium back in early November. They have struggled to find much consistency over the season so far, a problem we can empathise with ourselves. The bookies probably had to have a top level meeting to try and make the odds for this one, but they have decided we are the favourites.

Friday 28th January
I wasn't actually planning on making any personnel changes for tomorrow, but now I don't have a choice as on loan midfielder Tyrese Fornah has damaged his foot in training today and is ruled out for three weeks. 

Saturday 29th January

York City v Gateshead

James Horsfield is drafted into the side to replace the injured Tyrese Fornah, and Jack Steele returns to the matchday squad for bench duties. Oh, and yes, you guessed it, Michael Duckworth and Scott Barrow are pushed back up into the wing back roles. It's one degree, and chucking down with rain. Welcome to York in late January.

On a day like today, maybe route one is the best option? It certainly worked for Gateshead in the sixth minute as a long clearance didn't even touch the grass before Paul Blackett unleashed a spectacular twenty five yard volley into the top corner to give the guests the early lead. They should have quickly made it two, a deflected strike from a team mate fell to an entirely unmarked Luke Williams in the box, but he sent his shot wide of a relieved Ryan Whitley's goal posts. We were struggling, James Horsfield and Michael Duckworth collecting bookings as we threatened to be over run, and when Horsfield committed another foul in first half injury time, I was sure he was going to get his marching orders. Thankfully the ref took no further action, allowing me to replace him at half time, where I also took the opportunity to ask my players to go more direct and swapped Ross McCormack and Clayton Donaldson around, hoping having the strength of Donaldson as an upfront target man would help us out. It didn't really have the desired effect though, Louis Annesley nearly putting the ball into his own net dealing with a Alex Nicholson cross. Later at the other end, Donaldson was finally proving more of a handful, winning an attacking free kick that Ross McCormack saw deflected off the wall, one of his last acts before making way for Kevin Smith. The frustration amongst the home faithful was mounting, Sam Fielding added to the list of cautioned players, but no one adding to the list of players with a shot on target. As the game entered it's final moments Gateshead made changes that only encouraged us to throw players forward. And we did, first Annesley getting a header at goal from a cross that Jacob Chapman had to clutch at the second attempt. Then with the clock showing us into the sixth minute of four added on, Benjamin Kimpioka got behind the defence, only to see visiting skipper and defender Robert Tinkler get enough on his tackle to move the ball away from our forward as he was about to shoot. That's two defeats in a row now, and we have returned to our own inconsistent ways.

York City (0) 0
Gateshead (1) 1 -
Paul Blackett (6)
Ryan Whitley; Matty Brown ©, Sean Newton (Gregory Tadé 90+1), Louis Annesley; Michael Duckworth, Scott Barrow; James Horsfield (Jack Steele 45), Sam Fielding; Clayton Donaldson; Ross McCormack (Kevin Smith 64), Benjamin Kimpioka.
Attendance :- 1,787

This is the frustration that we have dealt with all season. Two steps forward, but we finish the month with a big step backwards as we lose two games on the bounce and will now end January in fifth place having been as high as second only a few weeks ago. Maybe having so many draws wasn't such a bad thing after all. 

We are of course very much in the Playoff race, and have a five game February ahead of us. We'll start with a trip to lowly Blyth Spartans as we look to get back to winning ways, before returning home to face Playoff rivals Curzon Ashton. Trips to Kettering and Chorley will follow before we finish the month at home to Guiseley.

2021/22 Vanarama National League North Division League Table - Up To & Including Monday 31st January 2022

| Pos   | Team                      | Pld  | Won |Drn|Lst| For | Ag | G.D | Pts |

| 1st   | Darlington                |  24  |  12 | 9 | 3 |  43 | 29 | +14 |  45 |
| 2nd   | AFC Fylde                 |  24  |  13 | 4 | 7 |  42 | 34 | +8  |  43 |
| 3rd   | Gateshead                 |  24  |  13 | 3 | 8 |  38 | 37 | +1  |  42 |
| 4th   | Curzon Ashton             |  24  |  11 | 6 | 7 |  40 | 31 | +9  |  39 |
| 5th   | York City                 |  24  |  10 | 9 | 5 |  29 | 21 | +8  |  39 |
| 6th   | Kidderminster Harriers    |  24  |  10 | 7 | 7 |  29 | 26 | +3  |  37 |
| 7th   | Spennymoor Town           |  24  |  10 | 6 | 8 |  32 | 29 | +3  |  36 |
| 8th   | Gloucester City           |  24  |  9  | 8 | 7 |  43 | 29 | +14 |  35 |
| 9th   | AFC Telford United        |  24  |  10 | 5 | 9 |  37 | 38 | -1  |  35 |
| 10th  | Boston United             |  24  |  10 | 4 | 10|  42 | 29 | +13 |  34 |
| 11th  | Kettering Town            |  24  |  9  | 7 | 8 |  45 | 34 | +11 |  34 |
| 12th  | Hereford                  |  24  |  8  | 9 | 7 |  31 | 30 | +1  |  33 |
| 13th  | Chester                   |  24  |  8  | 7 | 9 |  29 | 39 | -10 |  31 |
| 14th  | Farsley Celtic            |  24  |  9  | 4 | 11|  30 | 41 | -11 |  31 |
| 15th  | Guiseley                  |  24  |  9  | 3 | 12|  24 | 28 | -4  |  30 |
| 16th  | Chorley                   |  24  |  8  | 5 | 11|  35 | 42 | -7  |  29 |
| 17th  | Brackley Town             |  24  |  8  | 5 | 11|  29 | 36 | -7  |  29 |
| 18th  | Southport                 |  24  |  7  | 7 | 10|  35 | 37 | -2  |  28 |
| 19th  | Alfreton Town             |  24  |  7  | 7 | 10|  34 | 40 | -6  |  28 |
| 20th  | Blyth Spartans            |  24  |  7  | 5 | 12|  28 | 32 | -4  |  26 |
| 21st  | Leamington                |  24  |  6  | 7 | 11|  29 | 39 | -10 |  25 |
| 22nd  | Bradford Park Avenue      |  24  |  3  | 7 | 14|  28 | 51 | -23 |  16 |