[Suggestion/Discussion] Personas - Variable Options in Interactions Dependent Upon Career Choices

anagain

I will start by saying that I don't know if this is already a thing in the game. Maybe it is. Maybe a manager gets options more often in press conferences or chats dependent upon their stats or the chocies they have made before.

But here is the idea:

I would like to see managers get different answer options in Press Conferences/Chats etc dependent upon their stats or the choices they have made in previous interactions.

For example, at the manager create stage of the game I ascertain what sort of manager I am and that will affect my stats. I usually chose to be a motivator rather than a tactician.

Under my idea I would get better options to motivate my players but not maybe be as convincing when it comes to delivering a tactical idea. Under this design there could be more interaction between the team and a coach/assistant manager designated to be the key man for tactics.

In press conferences I might get different answers when asked questions regarding my tactical approach than a manager that is known for tactics. One of my preferred chocies in press conferences currently is, when asked why I play the tactic I play, I will say that I pick what wins games. A tactical manager might get answers that focus on what they get from members of their team; a more technical answer.

Let's be honest here. One of the areas where FM gets stick is that people believe the press conferences get stale after a while. I'm not personally convinced. I enjoy the press conferences but I do recognise that there are questions that don't seem to make sense at the time. There have been many times where I feel like answers I am given are not answers my style of manager would give in the real world. FM seems to have one blanket type of manager when it comes to press conferences and talking to players.

Some might say that FM shouldn't go in the direction of an RPG - because I am well aware this harkens to design choices in games like CRPGs (Baldur's Gate etc). However, I just believe that an idea like this, if worked on and fleshed out, could add a great deal of depth and variation to FM's interactions modules. A manager would have the ability to further refine how they manage their teams and make a name for themselves as the best tactical coach or a great motivator?

Can you be a Sam Allardyce and motivate your players to beat the drop or will you be a Pep or Bielsa and know the tactical side of the game inside out? Are you a tracksuit manager, like Eddie Howe, that gets stuck in to training or a suit man, like Scotty Parker, with words of inspiration and a charismatic manner?

Somewhere I got the inspiration for this was in shouts during the game - something I made a post about in General Discussion. I have a young striker in my team who is not hitting the highs I believe he is capable of. He had a slack first half in my last game. At half time I told him to show me what he is capable of. He played a blinder of a second half.

I think it'd be cool if FM allowed me to be the great motivator who is able to use shouts like that, or personal chats, to really get the best out of youngsters by inspiring them. Likewise, for the tactics gurus out there, let a manager inspire a solid, experienced player with their tactical knowledge.

Thoughts?

• 8 months later...