When to rest players? Pros, cons?

I often rest players for 2 days if the next match takes place 3-4 days after last one.

Is there any reason to not do this? When might another approach be better?

In particular I wonder what is better for the development of young players, especially those aged 17 and younger. All else being equal, not training is bad for development. But on the other hand, game time at a high level is good for development, especially for players aged 18 and older I understand.

Edited by danej

At most, I rest certain tired players, who will play the next match, for 1 day and they are almost always fit for the next match.  And rest players who are at very high or higher injury risk.  I like to have good backups and try to rotate certain positions.  Obviously, I can't do this if I'm playing top teams in succession.  

Also, in the second half of the season, during packed months, I will lower the automatic training intensity, especially at the lower fitness levels.  So if this is my standard setup for the first-half of the season:

image.thumb.png.2d8fe8aa309d1a643821e324fd3892f1.png

I'll switch to something like this if the second half is crowded with league games and cup matches:

image.thumb.png.d9fac9c1ad731bc1e6a53fffd8e28793.png

That way, fit players, who aren't playing, are still training harder.

Another factor is that if I am about to play tough or important matches, I'll schedule more match preparation and set piece training sessions and those are less intense.  A day after the match set for this is very low intensity, especially if a player has his automatic intensity set for 'no pitch or gym work' or 'half intensity':

image.png.953e0a11b3bc8da849f76c2b9be3bf3e.png

Of course, that day is of little use to a young player who hasn't played the last match.  And I will sometimes give a tired player a whole day off.

One downside to promoting youth players to your senior squad is that they will miss a lot of training, especially if they are playing in youth matches which are on different days from the senior matches:  you lose training on (1) the day of the youth match; (2) the day after the youth match (for recovery); (3) the day(s) of the senior match; and (4) any sessions which are dedicated to senior team match preparation or recovery. 

I like to schedule a good number of match preparation and set piece training sessions.  Some don't agree, but I think those are largely wasted on youth players who need to focus on improving attributes and personalities.

Edited by glengarry224