Flexible potentials

Mr.e

I mean, nothing is set in stone in life. There are some of the greatest players past and present who no-one thought they'd reach the heights they have, but they did. And there were some who everyone expected to shine and didn't. So to have a player with a fixed potential, say 112 or 180 isn't very realistic. 

For example, if on a save I have a foolproof tactic that works for me, and I have a player, average potential, say 139, whom the tactic fits very well, isn't it possible for the player to reach new heights? Become more consistent and become better overall? The same vice versa if a player with 180 potential is in a team with tactics that don't quite suit him. I know people adapt, but what I'm saying is nothing should be set in stone like that.

In fm21 I once had a CB, Nelson Mpondo, God bless him. The most consistent player I ever had, but his tackling and marking were 13 and 14 respectively. Mind you this guy regularly made goal defying tackles and I had a lot of clean sheets, but the fact that these two stats didn't increase drives me a bit. And I know other people would have similar complaints.

I know there is also a possibility of no change, but I'd really love not to see some players that play well in my team shoved out because they couldn't step up and be better because they're abilities have been "fixed".

I hope this is read.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

The PA does indeed have a hidden range that skews either side of the figure shown, so what you're asking for is already in the game, even if it isn't always noticable - I promise ;)