FIFA Club World Cup 7 team format

The new 24 team FIFA Club World Cup format that is due to come to fruition in a couple of years is a complete and utter disaster. I have read how some even make the tournament extinct so as not to be bothered with it. I am releasing my version of the current 7 team format tournament. I did not rebuild the tournament from scratch but instead edited the version that SI provided. I have got rid of the 24 team tournament and reinstated the 7 team tournament on an annual basis. 

Here is what is provided: 7 teams (6 continental champions and 1 host nation). Playoff, Quarter Finals, Fifth place playoff, Semi Finals, Third place playoff, and a Final. It is played each December and I chose not to run the tournament during the 2022 World Cup year.

I have, however, ran into some issues that I could not resolve, but it was live with it or carry on with a crap tournament every 4 years! I chose to live with it and have fun!!

Known issues: 

• Chelsea for some reason enter at the quarter final stage in the 2021 tournament. After that everything is fine, and UEFA and CONMEBOL enter at the semi final stages forever and a day.
  • The host nations list that I drew up is not being used. I don't know why. The game chooses the hosts itself each year. This does mean that there will be some tournaments when a major nation hosts the FCWC, and therefore a major team will enter at the playoff stage. This does however have the potential to create a massive semi final contest. 

I have tested up to 2108 with no crashes, and I am quite happy with it. Russia and Belarus do not host a tournament, and cannot qualify via continental competitions so will never enter the fcwc.

If you do share this file anywhere, please do me the courtesy of a credit. Thankyou and enjoy.

*** This file is for 22.4.0. ***

FIFA Club World Cup annual 7 team version (22.4.0).fmf

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer
updated file for 22.4.0

1 hour ago, HugoLazgo12 said:

wow you manage to edit some competitons just in order not to messed up in future years

anyways how did you edit it european football competitons and how is supposed to work

Hi, not too sure of what you're asking me @HugoLazgo12. I edited the databases using the advanced rules. Many months of fumbling about, with lots of trial and error. God knows how the likes of @Carlito85and others alike manage to produce the quality files that they do! What is it you need confirming with regards "how is supposed to work" part?

35 minutos atrás, \'Appy \'Ammer disse:

Hi, not too sure of what you're asking me @HugoLazgo12. I edited the databases using the advanced rules. Many months of fumbling about, with lots of trial and error. God knows how the likes of @Carlito85and others alike manage to produce the quality files that they do! What is it you need confirming with regards "how is supposed to work" part?

damn you work too hard to edit this one from months of trial and error

i wish SI will fixing the errors that FM editor have made

3 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Chelsea may be coming in at the QFs if they're in the competition "registered teams" or whatever it is, as long as that's enabled (or maybe regardless) they may be hard-coded to come in at a specific stage number

Is a strange one as they would come in at the semi finals with the vanilla version. I have them seeded to start at the semi finals. It all works after that year. The problem may have something to do with ofc did not enter a team as they were a New Zealand team and due to the pandemic withdrew. Minnows, AS Pirae, were nominated instead. I tried to replicate that by making the editor choose them to represent OFC. It just seems to have screwed up the Chelsea round entry as well. 

On 21/02/2022 at 05:16, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Is a strange one as they would come in at the semi finals with the vanilla version. I have them seeded to start at the semi finals. It all works after that year. The problem may have something to do with ofc did not enter a team as they were a New Zealand team and due to the pandemic withdrew. Minnows, AS Pirae, were nominated instead. I tried to replicate that by making the editor choose them to represent OFC. It just seems to have screwed up the Chelsea round entry as well. 

I was wondering if maybe the semis are "stage 2" in the vanilla version, but that in your version "stage 2" is the quarters. Then they'd be hard-coded to come it at stage 2 in the first version in this scenario. Anyway it would take a bit of shuffling to properly test, maybe not worth it. Try deleting them from "registered teams" on the competition itself (not the rules) too.

7 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

What ended up working?

The first file I had done I was forever having Chelsea enter at the QF stage in the first season. They now enter at the semi finals as they should do. In 22.3.0 testing I had problems with Chinese teams entering too often when not a host. I readjusted the Team selection criteria for the 7th team. It's been running overnight. No crashes. Competition playing each year. It is working :)

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer

On 25/02/2022 at 22:29, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

The first file I had done I was forever having Chelsea enter at the QF stage in the first season. They now enter at the semi finals as they should do. In 22.3.0 testing I had problems with Chinese teams entering too often when not a host. I readjusted the Team selection criteria for the 7th team. It's been running overnight. No crashes. Competition playing each year. It is working :)

I just meant what did you change in the DB/code that allowed for it to happen. But it sounds like it's fairly complicated setup so I might not understand without being familiar with everything else that went into it. Anyways, the important thing is its working as intended! :)

16 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

I just meant what did you change in the DB/code that allowed for it to happen.

I'm trying to think what I did now! Off the top of my head, I changed a couple of things. The seedings weren't correct. I had a 4 in there that had no relevance whatsoever. Due to the OFC having suspended competitions for 2 years, that was causing confusion with getting the right teams to enter in the early rounds. Instead of instructing the editor to enter AS Pirau for the first year only, I decided to go into the OFC champions league history and actually put them in as a winner of the last competition. I then removed the special instructions. That way the game just followed the rules as they would have been originally, without a pandemic, and just picked the last winner of the OFC champions league. This in itself seemed to fix the Chelsea problem. So I sort of stumbled into a solution! 

• 2 weeks later...

My early files still had lots of errors in them. It was only the last published one that I got anywhere near close to being right, as I managed to get Chelsea to enter at the semi final stage. I'm not sure why you would get that error message if you've only changed the finances. Check the teams section of stage 0. Have these been cleared by mistake? If you re-downloaded the file and altered the finances a second time, would you still get that message I wonder ? 

Thx, I check this later, file with teams section in my file had a team count of 7, I also copy my list to your file and edit money prize, then I saved it and it was loaded in FM without any problems, but I was not sure if such a move would destroy FCWC comps in the future. As I edited the cash prizes in your file from this topcic it works fine after simulating one season.

11 hours ago, Godlike12 said:

Do you plan update to 22.4.0?

Maybe, if I can guarantee no Russia or Belarus hosts. I have been looking into this this evening and unfortunately the editor doesn't give me such an obvious option to choose. There is always a possibility that the SI instructions will drip feed into edited databases. ie if they have hardcoded that those 2 countries will not host major competitions then it is possible they will never host the fcwc in my file. With them both being excluded from European competitions they won't qualify as a continental winner, so it's just the host thing I am monitoring.

I am running a test now and will leave it running tonight and whilst I'm at work tomorrow. So far 5 seasons in and I've had Dubai, South Korea, Armenia, and Greece as hosts, with no tournament running during the world cup year. Fingers crossed.

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer
grammar

10 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Maybe, if I can guarantee no Russia or Belarus hosts. I have been looking into this this evening and unfortunately the editor doesn't give me such an obvious option to choose. There is always a possibility that the SI instructions will drip feed into edited databases. ie if they have hardcoded that those 2 countries will not host major competitions then it is possible they will never host the fcwc in my file. With them both being excluded from European competitions they won't qualify as a continental winner, so it's just the host thing I am monitoring.

I am running a test now and will leave it running tonight and whilst I'm at work tomorrow. So far 5 seasons in and I've had Dubai, South Korea, Armenia, and Greece as hosts, with no tournament running during the world cup year. Fingers crossed.

That's good to know, thanks for the update and fingers crossed!

Ok, good news. I have holidayed a test save until March 2108. Now either I've been incredibly lucky or SI have actually blocked Russia and Belarus from hosting any tournaments in edited databases. I did not add any extra instructions in the editor, other than dabbling with the stadium hosts, but the game is ignoring those instructions! So as far as I can see this works as intended for 22.4.0.

Enjoy using it and if Russia or Belarus do host a tournament, then I was unlucky not to see it crop up. You can let me know here. :thup:

33 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Ok, good news. I have holidayed a test save until March 2108. Now either I've been incredibly lucky or SI have actually blocked Russia and Belarus from hosting any tournaments in edited databases. I did not add any extra instructions in the editor, other than dabbling with the stadium hosts, but the game is ignoring those instructions! So as far as I can see this works as intended for 22.4.0.

Enjoy using it and if Russia or Belarus do host a tournament, then I was unlucky not to see it crop up. You can let me know here. :thup:

That is great stuff, thank you!

• 1 month later...

Does this file works for the original FM 22 patch? the 22.0?
Sorry if there was an older version of tis file here before, i'm just noticing your post now...
I'm working in a custom database based on the original patch and it would be great if i could load your traditional world club 7 team file at the same time.
Thanks in advance!

No this version is for 22.4. 

BUT.... you can try this.... Load the file up in the editor using the 22.0 database option. Then save the file. This will then allow you to use the file with 22.0. However.... Best run a holiday save to ensure it works. Off the top of my head, I can't think why it would not work.

This is my steam download for the original database. I can't remember if that file had Chelsea entering at quarter finals instead of the semi finals in the first season. It was ok after that if I remember rightly.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2754833776

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this file.

Since I like to play in Brazil and I don't want to face two europeans I have edited your file and removed the host team and selected to the tournament be hosted in one of countries from the participating teams, it's working nice. I selected some rules to stadium and seems if the Oceania host do not have a stadium good enough for it the tournament is played in England.

It's not the best, but works for my savegame :)

On 28/05/2022 at 01:11, F J said:

Thank you for this file.

Since I like to play in Brazil and I don't want to face two europeans I have edited your file and removed the host team and selected to the tournament be hosted in one of countries from the participating teams, it's working nice. I selected some rules to stadium and seems if the Oceania host do not have a stadium good enough for it the tournament is played in England.

It's not the best, but works for my savegame :)

As long as you're enjoying it @F J

• 4 months later...
On 06/10/2022 at 01:12, Jorgen said:

So is Moscow/Zenit only in the used screenshots (30/31 and 35/36), but not in the most recent version?

Yeah, those screenshots are from earlier versions of the game. 22.4 would stop their inclusion. My European file would still include them but that may not be to your fancy as it is the old style European format. 

On 05/10/2022 at 21:21, Ominous77 said:

Awesome work!

Any chance of doing something like this for FM21? Or at least a guide on how to do it?

Thanks!

I won't be doing an FM21 version but you can easily do it yourself. (assuming you have fm22 that is!) If you load the file into the FM22 editor and then literally copy every page of it into the FM21 editor you should get a working version for yourself. I am assuming though you have both copies of the game. It would be time consuming but pretty sure it would be possible.

On 11/10/2022 at 06:16, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I won't be doing an FM21 version but you can easily do it yourself. (assuming you have fm22 that is!) If you load the file into the FM22 editor and then literally copy every page of it into the FM21 editor you should get a working version for yourself. I am assuming though you have both copies of the game. It would be time consuming but pretty sure it would be possible.

I see.

Yeah, I'm trying (I'm in FM17) but I can't figure out how to create a FCWC-like tournament since it's a Continental rule but without a continent.

How did you do it?

Thanks.

Blimey, it has been that long since I fiddled around in the editor, I have forgotten the ins and outs of it. I just had a quick play around, and I got into advanced rules for the FCWC by doing this.

• Once editor loaded, in Database tab, click Competition and select FCWC
  • Then change the Nation to Spain (for this example)
  • Add Nation (eg Spain)
  • Click Add Lower Divisions And Cups to Existing Structure
  • Convert To Advanced Rules
  • In List, you will now see all the Spanish competitions plus the FCWC (there are 2 entries in FM22)
  • Remove all the Spanish competitons leaving just the FCWC file you want to edit
  • Remember to remove the nation and Continent from the database entry of the FCWC that you changed at the start.
  • Save the file and you should now have advanced rules access to the FCWC for you to change what you need to

Good Luck. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...