What's wrong with this guy?!

CaptCanuck

Bought this guy as a promising youngster and things have just not worked out for him. It was a cheap purchase and it's not messing with my plans/squad or anything, but after a couple promising loans, including in the Premier league, interest in him has tanked over the last couple years, to the point he'll be released on a free at the end of this season.

He's just languishing on the u23s poor fella and I handed him off to my DoF to see if he can find a home for him, but no one wanted him.

I guess some players are just like this, but are there any things to check to try and figure out why.

image.thumb.png.c93382bef7304ce0b3e21f64ec8ab450.png

image.thumb.png.537aef3643db04a91d71b69ecf126f7c.png

looking at his profile he's described as a midfielder but his technical's dont suit that role. probably better as an inside forward but again despite V good Dribbling, Finishing & First touch the rest of his technical stats let him down. 

also he is on a high wage for an U23 squad player. he might be looking for unrealistic wages to move. wouldnt be surprised to see him picked up on a €5k wages once he contract ends by a lower div team 

5 hours ago, Staf9 said:

looking at his profile he's described as a midfielder but his technical's dont suit that role. probably better as an inside forward but again despite V good Dribbling, Finishing & First touch the rest of his technical stats let him down. 

also he is on a high wage for an U23 squad player. he might be looking for unrealistic wages to move. wouldnt be surprised to see him picked up on a €5k wages once he contract ends by a lower div team 

That's a fair point on the wages I hadn't thought of that (especially in 2038 when the senior squad is full of 150k/w guys) - if the level he may end up at is Championship or back in Scotland. I'll definitely have to pay attention to what he ends up on when someone eventually picks him up.

Am I the only one who thinks his stats are good for a 23 years old and he could be a decent squad option? Though in 2038 you probably have way better players than him ( I don't, how I'm even still in the EPL, idk.). Try selling him to a championship team and pay a part of his wages maybe.

^He got no nibbles in the summer and now after putting him on the unwanted list and still getting nothing, he can ride out the season with us. When I bought him I had a tactic with a SS and I thought with his decent physicals, OTB-TW-WR + Dribble-Finish-1st Touch he could grow into that role. But my recruiting outpaced his growth so he never really got a look in - but he strikes me as definitely good enough for the a lower 1/2 continental team or a top 1/2 Championship team.

It's almost Jan, so I am going to bring him into the senior squad and start him against Aldershot in the FA Cup and see what happens. We should thump them one way or the other. If we look in good enough shape for the title with 5 matches left, I will bring him on as a sub to get him a winners medal.

• 2 weeks later...

So finished the season and a week after his release, since he's not getting any interest, I thought I would check in and ask his agent how things are going. I can now see why he's struggling to find a club :stop:

3738_OhBrian.png.d008db79c018da6a5a45fb6811fa8b56.png

Edited by CaptCanuck

16 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

So finished the season and a week after his release, since he's not getting any interest, I thought I would check in and ask his agent how things are going. I can now see why he's struggling to find a club :stop:

3738_OhBrian.png.d008db79c018da6a5a45fb6811fa8b56.png

Ask him to fire his agent?

56 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Yeah you misunderstand me.. fire his agent... the new agent might not be as demanding... he might be offered out for less and get some offers

Ah gotcha that is interesting - can I still do that via the discuss options after he's been released? If so I will definitely give that a go.

15 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

Ah gotcha that is interesting - can I still do that via the discuss options after he's been released? If so I will definitely give that a go.

ohhh i hadnt seen you released him...  no you can only request he do it if he's on your books

That player attributes seems to be a good fit for a poacher, pressing forward or advanced forward. His attributes doesn't seem to fit on any midfielder role, maybe the problem is the media description as midfielder

On 23/01/2022 at 12:48, Welshace said:

Ask him to fire his agent?

Hello mate - sorry to hijack this thread - but how do you ask a player this? I'm trying to renew a contract of a player (Martinelli) and I don't want to agree to his greyed out 'Preferred position'... thanks dude