The maximum save size of an FM game ?

Hello. Some time when I reached the capacity of 1.99 GB, the game prevented me from save game further and only after reducing the number of leagues I could continue to save. Does the save have a lifetime in terms of capacity? Currently I have 1.96 Gb and only the Swedish league and soon I will not be able to continue my career in FM18 when it comes to 1,99 Gb

Edited by SicinskiPawel

I'm not sure if its in FM18 but in preferences you do have the option to compress save games for a smaller file. Might be worth trying that.

Likely going to have to accept that there are going to be a number of issues I know with some particularly large save files I had many moons ago it was just a case of retrying to load/save them sometimes needing multiple attempts and not having much else open on the laptop I used at the time. That may have been more of a hardware rather than game issue however.

35 minutes ago, santy001 said:

I'm not sure if its in FM18 but in preferences you do have the option to compress save games for a smaller file. Might be worth trying that.

Likely going to have to accept that there are going to be a number of issues I know with some particularly large save files I had many moons ago it was just a case of retrying to load/save them sometimes needing multiple attempts and not having much else open on the laptop I used at the time. That may have been more of a hardware rather than game issue however.

It just looks as if the game had a coded limit of 1.99 GB and it did not allow to exceed 2 GB of capacity. My iCore 7 laptop and 16 GB RAM.

The save of the game takes more than 3 minutes.

Edited by SicinskiPawel

Game file saves will depend on how many leagues you have running, size of player database, if keeping retired player history etc. As mentioned try compressing saves, will take more time

Save files of 2GB (GigaBytes) looks very excessive. I have a custom database (a lot of players) and around 11 active leagues and my save files are around 180MB (MegaBytes)

Edit - Its likely that your PC may have run out of space so consider deleting older / unwated FM game saves, other unwanted data on your PC

1 hour ago, MrPompey said:

Game file saves will depend on how many leagues you have running, size of player database, if keeping retired player history etc. As mentioned try compressing saves, will take more time

Save files of 2GB (GigaBytes) looks very excessive. I have a custom database (a lot of players) and around 11 active leagues and my save files are around 180MB (MegaBytes)

Edit - Its likely that your PC may have run out of space so consider deleting older / unwated FM game saves, other unwanted data on your PC

I have a lot of free space on the disk.My record is 4 years from 2018.I set the database to the highest with a lot of leagues 4 years ago and before that there was no problem, and the problem happened when the getting to the size of 1.99. all other leagues i deleted and I have left only the Swedish one. I do not have any logopacks or others and I play "clean", it seems to me that the game producer had to set a save limit for the game where it will not be saved anymore and as for the settings, I do not see this option in FM18 about compressed.

Oh boy, a limit on file size?!...

The other day my laptop suddenly warned me that my SSD drive was about full. I went to check, and found out that my FM auto save rolling files have taken over 20 GB of my SSD!   I deleted all the majority of old saves, and also reduced number of leagues even further, so to keep things manageable.

:confused:

39 minutes ago, phd_angel said:

Oh boy, a limit on file size?!...

The other day my laptop suddenly warned me that my SSD drive was about full. I went to check, and found out that my FM auto save rolling files have taken over 20 GB of my SSD!   I deleted all the majority of old saves, and also reduced number of leagues even further, so to keep things manageable.

:confused:

While the save goes down to 1.99 Gb, the game shows that the save was unsuccessful, I reduced the number of leagues to a few and the size was reduced to 1.96 and I was able to save further.My hard drive has over 100 Gb of free space so I don't know what the problem is ?

1 hour ago, Daveincid said:

There is a save game to download on fmscout for FM21 which is 1000 years in the future. The size is 3.7GB. So there seems to be no limitation at 2GB?

OP is playing FM18 though - FM20 onwards removed support for 32-bit operating systems (having to legacy support them meant it was limiting some features) so I think that might have increased the maximum file size going forwards.

A 2GB filesize (2 billion bytes) is approximately the same as the maximum 32-bit integer - 2,147,483,647 so it makes sense that the max filesize in FM19 and prior was set to that number.

Edited by autohoratio

vor 2 Minuten schrieb autohoratio:

OP is playing FM18 though - FM20 onwards removed support for 32-bit operating systems (having to legacy support them meant it was limiting some features) so I think that might have increased the maximum file size going forwards.

A 2GB filesize (2 billion bytes) is approximately the same as the maximum 32-bit integer - 2,147,483,647 so it makes sense that the max filesize in FM19 and prior was set to that number.

makes sense to me:thup:

I've been playing FM18 on this record since 2019, so it's been 3 years! Windows 10 64 bit, 16 GB RAM, iCore 7, the game still does not allow me to save when I have 1.99 GB! Original game on Steam, no add-ons installed, play raw.

I am asking for help from the technical department in this matter ;(

• Administrators
On 24/07/2022 at 12:46, autohoratio said:

Yeah, as FM18 was 32-bit as said this is likely the reason this issue is occuring.

At least gives someone else a shot at the record on a more recent 64-bit version! :brock:

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Yeah, as FM18 was 32-bit as said this is likely the reason this issue is occuring.

At least gives someone else a shot at the record on a more recent 64-bit version! :brock:

Maybe he should re-submit his entry to the Guinness Book of Records with the result of 500 seasons played because I already have 510 and 416 is definitely not enough :D

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, SicinskiPawel said:

Maybe he should re-submit his entry to the Guinness Book of Records with the result of 500 seasons played because I already have 510 and 416 is definitely not enough :D

I think definitely do your 'end point', absolutely. 

15 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

I think definitely do your 'end point', absolutely. 

So there are still a few weeks of fun with 4-year-old FM and then say goodbye to him and switch to FM22 and catch up. Beautiful 4 years, over 24,000. games played, over 500 seasons and over 1,300 trophies; (

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 15/08/2022 at 17:18, SicinskiPawel said:

@Neil Brock

So there is no salvation for my FM18 game save to continue playing?

Do versions FM21 and 22 have the same problem as FM18?

Thank you for your response !

No I don't believe there is. As FM21 and FM22 are 64-bit, would say there is a much larger chance this won't happen again. But as you may imagine, it's not something we've tested to this extreme level of save! 

7 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

No I don't believe there is. As FM21 and FM22 are 64-bit, would say there is a much larger chance this won't happen again. But as you may imagine, it's not something we've tested to this extreme level of save! 

I am a little surprised that such a bug exists in FM18 and probably in FM19, because operating systems in the 64 bit version were normal in those years and even earlier

It's not really a bug, it's a physical limitation of the technology used.  Whether 64 bit OS versions existed back then is irrelevant if no 64 bit FM versions existed.  

EDIT: Stand corrected based on what EdL says below

Edited by forameuss

• SI Staff
6 hours ago, SicinskiPawel said:

I am a little surprised that such a bug exists in FM18 and probably in FM19, because operating systems in the 64 bit version were normal in those years and even earlier

I'm stretching my memory but actually I think it was a bug, I think we accidently packed an offset into the file incorrectly as a 32bit value, I think I noticed it by accident when going through the code and fixed it up, I can't recall what version it was though I'm afraid, possibly it was after we went 64bit.

Mine will be one of those, sooner or later :| 

Well, if the bug has been removed in recent versions (I do REALLY hope it has at least from FM 2020 :) ) and following above reasoning, the maximum save size should be around 4 billions times larger (considering the maximum 64bit integer). Plenty of room there :D 

I am glad that the game saved allowed me to play over 400 seasons and get the Guinness world record in Fotball Manager 2018, because if I had only 300 seasons and could not continue to play, I would probably lay down on the ground and literally cryied :D

4 ore fa, SicinskiPawel ha scritto:

I am glad that the game saved allowed me to play over 400 seasons and get the Guinness world record in Fotball Manager 2018, because if I had only 300 seasons and could not continue to play, I would probably lay down on the ground and literally cryied :D

I know the feeling... two years ago I was in my 190 season (more or less) with FM 2015. Had to throw my save away as I got an irrecoverable database error :(

Btw, congrats for your achievement :) I have one question for you: how stable is FM regarding adding/removing leagues? I have some fear it may ruin the database somehow (I did that in FM 2015 some time before I started to have my issue...). I currently have several leagues, but I would like to add a couple more to have more realism in the South America region...

On 20/08/2022 at 20:50, apadovani said:

I know the feeling... two years ago I was in my 190 season (more or less) with FM 2015. Had to throw my save away as I got an irrecoverable database error :(

Btw, congrats for your achievement :) I have one question for you: how stable is FM regarding adding/removing leagues? I have some fear it may ruin the database somehow (I did that in FM 2015 some time before I started to have my issue...). I currently have several leagues, but I would like to add a couple more to have more realism in the South America region...

In FM18 I did not notice anything disturbing about adding leagues and removing, but I think it would be better to have the leagues that chose at the beginning of the game and only this problem with the game file size limit and with previous versions I do not know how it is.

Edited by SicinskiPawel

Hope this data may help. Most of the files listed below pertain to my main single save as I advanced through 13 seasons in FM22: Maribor, Valencia, Miami, and now Fiorentina in 2034. 

You'll see that until 2025, the save was relatively small (up to 300mb). Then, for some reason, by 2028, it reached 1Gb. Yet, it stayed at that size level over the following seasons, now into 2034.

I tend to trim down the number of small leagues, as I move up the promotion ladder.

Any insights?... 

image.png.c861249f4e896294da46d8f4635c2a07.png

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, KingOfSpadesBRO said:

Which versions of FM are 64 bit then? Is it FM19 onwards or FM20 onwards?

If I recall correctly, FM16 included 64-bit for first time. The issue is related to a bug which affects the versions where both 32-bit and 64-bit are supported. As per information in one the above comment, FM20 onward FM is only 64-bit. So, this issue will impact FM16-FM19.