Left back is always the worst player in my games

Hi everyone.

I play in a 4-3-3 tiki taka and my left back as a complete wing back. This role is very important on my team because is the one that do all the left side of the pitch, because my left wing is going to more central positions.

The problem is that my left back has always the worst rating in my games ... I think the higher rating any player playing that position had was like 7.0. ( the average rating is like 6.5 or worst)

I have changed players 3 times (in that position) in one season and the 3 have have a average rating (in all season) less than 6.70... 

My team is playing very well (only 1 defeat and 1 draw during all the season), average possession is 63% and is the team with most goals scored in the league and less conceded. The only position that always has very bad ratings is my left back (playing as a complete wing back).

In that position I have Tsimikas, Riquelme and Ramon (all players with good attributes for that position). I think this might be a bug but I don´t know ... 

Somenone can help me ? 

Are you getting good ratings with your complete wing backs ?

Thanks to everyone.

1 minute ago, fc.cadoni said:

6.8 is the new average. 7.0 playing really well. 6.5 playing ok. 6.2 time for bench.

6.2 has been my traditional threshold for "haul off and drop" but I am definitely seeing it more often this year. 

1 minute ago, pdmalcolm said:

6.2 has been my traditional threshold for "haul off and drop" but I am definitely seeing it more often this year. 

When a game start and player make a mistake in area where the weighting of rating a player is high (for example bad tackle for defender); will start with low rating and will be harder to handle the situation or recover and playing better.

So, for me the first 25 minutes of the game; it’s clear if X player gonna play well or average or have a terrible game (which gonna be a sub soon or later).

To OP situation: Sounds to me that AI have a good idea where you build up from the back and it’s cutting you off.

For example, a left back player has limited passing options from a central defender. This will led to him to hoof the ball with a high amount of unsuccessful passing which gonna lower his rating, player will start play bad and will be harder to start playing well - recover.

No, AI does not learn your tactic, but it’s gonna see you start playing or having key things from his Data Hub. The same tools you have at your disposal, the same tool AI have in his/her disposal.

1 hora atrás, pdmalcolm disse:

What individual instructions do you have set? What are you asking the winger in front of him to do? 

All in, with 36 wins in a season, I'd probably shrug my shoulders and crack on. 

These are my instructions of my left back and winger.

image.png.94d196d637fc2ef32d9e5e24c8a36d7c.pngimage.png.0ca6d78ea8ded472decba34a90d778c0.png

1 hora atrás, Grifty disse:

I always struggled getting full backs to get a good average rating. Ending up changing my formation so I don't use them no more!

In others FM games (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021) this wasn`t a problem for me. I always loved playing with attack full backs but I think this is a fm22 problem. Even in offensive 1x1 situations my full back always go backwards and pass to another teammate. Never try do drible the opponent. In defensive and possession situations I think they are ok, but 1x1 offesive situations are a problem in Fm22 in my opinion, even to Riquelme (left back that I have with 16 driblling 16 technique and 17 Flair and 16 Accelaration).

1 hour ago, Bernardo Araújo said:

In others FM games (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021) this wasn`t a problem for me. I always loved playing with attack full backs but I think this is a fm22 problem. Even in offensive 1x1 situations my full back always go backwards and pass to another teammate. Never try do drible the opponent. In defensive and possession situations I think they are ok, but 1x1 offesive situations are a problem in Fm22 in my opinion, even to Riquelme (left back that I have with 16 driblling 16 technique and 17 Flair and 16 Accelaration).

Is your CWB good enough technically and mentally to be a complete wing back? Have you tried him as a normal WB?

1 hora atrás, isignedupfornorealreason disse:

My full backs are fine, and my left back (WB/S) is often my best performer.

My weakest area in terms of rating is my central midfielder, an AP (S) who always gets 6.2-6.5 without fail. It is fairly alarming and I'm concerned I might have to change the role.

My Righ Back is playing WB/S too and he plays well. The problem is the complete wing backs. I think it´s almost impossible to put one player having good ratings in CWB. Probably it´s a bug in this year`s FM.

I went to see the stats of others CWB like Alexander Arnold and Vanderson (one of the best CWB in my game) and they don´t have good ratings too. Seeing the assists, Alexander Arnold only has 5 assists in 28 games and Vanderson 1 assist in 11 games... too bad for a CWB and so so far from the reality. I think I´m going to report it.

21 hours ago, Bernardo Araújo said:

My Righ Back is playing WB/S too and he plays well.

Is your setup a complete mirror on left side/right side? I use different roles, and therefore its easier/harder to find room and play a good match as cwb depending on what the rest of the team is doing.

Its definitely not a bug, its just that cwb doesnt mean advanced wb, its a very different role. Dani alves was a cwb, roberto carlos not so much. Cafu also not a cwb. very advanced positions on the pitch, but very different tasks being asked of them.

The ratings put a lot of weight on cross completion. I assume your cross completion from fullback is usually fairly low, and they don't get many assists and don't usually have much defensive work to do. Additionally your CWB is asked to play a lot of risky passes (which he probably does all the more for not having many non-risky options when he's high up the pitch and his winger is forward and narrow), so all in all he probably gives the ball away a lot and only occasionally directly assists or registers a key pass.

To be honest, who cares about the ratings if you're winning. But if you want them to get better ratings, you probably want less crossing or more support from (e.g) a Mezzala

7 horas atrás, zindrinho disse:

Is your setup a complete mirror on left side/right side? I use different roles, and therefore its easier/harder to find room and play a good match as cwb depending on what the rest of the team is doing.

Its definitely not a bug, its just that cwb doesnt mean advanced wb, its a very different role. Dani alves was a cwb, roberto carlos not so much. Cafu also not a cwb. very advanced positions on the pitch, but very different tasks being asked of them.

Yes you are right, and I want my left back to play just like Dani Alves with Pep Guardiola´s Barcelona. 

It´s not mirror. I play with my Right back as a IWB/S and my Left back as CWB/S. 

4 horas atrás, enigmatic disse:

The ratings put a lot of weight on cross completion. I assume your cross completion from fullback is usually fairly low, and they don't get many assists and don't usually have much defensive work to do. Additionally your CWB is asked to play a lot of risky passes (which he probably does all the more for not having many non-risky options when he's high up the pitch and his winger is forward and narrow), so all in all he probably gives the ball away a lot and only occasionally directly assists or registers a key pass.

To be honest, who cares about the ratings if you're winning. But if you want them to get better ratings, you probably want less crossing or more support from (e.g) a Mezzala

Yes I think it´s exactly what you are talking about. In this fm we don´t see a lot of assists from full backs (as I said earlier even Alexander Arnold had only 5 assists in one full season (League, Cup and Champions), and the cross completion is very low.

I have a similar issue but with wing-backs in a narrow 5-2-2-1. Sometimes they play well, often they don’t. I think in my case, I am asking them to play a very demanding role (as CWBs) as the only wide players in the tactic - and therefore it’s almost inevitable that they aren’t going to be brilliant every game. I need absolute superstars in those positions to get consistently strong performances and right now, I can’t afford those. As I develop my team and we get better players in all positions (so we have more possession, create and put away more chances, etc.), I am hopeful that the average ratings will rise. But for now I think I need to accept that I am asking a lot of these players and they won’t be brilliant every game.

11 hours ago, Bernardo Araújo said:

Yes you are right, and I want my left back to play just like Dani Alves with Pep Guardiola´s Barcelona. 

It´s not mirror. I play with my Right back as a IWB/S and my Left back as CWB/S. 

So it's not a matter of whether he's a LB or a RB, but how the players around him are set up. But most likely he's just not good enough to be a complete WB though, its a very specialized role.

3 hours ago, itszamora said:

But for now I think I need to accept that I am asking a lot of these players and they won’t be brilliant every game.

I have come to this exact conclusion myself when it comes to FBs/WBs, they often perform best when put on a simple FB role and asked to do just the basics and everything else he does is a bonus!