Close to giving up

Yes, another thread damning the tactic system in this game.

I have been a huge fan of the FM series, and even when I was struggling with tactics, I did eventually conjure up one which worked.

But so far with this FM, with my tactics, my teams have performed in a shambolic manner.

I have started probably 6 or 7 times afresh with Spurs, after becoming frustrated.

I said to myself that I wouldn't be downloading any other people's tactics, no matter how good they supposedly are, as when I have done it before, I have lost a bit of that satisfaction after winning a game.

Saying that, I have probably tried every major tactic on here, along with reading that 50-page tactic guide (which is brilliantly written, but the fact that it is around, shows that this game has lost alot of fun and accessibility for the normal working football man). But even those tactics, and ones I have created after reading the guide, have been rubbish for me.

I enjoy nearly every other aspect of this game, but the tactical side, which was my favourite part of the previous games, is now becoming a real pain in the arse.

No matter what type of system I use, the opposition run through my defence like butter. My players always seems to get out-muscled by the players they are marking. And the vast majority of the goals I do score, come from set pieces.

What is going on?

Rant over

I understand your problems, so before you give up on fm, try my set.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64672

Already have mate, and read through your guide and tried to implement it as best I could. But even with players like Srna, Arshavin, Veloso, Palombo etc., I was still relying mainly on how I set up my set-pieces, which is pretty much the only thing I seem to be good at when it comes to tactics.

Already have mate, and read through your guide and tried to implement it as best I could. But even with players like Srna, Arshavin, Veloso, Palombo etc., I was still relying mainly on how I set up my set-pieces, which is pretty much the only thing I seem to be good at when it comes to tactics.

Are you doing team talks yourself? If so try letting your assistant handle them.

Are you doing team talks yourself? If so try letting your assistant handle them.

I do, still nothing mate.

Not dissing your tactics, as I see you and many others have had success with it. And you put alot of effort into your thread too, which is a great thread.

But maybe I'm cursed LOL

To me personally, the Spurs are the hardest team to manage in FM09 as the squad isn't gelled at all. I've tried them myself, ended up giving up after 9 games resulting 6 losses and 3 draws.

Must say that buying even more players for that team does only wrong to it. The best attempt I've seen with my own eyes was my lil' brother who managed to achive 8th place in the end of the first season with Spurs, having not brought a single player and relying only on youngsters from the reserve squad to fill up the gaps.

As gelling is the main issue with Spurs, I can advise you to select more leagues at the start (include Spain or Germany), select the Spurs as your team, then set the start date from Spain or Germany as they start a month early then England. Then be smart in your friendlies and make a lot of them. You need wins and good scorelines, so make them even vs. lower league opponents. Trash in as many as you can and don't worry about injuries as they just always happen. That "system" has worked out with me for Blackburn, thou I already had a pretty well gelled team. Nearing the end of season 2 now and I've only brought 7 players so far in total. Big names doesn't always give you the result. Arshavin in particular in my save is awful in adapting his sorry butt into english football. Man City broght him in the first season, then sold him to Spurs for half the money they payed and now he's in Pompey for half the money Spurs payed for him. Great stats, prolly one day he'll be great in the PRM, but until then - I'd go for Valter Birsa or someone less ... russian :D

In a long run team talks are very thin line on which you need to walk. Maintaining a streak is near impossible. Currently I'm on a 25 matches unbeaten and my last 3 have been all 0-0 draws. Can't give you advise on that thou as I think I'm incompetent enough.

Spurs in season one are pretty much the hardest team to manage in the EPL, the starting team has no gelling ata ll, if you bring in players it only makes matters worse, settle on a nice tactic, try to play tight and write off season 1, im nearing the end of season 1 and things are looking up, the team still needs a lot of work, but the gelling problem has gone . im going to finish between 7-9th in season 1, and with the state of the team at the start im very happy with that

Make sure you don't sign any players, because spurs start with a massive gelling problem, man city too. Yet I see people in the spurs and city threads signing at least 5-10 players, which is crazy considering all the new players already there. Im afraid you will have to accept that Ramos and Hughes have made the signings for you, and you will have to wait until the end of the season before changing the squad a bit.

moj, your tactic not working for spurs.. I think i will just stop playing this stupid game.. I loved fm07 and 08 but 09 sucks big time!

tottenham are the hardest team to manage in fm09 IMO, they have no rapport with each other, no connection, no one works with each other, no matter what you do, no matter how good you are, you can't fix that with a tactic, it will takes months for the team to work together :)

Well I did sell and buy alot of players, mainly due to have poor plays attribute wise, but also Citeh offering me mad money that I couldn't reject.

Maybe it is a good idea to start with a more established side, cheers for the feedback peeps, I'll give it one last shot

Archived