How to Transfer Team Captain and Leader

So, I am in the Lower Leagues.

I have a good STC, not great, that is the Team Captain AND my Dynamics says he is a team leader. He makes about x2 as much as any other player I have.

His Contract expires and I am wondering if it might not be better to try and sell him in the January transfer window as I will not be able to resign him, nor do I really want to.

What are the best approaches I can take without destroying the great morale my team has?

If overall morale is fine in the team the leaving of a single player will not devastate your team as a whole. More important than who is team leader is the overall hierarchy in the team including you. When you click on yourself in the pyramid it should show you any players that either have no real meaning or worse oppose you. Those are the only ones you have to care about in these situations. The rest will be fine, worst case one or 2 will come to you and complain that you let him go.

In terms of financial viability: sell the player before the contract runs out if you dont have any intention to keep him. Any money you can still make of him is money you can invest in replacements plus you will reduce your wage budget substantially from what i read of your post. I had a similar situation in my last save where the attacking midfielder was really good, a team leader but wanted insane money for any contract renewal. I sold him too in the winter break and had the team leader come to me and complain that we let him go afterwards. Since overall happiness was high and i had made sure to constantly praise good performances and training my relation to almost all players where pretty high already. That countered the leaving of the 'star player'.

Not sure if this helps you, but one of my Team Leaders was a Star Player. I go through playing time agreements every now and and then and see what the agents say on reducing playing time statuses and drop them all down as low as I can. I was able to drop him down to a Regular Starter, his agent said he'd be fine with it, no drama ensued 

End of the month, his status in the squad was reduced and somebody else stepped up as a Team Leader in his place because of his reduction in playing time (his play time wasn't actually cut down, just his playing time status)

Could be be worth trying that 

Captaincy changes aren't normally a problem