Is there any way to stop extreme fixture congestion when you create a new tournament but replace it with an old tournament

MJB1986

I've created a British Cup and got rid of the League Cup. I've put the British Cup dates the same as the league cup dates but there's still extreme fixture congestion once I get to April and May. I'm not sure if the fixture priority for the British Cup is causing any of these problems but it makes either a few or no Premier League games are getting player in November, February and March and instead it's every 2 days I am playing Premier League games in April and May.

Is there anything I can do to get round this problem?

22 hours ago, alian62 said:

You can try ticking this option to see it it helps 

1898117183_Screenshot2022-03-12143819.thumb.png.2b8baf040ce9e5848027039dd3595767.png

There's also something like number of days until rescheduled game, so if there's a clash it defaults to trying to schedule it 1 week later (make it 1 or 2 days instead). If enough teams are having this issue then the game won't think there's time for league fixtures

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've  tried what you have suggested and it works to a degree. By that I am mean for 17 out of the 20 Premier League teams there isn't a fixture congestion problem but for the other 3 there is.

1 hour ago, Wolf_pd said:

Any European cups and other stuff that play up there as well?

With the Champions League and other European tournaments, it's not unusal for there to be 1 game playerd in September and Ocrober but then 4 games in December and in the quarter finals City and Liverpool played each other the next day after the first leg (so it would have meant literally no break for the squads).

Wondering if the CL having the staggered games (i.e. round of 16 first leg played over a few consecutive weeks instead of one week like the old days) is affecting that. Lower fixture priority of each stage of your Cup, and changing min/max days until rescheduled fixture (both already mentioned) are about all I can think of.

I realize changing your tournament isn't ideal, but you could make it so the teams in Europe come in at a later round, consider it a reward for being so good. Then hopefully the early round(s) go fine without them and when they come in later there's less issues.

Make sure to set up fixture dates, make sure the fixture clash days has a sensible number(2-3 days) and make sure teams from European competitions don't get entered until September. The last one is by far the most important, because if you do it by division reputation, then the Scottish and Welsh teams in Europe will have European qualifying matches on the same date as League Cup fixtures(Augst League Cup dates are the same date as European matches) that will lead on to knock-on fixture pileups and the entire thing will be a disaster.

To get European qualified teams first, making sure to use the "qualified teams" panel, first, get all qualified teams for all European competitions. You will need one entry for each European competition for each nation. Say one entry will be "Get All Qualified Teams for comp" from Champions League with nation of England, then one for Scotland etc., then do the same for the UEFA Cup and Intertwobob and set these teams to get seeding 0. Then get all teams from all divisions you wanna get teams from, and give them seeding 1.

When getting teams, get all qualified teams for your comp with seeding 0, sort them by whatever it is you sort them by, then do the same with the 1 seeded teams. Tick the "reverse teams" box on the main page of the stage.

5 hours ago, Dave Fairbairn said:

Make sure to set up fixture dates, make sure the fixture clash days has a sensible number(2-3 days) and make sure teams from European competitions don't get entered until September. The last one is by far the most important, because if you do it by division reputation, then the Scottish and Welsh teams in Europe will have European qualifying matches on the same date as League Cup fixtures(Augst League Cup dates are the same date as European matches) that will lead on to knock-on fixture pileups and the entire thing will be a disaster.

To get European qualified teams first, making sure to use the "qualified teams" panel, first, get all qualified teams for all European competitions. You will need one entry for each European competition for each nation. Say one entry will be "Get All Qualified Teams for comp" from Champions League with nation of England, then one for Scotland etc., then do the same for the UEFA Cup and Intertwobob and set these teams to get seeding 0. Then get all teams from all divisions you wanna get teams from, and give them seeding 1.

When getting teams, get all qualified teams for your comp with seeding 0, sort them by whatever it is you sort them by, then do the same with the 1 seeded teams. Tick the "reverse teams" box on the main page of the stage.

Dave, great to see you on here! Some of your old posts (dating back years and years) have been incredibly helpful with stuff like stadium selection and fixture dates. Found myself returning to them again and again when making international tournaments and sorting playoff seeding for the labyrinthine US lower divisions.

I have followed the advice everyone has given me which I appreciate.  However, there's still extreme fixture congestion. I have attached the file to this message. Can someone please look at it to see where I've gone wrong? Everything is okay until I got to October and there's just the British Cup game. No league or European games and it's causing a big fixture congestion. I've even made every round in the British Cup low priority.

BC no LC Low.fmf

Here's an example for FM21 of a working British Cup. Have a look at it and see what the possible difference could be.

It also uses a host nation with 3 venues. (1 60,000 venue for the final, 2 40,000 venues for semi finals(making the semi final single leg was the only way to fit the number of teams in without having certain teams playing on the same days as European matches or adding more dates, so I went with a host))

BC.fmf