80s Style European Competitions

1 hour ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

There you go @Rob 396, I'm in my first season and this is the quarter final stage 1st leg. Red Star have one foot in the semi finals , and they had beaten Rangers on penalties in the previous round! Crucial away goals for Man City and Chelsea.

ec quarter finals.jpg

Absolutely love this, mate

I think ultimately the Bayerns and Cities will wipe it at the Semi sort of stage each year - but hopefully as time goes on, the odd random team can poke it's head through

I can't wait to start as a non-big league team and win this

Vojvodina I reckon - break that Partizan/Red Star duopoly, then the world!

5 minutes ago, Rob 396 said:

Absolutely love this, mate

I think ultimately the Bayerns and Cities will wipe it at the Semi sort of stage each year - but hopefully as time goes on, the odd random team can poke it's head through

I can't wait to start as a non-big league team and win this

Vojvodina I reckon - break that Partizan/Red Star duopoly, then the world!

Oh btw, I've had a tinker with trialling a 3/way UEFA Super Cup league for the 3 main comps - 1 round, 2 games, host stadium, top team wins

Edited by Rob 396

6 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Correct. I can't say for sure what will happen if you run the file as is in 22.3 version in a new save. Might be that it crashes, might be that it starts pulling extra teams to make up for the missing Belarussian and Russian teams.

On the back of what you said there @Wolf_pd, I ran a holiday save using the 22.3.0 80s file on the 22.4.0 database. It's ran for 9 seasons and nothing untoward has happened. Russian and Belarussian teams are being selected for the continental competitions. 

1 minute ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

On the back of what you said there @Wolf_pd, I ran a holiday save using the 22.3.0 80s file on the 22.4.0 database. It's ran for 9 seasons and nothing untoward has happened. Russian and Belarussian teams are being selected for the continental competitions. 

Then the editor file overrides the European exclusion.

Do we think then that it is the European Competitions which will need to be rebuilt to allow Russia and Belarus back in rather than the nations themselves? Assume the nations would need rebuilding anyway for the world cup & euros?

I have just updated my file and currently just started to test it with a holiday save. I have 2 files: 1 with Belarus and Russia , and 1 without. The latter has the competitions re-built at the qualifying and first round stages. This is what is being tested right now. The former file is my 22.3.0 file just activated for 22.4.0. I tested that for 9 seasons with no crashes. The competitions played as they were in 22.3.0. I will upload that for anyone who wishes to use those 2 nations with 22.4.0 update. I did not have to re-build the competitions to include them, which surprised me a little. I have done nothing to the actual Nations in either file. 

I've uploaded 2 files in the opening post. One without Russia and Belarus and the other with them. The one with Russia and Belarus is explained in the previous post. 

The file without Russia and Belarus also means they will not be hosting any finals. I have run a test save up to 2041. All competitions ran correctly. 

The European Cup now has 53 teams competing. The European Cup Winners Cup has 52, and the UEFA Cup has 118.

I  hope you enjoy using whichever file you choose. Any issues feel free to post them in here. 

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer

3 hours ago, svangaskar said:

Dutch cup is not active in this patch:(

I think Appy Ammer will need to create a supplementary Netherlands file, I'm pretty sure that the 1st round draw for the KNVB Beker depends on the Europa League being drawn

I think it's within the Stage Actions / dependencies part of the Advanced Editor

Right, I've followed @Rob 396's advice and created a separate Dutch file. You were quite right, it is dependent on the Europa League being drawn. I have changed things about, and now the Dutch Cup is working. But the UEFA Cup is now fooked! It is registering 8 teams per country, and the ghost qualifiers returned. Changing the Dutch file triggered something to go very wrong. The registered teams section is blank in the UEFA Cup, which will have something to do with it. That will need rewriting. I am going to have to experiment around with this. Bear with me and I'll see if I can get things working properly.

The save I have been playing will now be binned. I am p@@sed off (But also thankful @svangaskar)

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer

I am stopping for the night, thoroughly deflated. I am seeing things I did not see before and I have decided to take down the 2 files. I have overlooked the amount of teams that are being selected to play in a competition before the qualifying round is drawn. There are multiple entries from many countries. I can see how some of it is happening but not all and my head is now spinning! The Dutch file did not create all the problems I am seeing now as I just started a save with just my European file, and many errors are there. Disappointed is an understatement. 

I decided to create a Dutch file for 22.3.0 database to see if that works and to see if Euro comps are working correctly as they were before. Alas no, the Euro files are well messed up. So the Dutch file I created has messed about the Euro file.

And to top it off... I don't know how but now I cannot select the Dutch nation when trying to set up a save on 22.4 or 22.3. I can select it but the divisions are blank when I try to select what divisions are playable. I think I've managed to corrupt the game. I may have to verify my files to see if things are working. What a nightmare.

And a side note....Any particular reason why SI have chosen to change the Netherlands back to Holland?

Right, after a mini meltdown, I have uploaded 3 files. As before one has Russia and Belarus included, and the other doesn't. The third file is the Dutch Cup fix. Without this file the Dutch Cup will not begin. (Many thanks to @Rob 396for pointing me in the right direction, and to @svangaskarfor highlighting the issue.

(The many problems I uncovered the other night were actually down to 2 conflicting separate editor files. My files, Dutch problem apart, were not broken. :)

As usual any issues please say here.

In the European Cup, how does the game pull in and then seed the defending champion?

While looking at your editor file, I don't see the last winner being explicitly drawn into any of the rounds and that sort of leads me to assume (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the title holder is pulled in to fill an empty slot at the first chance there is. This isn't really that big a deal in the setup that you have created but right now I'm trying to tweak it a little to add a group stage before the quarterfinals, which, depending on how groups I end up making, might add another qualifying round and potentially even a preliminary 4 team thing the way it exists today. What I'm worried might happen is that the defending champion might be assigned the lowest seeding value by default and I might end up with Chelsea playing Folgore and Prishtina...

3 hours ago, woow123 said:

In the European Cup, how does the game pull in and then seed the defending champion?

The reigning champions are given a seeding of 0 as I've shown in the screenshot. Then in European Champions Cup > Stages > Stage 1 > Teams you will see that I have "Get Qualifed Teams For Comp,0,9". So there are 9 top seeds (0) being entered into the first round. The preliminary round has 44 teams in. All those teams are seeded 1. Hope that helps.

seeding of last years winner.jpg

1 minute ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Hope that helps.

It definitely does. Yesterday I saw the "blank" top ECC row you have highlighted and didn't know what it meant (thought it meant nothing and was some placeholder). That's great. Do you know what team the game uses as the fallback if the reigning champion qualifies as a domestic winner? 

18 minutes ago, woow123 said:

It definitely does. Yesterday I saw the "blank" top ECC row you have highlighted and didn't know what it meant (thought it meant nothing and was some placeholder). That's great. Do you know what team the game uses as the fallback if the reigning champion qualifies as a domestic winner? 

It takes the next place in that nation's league.

52 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

It takes the next place in that nation's league.

Alright, thanks. And thank you for giving me all this help even though it's effectively helping me massacre your creation. 

I have added this to the known issues in the opening post...

• About 4 or 5 European leagues have an end of season split, that divides top and bottom, and sometimes middle. These 'middle' mini leagues are designed as a European playoff for qualifying for the Europa League or Conference League. Consequently they are pretty pointless now as the UEFA Cup placings are taken from the final league positions. Nations where there are waste of time splits are Belgium. Bulgaria, Finland, and Romania. Everything still works, there are just no rewards for winning these mid table end of season mini leagues.

This is something I spotted last week. The Bulgarian league extends by 2 teams after the first season. The relegation split for some reason replaces the bottom team with a random lower league Bulgarian team. I can't fathom why it does that. Not a game breaker for me. The league works correctly after season 2. Just be aware of it if you play in Bulgaria and your team is rock bottom after 26 matches!!!!

1 hour ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Consequently they are pretty pointless now

Pointless? Yes.

Out of place in an 80s football world? Not necessarily. lol

Spain did this (picture) in 86/87... for some reason... Every team played every other team in their group twice. There was pretty much no reason why any of the games in the middle tier should have been played at all. It was all doubly pointless because midway through the season they decided that next year the league would be expanded and the bottom three teams in the relegation group wound up playing a double round robin 3-way relegation playoff for one relegation spot... 400780817_ScreenShot2022-04-06at15_14_12.thumb.png.6f90e19c8142697b43318d1e78b606fb.png

Edited by woow123

• 3 weeks later...

I have created a Belgium file that removes the pointless euro qualifying end of season mini league. I have an end of season spilt after 2 rounds. Bottom half and top half. Each team play each other once after the split, totalling 42 games in the season. There's a relegation playoff with the 2nd team from Eerste Klasse B. 

• 5 months later...