[Suggestion] Less opaque promise requirements

Decadoice

A lot of players, myself included, do everything possible to avoid any promises except the very clearest ones (like send on a language course) because it's not always possible to figure out what exactly you're promising. I genuinely don't know anyone who thinks the current system works well, and the subreddit is constantly full of players complaining or confused about the promises system.

For instance, when you promise a player to strengthen a part of the team and then sign a fantastic wonderkid, that often doesn't count. It's usually not clear why.

Instead of trying to read the mind of a player about what they actually want, why not make those promises much clearer. 

For instance with "strengthen area" the requirement would be that you bring in a player in that position who gets an average rating of X over at least Y games. That's a player who clearly strengthened the team, so it should count, even if the player who wanted the promise wasn't convinced by them at the start.

If the promise is just based on reputation, make that clearer, by having the promise be "Bring in a player in position X with reputation Y" 

Basically there shouldn't be any "black box" promises that require figuring out what the AI wants, because the AI often doesn't think the way we would. Instead promises should always be measurable goals, so we know ahead of time if we can fulfil them.

On that note, if we promise to try to sell a player, the option to agree a reasonable price with the player should always be given, and if we don't reject any offers that meet that valuation, the player shouldn't take a morale hit and claim we didn't live up to our promise. If we do everything reasonable to make a move happen, we fulfilled our promise. The game already gives this option sometimes, and usually the player will be understanding, but there are still times that doesn't happen and it's absolutely infuriating. Whether or not we fulfil a promise shouldn't be a game of chance.

Once I promised a player I would strengthen midfield when I signed them.

So after they started looking at the contract I put an offer in on a midfielder I had in mind anyway. (Easy promise to keep, I figured.)

The process to sign the midfielder was completed before the player I agreed the promise with decided to sign.

And the promise was considered unfulfilled. And most of my transfer budget was gone. I spent the January window putting loads of bids in for right-wingers to fulfil this, but none ended up signing for various reasons. And player I originally signed - who was the star of my defence now - insisted I transfer list him for a loss.

It was ludicrous.

• 8 months later...