Defending Set Piece

Brainless defending from a free kick costs me another defeat in the same game one of my players missed an open header at the back post from 3 yards out that hit the crossbar. I've barely played this game and it seems often something bizarre that punishes me, I also played some network games where I conceded 2 freak own goals.

You usually concede something like this when your team needs to train defensive set-pieces. Add defending free-kicks and corners to your training schedule and you'll be fine for a few months.

30 minutes ago, sdx15 said:

You usually concede something like this when your team needs to train defensive set-pieces. Add defending free-kicks and corners to your training schedule and you'll be fine for a few months.

If I need to train my players not to leave opposition wide open in the middle of the penalty area then we have ourselves a problem, it's basic common sense, I think you're trying to defend the indefensible. Have you ever seen a goal like that irl?

Edited by goodway

I'm not defending anything. I'm just explaining what's the game trying to "communicate" when you concede a goal like that. 

And, while it's uncommon, set-piece goals where someone is left unmarked in the box do happen. The game just doesn't have a better animation than this to show such goals.

22 minutes ago, sdx15 said:

I'm not defending anything. I'm just explaining what's the game trying to "communicate" when you concede a goal like that. 

And, while it's uncommon, set-piece goals where someone is left unmarked in the box do happen. The game just doesn't have a better animation than this to show such goals.

I shouldn't have assumed that but my original premise still stands and I don't think it's an animation issue more a poorly coded behaviour in this instance.

4 hours ago, goodway said:

I shouldn't have assumed that but my original premise still stands and I don't think it's an animation issue more a poorly coded behaviour in this instance.

Looks like a manager issue to me. The previous poster gave you the answer on how to deal with this problem.   It would be poorly coded behavior if it kept happening after you've spent weeks scheduling Defending-Free Kicks. 

10 hours ago, rsihn said:

Looks like a manager issue to me. The previous poster gave you the answer on how to deal with this problem.   It would be poorly coded behavior if it kept happening after you've spent weeks scheduling Defending-Free Kicks. 

I don't think you can blame a manager for that level of defending, previous poster stating an animation issue, are we saying the game doesn't have the animation to get close to opposition and make an attempt at a clearance.

I'm not suggesting an animation issue at all because this isn't a regular occurrence.    Your players are just disorganized and don't know which opposition players to mark.  This is solved by training your players on defending free kicks, as has already been suggested to you.  If you were a real life coach and your players failed to mark someone during a set piece, you would have them practice it following the match until they got things right, correct?  It is exactly the same with FM

27 minutes ago, rsihn said:

I'm not suggesting an animation issue at all because this isn't a regular occurrence.    Your players are just disorganized and don't know which opposition players to mark.  This is solved by training your players on defending free kicks, as has already been suggested to you.  If you were a real life coach and your players failed to mark someone during a set piece, you would have them practice it following the match until they got things right, correct?  It is exactly the same with FM

If that goal happened irl it would be grounds for lawsuit.

the game throws out stupid mistakes or unbelievable goals from time time mostly against you but sometimes for you as well. like the other posted said it could be a glitch in the matrix where the simulation cannot be effectively translated by the graphics engine. also i feel tried player with low concertation sometimes just seem to give up. that's what the match engine shows its probably the simulation factoring them being tired or making a mistake

On 04/07/2022 at 23:06, goodway said:

If that goal happened irl it would be grounds for lawsuit.

It has happened IRL plenty of times - free kick played while for some reason defending team is not ready for whatever reason.

In recent history and at the highest level - certain corner from TAA (Liverpool vs. Barcelona) comes to mind, but there are probably plenty of more less glaring examples on different league levels.

One thing to keep in mind - fatigue affects players at the end of the game, very much. Mistakes (both in attack and defence) are often made because of fatigue, and it's not very well noticable in FM. As far as I know the match engine doesn't take condition into account when calculating outcome based on attributes. Condition counts only towards probability of injury. So, a fast player is still as fast after 80-85' of constant running and sprinting, despite what his stamina says. But if you consider if a situation like this is realistic, towards the end of the game, the answer is yes.