How can I set up a mid block?

I have been looking to transition my teams from high pressing/ high line for a while now but I don't seem to be able to find the right balance to a mid block, anytime I have tried standard DL and standard LOE with medium pressing it hasn't worked.

What out of possession changes would you make to this tactic? It usually works fine when going against teams in the same division, even the stronger ones in the league but not after promotion or in the cups.

1418553435_FMDOWNLOAD.jpg.bbaab3f19d08fdeb52950ec5b809091e.jpg

Decrease LoE and and DL. LoE as standard relative to the DL makes it more vertical compact. Remove Prevent GK Short as this will compromise your mid block. If you are using OI be careful with trigger press for opponents defenders and goalie.

Leaving all the pressing instructions blank has always worked for me. Sometimes I also hit prevent short GK distribution, this way in settled defence you can hold shape and conserve energy, but when the ball goes to their keeper, it's much easier box them in and force a turnover if they try play out the back with a keeper who can't make a good pass.

I feel like the positioning of the players matters, so a 4-1-4-1 with a Higher Defensive Line is perfect for a mid-block (some other formations like 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 deep, 3-5-2, 4-5-1 are also great). If you are using a top heavy formation (a 4-2-3-1 for example, with 2 CMs), it might be better suited to a high block, as the players are already positioned higher by default (but they can also work with a mid-block if set up correctly).

Edited by (sic)