Cup preliminary round treated as final

joaquin87

I had to create two stages in my cup because it has more than 1000 clubs (1000 is the maximum per phase). My problem is that the match of the first stage is considered as the final of the competition by the news and in the press conferences (I think also the management considers it as a final to analyze the coach's performance).

image.png.32df03d8cd5ccd75a3329288415612be.png

image.png.7c470d57fc65fe52880d2464ee00eadb.png

Two stages. Stage 0 just have one round which serves as a "preliminary round" to reduce the number of teams to less than 1000 (and to fit all of them in the same stage).

image.png.8cf55478cef499b4afd3d1655727956f.png

The winning teams of the preliminary round qualify to the next stage ("Fase principal" or "main stage").

This works perfectly, the winning teams participate in the next round as it should be. But I don't know why the atmosphere of the match is that of a final when the first match of the competition.

In game:

image.png.d2410cfb1c153e168a833056a4986faa.png

For example, there is a news about the preliminary round match. "Historic Copa Argentina final", "will appear in their first Copa Argentina final", "be appearing in their first Copa Argentina final in the club's 11 year history"

image.png.452d4291a8424a155f4cb845d3fed129.png

Other example from press conference:

Spoiler

image.png.d019102f27d438cf9f348b18750461bb.png

After win the preliminary round match:

Spoiler

image.png.51014932efca3495327ed920d0249eef.pngimage.png.ca18fbd6ddeaa6c2d2c6332c81f08d13.png

News after match:

Spoiler

image.png.ac7950cff6e80ad12a5dee3dbf6e9140.png

image.png.e8f81f2a8d50ec21ec8f4fdfd4edf7e1.png

The winner of the preliminary round is not recorded in the history of the competition, nor is the title added to the club's record. The rest of the competition (stage 1) works perfectly.

I guess this is a problem of expectations (ranking levels), but I don't know how to handle it.

There is my file to check out: Cup preliminary round treated as final.fmf

Competition is "Copa Argentina", the first "Copa Argentina (1119 ronda previa)" is the active format

image.png.9b9a570d7c5b66c52b1de219820a1c77.png

You need to set up ranking levels.

Example rankings set for 3 stages with teams:

First(cup) Stage:

1st Round:

Winner: Current/High ranking 0, Low ranking 8

Loser: All rankings 9

2nd Round:

Winner: Current/High ranking 0, Low ranking 7

Loser: All rankings 8

3rd Round:

Winner: Current/High ranking 0, Low ranking 6

Loser: All rankings 7

Second(Group, 32 teams, 4 teams per group) Stage:

1st and second place teams(teams 0 and 1): Current/High ranking 0, Low ranking 4

3rd place(team 2): All rankings 5

4th place(Team 3): All rankings 6

Third(cup) Stage:

1st Round:

Winner: Current/High Ranking 0, Low Ranking 3

Loser: All rankings 4

2nd Round:

Winner: Current/High Ranking 0, Low Ranking 2

Loser: All rankings 3

3rd Round:

Winner: Current/High ranking 0, Low Ranking 1

Loser: All rankings 2

4th Round:

Winner: All Rankings 0

Loser: All Rankings 1

You will also need to set the ranking level info to reflect which each ranking means. For instance, 0 being winner, 1 being team who reached the final, 2 being team who reached semi-final etc.

hace 4 horas, Dave Fairbairn dijo:

You need to set up ranking levels.

Example rankings set for 3 stages with teams:

First(cup) Stage:

1st Round:

Winner: Current/High ranking 0, Low ranking 8

Loser: All rankings 9

2nd Round:

Winner: Current/High ranking 0, Low ranking 7

Loser: All rankings 8

3rd Round:

Winner: Current/High ranking 0, Low ranking 6

Loser: All rankings 7

Second(Group, 32 teams, 4 teams per group) Stage:

1st and second place teams(teams 0 and 1): Current/High ranking 0, Low ranking 4

3rd place(team 2): All rankings 5

4th place(Team 3): All rankings 6

Third(cup) Stage:

1st Round:

Winner: Current/High Ranking 0, Low Ranking 3

Loser: All rankings 4

2nd Round:

Winner: Current/High Ranking 0, Low Ranking 2

Loser: All rankings 3

3rd Round:

Winner: Current/High ranking 0, Low Ranking 1

Loser: All rankings 2

4th Round:

Winner: All Rankings 0

Loser: All Rankings 1

You will also need to set the ranking level info to reflect which each ranking means. For instance, 0 being winner, 1 being team who reached the final, 2 being team who reached semi-final etc.

Thank you, this was very helpful.

Do the losers always have to have the same ranking in current/high/low or can I configure them this way?

image.png.dd65a62605a8824bf133d8271cf630d9.png

Thank you @Dave Fairbairn, issue is now solved following your example

I needed to descend a little into the madness to do this but now work fine

In 'ranking level info' i set this

image.png.004cbe231202ee29a0acca7f5c4ba650.png

Then, in each round i complete ranking levels

Preliminary round now have 0 to 99 for winners and 100 for losers. In game does not show the match as a final anymore.

image.png.314b28d247c979225df93c22dffb40c5.png

First round:
winners: 0 to 98
losers: 99

image.png.0fd035beae0fa20b270cb3df0be66548.png

Quarter final
winners: 0 to 3
losers: 4 to 7
image.png.b63b9d255184ac36042c844f1cdcb4c5.png

I don't know if it's exactly as it should be, but I'm glad it's working better than before. Not only the problem of the preliminary round, but now also the expectations seem to be more detailed, i.e., now the board put the goal on reaching specific round.

FYI you only need Highest and Lowest rankings set for losers if they have more games, eg. losing semi finalists that go to a third place playoff. If they're out of the tournament completely then you only need to set the current ranking.

Rankings is where the board get expectations.

From the pictures, there's one thing you're, it's not wrong exactly, it'll work, just that you may find handy for larger tournaments. Like Rusty said, you can have more than one team on each ranking. For instance, unless there is a third place playoff, you can set both semi-final losers to 2, then all quarter final losers to 3. The rankings are simply there to tell you how many teams get to which round.

You can even use them on a league with multiple stages to tell the board how to react to each stage.

Yes.

The only real limit on number of teams is that there is a limit of 500 matches per round(whether a round of fixtures for a group stage or a cup round).

It's not really a hard limit, as for instance, I've made cup stages that have contained over 2,000 teams, and simply staggered team entry over several rounds so that no round has more than 1,000 teams.

hace 8 horas, Dave Fairbairn dijo:

Rankings is where the board get expectations.

From the pictures, there's one thing you're, it's not wrong exactly, it'll work, just that you may find handy for larger tournaments. Like Rusty said, you can have more than one team on each ranking. For instance, unless there is a third place playoff, you can set both semi-final losers to 2, then all quarter final losers to 3. The rankings are simply there to tell you how many teams get to which round.

You can even use them on a league with multiple stages to tell the board how to react to each stage.

Thanks a lot. I used the ranking levels in the leagues and I think it looked pretty good. Although maybe now that I understand a little better I could take a look at that (some playoffs mainly).

hace 7 horas, cleiria dijo:

How many teams you need to your cup?

Is possible to change the number of teams editing the editor files.

hace 7 horas, Dave Fairbairn dijo:

Yes.

The only real limit on number of teams is that there is a limit of 500 matches per round(whether a round of fixtures for a group stage or a cup round).

It's not really a hard limit, as for instance, I've made cup stages that have contained over 2,000 teams, and simply staggered team entry over several rounds so that no round has more than 1,000 teams.

The competition have 1119 teams. Before the patch 22.3 it had only one stage because there were only 1,000 teams in Argentina.

I would like to make the competition a single stage again if possible. No round has more than 500 matches

You will have to save your editor data as uncompressed XML(using the export function in the file menu), then using a text editor such as Notepad to manually edit the "number_of_teams" value(or the min/max values, if that's what you're using) for the stage in question to the number you require if the number is over 1,000. Just make sure to set it, then give it a unique number of teams you can find using the search function to make things easier since editor data files can be 100s of pages long.

I would recommend using Notepad++ for doing this, as it shows formatting of XML data to make it easier to read.