Tyler's issues with FM. Minor issues. Match engine... Again.

tylerB

Since match engine is a mess, it generates unrealistic stats. I already told you that I once saw 56 attempts made by the opposition in full-time stats. Do you know what the all-time record for top five league is? 47 attemps in one game. Atalanta against Empoli, season 2018/19. But it is an absolute anomaly. In general a dominating side makes around 15 attempts per match. It is a lot. In FM the dominating side will have at least 20 shots. It is a starting point. In most cases there's gonna be more. Like 30 is absolutely not a problem. Full time possesion stats can also be really weard. Like a team playing 10 men for 75 minutes manages somehow to control the ball for 67% of time. Or you see your team constantly attacking  (attacking not counter-attacking) and in the end you have only 35% of possesion. What is actually happening between the highlights? Is it central defenders passing the ball to each other?

Another problem is bookings. A probability of a player recieving a yellow heavily depends on what part of the match it is. No referee wants to get himself into a corner, so it is unlikely that he will book a player in the first 15-20 minutes, unless he has no other choice. He will talk to a player and save cards for later. In the game a booking on minute 1 is something that I see regularly.

And at last goalkeepers. I have never seen them commiting a foul or recieving a yellow card for time wasting. Not a single time.

Suggestions

1. Test the match engine until it starts to generate realistic stats. If you see stats like 35 shots/20 on target (for one team, not combined) in a match between same division teams – something is definitely off. Do it again!

2. Collect the data on minutes on which yellow cards are usually recieved. You will have a lot of cards on 85+ minute and very few cards in opening 10-15 minutes. Add the data into match engine odds. Just like activating "get stuck in" mode increases odds of a booking, current minute should also either increase or decrease these odds.

3. Make goalkeeper commit fouls. Plain and simple.

• 9 months later...
  • Administrators

Thanks for taking the time to input your feedback. These ideas have come up before and has been passed on to the design team. They may be rejected or with further development make it into a future iteration of FM. Thank again. :)