club application to move to a different country/federation

fmc181

I love playing in contries with smaller football tradition.

However, at some point, the game can get slightly boring as you become a local force at your own nation, but not strong enough to be competitive at european level.

It would be really cool if, under certain rules, it were possible to apply to move a club to a neighbour country/federation that has stronger leagues (as some teams have done in real life already.....vaduz (from lichtenstein) playing in switzerland, cardiff/wrexham/swansea/merthyr (from wales) playing in england, etc.

It would make saves at smaller league nations (northern ireland, wales, iceland, etc.) much more fun!

Cheers!

Edited by fmc181

How often does this happen in real life? Also, none of those examples you've given were because those teams wanted to play in a bigger league.

• There is no football league in Liechtenstein. All Liechtenstein teams (including Vaduz) play in the Swiss leagues.
  • Swansea and Wrexham have always played in the English league system. Cardiff and Merthyr played in the Welsh leagues for only a few years before joining the Southern League in England. (Incidentally, the Welsh league champions TNS play their home games in England... but that's a different, more complicated story.)

There is one Northern Irish team playing in the Republic of Ireland - Derry City moved for political reasons, not football.

Yes, there's talk of Celtic and Rangers moving to the English leagues. That discussion's been going for many years but has never happened, for many reasons.

I also can't see how that can be implemented in FM. As well as the logistical reasons of moving a team from one country to another (and the league shake-ups that would happen in those two countries), SI would also have licencing reasons to contend with. I can't imagine the SPFL would be too happy about SI using their licences if their two biggest clubs could suddenly leave the SPFL to join the Premier League or the EFL.

• 2 weeks later...