Mark a specific position

How exactly does "mark specific location" work? No matter what I try, I have not yet figured out how it works. The explanations of the game about the role and the instruction are very terrible, it is not fully explained which instruction does what and how it works.

If you ask a player to mark a specific position, he will man mark any player who plays in that position. It's similar to specific man marking, but instead of marking a specific player, you're marking anyone in that position. Even when the starting player is subbed, the substitute in that position will also be man marked.

Example:  you're playing against Liverpool and you assign your LW to man-mark TTA who is at RB.  If Liverpool moves TTA to LB, your LW will continue to man-mark him which will create obvious problems.  If instead, you assign your LW to man mark Liverpool's D(L), then if Liverpool switches TTA to LB, your LW will continue to man mark whoever takes TTA's place at RB.  

One advantage to man-marking a specific player is that if you man-mark TTA and Liverpool subs him off, your LW will not mark TTA's replacement who is certainly a lesser player.

One thing not clear to me:  if you assign your LW to man-mark Liverpool's D(L), then Liverpool switches to a 3-at-the-back formation and moves TTA forwards to WB(R), will your LW continue to man-mark him?  If not, there is another advantage to man-marking the player instead of the position.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13.07.2022 at 07:56, HUNT3R said:

If you ask a player to mark a specific position, he will man mark any player who plays in that position. It's similar to specific man marking, but instead of marking a specific player, you're marking anyone in that position. Even when the starting player is subbed, the substitute in that position will also be man marked.

This instruction is corrupt. I tell my LB player to mark the opponent's WB (R) player, but my player runs to ridiculous places on the field and the player I want to mark remains empty.

1 hour ago, ObeLisk said:

This instruction is corrupt. I tell my LB player to mark the opponent's WB (R) player, but my player runs to ridiculous places on the field and the player I want to mark remains empty.

That's because marking in FM has been broken in Fm for years.   Still not fixed in fm 22.  

Here's proof:  

13 hours ago, ta11zx said:

That's because marking in FM has been broken in Fm for years.   Still not fixed in fm 22.  

Here's proof:  

That's not proof. And we don't encourage people to post videos on the training and tactics forums.

Why is it wrong?
1. Each player/roles closing down zone can be different and defensive lines and lines of engagement can affect these.
2. Opposition instructions tight marking only kick in when a player enters the zone of the player. Whether he picks the player up depends on the marking, positioning, anticipation, concentration attributes plus other factors - will the player pick him up because it will lead to breaking of the team shape?

3. Opposition players do get tight marked within zones, otherwise I wouldnt be able to consistently get certain kinds of fullbacks intercepting the ball before it gets to the winger.

If you want someone tracked across the pitch it can't be done via OI tightmarking or team tight marking since this is zonally based. Players can also decide in game not to do it, if for example: a player is tired, complacent. Players will sometimes not adhere to instructions, which is why you could have different matches using the same team. And then you have hidden attributes that can affect a player, how he handles pressure for example.

Even if someone were to give every player 15 for all attributes, you will still find that some players will behave differently from others.

In future, if its a discussion you want to have, then do it without posting videos as a point.

And if people feel that a feature in the game isn't working as intended, please raise it as a bug in the appropriate forum. Then SI can investigate, and if its the case, it will be addressed. As far as I am aware it isn't.

17 hours ago, ObeLisk said:

It depends on what instructions and role you have as well for example if you tell your LB to mark and you tell your team to counter press then he may not mark properly or as well with that instruction. Also you have to consider that your LB has to mark the opponent RWB so he has to cover the flank by himself, the striker, winger or central midfielder can easily overload that side, so it's not really corrupt if your asking too much of your left back. If you really want your LB to stick close to the RWB then just use mark specific player but at the same time it kind of difficult to know what situation you are in without mentioning your tactic or at least a screenshot of the game that this instruction failed in. Right now, I'm assuming your wingerless and personally I wouldn't mark the opposition wingback if played such a tactic.