Back ups per position

I pick a first team of 22 but will pick youth players or reserve players if there is a gap due to injury.  Although 22 only guarantees 2 per position, in reality there will likely be more options than that.  I probably go a bit overboard, but I pick my 22 in a little matrix at the start of every season (in spoiler).  This shows the overlap and positions being covered in my 22 currently.

Spoiler

image.png.b396ed4c67f86d5a5ea799ace9c4342a.png

5 hours ago, talino7 said:

How many back ups for each position do you typically have on your senior squad?

Depends upon your league, your team's expectations/level, the intensity of your tactics, the age and natural fitness of your players, the size and quality of your medical staff, and your schedule. 

For example, if you play in a reasonably sized league, have mostly superior and fit players, and will mostly play once per week, with some occasional league cup matches (most of which are against lesser teams), you won't need as many and can get away with some good and versatile utility players.  Even if a good starter goes down for 3 weeks, he might only miss a few games, likely 1-2 of those against weaker teams.

If you'll play a packed schedule of a large league (e.g. the Sky Bet Championship), and/or many cup matches (league cup plus continental), and you play an intense tactic, you'll need at least one per position, and players who can beat lesser opposition, especially if you are playing cup matches 'above your head'.   Look at West Ham irl this past season.  They lack quality depth and the added matches killed their fitness.

The makeup of your league means a lot.  If even the lower-half teams are not too far below you, you'll need better backups.  Versus, if the league is heavily unbalanced, you can get by giving time to youth prospects.

I aim to have every position covered, but that can include for e.g. central defender who can also play on one or other of the wide defensive positions. 

Further, I like to have a good second choice, a few years younger than the first choice, and ideally a youngster in addition who's on the verge of 1st team football and likely to be capable in a season or two.

Edited by du Garbandier