FM21 how reliable is player value?

can i rely on this value to set my selling price.

my first choice GK wants to leave and his value is £300k. so i set an asking price of £600. he has 3 years left on his contract and he's a decent championship standard player. i feel this price is too low as i wont be able to replace him for this price.

i also struggle when i get offers for my youngsters i am not sure what is a good price for them.

i am sure this has been asked before so please point me to the correct thread. search results were off topic

The prices you'll get are influenced many so many factors. How are they performing, are they transfer listed, what's their potential vs CA, how are you performing,... Hard to say.

My usual tactic is to offer a player to clubs without a value, then putting a value on it and then isting them - one at a time until one works. I often get stuck with a player though... I sometimes wish clubs would come after my high-performing players more so I'd finally get some money in.

i get you, i guess form plays a part as well. I've noticed players progress chart swinging wildly when their stats have not changed at all except for missing a few games.

also noticed AI buys high potential players and leaves them in reserves to rot. wouldn't really care but i lose out on the sell on fees i was hoping for lol. 

Think about this in real life, how much is a player actually worth? This would be what a club are prepared to pay. The FM numbers are guidelines, clubs with players under contract may not want to sell so may ask for a crazy figure

This (valuing youth players) is something that could definitely be improved. I used to put a stiff price tag on the talented ones who were attracting interest from other clubs, mainly to prevent my DoF selling them for pittances. Now, though, the player has been given the option to kick up a fuss if they don't like the value you set. I really don't want to be spending time arguing with youth players...