Pragmatic Football - Bringing Mourinho-inspired 4-2-3-1 to FM22

After a good chunk of a season i am ready to send my tactic, this is what i worked on, the carrilero has no special instructions as he is acting as the dlp  and anchor acts as it bwm, only special instrctions are on wb and fb to be wider and narrower. I would like to know if you think it truly shows the usual 2 holding midfielder roles that Mou portrays. And in a 2 holding midfielder would both dlp and bwm be on defense variety  or one on su and one on de ?

image.thumb.png.c2bbfe950e9509bff2c264e7e61dd661.png

Edited by Mourinho_Mastermind

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Mourinho_Mastermind said:

After a good chunk of a season i am ready to send my tactic, this is what i worked on, the carrilero has no special instructions as he is acting as the dlp  and anchor acts as it bwm, only special instrctions are on wb and fb to be wider and narrower. I would like to know if you think it truly shows the usual 2 holding midfielder roles that Mou portrays. And in a 2 holding midfielder would both dlp and bwm be on defense variety  or one on su and one on de ?

image.thumb.png.c2bbfe950e9509bff2c264e7e61dd661.png

You don't need to have a player on Defend duty for him to be a "holding" midfielder. It is only the question of player's behavior in space in relation to other players around them. For example in this tactic, a carrilero would have "positive" individual mentality meaning that he will play more reserved and tend to hang back when compared to super aggressive CM(A). But carrilero will not always sit back like the DLP(D). He will be much more progressive in his defending and will even join the attack when opportunity presents itself. In any tactic, I like to stagger my midfield players in this way. Pair one Attack duty with Support and Defend. So there is more variety in their behaviors and movements. They also compliment each other better, especially when you pair up players with varying skill sets. 

Edited by crusadertsar

19 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

Always enjoying your writing @crusadertsar it’s so helpful and it’s fun to try it out.

Question: I have a strong and slow TM, a creative and aggressive  fast AM a strong fast IF and a quick IW.

at the moment I am close to your tactics. FBs left WB right REG left VOL right

my front line is IFa AMa IWs and TMs up front. Which works well but often we miss a goal. Would you play all three behind the TMs in attacking duties?

It very much depends on the rest of your team set up. I would play all three with attack duties but then I would probably drop Team Mentality to "Balanced" or even "Cautious"

Thx @crusadertsar for your reply. The mentality is balanced already. I am fine tuning your ideas implementing them to a German 2nd division side.

I have to try it and see what happens after all I need to play to my players strengths. 
I notice that my players have very high ratings and my team has the best chances but fails to grab the goal but concedes the dirty header out of a set piece.

for example: the REG got a POM performance with 8 key passes despite losing the game 0:2

Edited by HanziZoloman

2 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

You don't need to have a player on Defend duty for him to be a "holding" midfielder. It is only the question of player's behavior in space in relation to other players around them. For example in this tactic, a carrilero would have "positive" individual mentality meaning that he will play more reserved and tend to hang back when compared to super aggressive CM(A). But carrilero will not always sit back like the DLP(D). He will be much more progressive in his defending and will even join the attack when opportunity presents itself. In any tactic, I like to stagger my midfield players in this way. Pair one Attack duty with Support and Defend. So there is more variety in their behaviors and movements. They also compliment each other better, especially when you pair up players with varying skill sets. 

Will do, i finished the season with Leipzig and it was a fun time, i have decided to run my midfield with an achor car and cm at in the end and it worked perfectly imo, still gotta perfect my players as i do not have a strong spine yet but i am hopefull. Will try the dlp-de with bwm-su duo in the latter seasons if  i will shift to a 4231

The changes were simple: I noticed that my defenders had difficulties with crosses and headers, there was always the one that went in and I just switched to standard wide in defense to receive less crosses in the box. 
apart from that my team likes to play on the front foot (had 4 years of Gegenpress) and played more dangerously with higher LoE and DL. I like to switch it both back on standard when we score our first goal together with more disciplined.

our frontline is now IFa CFa IWa and AMs behind. It’s working out superb 

4 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

The changes were simple: I noticed that my defenders had difficulties with crosses and headers, there was always the one that went in and I just switched to standard wide in defense to receive less crosses in the box. 
apart from that my team likes to play on the front foot (had 4 years of Gegenpress) and played more dangerously with higher LoE and DL. I like to switch it both back on standard when we score our first goal together with more disciplined.

our frontline is now IFa CFa IWa and AMs behind. It’s working out superb 

Nice balance of roles and duties! 4-2-3-1 is perfect for high intensity, pressing football 

vor 5 Stunden schrieb crusadertsar:

Nice balance of roles and duties! 4-2-3-1 is perfect for high intensity, pressing football 

It’s not. It’s looking like the pragmatic approach you describe here. ;) (Really)

mentality is balanced. I like your approach in just upping LoE / DL or VOLa for more urgency toward a goal. I learned a lot here, again. Are you finished here or will there be more to share from you?

best funfact: my CFa is from Ivory Coast ;)

Edited by HanziZoloman

9 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

It’s not. It’s looking like the pragmatic approach you describe here. ;) (Really)

Can be both. Really depends on the Team mentality and instructions. The beauty of a good 4-2-3-1. Little tweaks here and there can make it play really different :brock:

• 2 weeks later...