attempting an around-the-world journeyman save but what's actually possible?

Hi, I'm playing FM21 with extra modded leagues from around the world. I started in the US Virgin Islands Premier League and have done well, then the opportunity to manage the national team came up and I took it. Now I want to think about going to a different club in another continent (Oceania, so lots of amateur and semi-pro teams to choose from) but won't even get an interview from some very low rep. teams.

I need to definitively know so I can plan my future: does having a national team job count against you when applying for club jobs? On previous journeymans I've attempted it seems to be the case that it counts against you but I haven't confirmed it yet. Disappointing if so.

Also what is the best way to get yourself across continents and different nations? Any hidden reputation boosters out there other than just winning? The US Virgin Islands is a very basic league with not many fixtures so I can't really stand to do like 5 seasons here.

I've not tried a journeyman in FM22 but I believe teams, especially small-rep teams should be more willing/likely to give the human player an interview as it holds back the concept otherwise. I know when you are unemployed your agent/secretary shows you jobs you'd likely be hired for, you should have the option to turn that on for journeymans too so it's easier to plan the next move without resigning.

Edited by properdisco

I guess it also depends on what your starting experience is, if it's low and start there you're gonna have to build your own reputation up before clubs from abroad will even notice you let alone offer an interview or job.

Other than that I'm not aware of anything else, hopefully someone else can shed some light on this 

20 hours ago, properdisco said:

does having a national team job count against you when applying for club jobs? 

Yes.

Wow, that was an easy question to answer.

Note: I should say that it's easy for me to answer because I've overseen a journeyman challenge for a few years and have experimented the butt off these kind of questions.

It's possible this has changed in FM22. I've personally not done much of a journeyman save in FM22. I didn't spot a difference. Nobody else that regularly does a journeyman save has reported a difference in the challenge, but if SI did adjust this or even remove this tendency, I can't be certain that we'd identify it straight away. Being offered jobs is always somewhat unpredictable. Every year people get offered jobs that are surprising, but I don't know if that's the game or them, well, cheating.

However, as it was the case in FM 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21 and we haven't noticed a difference, I think the answer is indeed, yes.

Edited by vikeologist

I appreciate the responses. I did actually get to my destination of Fiji while still holding the national team job. Winning some minor continental cups against the odds boosted my manager's reputation enough to make the jump to semi-pro. The Fijian team did ask me about my international commitments in the interview but it didn't stop me getting the job, so that tracks that it's something that technically counts against you, like having a history of resigning, but is not a deal-breaker. It should also be easier to make moves now that I actually have a paid contract with an expiry date rather than a month-to-month.

I think you can still plan out these journeyman careers but looking at the reputation of your manager and trying to match that with your job applications will be key. The around the globe megapack is awesome for this as there'll always be options at every level in many nations. Trying to skip a few steps/punch too much above your weight which I've done before is not good; even in the unlikely event you get hired, the players will be so dubious about your qualifications that it could derail the whole thing.

Still curious if there's some other ways to get noticed in different countries, such as: bringing in a player from that nation, playing a club from the nation in a match/playing the national team if you have a national job as well.

I've been looking at players from Asian nations who might come to Fiji. I know that if you sign certain Asian nationalities, Japan for example, in Europe the game tells you something about increased visibility/marketability in that nation. I wonder if you can get some of that attention/notoriety if I managed to bring a Japanese player to a lower rep. league such as Fiji. Of course I wouldn't expect the same attention as bringing in full internationals who would play in the Champions/Europa League, but it might be a factor. The main reason I'm thinking this is because the last time I actually tried a journeyman I only ever got one job offer that I didn't look for: I was in the Bundesliga and had a few Croatians in the squad and Croatia offered me the job. Almost certainly because I employed Croatians as I had no history of working in the country itself. So player nationality must matter to your manager's visibility, but obviously it was a Bundesliga/CL team so these Croatians were in the national team with high reputations.