How's everybody feeling about the Inside Forwards this year?

Now that even on Support, they're hard coded to Get Further Forward

I must admit, they were a staple for me prior to this year but I find just that one little instruction has them being a tad too offensive for what I want, so I've been using the Inverted Winger a lot more this year, I didn't really see the point of them before but they've won me over and are a better fit for me 

If I want to use an IF(S) now, I have to think a bit more and make sure I'm not isolating him. IF(A) is no different, I'll still use those as I usually would   

Has it bothered you? Have you had to adapt?  Have you noticed any difference?

This is purely a tactical thread, no grumbles about dribbling please :D

You received an upvote purely for the last line. :D

I've had to adapt a little. I use an IF/A on the left and an IF/S on the right.

The IF/A obviously a pure goal scorer though he gets the odd assist. Right now he is 10(2) with 10 goals and 2 assists. 7.38 avg rating.

The IF/S used to be (pre FM22) a creator more than a scorer for me. I'd often see roughly 60-70% assists vs 30-40% goals ratio. This has (with the increased individual mentality meaning more aggressive forward runs) swapped completely for me this year. On FM22, he has 8(2) with 6 goals and 3 assists. 7.45 avg rating, so I can't complain.

Where I have adapted compared to FM20 and FM21 (with a very similar tactic) is that I have a DLF who now has Hold Position. He's now more of the creator that the IF/S was in previous years. I have used two players in this position in this season. The first is 7(5) with 3 goals and 3 assists. The second has 5 starts for 0 goals and 3 assists.

Imo, if I still want to go back to having more of a creator on the left, I still have options to do so. I can experiment with the IW/S or a Treq/A. I have actually created a version of my default tactic with a Treq in the place of the IF/S but I haven't used it very much yet, so can't tell if it's what I want or not, yet.

11 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

You received an upvote purely for the last line. :D

:lol:

11 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

The IF/S used to be (pre FM22) a creator more than a scorer for me

Yeah, 100%, previously IF(S) creator, IF(A) goalscorer. Now with this little tweak, the difference between them isn't all that much and I have to watch now my with CM & flank roles that he's not getting forward without any support. Like you say, you have to watch your striker role closely too, especially when using dual IFs because potentially all three players could be Getting Further Forward

19 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Imo, if I still want to go back to having more of a creator on the left, I still have options to do so. I can experiment with the IW/S or a Treq/A. I have actually created a version of my default tactic with a Treq in the place of the IF/S but I haven't used it very much yet, so can't tell if it's what I want or not, yet.

I've defaulted now to the IW(S), had never really used it much and looked down on it as an inferior IF :lol:  but you know, he'll sit a little deeper like how the IF(S) used to and it's fine. The wide Treq is one I need to have a play around, you don't see it used much when so many players are natural WIngers, IFs etc      

3 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I've defaulted now to the IW(S), had never really used it much and looked down on it as an inferior IF :lol:  but you know, he'll sit a little deeper like how the IF(S) used to and it's fine. The wide Treq is one I need to have a play around, you don't see it used much when so many players are natural WIngers, IFs etc     

Why I have stayed away from the IW/S (I did try it early on to replace the IF/S role) is that the role stays too wide and doesn't suit my setup. I have a fullback that makes late overlaps (which is more difficult if the IW is hugging the line) and a DLP who can drift away from the IW/S, so that can leave him isolated.

As I'm typing this I realise that I could still use the IW/S, have the fullback underlap him (which also sees him being closer to the DLP) and then the tactic might actually work. I need to get home to try this. :lol:

3 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I need to get home to try this. :lol:

I'm like that, sitting at work thinking "I can't wait to get home and look for a wide Trequartista" :lol:

5 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Why I have stayed away from the IW/S (I did try it early on to replace the IF/S role) is that the role stays too wide and doesn't suit my setup

I'd not noticed that but I reduce the width a tad so maybe that brings him infield enough for me not to notice? Something else for to look at

I'd always assumed that IWs had Cross More Often hard coded, I literally thought they were just that, an Inverted Winger ie the same PIs as a Winger but runs infield rather than wide. Can be an eye opener sometimes just looking properly and not making assumptions  

Pure mental goal scorer.  I tend to create channels for him to rampage through, its not hard. If you can pin the defenders down the IF will just come in and give you 30 goals easy in a season.

Here's how I had to adapt at Maidenhead

Untitled.png.947c908ae519cb753f17c57a725c9220.png

A pretty bog standard 4-2-3-1 for me, at first I had the wide flank players roles flipped and found with the CM(D) on the side of the IF(S) , the CM was nowhere near the IF. The IF on the left with the FB(S) and CM(S) ensures there's no gaping hole when we attack. The IF has 8 goals in 17 & the IW 2 in 17, so even on Support the IF is contributing to the goal tally nicely  

@themadsheep2001 see i'm struggling getting them to score, i've got a set up of 433 set up like below, but maybe the af is preventing them or should i change the mezzala 

Af

IF(a)                          IW(s)

Mezzala (s) and Cm (A) 

9 hours ago, kjpro said:

@themadsheep2001 see i'm struggling getting them to score, i've got a set up of 433 set up like below, but maybe the af is preventing them or should i change the mezzala 

Af

IF(a)                          IW(s)

Mezzala (s) and Cm (A) 

I think the issue here is the mez running into the same half space as the IF. Change it to a CM (s) and see how that works for you.

On 01/04/2022 at 03:04, themadsheep2001 said:

They are just lethal, so much fun to play with.

They are certainly more lethal and like what Johnny Ace described, with the IF on support having little difference from the attack duty one, then what purpose goalscoring wise does the raumdeuter serve? Is the raumdeuter for use with a player if his dribbling and technicals are not good but has good finishing and off the ball since the IF requires good dribbling and technicals? Basically an IF with poor dribbling?(raumdeuter).

3 hours ago, Jyuan83 said:

They are certainly more lethal and like what Johnny Ace described, with the IF on support having little difference from the attack duty one, then what purpose goalscoring wise does the raumdeuter serve? Is the raumdeuter for use with a player if his dribbling and technicals are not good but has good finishing and off the ball since the IF requires good dribbling and technicals? Basically an IF with poor dribbling?(raumdeuter).

Pretty much this. Raumdeuter is a player that relies much more on his Off the ball movement and other mentals. So moving into attacking positions without the ball. IF is one that is better at with the ball movement like carrying the ball, dribbling.

I have one with 19 long shots and cannot get him to shoot. Got him roaming inside from the right onto his left foot, support duty to get him to stay outside the box but nada. He just ends up fluffing chances at the far post instead.

I'd try a wide playmaker but for some incomprehensible reason they're hard coded not to shoot despite most of them being pretty good at it, or an inverted winger but you're not allowed to tell them to dribble a bit less, or a trequartista but they're hard coded to be lazy without the ball, or or or etc etc etc... sometimes the limitations on roles can be really frustrating

5 hours ago, kjpro said:

@bababooey

still not been able to get my IF to score that many, how are you setting it up?

I'd rather not hijack this thread by posting what my tactic is. If you're having trouble with your tactics, you should start a post and give as much detail as possible so people can help.

16 hours ago, kjpro said:

@bababooey

still not been able to get my IF to score that many, how are you setting it up?

I have no problem showing you my system. Hopefully it can help :)

tactic.png.1270838e753a633166d5c23f991a6dbb.png.576030a424212fa0e6a82dc2dee41f9f.png

It's a rather simple tactic that's all about getting the best out your central striker and the two wide attackers. So far it's getting the best out of CF with Gerard Moreno scoring 24 goals for us last season. But the Inside Forward and IW have not been slouches either. I have been rotating 4 players between those two roles and they got over 40 goals between the four of them. If you want to read more about my tactical system, then check the last page of my thread.

If you have any questions, you can always DM me.

Edited by crusadertsar

13 hours ago, ceefax the cat said:

I'd try a wide playmaker but for some incomprehensible reason they're hard coded not to shoot despite most of them being pretty good at it, or an inverted winger but you're not allowed to tell them to dribble a bit less, or a trequartista but they're hard coded to be lazy without the ball, or or or etc etc etc... sometimes the limitations on roles can be really frustrating

I'd love a blank role in every position, I wanted a hybrid the other day between a DLF(S) & PF(S), I basically wanted a DLF that didn't move into channels or a PF that didn't try and hack the defenders. It's been asked for many times around here, I just don't think the AI would cope very well with them  

Yeah it would be nice to have a blank (or mostly blank) role in the striker position. They're all forced to do something. The midfield is very customizable, but strikers are all specialized.

20 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

I have no problem showing you my system. Hopefully it can help :)

tactic.png.1270838e753a633166d5c23f991a6dbb.png.576030a424212fa0e6a82dc2dee41f9f.png

It's a rather simple tactic that's all about getting the best out your central striker and the two wide attackers. So far it's getting the best out of CF with Gerard Moreno scoring 24 goals for us last season. But the Inside Forward and IW have not been slouches either. I have been rotating 4 players between those two roles and they got over 40 goals between the four of them. If you want to read more about my tactical system, then check the last page of my thread.

If you have any questions, you can always DM me.

This reminds of the current Tan Hag system being used at Ajax! I think a lot of people default to the standard 4231 but I think this is much more representative.

1 hour ago, milestobudapest said:

This reminds of the current Tan Hag system being used at Ajax! I think a lot of people default to the standard 4231 but I think this is much more representative.

That's is actually the intention of the tactic :) Loosely inspired by Tan Hag's Hybrid 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. 

I can't get anything out of IF this year, no matter who the player is on that role.

Right now i have a player with 1 assist and 0 goals in 17 games as IF (A) and it seems impossible to make him play good. He always gets a 6,4 or under.

My tactic is like this:

AF (A)

IF (A)                           W (A)

CM (A) Mez (S)

WB (S) CB (D) CB (D) FB (S)

Everyone on the left side is playing like garbage. My IF (A), CM (A) and WB (S) is getting 6,4 or under every single game. What can i change here?  I tried swapping my CM (A) with a B2B and it was the exact same. Heeeelp

16 minutes ago, LasseT95 said:

I can't get anything out of IF this year, no matter who the player is on that role.

Right now i have a player with 1 assist and 0 goals in 17 games as IF (A) and it seems impossible to make him play good. He always gets a 6,4 or under.

My tactic is like this:

AF (A)

CM (A) Mez (S)

Everyone on the left side is playing like garbage. My IF (A), CM (A) and WB (S) is getting 6,4 or under every single game. What can i change here?  I tried swapping my CM (A) with a B2B and it was the exact same. Heeeelp

when i pick IFa/s, i always tick sit narrow and roam, because basically IF is a winger who will go wide if he doesn't get the ball. IF was given a better finishing talent compared to other wingers. he is like the second striker in your team. with PPM move into channel or cut inside or try beat offside trap and additional place shot it really helps in his movement.

On 31/03/2022 at 08:22, Rashidi said:

Pure mental goal scorer.  I tend to create channels for him to rampage through, its not hard. If you can pin the defenders down the IF will just come in and give you 30 goals easy in a season.

Can IF-Support work in a Liquid 4-3-3 DM where he's the primary goalscorer? How should the roles around him be set up? I'm guessing he would need WB-Support behind him instead of IWB. 

5 hours ago, LasseT95 said:

My tactic is like this:

AF (A)

CM (A) Mez (S)

It's far from impossible :thup: You've too many DJs

What I mean is, 4 out of 5 players in your M,AM & A stratas are on attack plus a Mezzela (Gets Further Forward), you've also only got 9 outfield players :D

Look how I was set up at Maidenhead, the AF would score 30+ goals a season, the IF(S) was good for double digit goals and assists 

If you want the best from your IF, something like this would suit:

DLF(A)

IF(A)                                W(S)

CM(S)    CM(A)

A(D)

WB(S)   CD(D)     CD(D)    FB(S)

or for the AF(A):

AF(A)

IF(S)                                W(S)

CM(S)    CM(A)                            

A(D)

WB(S)   CD(D)     CD(D)    FB(S)

The CM(A) could also be a BBM(S) or a MEZZ(S/A)

It may seem boring, but in the first set up you've penetration from deep, the IF as a goal scoring threat from wide and the DLF linking up and looking to score. The CM(S) & W(S) support play and keep things a bit more defensively solid rather than try and force things. Moving your most offensive CM over to the right, a) gives him complete freedom to get forward b) Gives the IF plenty of space with sufficient support 

In the second setup, pretty much the same as above but the AF(A) is the out and out goalscorer with the IF being more of a creator/scorer 

May your Inside Forward flourish :thup: 

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/03/2022 at 15:29, HUNT3R said:

Why I have stayed away from the IW/S (I did try it early on to replace the IF/S role) is that the role stays too wide and doesn't suit my setup.

That's my issue with both the IF and IW. Even with "Sit Narrower" they position themselves WAY too wide, in my opinion. Especially when you've set up an overlapping partnership, they still insist on occupying the flank instead of drifting into the halfspace.

Edited by Christopher S