Why can't my team hit the target?

in my save this year, my team consistently gets less than 25% of their shots on target. The conversion rate of shots on target to goals is fine, and it's not a massive issue causing me to lose games but I routinely get 12-15 shots but less than 5 on target and I don't really know why, my team's attributes are good, and I play a style that if anything should lead to less shots overall but a high percentage on target. I don't have players with "shoots from distance" trait, I have work ball into box on, shoot less often on several players, I want a very patient controlling style where we don't give away possession with speculative shots, and we don't take many from outside the box but my players seem to miss average shots by miles

Is your tempo fairly high? How are your player work rates and stamina? If your tactic intensity is into the red, your players are likely too frenzied to get accurate shots on a regular basis. Not a bad strategy against a very solid defense, but it definitely does lead to the situation you describe.

Another possibility is that your strikers are just going through a bit of a funk. Perhaps they need more focus with a good kick in the pants, or be put on the bench for a while. Perhaps you picked up some very inconsistent performers, which will (ironically) do consistently worse than their stats would indicate they should. Lots of possibilities here, and hard to determine without pics of tactic, the players, and perhaps some match stats.

1 set all your tactics to work into the box

2 check your goal scorers, any of them that have bad long shot edit there personal instructions to “shoot less often”.

This will cause your team to shoot less but be patient for good shots rather than wasting opportunity. If this still doesn’t work, get new strikers.