Europa league bug or wad?

I was in the Europa League in the 22/23 season and finished second in the group stage, which meant I had to play in the knockout round play-offs against the teams coming from the Champions League. I was drawn against Ajax and lost the match 1-0. The problem is that I was eliminated from the competition outright, without being able to play a second leg, the same happened for all the other matches. Have the rules for the Europa League been changed? I was pretty sure there were supposed to be 2 legs.

20220429000923_1.jpg

Untitled.png

Edited by Blackwolfpt

8 hours ago, jim owen said:

the knockout round playoff is a single leg game. Check the rules of the competition in the in game tab

That's incorrect. I even attached this year's Europa League where you can clearly see two legs were played between teams.

6 hours ago, sdx15 said:

The KO round is single-legged due to the winter World Cup. Everything's back to normal next season.

I thought it could have been that, but I found no mention of rule changes anywhere and on wikipedia it even shows the date of both legs for next season.

Untitled2.png

Untitled.png.f08e1e12513864ad54c6635d67e54788.png

Edited by Blackwolfpt

Yeah, in real life there are no changes to the KO round (and last 16 if I recall correctly), but those dates were published this year so SI had to guess what the competition calendar would look like.

Edited by sdx15

2 hours ago, Blackwolfpt said:

That's incorrect. I even attached this year's Europa League where you can clearly see two legs were played between teams.

Apologies, i should have been clearer, the in game rules state this to be the case, hence it isn't a bug. I believe the game came out before the competition structure had been finalised with the impact of Qatar Winter world cup and there was a number of different possibilities being discussed

4 hours ago, sdx15 said:

Yeah, in real life there are no changes to the KO round (and last 16 if I recall correctly), but those dates were published this year so SI had to guess what the competition calendar would look like.

2 hours ago, jim owen said:

Apologies, i should have been clearer, the in game rules state this to be the case, hence it isn't a bug. I believe the game came out before the competition structure had been finalised with the impact of Qatar Winter world cup and there was a number of different possibilities being discussed

Yeah, that makes sense. I didn't know UEFA had only announced the calendar recently, so SI had to guess as best as possible, what would happen, so definitely working as designed.

Thanks for the clarification!

Edited by Blackwolfpt

It had actually been reported to SI on 2 January this year, meaning they had roughly 3 and a half months to change 1 single field but they chose not to.

The responses were: "As alluded to, this decision was taken to ease the fixture congestion ahead of the 2022 World Cup. It will return to two legs the following season.  " & "I can understand the feelings of difference but we have explained why the decision was taken as a result of some game play considerations."

I've always returned the second legs via the editor and have not come across any issues so I don't get why SI actually does this if it's not done irl?