CM act as FB/WB Cover in build up phase.

6 hours ago, _mxrky said:

Not really. You can them like a third cb with an offset cm-d or so but not actually in the wing back spot.

I know Arteta has done what you are looking for a few times irl

Yeah exactly and Klopp do it with both CM’s but rarely with DM.. should maybe be a role or PI you could add 

You can set a CM in defense or a DMC with the PI of staying wide when in possession. That way he will take the vacated space once the FBack goes up. Another option is to use the Carrilero, wich sole purpose is to provide wide cover when in retreating shape. You just have to set the Fb to look for overlap so that he doesn't go up when the carrilero is out of position.

9 hours ago, Ramsdal03 said:

Haven’t seen that role drop that deep in build up. How have you make the role do that ? 

Hmm, I have 3 in midfield and a player who's normally a playmaker who does this, I put him as a carillero to the left side and covers the wb when he goes up, he doesn't get extremely deep just deepish behind the wb after he has overlapped.

Before this thread I was convinced the Carrilero was the role for this and always used it in my tactic as I wanted it to to the same thing as you - cover for the full back, however this thread as caused me to look closely at it and it doesn’t do that all as it gets too far forward.

I’ve now gone with a basic centre mid on support with hold position and stay wider and works a lot better.

17 hours ago, Hilly1979 said:

I’ve now gone with a basic centre mid on support with hold position and stay wider and works a lot better.

Could be because part of the Carrilero role is to move the ball between back and forward lines, he's often called water carrier. So by moving upfront he wants to be closer to the ball and be ready to carry it. By the way, I've seen Spanish explanation of this football term and it mentioned it's primarily offensive player. I assume in FM he's coded to move vertically a lot.

Basic CM won't have any behaviours like that hard coded so I'm not surprised it works better with a few tweaks.

9 hours ago, right_winger said:

Could be because part of the Carrilero role is to move the ball between back and forward lines, he's often called water carrier. So by moving upfront he wants to be closer to the ball and be ready to carry it. By the way, I've seen Spanish explanation of this football term and it mentioned it's primarily offensive player. I assume in FM he's coded to move vertically a lot.

Basic CM won't have any behaviours like that hard coded so I'm not surprised it works better with a few tweaks.

Watching the player movement, the Carrilero actually does get forward a lot and if there’s room joins the box. So makes sense it’s a offensive player 

23 hours ago, Ramsdal03 said:

Watching the player movement, the Carrilero actually does get forward a lot and if there’s room joins the box. So makes sense it’s a offensive player 

That's not my experience with a Carrilero at all, he provides support, he mainly sits as a first option kinda like a wide playmaker and I've never seen my player in the box. He has the necessary positioning, but no off the ball, so he is never into situations like the one described.