Who to buy or.. how to choose your players for next transfer windows when you are winning

Hello everybody,

I am opening this topic for what could be considered a silly topic.. but actually is happening to me.

I am playing a long term save with Bayer 04 and I have built all my strategy on youth development. The main reason is that budget is not so big and immediate transfers are simply unaffordable.

After some (many) years I have finally been able to have a good team which is easily winning Bundesliga and cups and.. surprise, the board decided to give me, for the first time, a super budget of 100M for transfer market.

So now I have got the money.. but.. I do not feel really necessary to buy anybody since my team is really doing well, but it would be a pity to waste such a good occasion to become unbeatable :).

In this (strange) situation what could be the best option? Do all in on a world-class player or buy a ton of young guys for the future? From game-mechanics point of view is there any area which should be the first choice?

Thank you!!

Edited by Stobby84

From a game-mechanics point of view, you buy the 15-20 best wonderkids you can and just keep stacking each year. 

But sometimes it's more fun buying that one wingback with good dribbling and crossing left in your save, or that one midfielder who is just better than everyone you have. 

I usually go for the youth anyway BUT theres always something fun about spotting that big name signing your main rivals have been sniffing around, and blowing them out of the water to sign that player instead :D

On my save City were after Haaland, so I signed him.... They went after Bellingham... so I signed him too :D

When that happens to me I normally spend the bulk on 1 or 2 top young players who are ready to play straight away  - the guys who normally cost about £50m or so - to fill a gap on my team. The rest goes on continuing the plan of buying young and building the players up.

I try and keep it simple.

If I haven't scored the most goals in the league - I'm looking at forwards and creative players to replace what I have.

If I haven't conceded the least - I'm looking at GK, defence and defensive midfielders.

Other than that, I'm looking at money spinners and depth players- either good players with a few years left in the tank that have expiring/expired deals, or young players I can offer some game time/development to and spin off at a profit (or use to replace someone in the team as they age).

As an example, I picked up Zakaria and Zagadou on frees in Season 2 or 3 and sold both on for around £25m, netting me a £50m profit in 12 months for two players who accepted contracts as squad players.

Thank you very much for your inputs!

In the end I have chosen an hybrid approach so I stacked some wonderkids and I had the satisfaction of buying that 5 star player that I missed :)

Thank you Jackk! for the tip on the GK. I usually have the tendency not to spend too much time on this player but it has been a good move for my team (to buy a new one).

It is really impressive how GK impacts on the game (also in RL, of course)

Only sign players that can walk into your first team and make it better. I never add more than two at once and it's awhile before they both play at the same time. Cohesion is big. Pay attention to group dynamics too and nationality. The lone new Norwegian might have some time settling in in a team of S. Americans. However most Brazilians seem to be able to adapt into most any squad.

But yeah, wonderkid hunting and getting them bedded in and familiar with your tactics for at least a season (if you can get your youth managers to pick them! but that's another issue)